Amazon steps into Netflix space with stream plan - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 52 Old 02-24-2011, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Amazon steps into Netflix space with stream plan

Amazon.com said Tuesday morning that it has launched a video-streaming media plan for subscribers to its Prime service in direct competition with Netflix Inc. Competition is good for consumers and the studios, bad for Netflix, said Michael Pachter of Wedbush Morgan, who carries a sell rating on Netflix shares. Amazon said it will allow subscribers to its Prime service the ability to stream unlimited, commercial-free movies and TV shows. The company said more than 5,000 titles are available through the service. Prime customers pay $79 a year for access to free, two-day shipping on most orders from the online retail giant. The video streaming service will be available free of additional charge to these subscribers, Amazon said.

For links and more stories visit the new Streaming Media section at HomeToys.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 02-24-2011, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

By the way, I set this up on my DVD player yesterday and it works like a charm. Limited movie selection (looks the same as Netflix streaming selection) but free with Amazon Prime which I have been using for a year now (free 2 day shipping on everything).

So now for $79 per year I have free shipping on everything I buy plus free entertainment streaming to my home theater. Ain't competition great! Just need Amazon to start selling food and I'll never have to leave the house again :-)

Bob
post #3 of 52 Old 02-24-2011, 12:29 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hetherington View Post

Just need Amazon to start selling food and I'll never have to leave the house again :-)

Bob

Maybe I shouldn't mention this Bob, but Amazon.com does have an entire category called "Grocery and Gourmet Food" .
post #4 of 52 Old 02-24-2011, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I love Amazon--and added Prime yesterday--I think they will offer some serious competition for Netflix. Just saw on Hacking Netflix that the company lost $2 billion in value on Tuesday--so I guess the investors think Amazon can serve up some serious competition as well.

For the records, Amazon does sell food!!! (LOL--beat me to it)

http://www.amazon.com/grocery-breakf...&node=16310101

Bob

post #5 of 52 Old 02-24-2011, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Oh No --- now I'm in trouble. An endless supply of

Bob
post #6 of 52 Old 02-24-2011, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Pretty cool for us people that are already prime members. Don't think I'd drop netflix for this just yet. A lot of people are dogging the service because it only has 5,000 titles available compared to netflix's 20,000. But you can't tell me that Netflix started out with 20,000 titles either. Give it time.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #7 of 52 Old 02-24-2011, 01:27 PM

Not ready to give up my Netflix YET either but I can stream HD movies on Amazon in 5.1 Surround on my Roku device which I can NOT currently do with Netflix. This could be a Netflix killer for me if they dont step up to the plate with 5.1 streaming to different devices other than the PS3. SOON!!!! NETFLIX!!!!
post #8 of 52 Old 02-24-2011, 01:32 PM

Liked: 10
I've been a Prime member for a couple years now and only view this as a nice little bonus. I've streamed some HD movies through my Sony S570 to use the VOD credits we received from buying movies. I checked out the Prime selection and think it still needs some work. A better interface is a must though.
post #9 of 52 Old 02-24-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
I've been a Prime member for a couple years now and only view this as a nice little bonus. I've streamed some HD movies through my Sony S570 to use the VOD credits we received from buying movies. I checked out the Prime selection and think it still needs some work. A better interface is a must though.
The interface on the S570 is CRAP! That is the BD player I have also. Get a Roku. Way better interface. The Netflix interface on the 570 is crap also. Same thing Roku is WAY better.
post #10 of 52 Old 02-24-2011, 01:58 PM

Since I have an oppo and a lg blu ray (both not supported for Amazon) I need to hook up my panny 65 directly so my audio is coming out of the panny as opposed to the 7.1 setup I have. So for me; currently the Amazon does not provide a good audio aspect.

post #11 of 52 Old 02-24-2011, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0406 View Post
Not ready to give up my Netflix YET either but I can stream HD movies on Amazon in 5.1 Surround on my Roku device which I can NOT currently do with Netflix. This could be a Netflix killer for me if they dont step up to the plate with 5.1 streaming to different devices other than the PS3. SOON!!!! NETFLIX!!!!
Netflix doesn't stream HD movies with surround?

In any case, if Amazon throws in a couple of rentals and increases the amount of streaming content, it would be worth looking in to. As is, it's not really anything great.

Samsung PN50C7000
Yamaha RX-V775WA
BIC Venturi DV64 Towers
BIC Venturi DV62 CLRs Center

Still building but sounds amazing so far
post #12 of 52 Old 02-24-2011, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
The Netflix 5.1 deal really does tick me off--I have no use for a PS3 but I have 4 devices connected to my HT that can stream Netflix and that still doesn't get me 5.1 sound. At least now I can use my Roku to stream 5.1 content with Amazon.

Bob

post #13 of 52 Old 02-24-2011, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Can anyone make a recommendation on a streamer for Amazon that supports 1080i component & spdif? I need component as my whole house distribution system is based around a component matrix switch, so HDMI is a no go, and I dont want it as it does not work well in a complex multipoint environment. The stupid roku boxes dont do 1080i only 720P on component so they are no go. It is a shame that Amazon does not release a PS3 client, I love the Netflix PS3 interface, IMO Amazon needs the same thing.

thanks
post #14 of 52 Old 02-24-2011, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox View Post
The Netflix 5.1 deal really does tick me off--I have no use for a PS3 but I have 4 devices connected to my HT that can stream Netflix and that still doesn't get me 5.1 sound. At least now I can use my Roku to stream 5.1 content with Amazon.
Are you saying your PS3 wont do 5.1 with netflix? I am sure mine is kicking out 5.1, when there is a 5.1 sound track, not all HD movies on netflix have 5.1 sound, which is annoying.
post #15 of 52 Old 02-24-2011, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
My PS3 does get 5.1 on Netflix. You have to go down to the audio options tab (in netflix, on the same window that has the play movie button). However, it seems to only be 10% of the HD movies that have the option.

For me, Redbox has filled a nice niche in my viewing. With Netflix BR, it has really become a "3 months later" kind of service. I use Redbox for the new stuff. Netflix to fill in the blanks.

With Amazon offering streaming, I can just about see myself giving up on Netflix and doing a combination of RB and Amazon.

I'm almost sad about it, as I've been a Netflix customer from almost the very beginning. But they've really turned there nose up at the BR market, and I took that personally.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #16 of 52 Old 02-24-2011, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

My PS3 does get 5.1 on Netflix. You have to go down to the audio options tab (in netflix, on the same window that has the play movie button). However, it seems to only be 10% of the HD movies that have the option.

For me, Redbox has filled a nice niche in my viewing. With Netflix BR, it has really become a "3 months later" kind of service. I use Redbox for the new stuff. Netflix to fill in the blanks.

With Amazon offering streaming, I can just about see myself giving up on Netflix and doing a combination of RB and Amazon.

I'm almost sad about it, as I've been a Netflix customer from almost the very beginning. But they've really turned there nose up at the BR market, and I took that personally.

+100. I might also go with RB+Amazon route as well.
My only issue right now is PS3 does not support Amazon
post #17 of 52 Old 02-24-2011, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

+100. I might also go with RB+Amazon route as well.
My only issue right now is PS3 does not support Amazon

Ok. Good to know. Could be a deal breaker for a lot of potential subscribers.
post #18 of 52 Old 02-24-2011, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

Not so fast. There are alot of movies that you can't get thru Amazon Prime or Redbox. Netflix has a ton of movies that I want to watch. i.e. foreign films and documentaries.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #19 of 52 Old 02-24-2011, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
How does streaming compare to using the actual DVD or Blu Ray? Specifically the surround sound. I have a PS3, but also a Blockbuster Access account which allows me to exchange DVDs and/or Blu Ray in store for another movie. I have been looking into streaming, the drive to the store is getting old, but if a physical disc gives a better performance it is worthwhile.
post #20 of 52 Old 02-24-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobrew View Post

Netflix doesn't stream HD movies with surround?

In any case, if Amazon throws in a couple of rentals and increases the amount of streaming content, it would be worth looking in to. As is, it's not really anything great.

Only on the PS3 currently
post #21 of 52 Old 02-24-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:

And it seems Im on the long wait, VERY long wait, short wait list in perpetuity for recent movies on Netflix. Gets a little frustrating when you have had a movie in your que at the top and it takes a month or longer to get it.
post #22 of 52 Old 02-24-2011, 06:55 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dledmo View Post

How does streaming compare to using the actual DVD or Blu Ray? Specifically the surround sound. I have a PS3, but also a Blockbuster Access account which allows me to exchange DVDs and/or Blu Ray in store for another movie. I have been looking into streaming, the drive to the store is getting old, but if a physical disc gives a better performance it is worthwhile.

The disc will give you 1080p video instead of 1080i and either the TrueHD or Master audio tracks. I don't know for sure but I think streaming will only give you Dolby Digital 5.1 at best.

Can anybody else verify this?

Personally I have always prefered to rent the BluRay disc. I didn't spend all that money on a HT setup to watch movies in 1080i and stereo. But... my favorite Blockbuster store closed shop today. I've done Amazon through my Panasonic TV before but it's been a year or so and I don't remember what audio I was able to get. I think it was only stereo because I was running the sound through an optical cable from my stereo TV to the receiver.

Would running the stream through my Panny BD player to Receiver to TV allow me to at least get the DD 5.1 audio?

post #23 of 52 Old 02-24-2011, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup View Post

Not so fast. There are alot of movies that you can't get thru Amazon Prime or Redbox. Netflix has a ton of movies that I want to watch. i.e. foreign films and documentaries.

Seems like it would effect you then. In theory, I want to watch more foreign and docs, but reality is that I never get around to it.

The extended library from Netflix doesn't amount to much for me.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #24 of 52 Old 02-24-2011, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've been a Prime Member for a couple of years and was pleasantly surprised by the free streaming service. I've never messed with Netflix so this works out well for me and my Sony Blu-ray player.
I missed out on a lot of BBC shows like Prime Evil, Torchwood, Red Dwarf and a few seasons of the more recent Dr. Who. Now I can catch up. I do wish there was more HD content and more shows/movies in surround sound. Also, I have to keep a closer eye on my Comcast download cap now.
post #25 of 52 Old 02-24-2011, 08:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Went through the compatibility list and with all I have, amazon prime streaming only works here with my xbox 360 and windows media center from one computer using unbox player.
So, I downloaded the player and installed it. Then added a couple of older movies that were free as advertised, most still cost. Once it was downloaded and in my public folder I went to my xbox and sure enough amazon application showed up after I accessed the media center. Now the trouble began. The movie was full of buffering and frame jerking. I was not ready to sit through this. Hope they get the bugs worked out.

I have Netflix running on PS3, OPPO BD93 and my Xbox. So far only PS3 permits DD5.1 and then only on 3 movies I have seen so far. Most are still in stereo analog audio, even the HD movies. You'd think Netflix would offer all new releases now in DD5.1 but they don't. Someone here mentioned 10% but I think that was being very kind. My guess would be that poster was off several decimal places and it seems more like .0001% not 10%.

Someone mentioned the stock being off. I have traded Netflix twice in cycles now in the past 5 months and made some very nice change. It is a stock that has a very high P/E and therefore very risky. I'm out now and waiting for the next bottom. If you find the need to trade this, be sure to watch every day so you don't get burned as it is a $40 stock trading over $200 based on true earnings. All it will take for Netflix to fall is the ISP or studios raising their costs. A third risk is competition but nice Netflix has the big jump on everyone else. Netflix needs better long term contracts on content and uplink service to be a safe investment. Meanwhile let's all make some money on it's stock mood swings and enjoy the product.
post #26 of 52 Old 02-25-2011, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Went through the compatibility list and with all I have, amazon prime streaming only works here with my xbox 360 and windows media center from one computer using unbox player.
So, I downloaded the player and installed it. Then added a couple of older movies that were free as advertised, most still cost. Once it was downloaded and in my public folder I went to my xbox and sure enough amazon application showed up after I accessed the media center. Now the trouble began. The movie was full of buffering and frame jerking. I was not ready to sit through this. Hope they get the bugs worked out.

I have Netflix running on PS3, OPPO BD93 and my Xbox. So far only PS3 permits DD5.1 and then only on 3 movies I have seen so far. Most are still in stereo analog audio, even the HD movies. You'd think Netflix would offer all new releases now in DD5.1 but they don't. Someone here mentioned 10% but I think that was being very kind. My guess would be that poster was off several decimal places and it seems more like .0001% not 10%.

Someone mentioned the stock being off. I have traded Netflix twice in cycles now in the past 5 months and made some very nice change. It is a stock that has a very high P/E and therefore very risky. I'm out now and waiting for the next bottom. If you find the need to trade this, be sure to watch every day so you don't get burned as it is a $40 stock trading over $200 based on true earnings. All it will take for Netflix to fall is the ISP or studios raising their costs. A third risk is competition but nice Netflix has the big jump on everyone else. Netflix needs better long term contracts on content and uplink service to be a safe investment. Meanwhile let's all make some money on it's stock mood swings and enjoy the product.

I think there are quite a few more 5.1 than 0.0001% However, Netflix does not make it easy to find. First, you cannot "search" for it. Second, you need to go into Audio/Subtitle setting and then select it. It is not even "by default"!!
To me, if netflix wants to make streaming a "default", they need to have at least 10x more "newer' movies in 1080p HD and at least 5.1. HT these days are become more and more common and more and more cheap.. people is not going to be satisfied with "broadcast quality" movie.
post #27 of 52 Old 02-25-2011, 05:05 AM

So what happens when ISP's start upping their pricing claiming the xtra bandwidth for all this streaming is killing the networks (like canada) where they want to charge $1 to $2 per gig with the Usage Based Billing. Will Amazon start their own network?
post #28 of 52 Old 02-25-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance_60031 View Post

Since I have an oppo and a lg blu ray (both not supported for Amazon) I need to hook up my panny 65 directly so my audio is coming out of the panny as opposed to the 7.1 setup I have. So for me; currently the Amazon does not provide a good audio aspect.

Does your Panny have HDMI 1.4? If so, you need to use the Audio Return Channel (ARC) to send the audio to your receiver. Then you will get 5.1.
post #29 of 52 Old 02-25-2011, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Before Netflix came to the Xbox 360, I streamed Amazon video to it via the unbox app on my pc, and it worked fine. But, I'm not ready to quit Netflix just yet. It still has far more choices than Amazon and I don't have to steam it from a pc to watch content on my Xbox 360 as well as still getting discs by mail. Although, this is a great incentive to sign up for Prime.
post #30 of 52 Old 02-25-2011, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Amazon needs to develop a PS3 based player and get their content levels up, then I might consider it. I doubt I'd drop Netflix though...
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page