Starz to Delay Release of Shows on Netflix - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 49 Old 03-26-2011, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just means me and a lot of other people won't see Showtime or Starz content. The ship of old distribution has sailed. If you want people to see your content its up to you, but people mostly won't pay $12 a month anymore just for Showtime. I will stick with Netflix and their pay model and if they lose all of their content hopefully they will have enough original by then, but I, like a lot of other people, aren't interested in the old ala carte model and with the internet there are way too many entertainment choices then to spend $10 a channel that plays the same 12 things over and over and over again every month.

My feeling is if Tivo would have seen the light 2 years before they started selling their software, instead of both the software and hardware together, they would be the dominate dvr service on every cable and satellite provider. The fact is they stuck to their guns, scoffed when the opportunity was there, and watched their market share dwindle to what it is today. That is where I see companies like Starz and Showtime heading. Instead of adopting to a new world, they are digging in and hoping to revert back to 1990 distribution models. Good luck with that, but I wouldn't bet on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 03-26-2011, 09:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811 View Post

I'm rooting for netflix as I'm a subscriber, but don't think just because they have tons of money they will over take companies that have years and years on NF with everyone accustomed to using their services. Netflix is a secondary form of entertainment not a primary like cable/sat. If you can't understand that, I can say anything to you it won't matter.

Since we are on a Starz thread, I'll just mention that NF has more subscribers to streaming already than Starz has CATV subscribers .. and trust me, I understand how it works ..

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #33 of 49 Old 03-26-2011, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 386
I must say I've been enjoying Netflix tremendously (I've had it about 6 weeks). I'm SO much happier than I was with Directv. What a great feeling it is not to be paying over a hundred bucks a month for hundreds of worthless channels, reality shows, and commercials! I'm wishing the best for Netflix.
post #34 of 49 Old 03-26-2011, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by senkoskipper View Post

Oh boy, the morale patrol. Let me guess, your prolly the guy that will "cast the first stone", get over yourself man. If it makes you feel better, you and your flawless moral compass can continue to keep the movie industry in business, however much longer that will be. Torrents are here to stay and movies and music will continually be free.

How do you think the movie and record industry stays in business? If everything was free then nothing would be produced. I'm not a fan of how the industry controls their content(Macrovision, DRM, etc) but it is their content not yours to freely distribute. I guess in your world it's also ok to shoplift DVD's and CD's, when you get caught by security you tell them you think everything should be free.

BTW: I can cast the first stone because I have never downloaded or uploaded anything illegally.

As for the Starz deal I think it sets a bad precedent, other studios/distributors will soon follow their lead.
post #35 of 49 Old 03-26-2011, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Oh boy, the morale patrol. Let me guess, your prolly the guy that will "cast the first stone", get over yourself man. If it makes you feel better, you and your flawless moral compass can continue to keep the movie industry in business, however much longer that will be. Torrents are here to stay and movies and music will continually be free.

Some of actually do have a moral compass .. it may not be flawless, but we do know when what we are doing is against the law ..

If everyone did what you seem so proud to do, there would be no content .. paying customers are what make music & films available to thieves ..

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #36 of 49 Old 03-26-2011, 10:18 AM

Well, lets see, I have cable TV and Netflix. I watch Netflix about 99% of the time and cable TV for the news channels. My wife watches the cooking shows and news. So, I am paying 65 bucks a month for cable TV I never watch other than the above channels. What a waste of money. I use to watch a few series but could not stand some fool yelling at me to buy some product I would never consider any way. And right in the most exciting parts of the movie! Thats why I moved to Netflix. If I have to wait 3 months, then it will be no worse than the 30 days for new releases. If the studios make it more and more difficult to view content, then I will just go ride my motorcycle or read a book. I am one that will not be held hostage by any content provider. I can afford just so much and no more. I am one who knows just how to turn off the money spigot! Beware providers! You can go the way of the dodo just as easily as Block Buster. I don't like stealing content, but will not be raped for it!
Anyway, this is just my opinion.

Visit my home page for ideas on your HT project.
post #37 of 49 Old 03-27-2011, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:

When people steal things that impact your job...Theft equals job loss for people. It isn't the fat cats that lose their jobs, it's sales reps, janitors, regular people.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #38 of 49 Old 03-27-2011, 09:22 AM

hi,

my main reason for having netflix is the availability of foreign movies.

the number off movies on streaming is very poor !!, i could not imagine paying for streaming only, and i thinking going for blu-ray subscription..
post #39 of 49 Old 03-27-2011, 12:26 PM

I have a one Blu-Ray at a time subscription and of course I get unlimited streaming. I have been using NF basically since it came out. I have always felt it to be a great value. I could care less if certain content is delayed because frankly, there is so much available that I will never run out of entertainment. I don't need to see the newest releases as they come out.
post #40 of 49 Old 03-27-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811 View Post
That sucks as I watch Spartacus on netflix as they have the new episodes a day after the premiere. This move still wont make me subscribe to stars as the service for me cost more then hbo, showtime and cinimax combined. On well It looks the more popular netflix gets the more the big companies turn their back on them or want to charge more for content.
By doing this to Netflix it will drive people back to downloading the programs again via P2P.. People don't want to wait 3 months for the program to air on NetFlix.
post #41 of 49 Old 03-27-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw2

By doing this to Netflix it will drive people back to downloading the programs again via P2P.. People don't want to wait 3 months for the program to air on NetFlix.
I agree, basically if people don't want to wait for content they will resort to p2p networks to get what they want.

I had a conversation with a friend, and we discussed was the usage restriction on content. I feel if you buy something if it be from the iTunes store Netflix subscription or other stores. When u buy it why should u be restricted to only playing the movie on an authorized device
post #42 of 49 Old 03-28-2011, 06:39 AM

Starz contribution to Netflix is negligible as far as I'm concerned. The first film I started to watch and then realized it was a pan-and-scan butcher-job, put me off the Starz choice for good. I don't pay for cable and/or satellite service and, if I did, I wouldn't have a pay service (even the lauded HBO!) that butchers films. I may wind up dropping Netflix for that reason. (But not as long as I can still get dvds and blu-rays that present films in the correct fashion!
post #43 of 49 Old 03-28-2011, 10:55 AM

It almost seems like content providers are wanting to force you to pay for the service to be able to view the films. But if some like to subscribe and others do not, but want to subscribe to another service to view the content (netflix) then the provider still makes money off the films. Although not as much as on their own service. I would think that is better than not making anything on the films after streamed on their own service, or having someone doing p2p for the film and the provider making nothing at all. Most people are like me in the sense that they do not like to be forced into something, and would rather just forget about the content all together. That hurts the content providers and the artists both. You can squeeze just so much out of the public before they say enough!

Visit my home page for ideas on your HT project.
post #44 of 49 Old 03-28-2011, 11:48 AM

It`s the "dog chasing its tail" syndrome all over again. Those lamenting the video and sound quality of Netflix videos want greater improvements, of course all such improvements will require greater streaming bandwidth which in turn will cause a greater demand for increased monthly charges from internet providers, even to the point of most setting limits for monthly used bandwidth with additional charges for anything in excess, something some providers are already doing.
post #45 of 49 Old 03-28-2011, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky1002 View Post

It`s the "dog chasing its tail" syndrome all over again. Those lamenting the video and sound quality of Netflix videos want greater improvements, of course all such improvements will require greater streaming bandwidth which in turn will cause a greater demand for increased monthly charges from internet providers, even to the point of most setting limits for monthly used bandwidth with additional charges for anything in excess, something some providers are already doing.

Compression algorithms in the works will solve the bandwidth issues .. bandwidth caps for 90% + are a non-issue .. if folks don't like NF PQ and SQ, then let them move on to VUDU or what not .. to me, NF is the best deal going and it is what it is ..

Uncle Willie

post #46 of 49 Old 03-29-2011, 09:53 AM

Having just set myself up to stream (through a BR player) Netflix to my tv, I am generally pleased. I don't expect it to look like my blu rays.
As for the Starz connection, they can keep it. I put two films from Starz on my queue and when I started them I discovered the usual idiot-pleasing pan and scan butcher jobs. So, no Starz for me-- on Netflix or off.
post #47 of 49 Old 03-29-2011, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I might be in the minority, but the delay of content on Netflix means very little to me. I don't subscribe to Netflix for new releases. I use it for my kids to watch a show in the evening before bed, and for me to catch all the great documentaries. I occasionally catch an old TV series too. I have watched very few films, maybe 5% of viewing, and they have all been old films from a good while back.

I use BB online for all new release blu-ray viewing (3 out at a time subscription). For $8/month, netflix is still an awesome deal for me as a supplimental content provider.

Of course, this is just my situation, but I'm sure there are others in my boat.

Dan
post #48 of 49 Old 04-01-2011, 05:07 PM

My quick "what would you do if you where netflix" tells me is that this is an economies of scale game.

1) If they do pay per view, they are doomed, as their client base likes the fixed price above anything else.
2) If they want to become and HBO, they are doomed, as they are not a premium channel, but rather the opposite. If the offered a greater reduced number of unique shows, I'd pass and look for something more netflix like than what they'd become
3) As premium content disappears from Netflix, delays get introduced, etc. it opens windows for a different dominant player.
4) If the "buffet" streaming industry fragments, exclusive deals will mean reduced income, as many people are more akin to give me good options but not necessarily all, keep the price down. So studios will strike some exclusive deals that are time limited. But that would erode, as now Amazon and others will offer better deals for share. But then, they'll have a smaller base and therefore less money and a larger collection to sustain.
5) Netflix can't accept a fragmentation, but doesn't have a solution yet. They can only solve it through product management (adjusting what they sell).

From there it flows naturally (for me at least and I have though of many objections that have answers) that the only way to do it is to offer more money to the studios, and some neutrality in the model.

This means - following their core that took them to the top - combining fixed price to the consumer but pay per view to the studios. Their only chance is meeting both ends in a happy way.

An the only way to do that is to limit the number of shows you can view a months. After all, netfli is any dvd you want for a fixed price. If you want more than what the natural limit of going through mail offers, you need 3, 4 or 5 at a time.

How that would work is offering you the standard channels all that your eyes can eat (all the non premium stuff) and an option for the premium stuff that would work exactly as the DVD option, with instant play of up to 5 premium movies a month, then for a little extra 8 movies a month and then 12 and maybe 15....for a fixed price.

Now, the difference is that they will have to with those studios that are sharing their movies and buy their business model. If your movies is not so good, do the fixed price for the unlimited more broad service. If your movie is premium (people will chose your movie even if they can only chose 5 of those a month), then go for the premium agreement and netflix will share the revenue based on views.

It's just adding more sense to the pay per view.

Now, I am not saying this is the best. But it is what I would do if I where the netflix management caring for my long term success. The studios would have a platform can be neutral.

For the consumer, it means knowing exactly how much you'll spend - a fixed rate. The sense of unlimited movies is preserved, a little more money is extracted, as time passes the streaming costs go down, the network grows, etc.

The only risk is having the studios do this without netflix help. BUT, that doesn't work, you'd need an independent firm. They are better of sharing stocks of netflix and sitting at their board, and take them as the standard.

They would then only add the "buy" option for the movies, and share the largest chunk of that with the studios.

They key to everything here is making the case with the studios that a fragmented landscape is going to slow down sales for several years, bother the consumer (which will spend less in movies than they are doing today, and - overall - just reduce the industry growth).
post #49 of 49 Old 04-03-2011, 04:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Not crazy about the PQ of STARZ anyway. Like others here, I want and expect picture quality even if I am streaming from Netflix. Blu Ray has spoiled me.

Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page