Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 12-02-2010, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Three Home Theater Sound Enhancers You Can Try This Weekend
Author: Alan Lofft

Home theater fans, audiophiles, and newcomers alike all have one goal in mind: to make their home theater or reproduced music sound better. It's the engine driving most of our loudspeaker and equipment purchases, which is hardly surprising. After all, it's an amazing era we live in where a savvy consumer can assemble some good loudspeakers, an amplifier and CD/DVD or Blu-ray player and achieve sound reproduction or home theater that can often rival or surpass the real thing, and do it in the comfort of your own home.

However, not all sound enhancers require huge outlays of dollars; often a simple tweak of existing equipment, a modest purchase, or simple adjustment can make substantial audible improvements - and I emphasize audibility as the criterion by which any proposed upgrade should be judged.

Frequently (with a couple of exceptions I'll get to later) it's through no intrinsic fault of the newly purchased audio-video equipment, but rather just plain old mistakes in system setup.

Here are three sound enhancers that will audibly improve your surround or musical experience:

Read the complete article at HomeToys.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-02-2010, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'm already employing Tip #1 thanks to the Dolby website on speaker placement.

As far as Tip #2, is there a link to figuring out subwoofer placement?

I don't really like Tip #3, maybe I'm just stubborn but I prefer All Ch Stereo as compared to the mixes mentioned.
post #3 of 19 Old 12-02-2010, 06:22 PM

Liked: 10
I prefer All Ch Stereo as compared to the mixes mentioned.
post #4 of 19 Old 12-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I agree especially with #3. . I'm always trying out the different audio mixes on my Onkyo receiver. After being set in a mode for a while, it's nice to be able to switch over to a new mix and experience the full audio capability of your receiver.
post #5 of 19 Old 12-02-2010, 07:03 PM

I loved these speakers soooo much. they are just so terrific. I do not dance often but when I tries these speakers I literately danced all through the night. I danced soo much my feet and knees are in pain today.
post #6 of 19 Old 12-02-2010, 08:38 PM

Gronnie I read a tip years ago on avs about figuring out optimum subwoofer placement . Not sure if it's the prefered way by today's standards but it worked well for me.

Here's how it goes if I remember correctly.

Place your subwoofer it the location where you sit to listen or watch movies from. Now put on some groovy track and walk around the room and get low enough to the floor like seating hight, you'll notice where the bass just comes alive......this is where you would place your subwoofer. So in the inverse, your seating area is now where the bass just oozes.

Wish I could remember who posted that technique, but it was a few years back.

let us know if it still holds true .
post #7 of 19 Old 12-02-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronnie View Post

As far as Tip #2, is there a link to figuring out subwoofer placement?

The subwoofer crawl:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/tips_subwoofer_placement.html

post #8 of 19 Old 12-03-2010, 10:05 AM

Liked: 13
Seriously! Who is gonna crawl around the floor and find that the sub sounds best in the middle of your room and when you have guests over they ask, "why the hell do you have a speaker in the middle of the room." Mine sits behind my entertainment system nice and hidden and sounds just fine. Sure it may sound better somewhere else but I'd rather have it there then have someone using it as table stand for their drink. : )
post #9 of 19 Old 12-03-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjr74 View Post

Seriously! Who is gonna crawl around the floor and find that the sub sounds best in the middle of your room and when you have guests over they ask, "why the hell do you have a speaker in the middle of the room." Mine sits behind my entertainment system nice and hidden and sounds just fine. Sure it may sound better somewhere else but I'd rather have it there then have someone using it as table stand for their drink. : )

From the video, "around the perimeter of the room." So, you only "crawl" through the spots you would be willing to put the sub. If you would be ok with it in the middle of the room, then I suppose you could crawl through that too.
post #10 of 19 Old 12-03-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krykuss View Post
Gronnie I read a tip years ago on avs about figuring out optimum subwoofer placement . Not sure if it's the prefered way by today's standards but it worked well for me.

Here's how it goes if I remember correctly.

Place your subwoofer it the location where you sit to listen or watch movies from. Now put on some groovy track and walk around the room and get low enough to the floor like seating hight, you'll notice where the bass just comes alive......this is where you would place your subwoofer. So in the inverse, your seating area is now where the bass just oozes.

Wish I could remember who posted that technique, but it was a few years back.

let us know if it still holds true .

You mean crawling for bass?
post #11 of 19 Old 12-03-2010, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
A dedicated 2-channel music system with one sweet spot is the best. It's why I went with my music system in my car. I like to listen to my music alone and I like it dynamic and punchy on some tracks. I have a home theater but it doesn't even come close to the quality of my car's 2-channel system. If I were wealthy and could have a dedicated audio room, then that would be ideal, but for now, my mobile, rolling audio system is a great substitute. Not by any means perfect but definitely nice.

post #12 of 19 Old 12-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjr74 View Post

As stated in the video, it is quite possible to get lucky to where your subwoofer sounds the best or at least good enough in the spot where you want the sub at. Many people are not that lucky. Also as shown in the video you do not have to crawl. What you're trying to do is get your ears down to the height they would normally be at while you're sitting, because your bass response can and usually does drastically change when you're standing up in the same spot you're sitting in.

You'd be singing a different tune and would have no problem looking just a little foolish if you just spent your hard earned money on a subwoofer that sounds like garbage because of your room.

Your system can shine no matter what it's made of.......except if it's Bose.
post #13 of 19 Old 12-05-2010, 09:25 PM

My concern with placing the speaker other than next to or in the front (say in the back of the room) is the cable; don't want to run cable all around the room. What do you'll do about cabling if the correct placement is in the back of the room? Do they have wireless now (have not investigated in some years now). I saw no cables in that video.

Thanks
post #14 of 19 Old 12-06-2010, 05:11 PM

[quote=Timothy91;19590872]A dedicated 2-channel music system with one sweet spot is the best. It's why I went with my music system in my car. I like to listen to my music alone and I like it dynamic and punchy on some tracks. I have a home theater but it doesn't even come close to the quality of my car's 2-channel system. If I were wealthy and could have a dedicated audio room, then that would be ideal, but for now, my mobile, rolling audio system is a great substitute. Not by any means perfect but definitely nice.

Wow, what drivers/cross are you using in front? Amps? HU? Sound deadening? Beautiful install from the look of it.
post #15 of 19 Old 12-07-2010, 02:40 PM

You'd be singing a different tune and would have no problem looking just a little foolish if you just spent your hard earned money on a subwoofer that sounds like garbage because of your room.[/quote]

what do you do if your entire room is a null? i have dedicated room and get no bass at lp, and ive done the crawl and tried about 20 diff. spots for my sub. please help.
post #16 of 19 Old 12-07-2010, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodical_1 View Post

My concern with placing the speaker other than next to or in the front (say in the back of the room) is the cable; don't want to run cable all around the room. What do you'll do about cabling if the correct placement is in the back of the room? Do they have wireless now (have not investigated in some years now). I saw no cables in that video.

Thanks

Buttkicker has a relatively economical wireless link - used it a couple of times lately on installs and works well - YMMV.
post #17 of 19 Old 12-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08op View Post

You'd be singing a different tune and would have no problem looking just a little foolish if you just spent your hard earned money on a subwoofer that sounds like garbage because of your room.

what do you do if your entire room is a null? i have dedicated room and get no bass at lp, and ive done the crawl and tried about 20 diff. spots for my sub. please help.

There are numerous reasons why a sub cannot be heard. So many in fact that it is impossible to narrow them all down to just a few logical reasons by asking one simple question. You may wanna spend a lot of time in the audio theory forum to get an idea of what your particular problems are. If not, buy a really nice set of headphones and be done with it.

Your system can shine no matter what it's made of.......except if it's Bose.
post #18 of 19 Old 01-12-2011, 09:27 AM

How we can try this home theater??is it with any deal??
post #19 of 19 Old 01-14-2011, 08:15 AM

great stuff!)
Reply Community News & Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page