Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 109 Old 05-26-2011, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

I did not pay attention to the whole episode but justice was served as Patrica Heaton was not able to watch the wedding after all. Her eyes were welded shut!!
Turns out the boy auditioning 3D TV with glasses before her had pink eye.

Haha. I loved that episode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 109 Old 06-09-2011, 04:59 AM

Liked: 17
Now its Facebook playing stupid in scanning peoples faces then storing and matching them in a database. There is nothing to stop Best Buy or Home Depot from matching faces with their new checkout cameras as consumers voluntarily gave their information.

Notice how difficult Facebook makes it to turn off scanning your photos (when the default setting should be disabled):
"For users uncomfortable with the setting, disabling the feature is the way to go. Users can disable facial recognition by going to privacy settings, clicking "Customize settings," and going to "Things others share." There, they will find the "Suggest photos of me to friends. When photos look like me, suggest my name" option, where they can click "Edit settings" and turn it from "Enabled" to "Disabled."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_872983.html
post #93 of 109 Old 06-21-2011, 07:55 PM

Only good electronics story left is Fry's, sort of sad, I liked not having to wait for shipping
post #94 of 109 Old 07-10-2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Boo View Post

Only good electronics story left is Fry's, sort of sad, I liked not having to wait for shipping

I like Fry's, in many ways its always been better than Best Buy, but there are a lot fewer Fry's, and even Fry's isn't without its set of problems.

In the end, the consumer kind of gets what they pay for. If I find an item at a local dealer, and their price is reasonable, I'll generally buy it there. Even if it's a bit higher $-wise, I benefited by being able to see it, returns are easier, etc. If I end up buying through the internet instead, it's generally because I could not find it locally in stock, the price differential was too much in the internet's favor, or frankly, I couldn't be bothered to go to the store. There's a lot of things where I know what I want to buy, and it's not worth the trouble to run it down locally (even with shoplocal.com, and google shopper, which at least try), I just run it through the price scan web-sites and go. Delivered to my door is so much easier and simpler. I can sympathize with Best Buy's situation, they're losing sales to Amazon and Newegg, and it's tough to retain skilled labor at reasonable rates so that it does not jack up your prices. But the store and when it's available, trained personnel, are your advantages over Amazon, et al. They quite frankly, have better web-sites, more info, easier to find, higher quality user feedback, etc., etc. If you reduce the store size and personnel +training, I'm less likely go. In a way, the demise of Circuit City and Computerland (retail), has maybe caused Best Buy to lose focus on beating the local bricks & mortar competition. The gap between a Best Buy and say Walmart or Sears, Costco or Sams, is maybe not what it needs to be. The market segment for Best Buy is the one-stop place for electronics, phones, media, and if Best Buy ceases to be that go-to place locally, it will be out of business pretty quickly.

Paul Jones
post #95 of 109 Old 07-10-2011, 07:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwjone1 View Post

....The gap between a Best Buy and say Walmart or Sears, Costco or Sams, is maybe not what it needs to be. The market segment for Best Buy is the one-stop place for electronics, phones, media, and if Best Buy ceases to be that go-to place locally, it will be out of business pretty quickly.

I agree
post #96 of 109 Old 07-28-2011, 01:29 PM

They run a slimey operation. Hard selling crappy overpriced cables and trying to con people into BB credit cards. The sales people are about as uneducated as you can get (at least on electronics...)

BOOOOOOOOO Best Buy.
post #97 of 109 Old 07-30-2011, 12:24 PM

May be a good move for Best Buy. I go to Best Buy to get some hands on experience with electronics and then order those electronics from newegg.
post #98 of 109 Old 08-03-2011, 08:25 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969iggy View Post

trying to con people into BB credit cards. The sales people are about as uneducated as you can get (at least on electronics...)

BOOOOOOOOO Best Buy.

ReaLly 36 months no interest is coning people into cc? you can say no...Not all are uneducated sales people.. The mag guys know about the product they sell. they do go to training and they are taught by the reps...

FRYS SUCKS GO TALK TO SOMEONE WHO CANT EVEN SPEAK ENGLISH AND ARE PROBABLY ILLEAGAL AND THEY SELL USED PRODUCT AS NEW...
post #99 of 109 Old 08-28-2011, 04:42 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

It's a race for your money. The world is saturated with advertisements so companies are constantly looking for a way to get to you more personally. Along comes data tracking.

I don't like it, but I understand it.

Here is the final decision Steve Jobs made before resigning in receding the method of how he made his fortune: by tracking consumers without their consent or knowledge. Amazingly this world looks up to him.
http://www.informationweek.com/news/...vacy/231500539

Notice that the historic event was hardly covered in the press. Why because this is how they make their money too!
post #100 of 109 Old 09-16-2011, 06:04 AM

I prefer shopping at my local Best Buy's than any other store or online. First and foremost because of their return policy. I have 45 days (Reward Zone Premier Silver) and it's hassle free. I've returned more TV's than I've actually owned no problem and anything from media to hard drives. The other reason is price matching other stores so I never pay full retail for anything. I guess my local stores are more accommodating than most.
post #101 of 109 Old 09-16-2011, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I hope they stay open. I love to go browse the latest gadgets before I buy them at Amazon! Especially if they have a demo of the next greatest videogame release. Shoot, if they have a Kinect demo, what better way to kill 45 minutes easy with the kids.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #102 of 109 Old 09-17-2011, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur View Post

I hate Best Buy, and will bore you with the details if requested. Their arrogance regarding returns is the main reason. I for one, cannot wait to see them eat a big ole piece of **** pie, just like Blockbuster!!!

Power to the people

BB was expecting thousands lined up for Black Friday 2010 but this year The Rus went to Target and folks from Lame Buy were pissed that since I gave up my first place in line at Worst Buy that many, many Worst Buy BF shoppers also went to Target!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGt466cqO90

DIY beats store purchased.
post #103 of 109 Old 09-17-2011, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirth View Post

Things I have learned from the knowledgeable people who work at Best Buy:

1) Only buy Samsung TV's. No other TV can compare in way way, regardless of the model.

2) Super expensive gold-plated digital cables make music sound richer and fuller than less expensive cables.

3) Bose sets the standard for audio.

4) My 2GB USB flash drive needs a support plan.

Good times.

At my local Lame Buy my 1GB sd card needs a support plan, my Linux! running netbook needs an antivirus, Sony Xplode car speakers are good and a HTIB "system" is all that I need and support plan sold separately.

ROFL!!!

DIY beats store purchased.
post #104 of 109 Old 06-19-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Awesome, just lay more people off so they can't afford to buy anything, what a great concept. Frankly I think its time to tax the crap out of the online stores, so maybe people might get off there (|)s and actually go see an hear the item
they are buying. Just an opinion of course.
post #105 of 109 Old 08-03-2012, 03:19 AM

I concur with your remarks on employees being naive. I find that they do know where things are, but surely are not savy with how they can be used. My biggest problem is with on-line sign in. I have had 5-6 days of anxiety due to not being able to log in and purchase things I need to repair and update mine and my friends/relatives computers. Here is my most recent letter of complaint to the customer care division.

I am getting a bit miffed. If I have to wait 72 hours for a reply to a problem that has been going on 5 days with no resolution from conversations with 3-4 bestbuy agents, I have a right to be upset. I talked with ashby via chat, priscilla via e-mail and with Joshlin via phone. Joshlin said she would upgrade my problem to the tech staff, whoever they are. She took my cellphone number and said if need be, the tech staff would call me. That was 3 days ago, and I still have a in-sign problem with bestbuy online. It doesn't recognize my known password and bestbuy has NOT sent me a reset password link. I get e-mail from bestbuy as the attached reply from Delvis is proof e-mail comes to me from Bestbuy.

I think it is about time for me to change business dealings. Bestbuy obviously is not interested in servicing a consumer who spends a mere $2500+ a year with them and has the silver reward zone card.

Are you forcing me to go to Circuit City?

Are you going to call me within 24 hours at ###-###-#### or lose a customer who will spread this news, and I have many friends who depend on my computer prowlness to convince.

We'll see the response I get when they get this letter. I'll keep you informed. Beefing Up Web? Am wondering how they will do on that. My problem doesn't make that look possible.
post #106 of 109 Old 08-03-2012, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzam1942 View Post

Are you forcing me to go to Circuit City?

You do realize that no brick and mortar CC stores exist anymore, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by adzam1942 View Post

I concur with your remarks on employees being naive. I find that they do know where things are, but surely are not savy with how they can be used.

Welcome to the new millennium. Prior to the mid 2000s electronic store salespeople worked on commission and there was still a margin on the devices. If they were good at their jobs then they could afford some of the items they sold, have them in their homes, and thus learn the everyday use of said items. Now it's more of a part-time jobs staffed by youngsters fresh out of high school who can't afford most of what they're trying to sell. Joe and Jane Six-Pack want everything cheap, no concern for anything else. Wish granted.
post #107 of 109 Old 08-03-2012, 06:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Even thirty years ago, when most A/V sales people were on commission, most that I ran into had no clue about what they were selling. They put up a good front to make it seem as if they knew what they were talking about. Of course you sometimes ran into a sales person that really knew what they were talking about and had a lot of correct information to give you. But that was the exception and not the rule. I really see no difference now except that I don't get accosted as soon as I walk into the store like I used to when commission was the norm.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #108 of 109 Old 08-03-2012, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 623
The continued loss of B&M audio/video retailers is a sad time .. soon, I suppose we'll all be forced to buy on line or settle for whatever Walmart has .. and all because we want to save $3.00 ..

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #109 of 109 Old 11-08-2012, 10:26 AM

Very sad. My local Best But employs local people, pays rent to a local developer, and taxes to my town. They fund blood drives and give $5 B.B. cards to tose who donate. They also offer student discounts. But the idiots will still go there check out the stuff for free, get free advise and then walk out and go to Amazon to save $100 on a $1500 tv.
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page