Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-12-2010, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Wall Mounting: A Solution to LCD/LED TV Viewing Angle Issues
Author: Ryan Hagberg

Despite major advances in technology, viewing angle remains a serious challenge for LCD and LED TVs. This paper will examine research on LCD viewing angle issues and show how full-motion and tilting wall mounts can alleviate this issue and help consumers get the most out of their television investment.

Walk into a local custom theater store or big box retailer, and it's hard not to be impressed. Row upon row of the latest and greatest LED and LCD TVs displaying bone crushing NFL hits and action scenes from the latest 3D movies. Yet, after dishing out thousands of dollars for a new set with picture enhancement technologies, such as dynamic backlight and dynamic color, consumers are often left asking the same question: Why doesn't my new TV picture look as good as it did at the store?

In many cases, the answer is simple geometry. LCD TVs may display awe-inspiring images when viewed front and center, but sit a few feet to the left or right and there is a noticeable loss of picture brightness as well as change in color. In fact, recent studies suggest the viewing range for seeing the most vivid picture on an LCD TV is merely one person wide. While TV manufacturers have taken small steps to address this issue in recent years, the most current Consumer Reports TV ratings indicate that over half the TVs tested received only a fair or good viewing angle scorewell below the excellent score that most tube-style TVs were rated at in past years. This paper will take a look at how viewing angle plays a vital role in getting the most out of the TV viewing experience. It will show that placing a TV on a full- motion (up and down, plus side-to-side motion) or tilting (up and down motion only) wall mount is the most effective way to overcome limitations posed by off-center viewing.

Read the complete article in our latest update at HomeToys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-17-2010, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Exactly what I did... I was even brand new to the HD world when my CRT died and I bought a new LCD. The next thing I did when I got home was buy a full motion (tilting/swiveling) wall mount because I wants to be able to watch it at exactly 90 degrees (tv screen to my eyes). I also like it because if I want to lay on the couch that isn't front and center to the TV, I just swivel it and its near perfect.

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Music: Yamaha RX-V863 | 2 X Energy RC-70 | MA RXw12 Sub

Bathroom: 2 X Energy Take LCR

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

post #3 of 5 Old 12-16-2010, 09:33 AM

Liked: 10
Or, you could have bought a plasma and not had the problem to begin with.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-16-2010, 11:01 AM

I don't mean to sound flippant as I might not be the target audience for this piece but doesn't it seem fairly obvious? To get rid of issues with viewing LCDs off-angle, just use a mount and turn the TV towards you.

I feel kind of like I just read an article that proposes ice cubes as the solution to warm drinks.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-05-2011, 11:35 AM

Another way to adjust angles is instead of wall mounting, buy one of those TV Stands/cabinets that will has a mount attached to it above the shelves. This can help you to adjust at any angle without the work of a wall mount!

Get a great TV cabinet and other accessories
Reply Community News & Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page