Do you; or would you; use a late night listing mode if you had it? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Do you; or would you; use a late night listing mode if you had it?
Yes - I use, or would use, such a mode 0 0%
No - I would not use such a mode 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 132 Old 04-15-2011, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 164
My wife and I use this mode at night to watch movies when the kids are in bed. If it is a movie that I know that will have great audio then I will watch it when everyone else is gone without the night mode.

The funny thing is I went to Demo a few movies off to some friends and forgot it was in Nightmode and played some scenes and they politely told me it sounded good. I then realized what I had done and replayed it without nightmode and they were floored with the difference.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 132 Old 04-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yep, I'd use it--sometimes--though one of my main reasons for owning my own house is so I *CAN* jam the A/V system any time of the day or night and not get all fretty that I'm disturbing the neighbor on the other side of the wall.

Two situations: sometimes I'm doing something--eating, shuffling papers, whatever--while I'm half watching/listening, and the noise my activity can drown out quiet parts of the soundtrack. Under those circumstances, I hate doing the yo-yo thing with the volume knob. Also, I tend to stay up late, and when I have house guests, I want to be able to watch something without worrying about waking them.

Most of all, though, I wish my CAR sound system had a dynamic range compression feature! Even in the relatively quiet cabin of my Camry, it's very hard to listen to, say, a Mahler symphony on the road without constantly goosing and cutting the volume.
post #93 of 132 Old 04-15-2011, 10:44 AM

Liked: 10
Don't use it. I have it though. Nothing a real nice pair of headphones can't fix.
post #94 of 132 Old 04-15-2011, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Due to the way my house is built if I step outside with the HT going full volume you have to strain to hear it. Actually the poll should have had a "sometimes" in it. That's when us "LITTLE BOYS" who didn't want to throw away a lot of money on a "trophy home theater system" (instead of a trophy wife I guess) use Midnight mode for reasons other than keeping the volume down. Sometimes they also act as a compressor for those films with too wide of dynamic range where you sometimes lose the dialog.
post #95 of 132 Old 04-15-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz View Post

Cutting the bass will not work with significantly dynamic content. IConsider a recording of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. The first movement is very very quiet. About as quietly as you can get a piano to make noise. The second movement begins with the pianist pounding the piano about as hard as possible. So if I have the opening set so I can reasonably hear at least the high points (if not all the hall sound) at say 55 or 60 dB, movement 2 kicks in at maybe 80 dB. It doesn't have to be in the bass for it to travel within my house and disturb others.

FWIW, if I had a well isolated listening area, I likely would never use dynamic control except maybe for bedtime "listening."

if the first part was at 55dB and you have a limiter set to 55dB .. the rest would not jump to 80dB.

i suppose drywall and insulation doesnt muffle midrange and treble as well as it could.

i was talking about a situation where the midrange and treble wasnt an issue.
acoustic blankets can help reduce the midrange and treble.
i dont see why they cant replace insulation.. but maybe the excessive heat in the wall makes the blanket fibers change, and then they dont do their acoustic job as well.

thats a question for the manufacturer (or the people selling the blankets)

compressors are decent for late night listening when you dont want to bother anybody else in the house, but the audio doesnt have dynamics anymore.
nothing soft or loud.. its all one volume and defeats the purpose of enjoying the audio.
thats why i said its better to use a limiter.. you get soft sounds soft, and the loud sounds arent allowed to play loud.
the listening experience between the two should be substantial.

but dont get me wrong, i cant stand movies that have audio passages that are too quiet and cant be heard without cranking the volume.. i think its stupid and shouldnt pass quality control.
one moment they are simply having a conversation and thinks are whispering quiet.. then the vocals rise in output as if they are walking together down a hall and have to talk loud enough so that they can concentrate on walking while listening and comprehending what the other person said.

if the microphone wasnt far away, you could still comprehend that the two actors are whispering (or talking very low and clear)
its the tone of voice used in contrast with the amplitude.

even if you have your system turned up loud enough to hear those whispers loud and clear.. its better to use a limiter to limit everything else.
the ability to have a neutral (average) output level, with the ability to get softer, is more enveloping.

in all honesty, we need a limiter to reduce the peaks.. and another limiter to raise the softest sounds.
allowing some up and down.. more than what a compresser allows.

i've used the 'smart volume management' from creative and it doesnt allow any up and down.
i've also used the 'night' setting under the dolby dynamic range settings.
it doesnt allow much up and down either.
they work great to raise the soft and keep the peaks down.. but anything in between is stuck at a constant output level.

sure, maybe this is exactly what some people want when they are trying to keep the noise down.. they turn the compressor on and raise the volume until its loud enough to be heard (or low enough to not disturb)
i think it sounds too flat and compressed.
sounds like the microphone has a giant satellite dish on it to capture all of the audio, but the magnifying glass 'zooming in' should still have soft up/down changes.

like listening to an actor talk, and another actor sets down a cup of coffee and the sound of the cup being put on the table is the same volume as the actors voice.
stupid..!!!
the cup should be at least lower some
post #96 of 132 Old 04-15-2011, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 752
some films are just mixed badly ..
all goes into the money & how much they want to put into production values I M H O

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #97 of 132 Old 04-15-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

some films are just mixed badly ..
all goes into the money & how much they want to put into production values I M H O

yep.. i agree.
some films are mixed badly.. and its disrespectful to the audio industry when audio is a religion itself.
we put in hard work and time to get a 'blank slate' that allows each audio track to be dropped in seamless to standardize the consumer results.

the studio audio mastering people arent the only ones that should be listening to the perfect audio results.

i have said it in the past.. if there is whispering going on and the output is raised to keep the audio within a dB limit that can be heard without raising the volume.. put in some signal to noise ratio distortion to give the effect of 'zooming in' with the microphone.
we dont need it if the tone of voice changes.
and there are clearly two types of whispering.
one is the comical.. psst psst psst like whispering in someones ear.
but the other is hearing the vocal chords work less to throw the audio.
like you can clearly hear the vocal chords arent working as hard to be heard.
and you can tell this because of the length of amplitude.
the person isnt 'yelling' as much to be heard.. and the result is calm with shorter durations of all tones.

some people have a big mouth, and its hard to capture the person looking across the room and talking to somebody standing at the other end of the room...
compared to someone who is talking to somebody 6ft away, and the other person is close enough where the person talking can look down at the ground and still be heard.
post #98 of 132 Old 04-16-2011, 01:06 AM

I use it, it's got varying degrees on my Denon.
Late at night when I'm mellowing out, the wonderful dynamic range of my system is sometimes excessive. So I'll kick up the center channel and compress the level a bit.
I know I've got 200 honest watts x 5 when I want it, so I don't feel I'm missing something, I'm just using one of the features of my great gear.

~Lash
post #99 of 132 Old 04-16-2011, 11:33 AM

I use compression at night because at the moment I live in an apartment and even with no sub my Mozart's make too much bass. So i enable any and all features that will make voice easier to hear and explosions not wake my neighbors. I also have the ability to save set ups on my receiver so I have a memory set to have the center channel level higher than the rest of the speakers and have the lower frequencies tenuated and have the x-over frequency as high as possible.

When I was in my house and living alone I never used any compression.
post #100 of 132 Old 04-16-2011, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I live in a house, in part so I do not have to use limiting features like this.

Years ago, when I first moved into a new apartment, the cops came to my door because the neighbors said my A/V system volume was too loud. Would you believe that was with a pair of Radio Shack Minimus-7's?

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #101 of 132 Old 04-16-2011, 11:50 AM

i voted no i have used these modes in past they dont really seem to work. best solution i find is to shut off the subwoofer the bass is what travels thru the house.
post #102 of 132 Old 04-16-2011, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 195
No, I don't care for dynamic range compression of any kind as it takes away the cinematic experience from a movie's soundtrack.
post #103 of 132 Old 04-16-2011, 03:26 PM

Liked: 13
Im sure I'll have a rude awakening once a wife and kid(s) but I do accommodate for them... somewhat

For a lot of families that have open rooms or sound that carries throughout the house easily, I can see this as a plus to have on the receiver.
post #104 of 132 Old 04-16-2011, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I've got a fairly open house and my master is directly above my family room theater where i listen when the wife or guests are asleep.

On the rare occasion I am up and watching late when she is asleep (the theater is way too loud and too close the the bedrooms for that) I use the Night Mode. On the two ocassions I've used it - it has been an improvement over the - just turn it down option.

I voted YES - let's have it even if we don't use it except on a blue moon.

I am, however, opposed to DRC (dynamic range controls) that auto activate -as in some Dolby Digital/True HD encoded discs (Iron Man for example). I am also not a fan of dynamic volume (it never seems to work consistently) and would not see that as a feature in most instances. I would NOT, however, have manufacturers delete it.

Let me pick the option - not some cyber nanny who thinks it what is better for me.

Isn't it time someone promoted quality as value?
post #105 of 132 Old 04-16-2011, 06:52 PM

Liked: 44
post #106 of 132 Old 04-17-2011, 04:27 AM

I have and have used the midnight mode, although admittedly Onkyo hides it pretty well, but it actually seems to work pretty well, and it's nice to have a mode where the family can sleep and you can still hear the dialog for the TV fairly well. Works well on games, too. Granted, headphones is another option, although dealing with the cord is a pain (and I have a cordless set, but they're too noisy), although then too, I'd like to be able to hear other things in the house. These receivers have a hundred settings, throwing in midnight mode would seem a nit for them.

Paul Jones
post #107 of 132 Old 04-17-2011, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

Is listing mode for when you have it installed on a boat?

It's only for use when you're in (tuned) ports.

Be seeing you!
post #108 of 132 Old 04-17-2011, 02:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Nope. There are two other controls already available. One is labeled VOL and the other ON/OFF. Both have proven to be highly effective.

Before I forget, there was something about my room being sound isolated and measures 20NR.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #109 of 132 Old 04-17-2011, 03:20 PM

I never use mine (Integra DTR 70.1 receiver). I make it a point to watch my movies while everybody in my house is still awake.

What's the point of having a great home theater system if you don't crank it up?
post #110 of 132 Old 04-17-2011, 08:47 PM

I do sometimes because my wife works really early in the morning so she goes to bed early, happy wife happy life
post #111 of 132 Old 04-17-2011, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I admit to wanting to purchase a surround sound system, but I may or may not given that I live in a condo where sound insulation between suites is almost non-existant. But definitely, if I did have such a system, I would use the late night mode. Even if I lived in a place with more of a sound-proof design or a single family home, I'm sure I would probably still make use of it, although not as much.
post #112 of 132 Old 04-17-2011, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Yes, I have used it on the current AVR as well as the two previous units, but not so much these days.

Apartment dweller (minimal common walls, no one above or below) and I get up early for work so I'm not up late at night watching movies often. I don't own a TV or watch it, so no need for volume levelling.

Late night mode helps some, but it's easier simply to choose more dialogue than SFX based flicks for nights or to use headphones. Keeps a good relationship with the neighbours so I can get away with some loud stuff on w/e evenings.
post #113 of 132 Old 04-18-2011, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I didn't buy Klipsch cornerhorns to listen at low volume.
JJK
post #114 of 132 Old 04-18-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post

I didn't buy Klipsch cornerhorns to listen at low volume.
JJK

touche'

from another Heritage lover , I also play them As I like them ==> full effect Only

Mike

post #115 of 132 Old 04-18-2011, 03:45 PM

wow, some of you really missed the point of the feature. I somehow get the feeling that most of the people on avs didn't buy their equipment to listen at low volumes, but rather use the feature out of necessity.

I use the feature all the time in my bedroom because I have apartment neighbors that share one of the walls, but never use it in the living room because there are no shared walls.

HTPC always in progess...
things I've learned here:
"the sound of a power cord" is BS.
turn your center speaker 90 degrees.
avoid women who require WAF in a HT.
post #116 of 132 Old 04-18-2011, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I don't watch movies in the man cave without my wife anyway, and since we're both night owls anyway, there's no point. If anything we both want the opposite of a night mode. How do I make the receiver go to 11?

Nunc lento sonitu dicunt, morieris.
Now this bell tolling softly for another, says to me, Thou must die.
-John Donne

My Home Theater (QTVR)
"Thirst is worse than homesickness"
post #117 of 132 Old 04-18-2011, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlash View Post
I don't watch movies in the man cave without my wife anyway, and since we're both night owls anyway, there's no point. If anything we both want the opposite of a night mode. How do I make the receiver go to 11?
U buy a Fluxcapacitor with overdrive !

Mike

post #118 of 132 Old 04-19-2011, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

It's a definite plus for me when the kids are in bed or studying.

Some implementations are better than others; Meridian's is particularly good: more than just the standard 'on'/'off' or 'low' 'medium' 'high' options, and they actually work. I haven't tried it yet, but I think one or more of the modes can help out on those occasional soundtracks where the dialog level keeps getting overwhelmed by everything else.
post #119 of 132 Old 04-19-2011, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 159
In my 5.1 set-up I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-32 that I use as a a pre-pro and at night after my wife has gone to bed I always use THX Loudness Plus. It works wonderfully too. Gives movies the same (loud) dynamics at low volumes. I figured it was just another gimmick until I tried it.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #120 of 132 Old 04-19-2011, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Forgot I had it engaged for the next use and was stumped at the weirdness for a few minutes until I remembered to disengage it. It's not a bad feature to have, but mostly I don't use it.
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page