Forum Jump: 

post #571 of 1824 Old 02-22-2011, 03:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike W View Post

My exposure to 3D is limited to Avatar (theater run, Real 3d), Panasonic Plasma and Sim (twin projector, roughly 60K display) movie content shown at a top notch home theater show (as I recall, one used passive glasses and the other active, but I could be misremembering), and NHL hockey on a current model Sony Bravia (active shutter glasses) at a friend's house.

The 3D effect for all of these displays was impressive (especially so for one of the two features shown on the Sims, a car race. It was amazing); hence, my guess that it is a technology that is here to stay. However, my lack of interest in jumping into 3D right now is based on the need to wear the glasses. Foremost is the very noticeable reduction in image brightness, particularly given that my HT is projector-based. For example, at the theater, during Avatar, when I periodically watched without the glasses, I was dismayed by how much brightness was lost. Same for my other 3D experiences. So for me, it simply comes down to a preference of greater brightness over a 3D image, especially given that I'm very happy with my 2D image.

Second, I can't envision myself wearing 3D glasses happily for hours at a time. I enjoyed Avatar (particularly given the low plot expectations with which I entered) and many of the 3D effects were highly engrossing, but I was sure ready to get those glasses off after 3 hours!

Given that, plus the fact that the overwhelming majority of films we watch (including many classics and foreign films) are not made in 3D, I'm perfectly content to see how the technology evolves over the next two to three years before jumping in. I anticipate that the first piece of equipment that I'll be upgrading anyway is my pre-amp, which is non-HDMI (I run multi-channel analog audio to it from my blu-ray, and am very happy with the sound). If I felt the need to replace it now, I would hedge my bet and get one that is 3D compatible, as I think 3D has a good shot of catching on more widely this time around.

Whether affordable (say <10K ) projector brightness will evolve to easily compensate for the brightness reduction imposed by the glasses, the technology used in the glasses will change, or some techno magicians can conjure up a glassless 3D technology that works around the human visual system and displays a large image, who knows. But given how far the whole HT enterprise has come in the last 10-15 years, I wouldn't rule much out.

Auto 3D (no glasses) will restore brightness in the images but it has a ways to go before it becomes a foolproof tech ready for consumers. So that leaves the glasses.

Yes, the glasses do severely cut down the brightness of the images. Can be from 60% to 80% depending on the method and quality of the glasses. That's why IMAX chooses to use dual projectors for both their Digital and 15/70 3D theaters.

Some people have been turning to dual projectors for their HT for increased brightness and the opportunity to use passive instead of active glasses. The 3D Display Forum is a good place to look for threads on these setups. Look for Infitec and Optoma 3D-XL in the thread titles. Also there is a sticky on 3D screens that might interest you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 1824 Old 02-22-2011, 05:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:

Foremost is the very noticeable reduction in image brightness, particularly given that my HT is projector-based. For example, at the theater, during Avatar, when I periodically watched without the glasses, I was dismayed by how much brightness was lost. Same for my other 3D experiences. So for me, it simply comes down to a preference of greater brightness over a 3D image, especially given that I'm very happy with my 2D image.

Check out the dual projector setup I've built over in the Ultimate 3D Projection thread. I've found that both circular and linear polarized systems can be built that lose very little light. Loses less than 20% of the light.

Even regular viewers who are not 3D experts have raved about how much brighter Avatar was than when they saw it in the theater.
post #573 of 1824 Old 02-22-2011, 05:35 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

Wow. Things really getting carried away in here.

I don't doubt that some of us posting here really are sincerely of the belief that 3D might be bad for you. I also have no doubt that I personally disagree with that sentiment.

But comparing it to things like smoking, food additives and cancer is just ridiculous.

A comparison can be made. You are consuming TV. Just because it is not a perceived as a "tangible" object that is placed in your body, does not necessarily rule it out.

With that mentality, you must be the type of parent that would let their children watch more than 2-3 hours of television a day. If not, there is no way you could rule out this line of thinking...

If you read the quote in my response, you would see the reasoning behind the comparison.
post #574 of 1824 Old 02-22-2011, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I enjoyed Avatar (particularly given the low plot expectations with which I entered)

Be prepared to expect that a lot more frequently, as the 3D effect become the primary draw to a movie while the plot becomes secondary...
post #575 of 1824 Old 02-22-2011, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Rdjam is 100% right - things are getting carried away in here.

This should be an open forum for debate and a friendly exchange of ideas on the subject of 3D which I think we can all agree is of little importance in the scheme of things but nonetheless of particular interest to us all. Brought into question are issues that go far beyond whether or not one simply does or doesn't like 3D. These include business priorities, business ethics, individual economic considerations, health issues, family habits and needs,etc. This discussion has not only been been fun and informative -- it also serves as a brief but relaxing respite from the day to day stress we all have to deal with.

On the whole, our disagreements have been treated with respect to each other but it is very unfortunate that time is being wasted by one whose only purpose is to foster his own ego and arrogance while rejecting his own inate inferiority by maligning us with word games to simply get under our skin.

I suggest we simply ignore these comments, no matter how strong the temptation to respond. There are those who have disrupted other forums by playing the same type of game so let's not let it occur with the great group we have here.
post #576 of 1824 Old 02-22-2011, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I'm surprised there is so little movement in the poll numbers from the old poll.
post #577 of 1824 Old 02-22-2011, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post
Wow. Things really getting carried away in here.

I don't doubt that some of us posting here really are sincerely of the belief that 3D might be bad for you. I also have no doubt that I personally disagree with that sentiment.

But comparing it to things like smoking, food additives and cancer is just ridiculous.
Hi, not comparing 3D to smoking, etc., the point was to compare similar circumstances where conflicts of interest led to warning signs being ignored for multiple reasons. Since there are concerns expressed by many within the field of optomology, these should at least be addressed to either let us know what the risks might be or to eliminate all doubt whatsoever.
post #578 of 1824 Old 02-22-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
I'm surprised there is so little movement in the poll numbers from the old poll.
LOL - probably the same people voted on both polls.
post #579 of 1824 Old 02-22-2011, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 1343
The brightness problem is easily solved. The image simply needs to be double the brightness before it hits the glasses. Theaters may not yet have invested in the equipment to do so, but it shouldn't require any major advance in tech.

Sure, you can take the glasses off and say it's still brighter, but brighter isn't always better. Thats like saying louder volume is always better. Typically louder does sound better at first, but you wouldnt want to stay in a room with sustained high levels of volume any more than your want to stay in a room with a blinding screen.

I would say my own plasma isn't quite there yet in terms of 3d brightness in a dark room, but it's close. It's certainly not going to be a long term problem of 3d itself.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #580 of 1824 Old 02-22-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Dubin View Post
Hi, not comparing 3D to smoking, etc., the point was to compare similar circumstances where conflicts of interest led to warning signs being ignored for multiple reasons. Since there are concerns expressed by many within the field of optomology, these should at least be addressed to either let us know what the risks might be or to eliminate all doubt whatsoever.
January 24, 2011

Quote:
In his research, Hanssens uses 3D to test binocular vision. He also studies the impact of 3D vision on posture and subjective discomfort by using 3D glasses and a Full Immersive Virtual Environment, a big room where the walls and ground are the screens. Hanssens said that 3D movies are not harmful to our eyes, but some short-term effects can include headaches, visual fatigue, nausea, dizziness and blurred vision. The effects can last a few hours, but so far researchers haven’t found any long-term effects.
Quote:
However, the American Optometric Association suggests that 3D viewing may help uncover subtle eye disorders that if left uncorrected, can lead to learning difficulties. 3D viewing requires coordinated eye muscles that maintain alignment of both eyes, and the brain must be able to focus where the eyes are aimed. Slight problems with these skills can lead to an inability to view 3D, but can also affect reading comprehension
Quote:
“In real life, eyes are adjusting their focus to different objects depending on the distance, this is called accommodation,” Hanssens said. “In 3D screens, objects appear on the same plane (the screen) which can disturb the relation between accomodation and fusion of right and left images. People who have a lazy eye due to different conditions may not have stereovision.”

So while there is no medical evidence that 3D can damage eyes, it could work to uncover eye issues that haven’t presented themselves yet. Hanssens said that people with these issues are unable to view 3D properly, but see it as a 2D movie with fewer contrasts. Hanssens recommends these people, especially kids, should consult an optometrist and get an eye exam. But Hanssens cautions that 3D shouldn’t be used as a screening tool.

“The problem is that a child who never experiences 3D vision in his life will not be aware that he is not able to see 3D effects,” Hanssens said. “He will only report that ‘a 3D movie is not a big deal.’”
http://www.mobilemag.com/2011/01/24/...sts-prototype/
post #581 of 1824 Old 02-22-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Because of the glasses it is a fad for me.

I just hope they do not degrade the highest quality 2D while playing around with 3D. It is ashamed you have to purchase the top end 3D sets just to get the better 2D benefits (TV Sets).

Get rid of the glasses, equal 2D PQ quality and I might consider it.

Manufacturers' could spend a hundred times less resources by bringing to market fully capable OTA DVRs with benefits and features consumers want and increase sales of TV's tenfold in the process.
post #582 of 1824 Old 02-22-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
No question it's the same pool of people (AVS Forum members)- if it were a different set of people the results wouldn't be nearly as informative.

For 3DTV to succeed, the minds of the skeptics need to be changed.
post #583 of 1824 Old 02-22-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
No question it's the same pool of people (AVS Forum members)- if it were a different set of people the results wouldn't be nearly as informative.
The number of people who voted on the previous poll was 4766. On this poll, less then 1500 so far.

Quote:
LOL - have you read some of the post in the last 2 pages? There are two members here who are dead set against that.
post #584 of 1824 Old 02-22-2011, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Perhaps, it's more their pocket books? Too bad 3D wasn't introduced a few years ago during the height of the HD television purchasing boom when replacing a HD set and the economic downturn wasn't much of a factor - we might have thus had our answer by this time. I know it might have been a consideration for me but whether or not it would resulted in a purchase I do not know.
post #585 of 1824 Old 02-22-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
The number of people who voted on the previous poll was 4766. On this poll, less then 1500 so far.
Is something unique about the first 1/3rd that voted that would make you think that the percentages will shift significantly?

Quote:
LOL - have you read some of the post in the last 2 pages? There are two members here who are dead set against that.
It really doesn't matter if some are dead set against 3DTV. What matters is getting enough people interested in it. There were lots of people dead set against VHS - it didn't matter.
post #586 of 1824 Old 02-22-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Is something unique about the first 1/3rd that voted that would make you think that the percentages will shift significantly?
I wouldn't think so. The poll dates are not that far apart and not that much has changed in the market since the previous poll (except the launch of additional 3D content channels).

Quote:
It really doesn't matter if some are dead set against 3DTV. What matters is getting enough people interested in it. There were lots of people dead set against VHS - it didn't matter.
LOL - you mean like the studios? (Universal versus Sony court decision)

3DTV is an industry wide effort. And like all new TV formats, it takes time. Lots of time, to determine if it is a mainstream product or a niche product.

Right or wrong, I look at the BO results to gauge 3D's acceptance by people and so far it is doing very well. It has grown 10 fold in the last 3 years.
post #587 of 1824 Old 02-22-2011, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
It's here and will be from now on.

There seems to be some angst from people that recently purchased sets and are now miffed because they either didn't want to spend the money or missed the boat.

post #588 of 1824 Old 02-22-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Perhaps, it's more their pocket books? Too bad 3D wasn't introduced a few years ago during the height of the HD television purchasing boom when replacing a HD set and the economic downturn wasn't much of a factor - we might have thus had our answer by this time. I know it might have been a consideration for me but whether or not it would resulted in a purchase I do not know.
I believe this IS the biggest factor. Poor timing. Also, it could be looked at as 3D not being taken seriously by the manufacturers. If there were going to be a huge push, would it not be better timed during a fiscally sound period rather than one of doubt?

Since it is introduced at this time, it looks more to me like something to keep sales up a little, rather than a lot. Maybe this is a good time to do a test run? Less production, means less loss if unsuccessful? Or a good time to work out the kinks?

Who knows?
post #589 of 1824 Old 02-22-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted_oak View Post
I believe this IS the biggest factor. Poor timing. Also, it could be looked at as 3D not being taken seriously by the manufacturers. If there were going to be a huge push, would it not be better timed during a fiscally sound period rather than one of doubt?

Since it is introduced at this time, it looks more to me like something to keep sales up a little, rather than a lot. Maybe this is a good time to do a test run? Less production, means less loss if unsuccessful? Or a good time to work out the kinks?

Who knows?
What year do you believe it should have been introduced?
post #590 of 1824 Old 02-22-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I see what you did right there...

Quote:
It might be the same people, looking through those tinted glasses. However, the awesome merits of 3D posted in both threads should have swayed more. Don't you think?
post #591 of 1824 Old 02-22-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
What year do you believe it should have been introduced?
I am just throwing out variables. I realize I am not necessarily in the know.

I would venture two periods:

Immediately following or in the middle of the height of the HDTV transition/peak sales. (This is not necessarily to save the consumers money.) It would have help in adoption rates, by being coupled with the seriousness/merits of HDTV. Packaged by itself it has the hint of gimmickry.

Or...

On its own during the next peak. Because economic peaks overrule even the most stalwart practical minded consumer.
post #592 of 1824 Old 02-22-2011, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Who knows?
Well put.

Perhaps the question should have posed to two separate groups, 1) those who are either videophiles or enjoy being the first to try out new technology, and 2) the mainstream consumer who does not consider himself or herself one of the above in light of the industry hype about 3D being in more than half the households by 2014.
post #593 of 1824 Old 02-22-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Immediately following or in the middle of the height of the HDTV transition/peak sales. (This is not necessarily to save the consumers money.) It would have help in adoption rates, by being coupled with the seriousness/merits of HDTV. Packaged by itself it has the hint of gimmickry.

Or...

On its own during the next peak. Because economic peaks overrule even the most stalwart practical minded consumer.

I think the production of 3DTV's was driven by the movie industry starting to push 3D movies so they didn't want to miss the excitement and consumer awareness that a release like Avatar produced.
Of course they missed all that by having exclusivity contracts - the CE companies were apparently approached by the movie companies, and instead of saying they weren't interested, they started bidding wars for content.
post #594 of 1824 Old 02-22-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:

Or...

AFAIK, the introduction of 3DTV was timed with the success of 3D in theaters which began in 2009. Previous years did not generate much interest due to few 3D movies being made (2005 to 2008).

The saying "strike while the iron is hot" has a lot to do (IMO) with the success of Avatar. 80% of it's revenue came from 3D ticket sales.

And the falling margins selling HDTVs by the CEMs.
post #595 of 1824 Old 02-22-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:

Well put.

Perhaps the question should have posed to two separate groups, 1) those who are either videophiles or enjoy being the first to try out new technology, and 2) the mainstream consumer who does not consider himself or herself one of the above in light of the industry hype about 3D being in more than half the households by 2014.

50+% makes sense if it is included as a feature in new sets sold + with an improved economy. Statements creates two illusions: 1) You must be on board or you suck (left behind). 2) It projects numbers that facilitate adoption / creates a future reality in the mind of the consumer.
post #596 of 1824 Old 02-22-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:

Well put.

Perhaps the question should have posed to two separate groups, 1) those who are either videophiles or enjoy being the first to try out new technology, and 2) the mainstream consumer who does not consider himself or herself one of the above .

Innovators and Early Adopters drive new product launches. Mainstream consumers buy in years after product launch

Quote:
in light of the industry hype about 3D being in more than half the households by 2014

Do you have a link that states that?
post #597 of 1824 Old 02-22-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppabk View Post

I think the production of 3DTV's was driven by the movie industry starting to push 3D movies so they didn't want to miss the excitement and consumer awareness that a release like Avatar produced.
Of course they missed all that by having exclusivity contracts - the CE companies were apparently approached by the movie companies, and instead of saying they weren't interested, they started bidding wars for content.

Interesting you mention this. It changes things in my mind. Maybe we should not aim at CE, but the movie industry. The movie industry is hurting as well. Who knows if they are the ones pushing this more than the manufacturers?

The dialog would go something like this:

Movie industry: "Listen up, I am gonna create a bunch of movies in 3D. Because people really flocked to Avatar 3D. Either you produce some hardware or you are gonna look like a noob. CEs who jump on board are gonna REAP the benefits."

CEs: "Man, we really need to get this out there or our competition is gonna get the leg up. Plus I don't want to look like a noob, and get effectively PwnEd."

Seems from this perspective, the CEs are the captive audience with the movie industry driving. If this is the case, there would be a greater possibility of 3D success coming to fruition.
post #598 of 1824 Old 02-22-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:

Innovators and Early Adopters drive new product launches. Mainstream consumers buy in years after product launch

I am sure that curve would be identical to the supply line as well.
post #599 of 1824 Old 02-22-2011, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 1343
The timing doesn't matter. It's more of a feature, less a format. There's no competing 3d format around the corner or anything. It's going to stick around either way, and people will buy the TVs when theyre ready.

The state of the economy is irrelevant. 3D or not, in either case they're just selling a TV. Any inability to sell 3D TVs due to the economy has to do more with the inability to sell a TV in general rather than one of it's specific features.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #600 of 1824 Old 02-22-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

The timing doesn't matter. It's more of a feature, less a format. There's no competing 3d format around the corner or anything. It's going to stick around either way, and people will buy the TVs when theyre ready.

I would say it would stick around by merit of it being included as a feature like you say. It would meet a quick demise/forced back into its niche if a new technology was introduced too closely before it reached popularity.

This is why I say the timing for this is crucial. If the economy does not recover as much as we expect. They will have to come up with a new "feature" to place on the box to attract people to the stores. This is a life support situation...
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page