Samsung shows off 55-inch glasses-free 3D TV prototype - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-21-2011, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Samsung shows off 55-inch glasses-free 3D TV prototypeV

Samsung hasn't exactly been as big on glasses-free 3D TVs as some other manufacturers in recent years, but it's now showing one off at the FPD China trade show -- or a prototype of one, anyway. According to Tech-On!, the 55-inch display is able to accommodate nine different viewpoints for glasses-free 3D viewing, and it can be switched into a 2D mode at any time, which works by changing the optical refraction index of an LCD panel that sits on top of the main LCD that's actually used to display images. Right now, the prototype is also relying on a direct-lit CCFL backlight, although Samsung notes that would likely be replaced with an LED backlight before it actually hits the market -- something that's still a good three years away.

For links and more stories visit the new Streaming Media section at HomeToys.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-21-2011, 09:52 AM

Liked: 44
Samsung says glasses-free 3D TVs are still 10 years out

Quote:

Samsung told the Wall Street Journal it can make glasses-free 3D TVs, but its viewing angles are limited at this time. Samsung prefers a 3D TV that can be viewed without glasses from at least 32 viewing angles. That kind of TV will take around five years to produce. It is estimated to take an additional five years to lower the production cost of these TVs. Television broadcasters will also have to do some upgrading to accommodate this technology

http://www.gamertell.com/gaming/comm...-10-years-out/
post #3 of 14 Old 03-21-2011, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I think sticking with a regular 2D TV and waiting for this technology to evolve over the next five years is a good idea. By then, there will also be enough movies and HD broadcasts in 3D to justify it. As it stands today, I would only buy a 3D TV that required glasses if the price premium was no more than 10% over what the equivalent 2D TV would cost.
post #4 of 14 Old 03-21-2011, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
3D Tv;s cost no more than they would have cost without it. You aren't paying the premium because they are 3D but because you want exceptional 2D quality.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-22-2011, 05:11 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

3D Tv;s cost no more than they would have cost without it. You aren't paying the premium because they are 3D but because you want exceptional 2D quality.

They get you on those $100+ 3D glasses though.

I never thought the idea of everyone watching TV wearing 3D glasses would really catch on. It doesn't work well for people who wear glasses, and you could never have enough glasses for everyone.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-22-2011, 12:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

The way this technology is evolving, I can't afford to keep up. I too will wait for an effective, glasses free, front projector system. If flat panels preceed projectors by a significant period of time, I may have to replace the 50" family room rear projector, but either way, I'll wait.

Life's a Beach,
or at least it was supposed to be.

My theater in my Wife's house.
DIYer Takes Over Home

post #7 of 14 Old 03-22-2011, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
In 10 Years, we'll have 2K or 4K resolution TVs. That's what I want (the 4K)!!
post #8 of 14 Old 03-22-2011, 03:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvnbysound View Post

They get you on those $100+ 3D glasses though.

I never thought the idea of everyone watching TV wearing 3D glasses would really catch on. It doesn't work well for people who wear glasses, and you could never have enough glasses for everyone.

Typical of someone who doesn't understand. First of all how do you know people who wear glasses have trouble with 3D? My wife wears glasses for corrective vision and has no complaints about the 3D viewing. Plus, she has seen the glasses free systems and prefers the freedom of movement than the lock you head still to see the 3D requirement. Not to mention she enjoys 3D and is thrilled we have that capability and dont have to wait for 10 more years. But in 10 years if they can make a system glasses free that has the freedom of position to watch and is of equal quality, then we surely will upgrade. For now we are enjoying 3D and you are not. if you dont like 3D thats ok by me as i know it isnt for everyone.
And most of all, i dont feel the need to supply the entire neighborhood with glasses. We just need two pair which came with the projector.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-22-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHDTV? View Post

Yea, if that type of TV comes out, where's the content going to come from. A new movie distribution medium will indeed need to be in place. Blu-ray 2.0? Holographic? If broadcast TV is still 1080i/p, then I wouldn't imagine most people wanting to upgrade to justify the cost. But then again if the TV industry only makes those type of TVs, then there'd be no choice in getting one. Just like the CRT TV's death.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-22-2011, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

The new passive 3D TVs are awesome. No flicker, cheap throwaway glasses, great viewing angles.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-22-2011, 06:04 PM

This will give you stiff neck. LOL.

No thanks.

I will wait it out for 1000 points, not 9.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-24-2011, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skram0 View Post

Yea, if that type of TV comes out, where's the content going to come from. A new movie distribution medium will indeed need to be in place. Blu-ray 2.0? Holographic? If broadcast TV is still 1080i/p, then I wouldn't imagine most people wanting to upgrade to justify the cost. But then again if the TV industry only makes those type of TVs, then there'd be no choice in getting one. Just like the CRT TV's death.

Movies have been archived at 2k resolution for just about 10 years and over the last few years at 4k resolution. At CES a couple of years ago, they were showing prototype screens of these resolutions. TV broadcast will have to upgrade though.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-24-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHDTV? View Post

I'd like to see that myself. I do enjoy 3d, but I have a feeling over time it's going to have side effects on peoples vision. Blurred vision, headaches etc..hopefully not. I thought 2160p tv's we're the next step? My question is, at what resolution does the human eye no longer see a difference in picture clarity? Not knowing the answer has limited my blu-ray movie buying.

I try to limit my buying of blu-ray films to pristine or near pristine picture quality. The majority of my movie collection is standard dvd. Would hate to replace them all with blu-ray, only to find out we may be only a few years away from the next big thing.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-07-2011, 02:06 AM

I saw an article on this product and it has good reviews. Samsung never fails to deliver the goods in every model they are having.

Home System | A/V Accessories & Cables
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page