Do you; or would you; use a late night listing mode if you had it? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Do you; or would you; use a late night listing mode if you had it?
Yes - I use, or would use, such a mode 0 0%
No - I would not use such a mode 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 132 Old 04-12-2011, 01:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I unfortunately have to use midnight mode :-( live in an apartment. with a neighbor who has an annoying habit of banging on his ceiling/my floor whenever the sub kicks in.

sound travels sooooo easily in these apartments. i can hear someone two homes down. smh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 132 Old 04-12-2011, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS Notice View Post

With all the features now a days on AV Receivers, TV, Etc, you find a lot of modes they can use for audio. Seeing that our last poll shows most are using standard 5.1 speaker setup, we thought we would ask a question on one mode in particular based on audio.

Do you; or would you; use a late night listing mode if you had it?

(Late Night Mode = Dynamic range control ( or Night mode) enables you to reduce peak volume levels (no loud surprises) while experiencing all the details in the soundtrack, enabling late-night viewing of high- energy surround sound without disturbing others.)

This poll will close on 4/25/11

A lot of receivers already have this(for the past couple years) mode it even says in the users guide it can be used for late night or quiet time listening. Where have you buys been.

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
post #33 of 132 Old 04-12-2011, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

I don't have TV, so it is of no use to me......

Are you serious?

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
post #34 of 132 Old 04-12-2011, 04:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I have a midnight mode but it seems to create a heavier low-end at any volume,also the dynamics of a soundtrack are supposed to suffer.I have used it unknowingly after leaving it on,without really noticing that i had.IMO its another selling point,not necessarily a gimmic.It would be a small asset for extremely low listening volumes,but far from a necessity.As i use a direct stream most of the time,it would be only late at night that i would use it as my neigbour goes out very early in the morning.

"Do your best & don't worry" 

post #35 of 132 Old 04-12-2011, 04:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs View Post

DRC kills the depth of imaging in multichannel music recordings.

Are we talking DRC or late/midnight mode,maybe they have simular effects,im not exactly sure.

"Do your best & don't worry" 

post #36 of 132 Old 04-12-2011, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

I voted yes. I have a 15-month-old who goes to sleep at 8:00pm. I can also see the TV commercial use, though I mute commercials myself. I certainly don't use the late night mode for reference viewing.
post #37 of 132 Old 04-12-2011, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What?!?! Man, I use this all the time!

I have a 21-mth old little girl who's in bed by 8. DRC/night mode is awesome for controlling the peaks and keeping the movie/tv show enjoyable.

When she's awake, or not home, I can play as loud as I want, and I wouldn't consider a late night mode.

I don't understand the "why would I buy all this equipment just to..." types of answers. I'd think we all could appreciate why some people would need it even if we didn't.

Upgraditis Anonymous
post #38 of 132 Old 04-12-2011, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 142
User selectable, variable dynamic range compression is something I've used and enjoyed (judiciously) since the late 1970's, originally via a dbx 117, along with its complimentary expansion capability (in some applications).

It somewhat mimicked the main advantage of the digital technology that was to come almost a decade later, CD, so it gave me a taste for what the future would bring.

Long live dbx!

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #39 of 132 Old 04-12-2011, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Have it, don't use it, no kids, live in a single family home and at my age, I need all the volume I can stand

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #40 of 132 Old 04-12-2011, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In my Onkyo 608 i have the dynamic EQ and vol , so i can really lower volume while keeping the basic sounds at a way lower volume. i have tried and used late night but after a year owning this i realized from this question that i have not checked the late nigt option in 8months

LG42LD550, ONKYO TX SR608, POLK M70s 7.1POLK 10"SUB, LG BD570, PINNACLE USB PVR-HD. GA990FXA UD3, SAPPHIRE HD 7950 OC 3Gb GDDR5, AMD FX-8150BE@4.0, 16Gb GSKILL DDR3 1600, SSD: CRUCIAL M4 128Gb, HDD: 3- 1TB SPINPOINT F3, WD4GB MY BOOK DUO LAN CLOUD , CISCO E3200, TP LINK 8PORT SWITCH; CISCO DOCS3.0
post #41 of 132 Old 04-12-2011, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I can understand why other people use it, but I have never used it and probably never will - I live in a house with good separation from neighbors, and I live (mostly ) alone.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #42 of 132 Old 04-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If they made a set of decent wireless headphones at a decent price, then this feature would not be needed. Have you ever priced wireless headphones? Holy moly.
post #43 of 132 Old 04-12-2011, 10:35 AM

Another apartment dweller here with thin walls and thin-skinned neighbors who love to bang on my ceiling if the sound gets too loud. After 8:00 PM, "Night Cinema" is the default listening mode on my Yamaha HTR. Without it, I would constantly be adjusting the volume on my receiver which would severely detract from my movie viewing experience. And, to tell the truth, I have come to prefer this mode as I get annoyed myself at sudden peaks in volume levels that have me jumping out of my chair for the remote.
post #44 of 132 Old 04-12-2011, 11:09 AM

Luckily, I don't usually need to worry about this. However, in the few times where I have to watch my sound output, I usually just throw on a decent pair of headphones instead. I can see how it would be useful to many people though.
post #45 of 132 Old 04-12-2011, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
My Denon has this feature but I won't use it - I simply turn the volume down if necessary.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #46 of 132 Old 04-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Uh, tricky question... I sort of have it. And I would use it, but I prefer to have my PS3 do the decoding, which means the nighttime mode on my Onkyo receiver isn't an option and it doesn't even work with DTS (maybe it's just DTS MA... not sure.) Also, my walls are thick enough to where I don't really worry about bothering the neighbors (thank you concrete walls from the 30s) if I knock the volume down a bit. I don't listen that loud anyways... though I sure would if I WEREN'T in an apartment. Looking forward to the days of homeowning, huge DIY subs and reference levels once again. Well... not really looking forward to the homeowning part
post #47 of 132 Old 04-12-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post

Looking forward to the days of homeowning, huge DIY subs and reference levels once again. Well... not really looking forward to the homeowning part

Yeah You are ! owning a home means Screw the neighbors !

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #48 of 132 Old 04-12-2011, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I don't have it but if I did I might start watching The Tonight Show again. I have to constantly adjust the volume to make it bearable.
post #49 of 132 Old 04-12-2011, 04:26 PM

Never, i didn't spend thousands of dollars on a sound system not to use it. Our house is large enough that other than possibly my two subs the volume shouldn't bother anyone.
post #50 of 132 Old 04-12-2011, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Have it on my Pioneer VSX -520-K but I have yet to use it. The house isn't attached to anyone else and I just turn the volume down to 40 or the high 30's if the little lady goes to bed.

Panasonic P60U54
Pioneer VSX-1122 K
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PC12 Plus, PC Ultra (12")
PS3, PS2
post #51 of 132 Old 04-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
My receiver has it, but I never use it.
post #52 of 132 Old 04-12-2011, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I use it for when the wife goes to bed. Using it with The Pacific the other night, clear voices, but the actions scenes were obviously muted to the extent where I knew it wouldnt be an issue. Great feature. Definately wouldnt dream of using it during the daytime though
post #53 of 132 Old 04-12-2011, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyscout43 View Post

why would I use a night mode when my gear, the many gear I have has plenty of amp power. I have tons of amps rating from 200 wpc and higher and sunfire receiver, the latest TGR 401 that rates 200 wpc on all 7 channels and my least power is my already powerful pioneer elite sc 37 at 140 wpc which is already plenty of juice. I have emotiva amps, carver amps, and my electrostats and planars LOVE plenty of JUICE just to drive them, so MIDNIGHT mode is for cheap receivers or cheap systems and not for the BIG BOYS. why have a krell,mcintosh, b&k, parsound, rotel,adcom,outlaw,levinson and the like just to put your system on MIDNIGHT MODE? You won't find midnight mode in high end systems especially dedicated STEREO AUDIOPHILE systems. Definitely not on my many systems. The new sunfire subs and especially the flagship subs of paradigm is ear splitting LAW BREAKING SPL's and wattage that was designed for midnight modes.

Sorry, but WTF are you talking about? (other than bragging by putting your equipment list here)

The very last sentence you wrote clearly indicates that you don't know what midnight mode is.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #54 of 132 Old 04-12-2011, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post

A lot of receivers already have this(for the past couple years) mode it even says in the users guide it can be used for late night or quiet time listening. Where have you buys been.

my (now sold) Pioneer Elite VSX-24TX (circa 1998?) have this feature. This feature have been around for AT LEAST a decade!!

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #55 of 132 Old 04-12-2011, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Sorry, but WTF are you talking about? (other than bragging by putting your equipment list here)

The very last sentence you wrote clearly indicates that you don't know what midnight mode is.

He's a man who loves POWER that's all ...

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #56 of 132 Old 04-13-2011, 12:12 AM

Location: Steps from the beach in Margaritaville (a state of mind between Inebriation and Sahuarita), AZ
When I was living in a condo with neighbors above, below and on two sides, this was an essential feature and a key factor in my buying decision. Now that I'm living in a house again, I wouldn't even think of using it unless circumstances dictated it.
post #57 of 132 Old 04-13-2011, 06:00 AM

I use it, but I can't tell if it makes that much difference. I'll use anything to placate my girlfriend's hyper-sensitive ears and need for total control over her sleep environment. Me? I taught myself to go to sleep listening to Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music while laying on a hard floor.
post #58 of 132 Old 04-13-2011, 06:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

I voted no but I guess I could see a use for it. Personally though, I don't need it and don't have it on any of my equipment.
post #59 of 132 Old 04-13-2011, 06:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdavep View Post
........ Using it with The Pacific the other night, clear voices, but the actions scenes were obviously muted .......
Not to get too far off track here but I'm currently watching this movie over my Laptop. Good movie. Is the sound any good in a HT?
post #60 of 132 Old 04-13-2011, 07:30 AM

I probably would have used it when my kids were little but not now that I have built a home theater and the kids are in high school

Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page