Best Buy Beefing Up Web, Downsizing Stores - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 109 Old 04-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Member
 
kirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Things I have learned from the knowledgeable people who work at Best Buy:

1) Only buy Samsung TV's. No other TV can compare in way way, regardless of the model.

2) Super expensive gold-plated digital cables make music sound richer and fuller than less expensive cables.

3) Bose sets the standard for audio.

4) My 2GB USB flash drive needs a support plan.


Good times.
kirth is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 109 Old 04-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
A&M 350Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, Best Buy isn't the only one who wants to sell you special cables. In fact, their special cables are much cheaper than the snake oil the local audio stores want to sell. So that point is mute. Actually, the local best buy store where I live has a magnolia which carries audiosource cables. Their entry level cables are reasonably priced, great quality and look good. I still use monoprice for most though.

I know. It is in vogue to bash best buy. Everyone here seems to love to do it. Regardless, I enjoy there convenience. They also serve as a gateway drug to newbies in home theater. For those wanting to browse it is much less intimidating to run into best buy and look than the local store which will often scare of the entry level crowd with the prices. In that regard, if best buy can bring more people to this hobby, regardless of if they purchase there or amazon, it is good for the industry.
A&M 350Z is offline  
post #33 of 109 Old 04-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Member
 
kirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M 350Z View Post

Well, Best Buy isn't the only one who wants to sell you special cables. In fact, their special cables are much cheaper than the snake oil the local audio stores want to sell. So that point is mute. Actually, the local best buy store where I live has a magnolia which carries audiosource cables. Their entry level cables are reasonably priced, great quality and look good. I still use monoprice for most though.

I know. It is in vogue to bash best buy. Everyone here seems to love to do it. Regardless, I enjoy there convenience. They also serve as a gateway drug to newbies in home theater. For those wanting to browse it is much less intimidating to run into best buy and look than the local store which will often scare of the entry level crowd with the prices. In that regard, if best buy can bring more people to this hobby, regardless of if they purchase there or amazon, it is good for the industry.

I think you mean to say that the point is "moot" rather than "mute." You are the first person I have ever heard say that any of Best Buy's cables were reasonably priced.

I appreciate the fact that you shop at Best Buy, I shop there quite frequently myself out of necessity. But to state that I am merely "bashing " Best Buy because to do so is "in vogue" is simply being polemic, and quite frankly, a bit presumptuous.

The general point of my post was that many of the Best Buy employees are naive and uninformed/misinformed at best, and in some cases even disingenuous to the point of being misleading. If your experiences are different, than consider yourself lucky.
kirth is offline  
post #34 of 109 Old 04-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
A&M 350Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirth View Post


I think you mean to say that the point is "moot" rather than "mute." You are the first person I have ever heard say that any of Best Buy's cables were reasonably priced.

I appreciate the fact that you shop at Best Buy, I shop there quite frequently myself out of necessity. But to state that I am merely "bashing " Best Buy because to do so is "in vogue" is simply being polemic, and quite frankly, a bit presumptuous.

The general point of my post was that many of the Best Buy employees are naive and uninformed/misinformed at best, and in some cases even disingenuous to the point of being misleading. If your experiences are different, than consider yourself lucky.

Reasonably priced is relative. I find the audiosource cables are high quality and reasonable in comparison to "high end" brands the local stores sell like kimber. Granted they are much more expensive than monoprice, and may not provide any true benefit in the digital realm though analog performance is clearly better.

Not really presumptuous. Anytime the word best buy or bose comes up around here you can guess what will follow.

Yes, their employs are often misinformed and may be misleading. Guess what? So are many local stores! From telling me the jvc x3 is better than the rs40 to onkyo is too "laid back", i have heard garbage all around! In fact, i find it rare to find an informed salesmen in any industry. I drove a cts-v yesterday and was told by the salesmen it was faster than the gt-r and that bmw did not include scheduled service on the m3!

And thanks for pointing out the typo, though i think the point was clear.
A&M 350Z is offline  
post #35 of 109 Old 04-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Member
 
kirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It would appear that you are shopping in the wrong places for both your electronics AND your automobiles.

j/k
kirth is offline  
post #36 of 109 Old 04-07-2011, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RobLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CVG
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I do a lot of shopping at BB and have never had a problem they wouldn't bend over backwards to resolve. Over the past twenty years I've bought six TV's and three receivers there, some speakers and car audio, a washer and dryer, computer components and accessories, as well as countless DVD's and Blu-rays.

I am a Silver Rewards member and so get free shipping on anything I buy online. They have five stores within twenty minutes of either home or work. I stop in and browse discounted Blu-rays, mostly for $5-12. When I buy something there I have researched the product, I know what I want, and their price is comparable to the best price online. I also buy a lot from Amazon and NewEgg and sometimes Buy.com. I research prices and usually (but not always) get the best price. Convenience is also very important to me.

You can't just walk into BB and expect they're going to have the best price. You also cannot assume that the salesperson will know what you want. I rarely ever buy cables or accessories there unless absolutely necessary. Once I bought an open box item that was missing the remote and had obviously been registered by someone else. I returned it and they gave me a new, unopened one for the same price, plus a $50 gift card for my inconvenience.

The only problem I can see is, how can they continue to afford to do all this? I am glad to give them my business, but sometimes feel that I take advantage of them. Maybe some of you have had a bad experience with them, or maybe you just feel good bashing one of the big guys. But I have no problems with them and will gladly continue to shop there.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
RobLee is offline  
post #37 of 109 Old 04-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Member
 
kirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
I do a lot of shopping at BB and have never had a problem they wouldn't bend over backwards to resolve. Over the past twenty years I've bought six TV's and three receivers there, some speakers and car audio, a washer and dryer, computer components and accessories, as well as countless DVD's and Blu-rays.

I am a Silver Rewards member and so get free shipping on anything I buy online. They have five stores within twenty minutes of either home or work. I stop in and browse discounted Blu-rays, mostly for $5-12. When I buy something there I have researched the product, I know what I want, and their price is comparable to the best price online. I also buy a lot from Amazon and NewEgg and sometimes Buy.com. I research prices and usually (but not always) get the best price. Convenience is also very important to me.

You can't just walk into BB and expect they're going to have the best pric7e. You also cannot assume that the salesperson will know what you want. I rarely ever buy cables or accessories there unless absolutely necessary. Once I bought an open box item that was missing the remote and had obviously been registered by someone else. I returned it and they gave me a new, unopened one for the same price, plus a $50 gift card for my inconvenience.

The only problem I can see is, how can they continue to afford to do all this? I am glad to give them my business, but sometimes feel that I take advantage of them. Maybe some of you have had a bad experience with them, or maybe you just feel good bashing one of the big guys. But I have no problems with them and will gladly continue to shop there.
I've never had a "bad" experience with Best Buy. All of my experiences with them have been mediocre. Their employees are helpful but not particularly knowledgeable, and their prices are high. As others have noted, it is useful to check out products in person and buy elsewhere, when practical. Certainly, there is no need to question one's motives. I get absolutely no enjoyment from "bashing one of the big guys."

FWIW, I spent over $20,000 at Best Buy last year. I also purchased TV's from Crutchfield and Cleveland Plasma. Do you really feel like you are taking advantage of Best Buy? That just seems a little over the top.
kirth is offline  
post #38 of 109 Old 04-07-2011, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RobLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CVG
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Read my second and third paragraph and don't just focus on the fourth.
If you don't know how to shop there then just don't.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
RobLee is offline  
post #39 of 109 Old 04-07-2011, 11:38 PM
 
Seanbenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirth
Things I have learned from the knowledgeable people who work at Best Buy:

1) Only buy Samsung TV's. No other TV can compare in way way, regardless of the model.

2) Super expensive gold-plated digital cables make music sound richer and fuller than less expensive cables.

3) Bose sets the standard for audio.

4) My 2GB USB flash drive needs a support plan.

Good times.
Ha ha 1,2,3 are great!!!

Where's all the Best Buy suits? They need to be reading this stuff. Well besides the people who sound like their sucking a chub at Best Buy, or working for them.
Seanbenn is offline  
post #40 of 109 Old 04-08-2011, 12:40 AM
 
HiFiFun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
Read my second and third paragraph and don't just focus on the fourth.
If you don't know how to shop there then just don't.
Have you ever returned anything for any reason?
Do you know that your purchases and returns are secretly entered into a third party database (Retail Equation) for use by other stores?
Did you know that your name and email address that were given by BB to another third party (Epsilon) were recently stolen?
Do you like targeted advertising?
Do you like being subjected to phishing email attacks?
As a special Silver Rewards member did they spam you terribly this past Christmas season? Is this your "reward"?
Have you even read the fine print/exclusions for their 10% off coupons? Or had the cashier say you can't use it?
Are there limitations to the Reward Zone credits? Did they cut the points earned in half?
Are there good buys in their weekly advertisements?

What are the ways to mitigate these issues?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing
HiFiFun is offline  
post #41 of 109 Old 04-08-2011, 01:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
Kingcarcas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: East Los Angeles
Posts: 753
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Yes less competition means bad news for the consumer, but i know i'm not the only one here who hopes they crashed and burned.
+1 They won't let you return anything "Take it up with the manfr."
Top of the line models with price gouging - Low end Sylvania or Syntax or whatever the hell, no in between...
Only a few times have i had to go with there with family and i cringe, try to find them a decent deal.
To the point where if i know my dad will be getting the itch to buy ____ i go ahead and order it myself online so he won't get gouged for an inferior product.
I guess some people want to go into a store and see something, buy it, take it home, they don't want to shop online even if it means getting less for more.
All i say is "well you could have had ___ on Amazon for ____" and that's that because they are just stubborn.

Not to mention the guy who was trying to tell us cable was better than D* and that a Joe blow like me couldn't decently calibrate a plasma.....

Why is it you can find $5 DVDs at Target and $10 BDs, but hell would have to freeze over to find that at BB.

Kingcarcas is online now  
post #42 of 109 Old 04-08-2011, 05:23 AM
Senior Member
 
guvadc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post
Have you ever returned anything for any reason?
Do you know that your purchases and returns are secretly entered into a third party database (Retail Equation) for use by other stores?
Did you know that your name and email address that were given by BB to another third party (Epsilon) were recently stolen?
Do you like targeted advertising?
Do you like being subjected to phishing email attacks?
As a special Silver Rewards member did they spam you terribly this past Christmas season? Is this your "reward"?
Have you even read the fine print/exclusions for their 10% off coupons? Or had the cashier say you can't use it?
Are there limitations to the Reward Zone credits? Did they cut the points earned in half?
Are there good buys in their weekly advertisements?

What are the ways to mitigate these issues?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing

There is truth to everything in your post. You also posted easrlier about the drivers licencse thing and I find them to be way out of line on this. I went in to get a price match on Crysis 2 that I purchased 5 day's prior to it being in the weekly add for 10 dollars cheaper than for what paid and guess what? They required my drivers license for a price match.

In the end though, I really don't want to see all the big box electronic stores to go. I do like browsing at physical in the stores when I shop.
guvadc is offline  
post #43 of 109 Old 04-08-2011, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
A&M 350Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have you ever returned anything for any reason? Yes, never had to use my DL, just reward zone card.

Do you know that your purchases and returns are secretly entered into a third party database (Retail Equation) for use by other stores? And at just about every other national retailer!

Did you know that your name and email address that were given by BB to another third party (Epsilon) were recently stolen? Not BB fault, Epsilons fault. Amazon is lucky, just give it some time. Again, use your junk email!!!

Do you like targeted advertising? Don't care.

Do you like being subjected to phishing email attacks? Junk email account. Are you listening?

As a special Silver Rewards member did they spam you terribly this past Christmas season? Is this your "reward"? Yes, I enjoyed the 20% coupons. Used it on a sonos zoneplayer. Cheaper than price on amazon or fleabay.

Have you even read the fine print/exclusions for their 10% off coupons? Or had the cashier say you can't use it? Yes, not their fault though. That is the manufacturers.

Are there limitations to the Reward Zone credits? Did they cut the points earned in half? Yes. No never cut my points in half in the last decade.

Are there good buys in their weekly advertisements? Not usually, but sometimes.
A&M 350Z is offline  
post #44 of 109 Old 04-08-2011, 09:36 AM
 
HiFiFun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M 350Z View Post

Have you ever returned anything for any reason? Yes, never had to use my DL, just reward zone card.

Do you know that your purchases and returns are secretly entered into a third party database (Retail Equation) for use by other stores? And at just about every other national retailer!

Best Buy's NEW Return Policy:

"Original Receipt and Valid Photo ID

Bring the original receipt as well as your valid photo ID for all exchanges, returns, price matches and warranty repair services. Best Buy accepts the following forms of photo identification:

* U.S., Canadian or Mexican driver's license
* U.S. state ID
* Canadian province ID
* U.S. military ID
* Passport

We electronically secure your information (with Retail Equation) solely for the purpose of returns management, in accordance with state and federal laws regarding consumer privacy."

That "everyone is doing it!" is not an excuse for tracking purchases. But if they are, then where is the secret list?
The Retail Equation has already changed its name once. If some other company buys them then all existing promises mean nothing. Hello?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Help-Top...at204400050028
HiFiFun is offline  
post #45 of 109 Old 04-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
A&M 350Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, great. Maybe i am naive but i could really care less if someone tracks my returns. I do not abuse return policies. Walmart, hd, lowes have been doing this for years. My returns really are not that interesting! Maybe my life is more mundane than you guys. The state and feds have far more important info about me that may or may not be any safer.
A&M 350Z is offline  
post #46 of 109 Old 04-09-2011, 06:05 AM
 
HiFiFun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M 350Z View Post

Ok, great. Maybe i am naive but i could really care less if someone tracks my returns. I do not abuse return policies. Walmart, hd, lowes have been doing this for years. My returns really are not that interesting! Maybe my life is more mundane than you guys. The state and feds have far more important info about me that may or may not be any safer.

I admire you for responding. Remember purchases are tracked too. Otherwise Retail Equation cannot make an instantaneous decision to convey to the cashier.
Maybe I'm naive but I've noticed the heat being turned-up, as this is the start of a system where consumers can neither buy nor sell without permission.
Remember income tax was promised to only to tax the top 1% rich. Now this purchase tracking system is promised to effect only the 1% bottom.
Social security numbers were promised not to be used for identification. Yet I still have my original card which states that fact in red.

As an engineer its obvious that this new tracking system will get progressively more restrictive on returns until the retailers profits decrease. This industry model assumes naive customers.

But what will occur if enlightened consumers realize that information such as their name, address, drivers license, phone number, email address, credit card numbers, credit bureau info, and purchases are stored in these instant access databases? Would these databases be a high value target for hackers?
Knowing these risks will the informed consumer take their business elsewhere?
This is why Amazon and AVS have earned my trust and business. Any security breaches, selling personally identifiable info to third parties, or driver license demands would put them in the doggy house too.
HiFiFun is offline  
post #47 of 109 Old 04-09-2011, 07:25 AM
Member
 
kirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M 350Z View Post

Ok, great. Maybe i am naive but i could really care less if someone tracks my returns. I do not abuse return policies. Walmart, hd, lowes have been doing this for years. My returns really are not that interesting! Maybe my life is more mundane than you guys. The state and feds have far more important info about me that may or may not be any safer.

You mean, you couldn't care less. Really, though, why are you such an apologist for Best Buy?
kirth is offline  
post #48 of 109 Old 04-09-2011, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RobLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CVG
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

Best Buy's NEW Return Policy:
"Original Receipt and Valid Photo ID Bring the original receipt as well as your valid photo ID for all exchanges, returns, price matches and warranty repair services.

It's probably been over a year since I've had to return anything to BB, so if this is a new policy then it's no surprise if I've never seen it before. OTOH, if they're capturing as much information as you believe, then perhaps a simple scan of the barcode on my receipt brings up only a positive review. These are not the Droids you're looking for.

Still, I understand your apprehensiveness regarding the potential intrusion of privacy. I'm sure this measure has been taken by them as well as other retailers, as a protective measure and is only necessitated by the existence of so many unscrupulous people who would try to cheat otherwise legitimate business.

If they ask for my DL then it wouldn't bother me at all. Where I work we are required to validate photo ID for any and all credit card transactions. Unfortunately it has become a matter of necessity of doing business today. If it really bothers you then you can always move to some mountaintop in North Dakota and write your manifestos

Personally what bothers me more is that my doctors' offices have my SSN on every piece of paper. The staff there are not professional nurses, but clerical personnel and probably are not entirely conscientious about what goes in the file and what goes in the trash.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
RobLee is offline  
post #49 of 109 Old 04-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
Hunter844's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cabot, AR
Posts: 724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I was young and dumb I shopped Best Buy like there was no tomorrow...as I got older...my taste for better products grew larger and larger and my awareness of the cost savings of buying from online retailers or rather internet direct companies increased dramatically.

My last major purchase from Best Buy was my current 42'' LG LCD...I knew then I could have got a similar product online cheaper but that was a threshold I didn't want to cross. On an item that at the time cost $1800 I wanted the ability to have a face to face with someone should my satisfaction be less than desirable. Since then I have traversed Best Buy's doors only a few times on average of about one maybe twice a year.

For giggles I tabbed over to Best Buy's website while writing this...it's still a joke...did it change already? I can't tell.
Hunter844 is offline  
post #50 of 109 Old 04-09-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RobLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CVG
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ga View Post

Believe me... Life would be worse for most of us if BB goes like the old circuit city.

Amen! I'd hate for Target to become the only place you can audition a TV.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
RobLee is offline  
post #51 of 109 Old 04-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Newbie
 
rashomon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirth View Post


4) My 2GB USB flash drive needs a support plan..

My support plan needs a support plan.
rashomon is offline  
post #52 of 109 Old 04-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Member
 
kirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post

Where I work we are required to validate photo ID for any and all credit card transactions.

This is actually a violation of your store's merchant agreement with the credit card companies. As long as the card is signed, a store is not permitted to check ID as a condition of purchase, only compare the signature on the card with signature on the receipt. Look it up if you don't believe me. Where I live, a well-known electronics store got placed on probationary status with VISA over that very practice.

Straight from VISA:

"Although Visa rules do not preclude merchants from asking for cardholder ID, merchants cannot make an ID a condition of acceptance. Therefore, merchants cannot refuse to complete a purchase transaction because a cardholder refuses to provide ID. Visa believes merchants should not ask for ID as part of their regular card acceptance procedures. Laws in several states also make it illegal for merchants to write a cardholder's personal information, such as an address or phone number, on a sales receipt."
kirth is offline  
post #53 of 109 Old 04-09-2011, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RobLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CVG
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Yeah, we've had ppl come in and say they work for Master Card and would report us. Anyway, it's out of my hands. My boss says it's a directive from the finance dept, and, well, all I can do is what they say. I'm not going to lose my job by standing on my principles and say "I refuse to card anyone!"

I should add, many people actually thank us for verifying that the card is actually theirs!

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
RobLee is offline  
post #54 of 109 Old 04-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Member
 
steve7100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think the Best Buy email/personal id stuff is commonplace today. For example - this happens every year with at least one of my cards. In fact, I have had two cards possibly compromised in the past year, one being by monoprice. With digital information being collected by EVERY merchant, all of my info is available to someone with the know how to get it.

Saying that, identity fraud happens a lot less than the media would like us to believe.
steve7100 is offline  
post #55 of 109 Old 04-09-2011, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eldithomaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: So. California
Posts: 1,954
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post

Our local bestbuy is HUGE, and 40% of the store is dvd's and cd's. BOTH mediums that are completely outdated. Who buys cd's anymore?

Oh Verge2:

I do.

I believe in quality not download speeds. But I only buy them on sale for $11.99 or less.

CDs are not dead. Those who don't appreciate quality or can't afford it shop for DVDs and their $1.29 downloads from the Apple Store or Amazon etc.

And I don't shop in Best Buy unless I have a 10% off coupon, and the product is normally the same price as Amazon or better - I have to cover the lovely 8.75% sales tax in good old failifornia.

Oh and my money is on the internet. Looks like Target and Wally World, Costco and Sam's Club may soon be the only "retailers" to speak off for B&M purchases. The Joe and Jane Six-pack-world is either too broke or just too busy to care about quality.

Isn't it time someone promoted quality as value?
eldithomaso is offline  
post #56 of 109 Old 04-09-2011, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
agogley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm not sure how Best Buy is going to survive by making their stores smaller and going more with online sales.

#1) - Best Buy exists because they provide two things. First they provide immediate gratification to somebody who wants something or merely sees something in the store. As soon as I have to go online to get it, well now I'm thinking about my purchase more and most certainly engaging in price comparison. Second, other people like myself, sometimes buy at Best Buy because it's easy and fast to make returns. With a reduced footprint, I don't see how that will be possible.

#2) They have yet to have competitive online pricing. This is in part, because they have to collect sales tax which is terribly unfair to them, but nonetheless a major pricing disadvantage. But sales tax aside, I personally don't evaluate a the price solely by the tax advantage. Best Buy just doesn't have competitive pricing. For example, BR's are always cheaper than Best Buy's.

#3) I share many concerns with HiFi about information collection and use. However, I'm not totally against it and you'll have many of the same issues with online retailers, especially if you are simply going to go with the lowest priced vendor.

#4) One of the major problems I see with the B&M is that they've developed into a means to get sell a lot of low end electronics. Salesreps tend to be younger workers who aren't informed, and if they are, don't have any knowledge besides what I could read on this forum (i.e., no technical training, no info from brand reps, no practical experience). There is zero push for innovative new products and even their Magnolia section underperforms as a "showroom." And most of the products that are stacked up everywhere or listed in sales are the low end variety that an informed buyer is usually not looking for.

#5) They simply are using their buying power to its fullest potential. For example, many video game makers have been offering different preorder benefits on games depending on where you buy the game. Best Buy should be pushing to get the best of the best due to how many games they sell.

#6) Why should I visit Best Buy instead of buying stuff at Target? Especially for things such as BR/DVDs? If Best Buy can't answer this question then they're going to lose sales.
agogley is offline  
post #57 of 109 Old 04-09-2011, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
agogley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso View Post

Oh Verge2:

I do.

I believe in quality not download speeds. But I only buy them on sale for $11.99 or less.

CDs are not dead. Those who don't appreciate quality or can't afford it shop for DVDs and their $1.29 downloads from the Apple Store or Amazon etc.

And I don't shop in Best Buy unless I have a 10% off coupon, and the product is normally the same price as Amazon or better - I have to cover the lovely 8.75% sales tax in good old failifornia.

Oh and my money is on the internet. Looks like Target and Wally World, Costco and Sam's Club may soon be the only "retailers" to speak off for B&M purchases. The Joe and Jane Six-pack-world is either too broke or just too busy to care about quality.

All due respect, but CDs may have better quality but most people now have gone to digital (and the quality is the same on your IPod). CDs just aren't a major draw into retail stores as they once were and have really developed into a niche market (like antique furniture).
agogley is offline  
post #58 of 109 Old 04-09-2011, 05:35 PM
 
Seanbenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso View Post


Oh Verge2:

I do.

I believe in quality not download speeds. But I only buy them on sale for $11.99 or less.

CDs are not dead. Those who don't appreciate quality or can't afford it shop for DVDs and their $1.29 downloads from the Apple Store or Amazon etc.

And I don't shop in Best Buy unless I have a 10% off coupon, and the product is normally the same price as Amazon or better - I have to cover the lovely 8.75% sales tax in good old failifornia.

Oh and my money is on the internet. Looks like Target and Wally World, Costco and Sam's Club may soon be the only "retailers" to speak off for B&M purchases. The Joe and Jane Six-pack-world is either too broke or just too busy to care about quality.

Lol our sales tax is 9.6% I know how you feel.
Seanbenn is offline  
post #59 of 109 Old 04-10-2011, 05:00 AM
 
HiFiFun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirth View Post

This is actually a violation of your store's merchant agreement with the credit card companies. As long as the card is signed, a store is not permitted to check ID as a condition of purchase, only compare the signature on the card with signature on the receipt. Look it up if you don't believe me. Where I live, a well-known electronics store got placed on probationary status with VISA over that very practice.

Straight from VISA:
"Although Visa rules do not preclude merchants from asking for cardholder ID, merchants cannot make an ID a condition of acceptance. Therefore, merchants cannot refuse to complete a purchase transaction because a cardholder refuses to provide ID. Visa believes merchants should not ask for ID as part of their regular card acceptance procedures. Laws in several states also make it illegal for merchants to write a cardholder's personal information, such as an address or phone number, on a sales receipt."

Wonderful post.
Credit cards are issued to you using THEIR money to purchase merchandise. Signing the credit card is in essence signing a contract. If a thief steals your card and sees that you wrote "see id" they are just going to go online where no ID at all is required. Just the sign the card and don't volunteer personal information by assuming the clerk is honest.

Here is what Visa recommends:
"How can I reduce my risk of identity theft?
There are a few basic practices you should follow to increase your card safety.
• Monitor your credit card and account statements online on a weekly basis.
• Report lost or stolen cards immediately and cancel all inactive accounts. When using your card at checkout, do not volunteer any personal information. And this is where Best Buy crosses the line for customers who have a valid receipt.

What to watch for at retail stores
No matter how many times you’ve visited the same mall, you should still be careful when shopping at retail locations, so keep these tips in mind the next time you’re at the point of purchase.
• Do business with companies whose reputation and integrity are already familiar to you. If you feel pressured into acting before you’re ready to buy, trust your common sense and take your time.
Find out the store’s return and exchange policy before you hand over your Visa card. If you have questions that the sales staff can’t answer, consider holding off until you have all the information you need to make an informed purchase. "
So this is where Best Buy falls completely short: trust, integrity and reputation. Even store managers plead ignorance. This new tracking system assumes you are committing fraudulent acts by returning anything for any reason, and then, most importantly tracking purchases across other secretly participating retailers.

If this trend continues I will go back to cash purchases, as all the original benefits and conveniences of charging are rapidly disappearing.
HiFiFun is offline  
post #60 of 109 Old 04-10-2011, 05:23 AM
 
HiFiFun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I was at a warehouse club yesterday and saw a portable 7" Vizio TV at a good price. The display sign said "Last One". We took the empty card to the cashier and explained that if there was one last NEW sealed product left, then we would buy it. She said that they had one more left and someone would bring it out. So we paid for it.
A more experienced lady came back a few minutes later with the empty card and explained that it was actually the display item that was for sale. I explained that the cashier gave us incorrect information and suggested that the sign should have stated "Display for Sale".
No problems, and within a minute she issued a credit back to our card. In this case the incident was quickly forgotten.

But what would have occurred with the new Best Buy/Retail Equation tracking system? I, the innocent customer would have automatically been judged as "guilty", and created a permanent negative record to haunt me for the rest of my life.
HiFiFun is offline  
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off