Ok...Holidays are now over, so, how about 3D now? - Page 13 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: 3D TV - Is it a Fad?
Fad - Still Current Movie Theater Hype! 0 0%
Here to Stay - Bring on the content! 0 0%
Can only really happen if we have standards! 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1824 Old 02-19-2011, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso View Post

3D in its current format is fad:

Why?
1) expense
2) replacement cost
3) glasses
4) lack of content
5) lack of quality of content
6) average consumer screen size makes it irrelevant

I dislike the way 3D is being presented too but your logic is a tad flawed. To reply to your bullet points:

1. this one I agree completely, expense will never come down other than the price of the camera.
2. one day the display/projector need to be replaced anyway, so it's it doesn't matter
3. glasses will eventually go away
4. lack of content will go away as time progresses
5. this one I agree. 60 years of 3D and the improvements are too little.
6. Just 8 years ago my 30" HDTV was $4,000; now a 32" HDTV is only $400. With that same $4,000 I bought my 9ft-screen and a front projector.

However, I somewhat agree with you. 3D will be a fad if point 5 is tackled NOW. Enough with throwing things to the audience. Even my daughter, who watches anything 3D, couldn't stand Tron Legacy with the Light Cycle flying towards the audience multiple times and she's only 12.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1824 Old 02-19-2011, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Would you wear them around the house, while cooking/prepping dinner, or while chatting with someone else in the house? If you can do that comfortably, then it would be less of an issue. Personally, I don't find them comfortable enough to do that.

I've needed vision correction since first grade. Like 30 million other Americans, I wear contacts primarily because they are much preferred to having glasses on.

3D glasses are used to watch 3D content. We are talking about the social experience when watching TV. You can see other people when you turn your head. Leave the TV viewing environment, just take them off.

Leave the goal posts where they are. No reason to move them.
post #363 of 1824 Old 02-19-2011, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

in this very rare ocassion that I agree with Lee: glasses is NOT the problem. Active shutter glasses, anaglyph, linear polarization are. Passive glasses is not a problem. Heck, it's lighter than my glasses.

my home theatre

post #364 of 1824 Old 02-19-2011, 01:15 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Bwana Devil was released 30 November 1952 (USA) Some big name stars too:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044462/

House of Wax was released 25 April 1953 (USA)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045888/

Agree completely! I saw Bwana Devil when it came out; with Robert Stack in the starring role as I recall after so many years. It was a truly awful picture and the only thing I can remember is a spear being thrown-out at the audience. As to how it looked, based on a 60 year old visual memory, I can't honestly say that the new 3D crap looks any better. I own the V25 Panny and I have the feebie 3D Avatar disc. I don't even bother to watch it!
post #365 of 1824 Old 02-19-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldvideophile View Post

I can't honestly say that the new 3D crap looks any better.

This is what I've been trying to say all along. I'm a 3D fan, or at least I WANT to be a 3D fan. However, virtually ALL 3D movie and/or features I've seen in the past two decades (this includes re-showing of features such as Bwana Devil) to this date were all essentially gimmicky.

If stereo can stop from being gimmicky to creating an actual soundfield within less than a decade, why can't the studios, after half a century, get it right?

my home theatre

post #366 of 1824 Old 02-19-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

This is what I've been trying to say all along. I'm a 3D fan, or at least I WANT to be a 3D fan. However, virtually ALL 3D movie and/or features I've seen in the past two decades (this includes re-showing of features such as Bwana Devil) to this date were all essentially gimmicky.

So that fact that Hollywood makes every car that has an accident explode isn't an issue, but entertaining the audience by exploiting the 3D medium is from time to time?

EDIT:

There are many posts over at 3D Central from members who complain that there aren't enough "popout" scenes in the 3D they are watching. So IMO, it's a subjective issue.

Quote:

If stereo can stop from being gimmicky to creating an actual soundfield within less than a decade, why can't the studios, after half a century, get it right?

Hardly. How are the soundfields of today realistic when most of the time when you have two or three people on the screen, their voices are comming from the center channel only?
post #367 of 1824 Old 02-19-2011, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

1. that's been the running joke in my household (the cars exploded even when somebody just nicked it with a pencil)

2. I'm talking about stereo sound, not multi-channel surround. Remember the guitar on the left, vocals on the right such as the ones in early Beatles' "stereo" recordings?

my home theatre

post #368 of 1824 Old 02-19-2011, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

3D glasses are used to watch 3D content. We are talking about the social experience when watching TV. You can see other people when you turn your head. Leave the TV viewing environment, just take them off.

Bingo. Currently my TV environment downstairs extends from the LR to the kitchen (passing over a dining table). Everyone can either enjoy visiting with each other (or making/eating dinner) while watching the TV intermittently, or they can sit and focus solely on the program material. The glasses dedicate you to the latter.

The dedicated theater is a different story. You are there to sit and focus on a movie without really interacting with others. And while my intentions with the theater included a huge screen for football games, I quickly realized that it was less than ideal for football because you are forced facing forward and it is very difficult to interact with others during the game. I see the glasses forcing the same kind of atmosphere - not for a movie, but for television.
post #369 of 1824 Old 02-19-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

1. that's been the running joke in my household (the cars exploded even when somebody just nicked it with a pencil)

2. I'm talking about stereo sound, not multi-channel surround. Remember the guitar on the left, vocals on the right such as the ones in early Beatles' "stereo" recordings?

Well, the subject is movies. IMO, the first fully implemented multichannel system - Cinerama - had it right from the get go - 5 screen channels and 3 surround sound channels.

The lastest incarnation, Dolby 7.1 still uses just 3 screen channels.
post #370 of 1824 Old 02-19-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:

Hardly. How are the soundfields of today realistic when most of the time when you have two or three people on the screen, their voices are comming from the center channel only?

That's actually how it should be ideally - at least on televisions. Anything you are looking at on the screen is located at the CC position. R & L effects should only contain sounds that occur off screen to those sides.
post #371 of 1824 Old 02-19-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:

Bingo. Currently my TV environment downstairs extends from the LR to the kitchen (passing over a dining table). Everyone can either enjoy visiting with each other (or making/eating dinner) while watching the TV intermittently, or they can sit and focus solely on the program material. The glasses dedicate you to the latter.

The dedicated theater is a different story. You are there to sit and focus on a movie without really interacting with others. And while my intentions with the theater included a huge screen for football games, I quickly realized that it was less than ideal for football because you are forced facing forward and it is very difficult to interact with others during the game. I see the glasses forcing the same kind of atmosphere - not for a movie, but for television.

I see no problem with this. It becomes an adjustment factor for people like you. You want to watch 3D, you have to sit in a specific area of your environment. And no multitaking. Just sit back and enjoy the show. You can of course continue to converse. Wearing 3D glasses has no affect on that function.

I have a Panasonic VT 25 and love 3D. But I find myself only watching 3D about 10% of the time. The other 90% is watching 2D. I don't think I am too much different then other 3DTV owners.
post #372 of 1824 Old 02-19-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:

That's actually how it should be ideally - at least on televisions. Anything you are looking at on the screen is located at the CC position. R & L effects should only contain sounds that occur off screen to those sides.

I disagree. If you have 3 people talking, then their voices should come from the channel they are closest to.

I think the issue at hand is most people have their L & R speakers too seperated. They should IMO be at the edges of the display.

In my many travels to peoples homes the one thing I almost always notice is they have a sound sytem mismatch. It doesn't match the size of the image. Too big. Their sound system is more matched with a 100" image then the 50" image they have.
post #373 of 1824 Old 02-19-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 745
Quote:

I disagree. If you have 3 people talking, then their voices should come from the channel they are closest to.

I think the issue at hand is most people have their L & R speakers too seperated. They should IMO be at the edges of the display.

In my many travels to peoples homes the one thing I almost always notice is they have a sound sytem mismatch. It doesn't match the size of the image. Too big. Their sound system is more matched with a 100" image then the 50" image they have.

Lee, you certainly have plenty of opinions .. that's a first for me .. sound system too big .. whatever ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #374 of 1824 Old 02-19-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Lee, you certainly have plenty of opinions .. that's a first for me .. sound system too big .. whatever ..

My opinion on this matter is based on my personal experiences from having a 27", 50", 100" and 144" sized image. The same sound system doesn't work with the different sized images. The bigger the image, the bigger the sound system should be and the opposite also holds true.
post #375 of 1824 Old 02-19-2011, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 745
Quote:

My opinion on this matter is based on my personal experiences from having a 27", 50", 100" and 144" sized image. The same sound system doesn't work with the different sized images. The bigger the image, the bigger the sound system should be and the opposite also holds true.

Many of us consider sound a large percentage of viewing enjoyment .. I'm guessing my 4 Klipsch Cornwalls / 4 Sunfire Subwoofers and a custom center channel would be considered way over kill in your opinion, with a 110" screen ..

Just because someone has large, quality gear certainly does not mean they must drive it to extremes .. but it's there if you want to ..

Any system can be set up for any size screen .. and a volume control is just that ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #376 of 1824 Old 02-19-2011, 02:20 PM

The pole needs to add- "Can only happen when we get rid of the glasses."
post #377 of 1824 Old 02-19-2011, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Who really cares about 3D? Have you noticed that content is mostly made up of computer animations with Avatar being the exception? I really can't see the point of watching a drama or any live movie with those stupid glasses messing up a perfectly calibrated picture. Yea, I have a dedicated HT and am perfectly happy watching a 2D blu ray movie that has the best video and audio. Avatar 2D looks so good it is almost like watching 3D anyway... Have you noticed that most AVS members would choose 2D over 3D? 3D didn't work in the past and will hopefully quickly fade away.

"It's time to nut up or shut up."
post #378 of 1824 Old 02-19-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:

I see no problem with this. It becomes an adjustment factor for people like you. You want to watch 3D, you have to sit in a specific area of your environment. And no multitaking.

That's an adjustment that isn't worth it, at least in our household. We all have computers for when we want to get tethered. The TV is meant to serve an entire area - even during multitasking, which is pretty much always.
post #379 of 1824 Old 02-19-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:

The technology has improved, but I can't imagine it overtaking everything in the manner we're being told it will.

Neither can I. Anyone who is promoting this fantasy has no grip on reality.

Guess what? Transformers 3 is being shot in 3D. So much for Bay's BS.

New Pirates of the Caribbean is being filmed in _3D. Those people whom don't like the 3D format that's fine quit your crying and leave us who love it enjoy it!
post #380 of 1824 Old 02-19-2011, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamieb81 View Post

New Pirates of the Caribbean is being filmed in _3D. Those people whom don't like the 3D format that's fine quit your crying and leave us who love it enjoy it!

Just curious and please excuse me for not having read through all the previous posts but if these movies are being shot in 3-D does that mean that when they are released to the public, they will only be available in 3-D?
post #381 of 1824 Old 02-19-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

Just curious and please don't mind my jumping in here without having read through all the previous posts but if these movies are being shot in 3-D does that mean that when they are released to the public, they will only be available in 3-D?

I think both versions will be availablejust like Alice in wonderland , Incredibles,Avatar.
post #382 of 1824 Old 02-19-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Many of us consider sound a large percentage of viewing enjoyment .. I'm guessing my 4 Klipsch Cornwalls / 4 Sunfire Subwoofers and a custom center channel would be considered way over kill in your opinion, with a 110" screen ..

Just because someone has large, quality gear certainly does not mean they must drive it to extremes .. but it's there if you want to ..

Any system can be set up for any size screen .. and a volume control is just that ..

And the same sound system with a 50" image would be overpowering. What good is a sound system if you can't turn it up? That's like owning a Corvette and never getting out of 3rd gear.
post #383 of 1824 Old 02-19-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:

That's an adjustment that isn't worth it, at least in our household. We all have computers for when we want to get tethered. The TV is meant to serve an entire area - even during multitasking, which is pretty much always.

"different strokes for different folks."
post #384 of 1824 Old 02-19-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:

Wow, nothing like swimming against the tide.

Rather than putting all 3 speakers under your TV and complaining that all sound engineers are mixing movies incorrectly - and everyone else has their speakers in the wrong location - why not spread them a bit and enjoy them for how they were designed?
post #385 of 1824 Old 02-19-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamieb81 View Post

I respect their right to make a post that reflects their attitude. I always want to hear what people are saying about 3D. I don't expect all people to have the same feelings for 3D that I do. But if they do have an opposite opinion, I want to see if it is grounded on facts and not misinformation or trivial BS like; "goofy looking glasses."

3D is just not for everyone. I fully understand that.
post #386 of 1824 Old 02-19-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:

Wow, nothing like swimming against the tide.

Rather than putting all 3 speakers under your TV and complaining that all sound engineers are mixing movies incorrectly - and everyone else has their speakers in the wrong location - why not spread them a bit and enjoy them for how they were designed?

Because I am trying to duplicate what exists at my local theater. And understand that the environment of a theater is not the same as the environment of the home, with the major difference being size. So the home theater has to be scaled down proportionally.

But at the same time, certain "rules" should be adhered to, such as keeping the 3 front channels on the same plane and having the rear speakers above the heads of the viewers - just like they are in a commerical theater

I can understand my opinion may not be popular. But that doesn't mean it isn't correct.
post #387 of 1824 Old 02-19-2011, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 1526
What's correct for movies isn't necessarily correct for other media.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #388 of 1824 Old 02-19-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

What's correct for movies isn't necessarily correct for other media.

So have a seperate system for music. Nothing wrong with an extra pair of speakers in the front widely seperated. Most receivers have an option for an extra pair of front speakers. A for movies and B for music.
post #389 of 1824 Old 02-19-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

Just curious and please excuse me for not having read through all the previous posts but if these movies are being shot in 3-D does that mean that when they are released to the public, they will only be available in 3-D?

No. They will be releaed in both 2D and 3D. When they are released in theaters they are are released in both 2D and 3D. Unfortunately many of the 3D movies have no 3D BD release (yet).
post #390 of 1824 Old 02-19-2011, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
few comments now that I have seen a good variety of programming

broadcast 3D over-under and SBS is decent, but full 1080p 3D is great

all is very TV dependent, lower end Sony TVs had decent 3D with a lot of ghosting, XBR is phenomenal with high quality content

that being said, the single biggest issue with 3D adoption right now is overpriced proprietary 3D glasses, damn things probably cost $5 each to produce, manufacturers are keeping prices high with nonstandardized sync methods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page