post #31 of 38 Old 12-03-2010, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Add to your observations that they have a stack of McIntosh amps stepped out in front of the line array in the 3rd pic down. You don't put ANYTHING up in front and only slightly beside a speaker. It just muddies the acoustic waters. I even make the effort to build my speaker's grill cloth frames out of dowels, so there are only round surfaces anywhere near in front of the speakers. NO flat surfaces allowed!

Good point! Those speaker are surrounded, wall right behind, entertainment center to one side and amps in front and to the other side.

Implementation is everything. A collection of good yet very inexpensive equipment properly implemented will blow away the "best of the best" equipment poorly implemented every time.

Edit: Btw, am I missing something? Where are the 23 subs they mention? Are they just talking about the woofers in the main speakers? Those really aren't subs are they? How low can those go, low 20's at best maybe? Wait, I see they claim 16 Hz Anechoic so that's not bad at all. At least they do have some real low end.

mk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 12-03-2010, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montekay View Post

Good point! Those speaker are surrounded, wall right behind, entertainment center to one side and amps in front and to the other side.

hey come on now. maybe they don't have any bsc built in and the placement is intentional. maybe.... buuuuuut i doubt it.

definitely diy ftw. i admit, i've never seen or heard a piece of mcintosh gear in person, so maybe i'm wrong about this, but the impression i've gotten from the years i've spent on audio/video forums is that mcintosh = too much money and not enough taste.

post #33 of 38 Old 12-04-2010, 07:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post

I'm the one who "went black and can never turn back". I mean color of the walls and ceiling
I doubt that that shiny "unique acoustical and eco-friendly natural wood sound treatment ideal for the room." will provide reasonable sound absorption.

Is it just my impression that almost every single super-duper home theaters shown here are optimized for everithing but the top video and audio performance?

Couldn't agree more. Don't know what drives people to create those systems. One recent article in Electronic House showcased an 'audiophiles' media room in which he insisted that performance was a critical determining factor then let the 'interior designer', who would not be swayed, put a custom made front left main speaker practically in the adjacent dormer. Right front was hanging out just to the right of the rooms center line with nothing around it except back wall. The guy had money to hire a designer, have speakers custom made and can't, or won't, figure out what to do with it all to maximize performance. Instead he lets the interior designer rule the day. I cringed when I saw it and cringe writing about it.

But you know what? (I wax philosophical), If he, and all the others who make similar decisions are happy with the way their installs turned out, then I say God Bless them everyone. Ho Ho Ho

Life's a Beach,
or at least it was supposed to be.

My theater in my Wife's house.
DIYer Takes Over Home

post #34 of 38 Old 12-04-2010, 07:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmw View Post

Couldn't agree more. Don't know what drives people to create those systems. One recent article in Electronic House showcased an 'audiophiles' media room in which he insisted that performance was a critical determining factor then let the 'interior designer', who would not be swayed, put a custom made front left main speaker practically in the adjacent dormer. Right front was hanging out just to the right of the rooms center line with nothing around it except back wall. The guy had money to hire a designer, have speakers custom made and can't, or won't, figure out what to do with it all to maximize performance. Instead he lets the interior designer rule the day. I cringed when I saw it and cringe writing about it.

But you know what? (I wax philosophical), If he, and all the others who make similar decisions are happy with the way their installs turned out, then I say God Bless them everyone. Ho Ho Ho

Good post.
I agree that people can spend whatever they want -- and be happy about what they get.
However, posting something on AVS -- especially as a highlighted feature -- does open up valid critique regarding the Audio and Video SCIENCE involved.

It is valid to "waste" some money by hiring consultants, contractors, etc.
It depends on everyones independent value of their own time and money, but we should point out why a system isn't ideal -- if not for our own edification -- for those of non-posting lurkers.
And we should hold installers -- especially at this dollar figure -- up to a standard.

Mike
post #35 of 38 Old 12-06-2010, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 329
$1M and there is no dedicated room for the equipment? Sigh

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #36 of 38 Old 12-06-2010, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Good point! Even I've got that and I'm a mere mortal.
post #37 of 38 Old 12-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post
cant show off those bright lights in a closet!
post #38 of 38 Old 12-06-2010, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montekay View Post

I don't think the photographer did them any favors but unfortunately it really does look like a hodgepodge of very expensive equipment with no real consideration for proper implementation.

Most, if not all, HT installers are too cheap to hire an actual photographer to take tasteful pictures of their installs. They are willing to charge tens of thousands for their install cost yet unwilling to pay $500 for a photographer.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page