Amazon Cloud Player puts your music on the Web - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 03-29-2011, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Amazon Cloud Player puts your music on the Web

The so-called celestial jukebox that digital-music dreamers talked about in the 1990s looks a little closer. Early Tuesday morning, Amazon launched a Web-based music service that lets you listen to your songs from Internet-connected computers and Android smartphones. Called Cloud Player, it lets Amazon's Cloud Drive servers take the place of a computer's hard drive or a phone's flash storage--provided either device has a sufficiently fast connection to the Internet and a user whose Amazon account includes a valid U.S. billing address. The Seattle retailer provides 5 gigabytes of storage for free; buying an MP3 album from its store upgrades that quota to 20 GB. You can sync new Amazon purchases to your Cloud Drive automatically. But you can also upload other songs from a Mac or Windows computer using Amazon's MP3 Uploader. Contrary to what that name suggests, it will also upload AAC files bought from iTunes, provided they're not older purchases locked with the digital-rights-management system Apple retired in April of 2009.

For links and more stories visit the new Streaming Media section at HomeToys.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-29-2011, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
Questions of the hour -

Do we want to put our music in a cloud?

Should we be jamming the pipeline with everyone's personal streaming music or will it clog up the works?

What can hackers do with this to wreck it for the rest of us?

Will you use this service or do you prefer to keep your music files on your own devices --- or both?

Bob
post #3 of 20 Old 03-29-2011, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I think it is a good idea--for some--those who want it. Apple is supposed to be working on a similar project so it is more the case of Amazon getting it out first. They do the same thing now with movies and TV shows in that when you buy them, they keep them on their servers for you to access them. I am ok with having music on their servers--but I do also want it on my own storage media as well.

Bob

post #4 of 20 Old 03-29-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hetherington View Post

Will you use this service or do you prefer to keep your music files on your own devices --- or both?

Do people really do this, store things in the cloud without keeping a local backup? That's just insane IMO. Don't come crying when the service crashes and you loose your files. Always, always keep a local backup, it's just crazy not too.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #5 of 20 Old 03-29-2011, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I use Pogoplug and have 2 of my hard drives available online. I can instantly stream music/video from those drives to my iphone/any web connected device / PS3.

Much more control as i own the device and I pay only the one time fee of buying the unit(55 bucks). Plus only one who can access it is myself and the people i want to share it with.

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays
PSN Id:blitz500

post #6 of 20 Old 03-29-2011, 01:41 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman S View Post

I use Pogoplug and have 2 of my hard drives available online. I can instantly stream music/video from those drives to my iphone/any web connected device / PS3.

Much more control as i own the device and I pay only the one time fee of buying the unit(55 bucks). Plus only one who can access it is myself and the people i want to share it with.

So you can connect to your music through 3g from your iphone if say your in the car?

You don't need the pgoplug video for video? How did you get one for 55?
post #7 of 20 Old 03-29-2011, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake View Post

So you can connect to your music through 3g from your iphone if say your in the car?

You don't need the pgoplug video for video? How did you get one for 55?

I haven't tried pogoplug app for video(jtc - when i say videos- i mean my personal videos on my drive) over 3G yet but i have used it flawlessly for streaming audio over 3G to my phone(in fact i'm listening to it right now).

I picked it up for that price during a sale at amazon a while back. It's currently at about 67$ which is still not a bad price. Also like the fact that it has a active copy software- so stuff i copy over to one drive from my pc automatically gets backed up to the other drive.

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays

post #8 of 20 Old 03-29-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:

I haven't tried pogoplug app for video over 3G yet but i have used it flawlessly for streaming audio over 3G to my phone(in fact i'm listening to it right now). I picked it up for that price during a sale at amazon a while back. It's currently at about 67$ which is still not a bad price. Also like the fact that it has a active copy software- so stuff i copy over to one drive from my pc automatically gets backed up to the other drive.

that's awesome... i'll probably pick one up. You have to use an external HDD with it though right?
post #9 of 20 Old 03-29-2011, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

that's awesome... i'll probably pick one up. You have to use an external HDD with it though right?

Correct, it does not have internal storage, it provides virtual cloud service to you. The good part is you do not upload any data, you just connect your external hard drives to the unit and connect the unit to your LAN router.

Then all the drives you connect(it has 4 ports i think - ive connected 2 drives[2TB each]) are available through it's various interfaces- both online and in your home network.

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays

post #10 of 20 Old 03-29-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:

Correct, it does not have internal storage, it provides virtual cloud service to you. The good part is you do not upload any data, you just connect your external hard drives to the unit and connect the unit to your LAN router.

Then all the drives you connect(it has 4 ports i think - ive connected 2 drives[2TB each]) are available through it's various interfaces- both online and in your home network.

How are you liking the APP for the iphone? How is the interface? Can you see album art? Anything you don't like?
post #11 of 20 Old 03-29-2011, 02:58 PM

The amazon cloud only has an android app? Is there plans for an iphone app?
post #12 of 20 Old 03-29-2011, 03:50 PM

I really like the idea, but it's one more cloud service that I'm worried about using with the upcoming tier-based internet caps.
post #13 of 20 Old 03-30-2011, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Ah, the more things change the more they stay the same.

I've run an FTP server for the past 18 years. Always secure access to what I needed where ever I was (provided I had a connection).

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

post #14 of 20 Old 03-30-2011, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How are you liking the APP for the iphone? How is the interface? Can you see album art? Anything you don't like?

Yes i can see album art, browse by artists/albums/genres etc. Nothing to complain about as far as music streaming goes.

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays

post #15 of 20 Old 04-03-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:

The powerful feature of the Android app is that it gives you the option to stream or to download the songs locally. I have found that streaming over WiFi works well. With Sprint's 3G network, it takes a few minutes before the first song starts streaming.

It would be awesome if there was an iPhone app. It was also be great if Amazon create a version of this streaming music player for the Roku, Tivo and other platforms they are on.
post #16 of 20 Old 04-03-2011, 06:30 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

I haven't tried pogoplug app for video(jtc - when i say videos- i mean my personal videos on my drive) over 3G yet but i have used it flawlessly for streaming audio over 3G to my phone(in fact i'm listening to it right now).

I picked it up for that price during a sale at amazon a while back. It's currently at about 67$ which is still not a bad price. Also like the fact that it has a active copy software- so stuff i copy over to one drive from my pc automatically gets backed up to the other drive.

I've purchased 2 Dockstars (so that I can network 6 drives) which are also Pogoplug based. They work great for streaming or simply cloud storage.
post #17 of 20 Old 04-09-2011, 09:14 PM

best your ideas.

Classifieds ads not register Get your backlink for free.
post #18 of 20 Old 04-20-2011, 02:20 AM

Quote:

Agree with RangerOne - The WiFi2HiFi app can not only stream Amazon Cloud Player, but also Spotify, Grooveshark and all the others.
post #19 of 20 Old 06-07-2011, 02:00 AM

I have been looking for other options of mp3 players aside from iPod. I think iPod has been dominating the mp3 world too. This is a good find i believe, this has a decent media storage. Honestly, you can't believe such improvement that is.

Home System | A/V Accessories & Cables
post #20 of 20 Old 10-26-2011, 04:16 AM

Do not know if it's good or bad everything is in the cloud. Music, applications, data. All we'll leave it to others. Is this good?
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page