Netflix Raises Unlimited Plan Prices And Offers Stream-only Service - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 90 Old 11-23-2010, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by roknrol View Post

I've actually seen movies show up on the premium channels (HBO) before I received my disc from Netflix!

Same here. Yesterday I finally saw THE KILLER INSIDE ME, which was still a NF "Long Wait" Thankfully, it was on SHOWTIME and not HBO, so I also got to see it in OAR widescreen. But this has occurred before and is a further illustration of how NF cares little about its disc option. And why BB will now have my business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 90 Old 11-23-2010, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Even if you cut back from 3 Blu-ray to two, you get a $1.00 price increase AND you get one less disk. That's a triple dip from Netflix: fewer disks to buy, fewer disks to handle/ship, and $1.00 revenue increase.

The real problem with Netflix is that their plans are too rigid. For example, one Blu-ray at a time would be fine for me. The problem is, our household needs to stream three programs simultaneously. You can only run as many streams as you have DVDs. 1 DVD = 1 stream, 2 DVD = 2 streams and so on. I think Netflix created their own handling and shipping nightmare with this stupid concept. I had to needless increase my subscription to 3-at-a-time just to get three streams. I needlessly get three Blu-rays at a time, because you can mix-and-match DVDs and Blu-rays. For example 1 Blu-ray and 2 DVDs.

What I want is 3 or more simultaneous streams and 1 Blu-ray at a time. C'mon Netflix, get with the computer age...it would be easy to set up and price an ala carte service.

One last gripe: it is NOT unlimited streaming. You can only stream one program at a time. Unlimited streaming should mean unlimited streams. It's a misleading statement.
post #63 of 90 Old 11-23-2010, 07:28 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMenke View Post

Even if you cut back from 3 Blu-ray to two, you get a $1.00 price increase AND you get one less disk. That's a triple dip from Netflix: fewer disks to buy, fewer disks to handle/ship, and $1.00 revenue increase.

I don't see it that way. With 3 blu-rays at a time, the new price is $23.99 + florida tax is = $25.67 a month. (+$3.21 increase of what I am paying now at $22.46/month)

With 2 blu-ray at a time, it's $19.24 a month (included tax), and I will be paying -$3.22 less of what I am paying right now.
post #64 of 90 Old 11-23-2010, 07:31 PM

I resent having to pay six bucks more per month to subsidise a streaming service in which I have absolutely no interest. If its not on Bluray I'll watch it on satellite in 1080i. I've been a satisfied Netflix subscriber for ten years. This kind of customer abuse has me seeking alternatives.
post #65 of 90 Old 11-24-2010, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I never have used Netflix nor do we rent movies. However, when i read about their streaming service - thot we might be interested.
When we watch movies, now, on TV, we ONLY watch in HD. If it's not in HD, we don't watch. What I have learned here is that it appears that Netflix is not yet ready for prime time when it comes to delivering HD quality consistently.
We have fast internet from Comcast, so I think HD streaming should work. In any case, it wouldn't hurt to buffer a few minutes - assuming there's a box out there that can do that. I am usually an early adopter - but will wait until HD quality is the norm.
I just found out, today, Comcast imposes a 250G cap on data. It appears that w. out normal usage, we run less than 10G/mo. How much data does an hour of HD streaming use?
Thanks.

...mike
post #66 of 90 Old 11-24-2010, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I would guess a couple gigs more or less and yes their HD is not anywhere near blu-ray or even HD cable quality. It's slightly higher than DVD quality but with a blurred look to it, I don't like it.
post #67 of 90 Old 11-24-2010, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclepauly View Post
I would guess a couple gigs more or less and yes their HD is not anywhere near blu-ray or even HD cable quality. It's slightly higher than DVD quality but with a blurred look to it, I don't like it.
Thanks for the confirmation. Once you watch movies and sports in HD, you can never go back. The only thing we watch in SD is news.
Is there any online service, yet, that delivers HD quality via streaming? What I visualize is a service that lets you DL to a box and creates a buffer since most ISP speeds are fast enuf to handle an HD data stream. As I recall, you need 15 meg speed for true HD.

...mike
post #68 of 90 Old 11-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

3.4Gbps is all an HDMI 1.4 (1080p, true color, 3D) needs... Not sure if that covers sound.
post #69 of 90 Old 11-24-2010, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmCutter View Post
3.4Gbps is all an HDMI 1.4 (1080p, true color, 3D) needs... Not sure if that covers sound.
Most blu-rays don't come close to that. They're usually around 35-40Mbps video+audio.

That would make a two hour movie about 35GB.
post #70 of 90 Old 11-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Good to know! Unless my math is wrong 40Mb is WAY less than 15MB. Granted, I think you're doing well with half that but even with a 3rd, you're covered.
post #71 of 90 Old 11-24-2010, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmCutter View Post
Good to know! Unless my math is wrong 40Mb is WAY less than 15MB. Granted, I think you're doing well with half that but even with a 3rd, you're covered.
40Mb/s = 5MB/s

Remember, internet speeds are advertised with Mb (megabit) not MB (megabyte).
post #72 of 90 Old 11-24-2010, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

Is there any online service, yet, that delivers HD quality via streaming? What I visualize is a service that lets you DL to a box and creates a buffer since most ISP speeds are fast enuf to handle an HD data stream. As I recall, you need 15 meg speed for true HD.

I'm very happy with the buffered HD streaming via Zune on the Xbox 360. I have heard that Vudu HDX streaming is excellent...now available on the PS3.
post #73 of 90 Old 11-24-2010, 02:37 PM

I don't like how the current parental controls work.

First, a lot of kid friendly content is Not Rated or TV14 and my kids can not view with the PG-13 parental control turned on. Second, if the parental controls are turned on, my wife or I cannot watch anything over the PG-13 rating either. Maybe I have missed where I can turn the parental controls on and off on a per movie or TV show basis (like when I add movies to the queue) or if I haven't miss this function, Netflix needs to add this capability.
post #74 of 90 Old 11-24-2010, 05:33 PM

will be nice when everything is just digital and released the day after opening weekend in the theaters
post #75 of 90 Old 11-25-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC1223 View Post

will be nice when everything is just digital and released the day after opening weekend in the theaters

Being planned by Warners (at least for OnDemand). GREEN LANTERN is being considered to be one of the titles chosen for this. But they'll be charging something between $30 - $50 for the privilege.
post #76 of 90 Old 11-25-2010, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I dont have this service and I wonder if the 250gb cap on Comcast will be enough?
post #77 of 90 Old 11-25-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediSpork View Post

With x264 HD can have a lot lower bit rate and still look good.

You're right; I hadn't thought of that. But then, DTS HD-MA or Dolby TrueHD will add another - what - 10Mbps on top of that? The theoretical max of DTS HD-MA is 24.5Mbps but I'm pretty sure most Blu-ray discs don't approach that, or if they do, just for a little while.
post #78 of 90 Old 11-26-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobviolence View Post

Went from two discs with Blu-ray and streaming down to one disc with Blu-ray and streaming. My main gripe is that there are certain new releases that are in my queue that have been "long wait" now for months.

I've been trying to watch the final season of Lost since it aired (stupid me should have just DVR'd the episodes when they aired), and to this day I still cant get the first disc of season 6, and it's not available to stream.

Netflix is a great service, but raising prices when they don't have enough discs to satisfy demand is a colossal screwup.
So because of the price increase, they will now be getting less money from me.

Not really, there will certainly be people that drop the service altogether. That means more discs for everyone else.

Netflix doesn't really have any competition. Sure redbox and blockbuster express or whatever they call themselves but the streaming is a sweet feature.

Does anyone offer any streaming besides netflix?
post #79 of 90 Old 11-26-2010, 01:56 PM

anyone that is also full service? not really. but other streaming only options exist. For example, I've used amazon VOD a ton. They often have specials on new releases for 99 cents or close.
post #80 of 90 Old 11-26-2010, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
^^

I too like amazon on demand. I've used them mostly for tv shows. They have a ton of current shows. Odd that it is available on my samsung 6800 but not on samsung 6500 blu ray.

Bob

post #81 of 90 Old 11-26-2010, 05:12 PM

Liked: 16
Cables companies have fought hard against al a carte. Yet even at 2.99 a episode from amazon I can come out ahead vs having a cable bill when combined with a ota dvr.
post #82 of 90 Old 11-26-2010, 09:49 PM

Liked: 16
I'm disappointed that it appears NF is moving away from discs. While we use the streaming, I don't use it for what I'd call "critical" viewing. Some old or foreign movies, or TV shows that aren't out on blu-ray anyway are fine, but if something is available on blu, that's how I want to view it. I'll be dropping from the 3 disc to 2 disc because of this increase. I've been with them since 2000.

I've been saying for a while that bandwidth limitations will stifle (quality) streaming at some point. NF is banking on it not affecting them, but since they don't control the bandwidth like the cable companies do, it will catch up to them eventually. Also, there are still many people who do not have the service to allow streaming. I currently do, but plan to move back to a community that will probably never have a service available with adequate bandwidth. Bandwidth caps will also come into play.

I'm also afraid like others that quality is losing out to expediency and portability. We have equipment available to us that is so much better than we've ever had for quality viewing and listening, but it seems like all people and media providers want is to get the product delivered quickly, even if the quality is sub-par.
post #83 of 90 Old 11-27-2010, 01:56 AM
Advanced Member

Yep, figures. The announcement of the price hikes came literally 2 days after I'd boosted my sub back to 3-at-a-time, as I usually do for the duration of the winter. And of the 3 discs I had lined up to cover me for the holiday weekend, one came cracked and only the flap of the *envelope* with my address on it came for another. Just an unfortunate coincidence, I'm sure, but it did nothing to alleviate the bad taste in my mouth.

I suspect I'm different from a lot of NF subscribers: I don't care that much about getting new releases right away. I use it mainly for cycling through entire TV series seasons (love hoovering up the British series my local PBS station doesn't see fit to run) and classical music programming--concerts, operas, and ballets on DVD. I won't argue that NF is the best source for the latter content area, but for what it has, it lets me watch before I decide to buy. Because there are so many "Short Wait" items in my queue, I've gotten pretty adept at wrangling myself "bonus" discs on a consistent basis.

Not interested in streaming. My rural DSL service has enough bandwidth with ordinary web traffic, and I don't want the hassle of figuring out how to get the stream from the modem in the back bedroom to the TV in the living room. Why doesn't NF let customers like me opt out the the streaming and knock a few bucks per month off our bills? Hah! That's never gonna happen! Still, I think Netflix is abandoning its elegantly simple original business model way too soon.

On a related note, I've always found NF's touting of "unlimited" disc plans a laugh--a clever advertising ploy that suckers in the marks. With minimum 3 business-day turn-around times, there is a finite maximum number of discs you're gonna get in any 30-day period on any plan.

And yes, I'm thinking of cutting back to a lower plan and being stricter about cycling discs through quickly. A few bucks per month doesn't sound like much, but it pushes my subscription from the de minimus monthly expense that keeps me from buying a lot of discs to something that can add up. Certainly, next spring I'll be cutting back to the 2- or even 1-at-a-time plan much sooner.
post #84 of 90 Old 11-27-2010, 12:23 PM

Sure there is a limit to how many movies you can watch. But Netflix has a distribution center in Denver. I have not done it, but I am told you can literally drive your DVDs/Blue Ray to this place and swap it out much like a video store. Even for me, I can put a movie in the mail on Monday and many times have a new movie on Tuesday.
post #85 of 90 Old 11-28-2010, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighassassin View Post

Even for me, I can put a movie in the mail on Monday and many times have a new movie on Tuesday.

Where do you mail it from? I have yet to get a next day movie, always mail on Monday, they get it on Tuesday and I get it back on Wednesday. I'm also in the Denver area. . .

This NF fee's has me planning on dropping down to 2/unlimited. The recent rate change is a 3$/month increase for me, a bit much.
post #86 of 90 Old 11-28-2010, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If Netflix thinks they're going to entice new customers like me to purchase their service by INCREASING pricing, they're sadly mistaken. Looks like they're screwing their current customers too. If you own their stock, SELL.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #87 of 90 Old 11-28-2010, 04:12 PM

What we need in our house with 6 kids and 2 adults is the ability to stream to more devices. When you count everyones iphones, ipods, laptops, netbooks, dvd, rokus and ps3s ... the netflix limit on our 3 at a time plan of six devices is just nuts. I would also say that the streaming quality is fine on a small device (ipod, netbook, 19 inch tv) but we only want to watch movies on bluray in our theater.
post #88 of 90 Old 11-29-2010, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 523
I guess I'm one of the few that have no problem with the price increase .. I still find it an excellent deal .. Netflix won't lose any sleep over some folks dropping the plan or program .. with every BD and TV out there seeming to offer a Netflix app, they will pick up more customers than they lose ..

Over a 15MPS connection, with a PS3, my streaming to a 120" screen on HD material, is at least a 7 with BD being a 10 .. never a dropout, never a rebuffer, very clean.

I suppose I'm one of the few ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #89 of 90 Old 11-30-2010, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I dropped NF, but not because of pricing. My problem was that newer releases were few and far between, and SLOOoooww delayed availability (this was by mail, and I think streaming is even more limited).

I have very convenient Redbox access, and after several months of monitoring I found that Redbox would often have several newer releases on BR much sooner than NF had any of the newer ones.

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #90 of 90 Old 11-30-2010, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
I dropped NF, but not because of pricing. My problem was that newer releases were few and far between, and SLOOoooww delayed availability (this was by mail, and I think streaming is even more limited).

I have very convenient Redbox access, and after several months of monitoring I found that Redbox would often have several newer releases on BR much sooner than NF had any of the newer ones.
That is a downside, I agree .. the long waits on BD seem to be getting longer, or maybe it's just my imagination .. I use Redbox as well, and they don't always stock the BD of a title as well .. I guess you just can't win 'em all ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page