post #1711 of 1824 Old 08-11-2011, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECK View Post

That is an overstatement... I purchased recently my new HDTV, a Sony 55" Bravia HX701. For $300 more, I could of got a 3D model but I did not. My TV works amazing through my Pioneer SC-37, so is not that I was not ready for 3D... I simply think that right now 3D technology is not at a level it would impress us all, on a daily basis. In few years maybe... by then my TV is due to be replaced.

Thank God I was lucky enough to purchase one of the last BDP-23FD boxes and have it hooked to my SC-37. All guests in my house amazed with the show quality I put through this equipment... So yes, who needs 3D.

Congratulations and enjoy your new set.

Did you mean the 710? Could not find a Sony 55 inch 701 model and the cheapest price tag for this one was $1,350. Even though your thought was that the technology can be improved down the road, for others the cost of that set in itself is a major investment and thus adding $300 to that plus the additional cost of a Bluray player for 3D could very well stretch the limits for many. It could also be a question of priorities considering the limitations of one's budget - which do they want more: a large screen Bravia or a smaller sized Bravia with the 3D feature? That doesn't make them against 3D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1824 Old 08-13-2011, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know it seems this thread is dead, but some news about 3D still trickles in now and then. Here's a short but interesting article about world wide 3D box office takes:
http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-ent...oubled-in-2010

Now remember, this compares 2009 to 2010. I'll be more interested to see next year figures comparing 2010 to 2011.

Ghpr13

Info=Knowledge=Understanding=Better TV!
I see dead pixels!
post #1713 of 1824 Old 08-13-2011, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghpr13 View Post

I know it seems this thread is dead, but some news about 3D still trickles in now and then. Here's a short but interesting article about world wide 3D box office takes:
http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-ent...oubled-in-2010

Now remember, this compares 2009 to 2010. I'll be more interested to see next year figures comparing 2010 to 2011.

Ghpr13

I think the worldwide figures comparing 2010 to 2011 will be good unlike that in North America which we all knew had been in decline for more than a year. Given the fact that the current influx of 3D in the European cinema was introduced a year after that of the U.S. and Canada, we will have to keep an eye out to see if popularity remains stable or the downward trend begins there as well.

Attached is an article from THE ECONOMIST which makes for interesting reading along with that of the reader comments. There is one who sees a slow but steady increase in the 3D feature and makes some very valid arguments regarding a healthy future and place in the entertainment world. But he is also involved with the industry which must be balanced into the equation of his objectivity. Found humorous him raising the question about who said 3D was going to be a sensation overnight - guess he didn't pay much attention to all the marketing hype. I also don't agree with him that in the future people will flock to see an adaption of F. Scott Fitzgerald's classic "The Great Gadsby" in 3D but do agree seeing one football game in 3D could easily get one hooked.

http://www.economist.com/node/18988914
post #1714 of 1824 Old 08-13-2011, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Since I had not been following much on the 3D issue, didn't realize that Captain American didn't do so well in the 3D market despite the great reviews on both script and effects.

http://www.screened.com/news/captain...ice-news/2641/
post #1715 of 1824 Old 08-16-2011, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Yesterday our local Cablevision in New York added 3D video on demand options. There are movies on demand in 3D starting at $4.95 each and Starz on Demand also has several 3D titles available for those that subscribe to it. It's a start.
post #1716 of 1824 Old 08-16-2011, 10:01 AM

still not impressed with this technology yet.
post #1717 of 1824 Old 08-16-2011, 10:02 AM

Thats another way to look at it.
post #1718 of 1824 Old 08-16-2011, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbizz View Post

Thats another way to look at it.

Might also be wrong but found the picture quality of Video On Demand to be slightly less than a regular HD station which could affect the quality of the 3D viewing in terms of sharpness, contrast and color saturation even more.
post #1719 of 1824 Old 08-19-2011, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobppuop View Post

Nowadays ,3D is really fad ,if you have money ,you can go t o the theater to see movie ,you can really enjoy the movie ,but if you are poor ,you can also enjoy the moive on your tv ,i mean big tv such as the folk said 52''

Don't get that - were you making the point about manufacturers believing even the poor would be so stupid as to go into hock to get a big screen 3D set and I misunderstood? If so, you are 100 percent right.
post #1720 of 1824 Old 08-19-2011, 04:34 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Dubin View Post

Might also be wrong but found the picture quality of Video On Demand to be slightly less than a regular HD station which could affect the quality of the 3D viewing in terms of sharpness, contrast and color saturation even more.

That would be normal because they use the 3D format "Frame Compatible" which using a single 1920x1080 frame with L & R images within it so the resolution is 960x1080 per image (Only 3D BD can provide Full HD per eye images):

The color saturation and contrast shouldn't be any different than HD images. They both use 4:2:0
post #1721 of 1824 Old 08-20-2011, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

According to many within the industry, video gamers would be one of the first groups to embrace 3D television. If so, then the attached analysis presented by CNN and posted comments presents another drawback into the penetration of 3D into the home.

Not being a gamer, the point that surprised me the most was many saying the 3D effect simply did nothing to enhance the actual playing of the game itself.

Another example how hype and marketing spin in the guise of scientific research results often does not reflect reality.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming....me.revolution/
post #1722 of 1824 Old 08-21-2011, 04:08 AM

Two-Thirds of 3DTV Owners Watch 3D Shows at Least Once Per Week

Quote:

Boston, MA - August 9, 2011 – Watching television shows in 3D has become a regular activity for the majority of 3DTV owners, according to the latest research from the Strategy Analytics Connected Home Devices service. According to the report, “3DTVs: Buying Intentions and Early Adopter Feedback,” two-thirds of 3DTV owners across the US and Europe are watching at least one show in 3D on a weekly basis. Forty-one percent of 3DTV owners claim to be watching shows in 3D at least once a day or several times a day.

http://www.strategyanalytics.com/def...viewer&a0=5088
post #1723 of 1824 Old 08-21-2011, 04:27 AM

3net and its New Partnership

Quote:

In another bold move, 3net has joined forces with Red Bull Media to help accelerate their 3D TV content. According to 3net, the 24/7 3D station will “bring Red Bull’s compelling programming derived from its strong brand, sports and culture events, and athletes to U.S. television audiences in 3D for the first time ever.”

http://www.hdguru3d.com/index.php?op...news&Itemid=59
post #1724 of 1824 Old 08-21-2011, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

3net and its New Partnership

http://www.hdguru3d.com/index.php?op...news&Itemid=59

Interesting that the article started out with the question "Action sports look great in person, but are they just as sharp and compelling at home via 3D TV?". I expected an answer telling us why it would but the question was never addressed. As we know, tennis matches got rave reviews from fans of the sport, however, bike riding in the Utah mountains might not provide the same type of thrill or motivation to spur further consumer interest in home theater 3D. There are no plans to air the Super Bowl or expand other major sporting events beyond the occasional game or so and that's what is necessary to spur more interest in the feature.

It does mean more programming on 3DNet but another question is if will it also be enough to help alleviate the complaint by many viewers about the same programs being broadcast over and over and over again?
post #1725 of 1824 Old 08-22-2011, 01:13 AM

Quote:

Interesting that the article started out with the question "Action sports look great in person, but are they just as sharp and compelling at home via 3D TV?". I expected an answer telling us why it would but the question was never addressed. As we know, tennis matches got rave reviews from fans of the sport, however, bike riding in the Utah mountains might not provide the same type of thrill or motivation to spur further consumer interest in home theater 3D. There are no plans to air the Super Bowl or expand other major sporting events beyond the occasional game or so and that's what is necessary to spur more interest in the feature.

It does mean more programming on 3DNet but another question is if will it also be enough to help alleviate the complaint by many viewers about the same programs being broadcast over and over and over again?

LOL! I have that complaint about certain HD channels 13 YEARS after the launch of HD.

3D-TV content is a little over a year after launch

The problem with major sporting events like the Super Bowl is that they haven't figured out how to use one set of cameras and get SD, HD and 3D from a single feed and also using a single production truck
post #1726 of 1824 Old 08-22-2011, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL! I have that complaint about certain HD channels 13 YEARS after the launch of HD.

3D-TV content is a little over a year after launch

The problem with major sporting events like the Super Bowl is that they haven't figured out how to use one set of cameras and get SD, HD and 3D from a single feed and also using a single production truck

But hasn't that been figured out with the few games broadcast by the NBA, NHL and MLB?

The Super Bowl might have more to do with cost than anything else It is already the perrenial ratings winner each year so 3D won't bring in any extra revenue (even if 3D is a pay-per-view the revenue wouldn't justify the expense). Also, there are so many Super Bowl parties which would require purchasing extra glasses for the active sets being used. Also ,imagine how many would have to cram into the sweet spot to view the game in 3D - and how many will be drinking at the same time?
post #1727 of 1824 Old 08-22-2011, 07:50 PM

its up to you....
post #1728 of 1824 Old 08-22-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:

But hasn't that been figured out with the few games broadcast by the NBA, NHL and MLB?

Nope. They are using two sets of cameras; one for SD and HD and another for 3D. They are also using two production trucks

They have done some experimenting with taking the left camera's feed and using that for both SD and HD. It was successful enough for ESPN to committ to further broadcasts in 3D. They will solve the issues in time.

The biggest issue is that not all shots look good in 3D, specifically long distance shots. They lose their 3D effectiveness where with HD, they don't. The closer to the action, the better the 3D.

Quote:

The Super Bowl might have more to do with cost than anything else It is already the perrenial ratings winner each year so 3D won't bring in any extra revenue (even if 3D is a pay-per-view the revenue wouldn't justify the expense). Also, there are so many Super Bowl parties which would require purchasing extra glasses for the active sets being used. Also ,imagine how many would have to cram into the sweet spot to view the game in 3D - and how many will be drinking at the same time?

The "sweet spot" is the same for active glasses as it is for an HDTV depending on the type of display (LCD, PDP, etc)

And why no mention of passive glasses 3DTVs? They are being sold and the glasses are less than $10 a pair or just keep the ones they hand out at a RealD 3D movie.

The first HD SuperBowl broadcast was 1999 which was two years after the launch of HDTV (OTA) in the USA. 3DTV is much more complex to produce. It would be common sense to know it will take longer.
post #1729 of 1824 Old 08-23-2011, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nope. They are using two sets of cameras; one for SD and HD and another for 3D. They are also using two production trucks

They have done some experimenting with taking the left camera's feed and using that for both SD and HD. It was successful enough for ESPN to committ to further broadcasts in 3D. They will solve the issues in time.

The biggest issue is that not all shots look good in 3D, specifically long distance shots. They lose their 3D effectiveness where with HD, they don't. The closer to the action, the better the 3D.

The "sweet spot" is the same for active glasses as it is for an HDTV depending on the type of display (LCD, PDP, etc)

And why no mention of passive glasses 3DTVs? They are being sold and the glasses are less than $10 a pair or just keep the ones they hand out at a RealD 3D movie.

The first HD SuperBowl broadcast was 1999 which was two years after the launch of HDTV (OTA) in the USA. 3DTV is much more complex to produce. It would be common sense to know it will take longer.
"And why no mention of passive glasses 3DTVs?"

Actually, I did, that's why I stated active glasses when talking about that added expense. Understand the viewing angle is better on models using passive glasses but Isn't the viewing angle still wider for good standard viewing on a LCD compared to 3D?

As you said, 3D is much more complex to produce and that's another reason why it wouldn't be cost effective for the networks. It would be much more expensive than it was when first airing the Super Bowl OTA in high definition (i.e., use of the same cameras for both SD and HD, etc.).

And the bottom line is would football fans and those casual viewers be interested. Viewership pertains more than to just the game itself as per the attached article explains. The advertisers might not be too happy....

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...-in-3D?src=rss
post #1730 of 1824 Old 08-23-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:

"And why no mention of passive glasses 3DTVs?"

Actually, I did, that's why I stated active glasses when talking about that added expense. Understand the viewing angle is better on models using passive glasses but Isn't the viewing angle still wider for good standard viewing on a LCD compared to 3D?

The viewing angle is based on the TV's technology, not which type of glasses are used. PDP and DLP RPTV have the best. LCD has the worst.

Quote:

As you said, 3D is much more complex to produce and that's another reason why it wouldn't be cost effective for the networks. It would be much more expensive than it was when first airing the Super Bowl OTA in high definition (i.e., use of the same cameras for both SD and HD, etc.).

And the bottom line is would football fans and those casual viewers be interested. Viewership pertains more than to just the game itself as per the attached article explains. The advertisers might not be too happy....

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...-in-3D?src=rss

An inaccurate blog Joe. No mention of passive glasses 3DTVs because that would take away their "the glasses are expensive" talking point. Plus some of his other points are nothing more than nit-picking.

If the Super bowl was going to be broadcast in 3D, how does he know that ads wouldn't be produced in 3D for it? They already have some 3D ads.
post #1731 of 1824 Old 08-23-2011, 01:15 PM

US Tennis Open gets expanded 3D coverage:

http://www.today3d.com/
post #1732 of 1824 Old 08-23-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The viewing angle is based on the TV's technology, not which type of glasses are used. PDP and DLP RPTV have the best. LCD has the worst.

An inaccurate blog Joe. No mention of passive glasses 3DTVs because that would take away their "the glasses are expensive" talking point. Plus some of his other points are nothing more than nit-picking.

If the Super bowl was going to be broadcast in 3D, how does he know that ads wouldn't be produced in 3D for it? They already have some 3D ads.

Hi Lee,

Having a CRT HD set in our main home theater system, I'm not subject to that but I do remember when watching "Journey To The Center Of The Earth" with the old red/blue glasses was able to see the effects from the side, more than a 45 degree angle (can't recall if it was worse than sitting center or not).

The point about the passive glasses is valid and I agree but not everyone uses them. And just because the networks could do it doesn't mean they would broadcast in 3D for there would be no profit made until the situaton changes with a certain minimum portion of the population owning a 3D set and some of the problems mentioned in that article (which was written by lovers of 3D and football) have been rectified and 3D in itself quite popular.
post #1733 of 1824 Old 08-23-2011, 09:10 PM

3net to Launch Kid-Friendly 3D Programming Initiative (Exclusive)

Quote:

Lineup includes new 3D animated series "Bolts & Blip" and "Dream Defenders."

Bolts & Blip is a 26-episode, half-hour series produced by ToonBox Entertainment in partnership with South Korea's Red Rover. This series features BFFs Bolts & Blip, two robots who strive to become battle-bots and play in the Lunar League of Robotic Sports.

Tiny Island Productions' Dream Defenders is a 26-episode, half-hour series that revolves around Zane and Zoey, twins and rivals who serve as the last line of defense between the Real World and the nightmare creatures of the Dreamworld.

Bolts & Blip and Dream Defenders will premiere in a prime-time special on Sept. 25.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ndly-3d-226569
post #1734 of 1824 Old 08-23-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:

Hi Lee,

Having a CRT HD set in our main home theater system, I'm not subject to that but I do remember when watching "Journey To The Center Of The Earth" with the old red/blue glasses was able to see the effects from the side, more than a 45 degree angle (can't recall if it was worse than sitting center or not).

It's just a fact about each of the TV's tech. LCD has the poorest off angle viewing. Just like when you see a DLP RPTV and move your head up and down (alot) - the image brightness changes. CRT and PDP have the best off angle viewing.

Quote:

The point about the passive glasses is valid and I agree but not everyone uses them. And just because the networks could do it doesn't mean they would broadcast in 3D for there would be no profit made until the situaton changes with a certain minimum portion of the population owning a 3D set and some of the problems mentioned in that article (which was written by lovers of 3D and football) have been rectified and 3D in itself quite popular.

It isn't always about making money. Sometimes it's just a case of staying up with other content sources so you don't lose viewers. The networks made no extra money from broadcasting in HD. In fact it cost them each millions to add HDTV. Initially, the programming was sponsered by the HDTV CEMs and Retailers who sold HDTVs. They didn't collect higher advertising fees just because their programming was in HD. The same will carry over for 3D.

If they are working on a 3D standard, they will use it. Why go to the time and money to do so and not use it? They have played around (over the years) with 3D broadcasts (anaglyph) long before anyone else. They were the first to have HD content - now they are the last to have 3D content.
post #1735 of 1824 Old 08-28-2011, 11:02 PM

For me, 3D is amazing experience ever!
post #1736 of 1824 Old 08-29-2011, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's just a fact about each of the TV's tech. LCD has the poorest off angle viewing. Just like when you see a DLP RPTV and move your head up and down (alot) - the image brightness changes. CRT and PDP have the best off angle viewing.

It isn't always about making money. Sometimes it's just a case of staying up with other content sources so you don't lose viewers. The networks made no extra money from broadcasting in HD. In fact it cost them each millions to add HDTV. Initially, the programming was sponsered by the HDTV CEMs and Retailers who sold HDTVs. They didn't collect higher advertising fees just because their programming was in HD. The same will carry over for 3D.

If they are working on a 3D standard, they will use it. Why go to the time and money to do so and not use it? They have played around (over the years) with 3D broadcasts (anaglyph) long before anyone else. They were the first to have HD content - now they are the last to have 3D content.

Lee,

Still believe it is not right to compare the advent of HD with the recent advent of 3D. Both industries will do what they perceive to be in their own self-interest which means profit and not pioneering Many cable providers anticipating the surge in HD interest actually helped defray some of the costs to broadcasters then began charging subscribers extra for the HD - which most are paying for. They saw gold in them thar hills and thus went prospecting.

Guess the best way to monitor the trend is to see how many more sets are sold and how many of those with sets pay extra for the 3D stations or PPV events. If those don't grow hand-in-hand, like it hasn't in Europe, it could indicate consumers wanting what they perceive as the best TV, not necessarily 3D (as the low demand in Europe for extra 3D glasses indicates).

You could be right, I could be right. It depends upon where the chips fall.

Wh
post #1737 of 1824 Old 08-29-2011, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

US Tennis Open gets expanded 3D coverage:

http://www.today3d.com/

Lee, the link provided had an article on video games, not the open.

However, it seems that those in our area will be unable to view unless they subscribe to Direct TV for Time Warner and Cablevision were not listed as carriers of the open in 3D.

Wimbledon got rave reviews and it might be due to not having the problems you pointed out that need to be corrected for other sporting events for it uses a stationery camera that does not have to move to follow the action. The weather certainly will be in it's favor for it's predicted to be sunny and dry on Saturday and Sunday - however, as one might expect, the Apple might get rain on Monday. However, there is still the indoor arena at the Tennis Center so there will be something for Tennis fans with 3D sets to watch.
post #1738 of 1824 Old 08-29-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:

Lee,

Still believe it is not right to compare the advent of HD with the recent advent of 3D. Both industries will do what they perceive to be in their own self-interest which means profit and not pioneering Many cable providers anticipating the surge in HD interest actually helped defray some of the costs to broadcasters then began charging subscribers extra for the HD - which most are paying for. They saw gold in them thar hills and thus went prospecting.

Guess the best way to monitor the trend is to see how many more sets are sold and how many of those with sets pay extra for the 3D stations or PPV events. If those don't grow hand-in-hand, like it hasn't in Europe, it could indicate consumers wanting what they perceive as the best TV, not necessarily 3D (as the low demand in Europe for extra 3D glasses indicates).

You could be right, I could be right. It depends upon where the chips fall.

Wh

It's a great comparison . . . apples to apples.
  • With HD, consumers needed a new display. With 3D, consumers need a new display.
  • With HD you needed HD content. With 3D, you need HD content.
  • With HD, the content delivery companies had to invest in new equipment, With 3D, the content delivery companies have to invest in new equipment but the upcharge is considerably less.
  • With HD, the content suppliers needed new cameras. With 3D, the content suppliers need new cameras.

BTW, I have Comcast. I don't pay extra for 3D content other then PPV

As far as 3DTV sales in Europe . . .

Dixons Group reports 3D TV sales spike

Quote:

Currys and PC World saw a significant leap in sales of 3D televisions during the three months from April to June 2011, with their owner, Dixons Retail group, reporting that one in every five televisions it now sells is a 3D TV.

The retail group also noted that its sales of 3D TVs have shot up 500 per cent over the last twelve months.

http://3dradar.techradar.com/3d-tech...ike-18-08-2011
post #1739 of 1824 Old 08-29-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:

Lee, the link provided had an article on video games, not the open.

That site doesn't allow individual stories to be quoted. Just go down to Aug. 23 for the story

Quote:

However, it seems that those in our area will be unable to view unless they subscribe to Direct TV for Time Warner and Cablevision were not listed as carriers of the open in 3D.

Yep - not all content suppliers are on board with 3D.

Quote:

Wimbledon got rave reviews and it might be due to not having the problems you pointed out that need to be corrected for other sporting events for it uses a stationery camera that does not have to move to follow the action. The weather certainly will be in it's favor for it's predicted to be sunny and dry on Saturday and Sunday - however, as one might expect, the Apple might get rain on Monday. However, there is still the indoor arena at the Tennis Center so there will be something for Tennis fans with 3D sets to watch.

Tennis and basketball are great in 3D because the "action area" they cover is small - compared to football or baseball. the smaller the area that the action occurs in, the better the 3D.
post #1740 of 1824 Old 08-30-2011, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

Lee,
What are the basic Pros & Cons for the following TVs as they apply to veiwing 3D?

LCD-

LED-

Plasma-

I feel there is conflicting info out there as to which one will give the best 3D experience.

Thanks,
Ghpr13

Info=Knowledge=Understanding=Better TV!
I see dead pixels!
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page