Amazon steps into Netflix space with stream plan - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 52 Old 02-25-2011, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have yet to be able to stream Amazon VOD in HD on my Sony 470 despite being able to do so regularly with Netflix HD. I did a YouTube video stream test and the video comes in at 8-10 mbps consistently. They keep blaming my ISP. So I'm not so optimistic about their VOD service.
Has anyone else been able to stream their HD over component? My projector has no HDMI input. I'm sort of wondering if Amazon puts a flag in the data stream to switch the output of the player to 480 if not connected via HDMI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 02-25-2011, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by btmoore View Post

Are you saying your PS3 wont do 5.1 with netflix? I am sure mine is kicking out 5.1, when there is a 5.1 sound track, not all HD movies on netflix have 5.1 sound, which is annoying.

No--I don't have a PS3--so what irritates me is that is taking Netflix so long to migrate 5.1 to other platforms.

Bob

post #33 of 52 Old 02-25-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david0406 View Post

The interface on the S570 is CRAP! That is the BD player I have also. Get a Roku. Way better interface. The Netflix interface on the 570 is crap also. Same thing Roku is WAY better.

The Netflix interface doesn't bother me as I can manage it from my iPhone or computer. I haven't played with Amazon enough to see if I can do searches or load up a queue. I really do not want or need another device right now. If I add anything, it will be an HTPC.
post #34 of 52 Old 02-25-2011, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott P View Post

The Netflix interface doesn't bother me as I can manage it from my iPhone or computer. I haven't played with Amazon enough to see if I can do searches or load up a queue. I really do not want or need another device right now. If I add anything, it will be an HTPC.

Had a Roku for two years and it is the best player out there. I can always connect wireless with no buffering and play Netflix, Pandora. I have a Samsung BD 6500 next to the Roku and can never connect to Netflix. The Ruko interface is perfect to me and very user friendly. I don't really see any title yet in Amazon they are not in Netflix's library. Is it worth $79.00 a year, maybe to some, but look for the usual 2-3% yearly increase over time.

Life is no harder than you make it.
post #35 of 52 Old 02-25-2011, 02:50 PM

Like I said earlier, I already have Prime, so this is just a bonus for me. Unfortunately, I haven't really noticed anything on Amazon that Netflix doesn't offer that I would actually watch. With a HTPC, I can movey DVD's to the computer and stream things like the MLB package. I just need to get around to building the darn thing.
post #36 of 52 Old 02-25-2011, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Well, I tested Amazon's VOD tonight by renting a movie in HD. The video looked like an upconverted DVD and the audio was only in stereo. The connection test from Amazon gave me a full 4 bars and it never stopped to buffer anything during the movie. The signal was run from a DSL modem to a wired D-Link DGL-4100 gigabit router to my Panasonic BD player with Viera Cast to a Pioneer SC-25 to a Panasonic TH-50PZ850U TV. All components from the BD player on are connected by HDMI cables.

The quality of the video and lack of at least DD 5.1 has me putting the lid on the coffin for this service. I wouldn't even use it if it was free.

post #37 of 52 Old 02-26-2011, 07:13 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishniknork View Post

Well, I tested Amazon's VOD tonight by renting a movie in HD. The video looked like an upconverted DVD and the audio was only in stereo. The connection test from Amazon gave me a full 4 bars and it never stopped to buffer anything during the movie. The signal was run from a DSL modem to a wired D-Link DGL-4100 gigabit router to my Panasonic BD player with Viera Cast to a Pioneer SC-25 to a Panasonic TH-50PZ850U TV. All components from the BD player on are connected by HDMI cables.

The quality of the video and lack of at least DD 5.1 has me putting the lid on the coffin for this service. I wouldn't even use it if it was free.

If you rented a movie on Amazons FREE service to its Prime members then my guess is you possibly did not get the stream in HD. It is probably equivalent to a Netflix 2.0 stream. Anytime I have EVER rented a movie from Amazons HD movie list in its application on my ROKU it has always streamed in 5.1 and it states that it is streamed in 5.1 on the movie description when you click on it. Keep in mind this Amazon application is streamed on my Roku. I dont think all applications stream the same in all instances on different devices. Netflix only streams in 5.1 on the PS3 but not on ANY OTHER device that streams netflix to date anyway. Any other device that streams netflix still only streams the AUDIO in 2.0.
post #38 of 52 Old 02-26-2011, 11:45 PM

^
I am not a Prime member although I order enough stuff from them that I probably should be ;-). I rented the movie from Amazon through Viera Cast on my Panasonic BD player and it was from their HD movie list. It was supposed to be "HD", all the titles show "Blu-Ray". I swear it looks like upconverted DVD. None of the movie descriptions I looked at said anything about 5.1 audio and I looked at some of the latest movies out recently, like 'Salt'.

Wait a minute..... I'm gonna look at something.

Hmmm... OK... I just went to Amazon's web site and looked at the 'Video Format Details' for one of the movies. It shows 5.1 audio is only available with a PC download. But that appears to only be with DVD movies, not HD. I can't even FIND a HD movie on their website except for a link that says "Also available in HD with Amazon Instant Video on Your TV". The "Instant Video" from my TV or BD player (Viera Cast) is only streaming and they don't include 5.1 audio or the option to download the movie to PC.

I think I'll stick to renting a physical disc.

post #39 of 52 Old 02-27-2011, 01:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
I think there are quite a few more 5.1 than 0.0001%

I have this belief that Netflix is using this DD5.1 as an ad gimmick. It may be more than 0.0001% but not by much. They have thousands of titles and so far I have scanned many of them for DD5.1 and found 2 I can recall.

Let's start a list thread so we at AVS have some sort of reference until such time as DD5.1 on Netflix becomes ubiquitous.

The two I found after an exhausting search are:
Stargate: Continium DD5.1 on PS3
Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest DD5.1 on PS3

Is it possible that more titles are showing up with DD5.1 on different devices? Like Roku? If so, I'll add that I made the observation with PS3
post #40 of 52 Old 02-27-2011, 06:21 AM

Is it possible that more titles are showing up with DD5.1 on different devices? Like Roku? If so, I'll add that I made the observation with PS3

Netflix only streams 2.0 on the ROKU. Only device to stream the limited amount of Netflix movies in 5.1 is the PS3.
post #41 of 52 Old 02-27-2011, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

For what it's worth, I just got a Roku and bought an episode of Castle from the first season from Amazon (only $.99) and it looked fine to me. My Samsung 6800 showed the input as 720p and my Onkyo 808 decoded the sound as DD5.1--so I was happy with the performance of the Roku--haven't tried a free Prime stream yet.

Bob

post #42 of 52 Old 02-27-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox View Post

For what it's worth, I just got a Roku and bought an episode of Castle from the first season from Amazon (only $.99) and it looked fine to me. My Samsung 6800 showed the input as 720p and my Onkyo 808 decoded the sound as DD5.1--so I was happy with the performance of the Roku--haven't tried a free Prime stream yet.

Would like to know if any of the Prime stream IS in 5.1 or is that just going to be 2.0 like netflix. Might consider joining if that prime stream is actually 5.1 or do they only offer 5.1 with their HD streams on the roku
post #43 of 52 Old 02-28-2011, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david0406 View Post

Would like to know if any of the Prime stream IS in 5.1 or is that just going to be 2.0 like netflix. Might consider joining if that prime stream is actually 5.1 or do they only offer 5.1 with their HD streams on the roku

Not sure if this is representative of what to expect but I did try Charley's Angels and it did not carry a 5.1 audio signal--Roku sent the picture to my TV as 720p.

Bob

post #44 of 52 Old 02-28-2011, 01:30 PM

Liked: 44
post #45 of 52 Old 02-28-2011, 08:23 PM

If that was 720p for the movie I watched the other night from Amazon Instant Video there must be something wrong with the way I'm streaming it or my connection speed just isn't fast enough. My usual download speed is 5.1 Mbps tested on Speedtest.net.

post #46 of 52 Old 03-02-2011, 10:54 AM

Liked: 32
What a bunch of WHINERS.
The service is FREE to PRIME Members, which is in addition to the already great offers for PRIME members. The VOD for PRIME Members does indeed include HD movies. Who cares about it being in 5.1? All the bitching about spending all the money for a nice system, then USE what the system has to offer! Things such as DPLIIx & z, DTS Neo, Audyssey DSX and so on. You spent all that money to NOT use the features readily available to you? I think y'all sound like a bunch of gimme people.

No, Amazon does NOT have all that Netflix has. But so far I have found at least one program that AVOD DOES have the NF won't stream. Not important the title as it is pretty insignificant to most, but the point is they DO have SOME things NF doesn't.

Nothing is going to top a physical disc. Why do you think there is a premium on that type of media? C'mon people, use your heads before making such bold statements like, "well 2.0 only so the coffin lid has been nailed on it."

Ultimately, it needs to be seen for what it is and NOT what it isn't. A streaming FREE service to PRIME members and at this time to be used to complement NF services. Don't bitch that AVOD doesn't have what NF has, 90% of which most will never fully utilize anyway. WAKE UP PEOPLE.

Finally, think of all the people that DON'T have NF anyway but are prime MEMBERS. What a treat and bonus that ULTIMATELY is the BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK going for streaming media. VUDU HD isn't even as good as a physical disc, but no whining going on about that.

In this day and age, FREE is quite the unusual product and Amazon should be commended for doing this. They could have just as easily charged a couple of bucks a month extra, and most would be elated with that option. But go ahead, waste gas and time and money on driving to redbox or blockbuster. If you can afford to do that all the time, you have more dollars than sense in my opinion.
post #47 of 52 Old 03-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

No whining from me--I agree with you on just about all your points. I'm happy with the free Amazon service offered Prime members--and am happy with their PPV service as well. I've said it here in a few places but it is hard to beat the one-stop shopping appeal of Amazon with some titles free, just about all new titles PPV, and you can always buy the blu ray for those special titles at a good price--and get it with free 2-day shipping. No complaints from me.

Bob

post #48 of 52 Old 03-02-2011, 04:14 PM

Doesn't matter if it's FREE if it isn't worth using. For me the video quality (mostly this) and the lack of DD 5.1 makes it NOT worth it. The video quality issue might be on my end, if I can get it figured out I may sign up for PRIME.

I'm not whining, I really, really wish it WAS worth it (to me...).

EDIT: Oh, and BTW, I wasn't EXPECTING disc-quality video. That would be foolish. But if you saw what it looked like on my TV I think you'd agree.

post #49 of 52 Old 03-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

My point is that it is not worth signing up for Prime just for free video streaming--you need to be able to use the primary reason for Prime--Free two-day shipping of your orders. If you like that and our happy to pay $79 a year for it--well then the streaming is just an added benefit to use or not use as you see fit.

Bob

post #50 of 52 Old 03-03-2011, 11:58 AM

Liked: 32
Precisely.
post #51 of 52 Old 03-03-2011, 10:33 PM

Good for Amazon. One question : if people get used to Netflix, will they change to amazon? Also, amazon doesnot have enough video so far to compete with Netflix.
post #52 of 52 Old 03-04-2011, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zju1998 View Post

Good for Amazon. One question : if people get used to Netflix, will they change to amazon? Also, amazon doesnot have enough video so far to compete with Netflix.

I would change to Amazon if they could come up with a monthly plan the included streamimg movies in 5.1. It seems Netflix is slow to provide this service to its customers that dont use PS3s as their device to stream movies. I love that I can get a pay movie from Amazon in 5.1 audio. Maybe there is just not enough customers that REALLY care about the audio aspect of movie streamimg to get Netflix to step in up in providing that. I wont quit my Netflix YET but Amazon could start nipping at its toes. I do like getting this physical disc from Netflix but could easily give that up if the service be it Netflix, Amazon or whomever provided a monthly plan that provided all of its movies streamed in 5.1. Well at least those that are recorded in 5.1.
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page