The HTPC is Dead -- Not! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 02-10-2011, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just thought I would put my two cents in on this as I have had a HTPC in my theater for almost two years. What I have found is that my Windows Home Server, WHS, is a better solution. I store little media content on my HTPC and instead store everything on my WHS. I access my media files from the WHS server on any device that is attached to my home network this includes my HTPC. I can access everything I own via the web as well.

My networked HTPC, BluRay players, PS3, Denon & Onkyo AVR's, and Sony TV hook in and play everything I have stored on it seemlessly. All 9 of my PC's and laptops are backed up daily and all media files my family places on them are copied to it which then are shared from one location. All virus protection is distributed and managed from it. It runs 24/7 and when built correctly requires very little hardware investment.

I think that Windows Home Server, WHS, is truly the least understood and one of the best products Microsoft has ever released. it is the best backbone for any home network. It just runs and does it's job with little fuss.

Check out HP SmartMedia Servers. I own the first gen EX470 which I modified with a dual core cpu and memory upgrade. Very cheap but powerful solution.

Lifes a beach and then you die....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 02-11-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjmwj View Post

I think that Windows Home Server, WHS, is truly the least understood and one of the best products Microsoft has ever released. it is the best backbone for any home network. It just runs and does it's job with little fuss....

I don't think you'll have much argument about that around here! WHS is a great solution and the HTPC is what connects to the WHS to play its content! So yeah, I'm a huge fan of WHS also and have had one going for quite awhile now also...but this article was about HTPC's so I only mentioned WHS in passing. You did read the article didn't you?

You'll find lots of WHS on Home System Integration as well.
post #33 of 36 Old 02-25-2011, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
HTPC is far from mainstream, but a long ways off from being dead. Perhaps "dying" would have been the more appropriate coinage. The need for HTPCs dies a little more with every new network appliance that comes out. It's not to say that HTPC isn't still the best solution for total integration, but the general population isn't going to deal with the hassles of HTPCs. It's just a fact of life. They want a turnkey solution, which is why network appliances have so much appeal. If someone develops a front end GUI that essentially turns the HTPC into cross platform network appliance with "app" support, I think it could really change peoples expectations.
post #34 of 36 Old 03-06-2011, 02:38 AM

htpc are the most flexible home theatre solution for me ...great format support and everything is so customizable
post #35 of 36 Old 04-07-2011, 10:02 AM

Liked: 17
I wanted to post the most important ways to increase consumer privacy and increase performance for htpc's. Being in total control allows consumers look out for their own best interest:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post20216333
post #36 of 36 Old 04-14-2011, 09:15 PM

I'm always telling people how much cheaper netflix and such is vs cable TV... I want to see the streamed content to grow ^.^
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page