Apple Announces iCloud Music Service - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-06-2011, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Apple Announces iCloud Music Service

On Monday afternoon, Apple announced the introduction of iCloud, a music service that will allow users to listen to their music from almost any Internet-connected device.The service, which was introduced at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco, will be available starting in the fall for users of Apple products who also upgrade to the company's latest operating system. Though iCloud itself will be free, to fully take advantage of the service, users will need to pay $24.99 per year for a service called iTunes Match that will scan their iTunes library and make their songs available to be streamed on any Apple device, as long as those songs happen to among the 18 million available from Apples iTunes store. Songs that aren't included in the store will have to be uploaded from users' hard drives. A note on Apple's web page indicates that 5GB of storage will be offered to iCloud users for free. The service replaces Apple's previously available MobileMe service, which allowed users to store data and access email, calendar and contacts via a cloud. Subscribers to iCloud will have their E-books, photos and documents all backed up wirelessly and automatically. Purchased music, apps and books will not count toward the allotted storage.

For links and more stories visit the Streaming Media section at HomeToys.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2011, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Apple could announce their new incandescent light bulb and people would herald it as a great new technology.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

Apple could announce their new incandescent light bulb and people would herald it as a great new technology.

I guess I missed the part where the article mentioned this is the "great new technology". I only read the parts where features and price were included.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post

I guess I missed the part where the article mentioned this is the "great new technology".

Yes you did, because his point was that some people will think of Apple announcements in those terms, whether Apple explicitly expresses them that way or not.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

Yes you did, because his point was that some people will think of Apple announcements in those terms, whether Apple explicitly expresses them that way or not.

And that's Apple's fault why?
Old 06-06-2011, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Microsoft already has a cloud server and it's free(up to 25GB), not to mention you can upload anything you want to their cloud(file size up to 50MB).

In related news Apple also unveiled their Photo Stream which basically does what Flickr has been doing for several years now, coincidentally Flickr has a feature called "Photostream".
Old 06-06-2011, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 84
So now we can turn our attention to Apple who will now be the biggest freeloader on the network. Netflix move over. With all this syncing going on, there goes most of the wireless bandwidth that cell networks offer, and a good chunk of the cable internet also. At first it won't be bad, but as Apple gets more and more people to sync up something has to give.

Oppo Beta Group
Old 06-06-2011, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

The Cloud

A 'phile and his money are soon parted...
Old 06-07-2011, 05:31 AM

Liked: 10
I'm new to this forum, from the looks of the few narrow minded comments that this forum is a bit anti-Apple! Say it isn't so!
Old 06-07-2011, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Can you believe this was a lead story on CNN.com, I swear Steve Jobs could fart and the media would call it a life changing event.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek View Post

Microsoft already has a cloud server and it's free(up to 25GB), not to mention you can upload anything you want to their cloud(file size up to 50MB).

And it's a shame nobody knows about it.

Note to Steve Jobs and others: I will never pay for cloud service. Period.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Why is it a shame? The difference is that Apple focused their promotion on their wireless devices, which affect millions of casual users.

After going through dozens of blackberry, android and other devices, I finally succumbed to Apple this year (I love my iPhone and iPad) and will never go back. I still have a PC but will finally convert to a Mac this summer.

What the PC techies always miss is that for most people, it is not just about cool features but ease of use. That said, my wife says the same thing to me about my home theater (too complicated!)

BTW properbostonian - Go Bruins!
Old 06-07-2011, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The bandwidth concerns will need to be addressed at some point. However it's clear that the cloud technology has caught on in a number of businesses. The future business model is available on demand all the time. It'll be a technical challenge for us IT folks for a while as software as a service grows. The truth is that large comanies have been using this model on a smaller scale for quite some time.

With all these clouds around...I can't wait for the marketing department to start selling sunshine services to clear the clouds away.

I'm confused too.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnovox View Post

Why is it a shame? The difference is that Apple focused their promotion on their wireless devices, which affect millions of casual users.

After going through dozens of blackberry, android and other devices, I finally succumbed to Apple this year (I love my iPhone and iPad) and will never go back. I still have a PC but will finally convert to a Mac this summer.

What the PC techies always miss is that for most people, it is not just about cool features but ease of use. That said, my wife says the same thing to me about my home theater (too complicated!)

BTW properbostonian - Go Bruins!

Yep! As an experienced User Experience Designer and Engineer for a large corporation (let's just say that you probably use many of their products in your office right now), Apple simply makes a better product for your money. And yes, it's not about the features (never really has been), but about the experience from the features. The Blackberry has all of the features as an iPhone (give or take), but those features are poorly usable in comparison, and it's really Apple's seamless usability and software/hardware engineering that makes them as popular as they are.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek View Post

In related news Apple also unveiled their Photo Stream which basically does what Flickr has been doing for several years now, coincidentally Flickr has a feature called "Photostream".

I beleive in the next windows Phone 7 release (Mango) you will be able to access MS Skydrive. Apple is offering 5gb, big deal my Phone alone has 22gb of storage what good is 5gb more.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:54 AM

For me, it's much cheaper to have more memory in my local device than have to pay for the extra data from AT&T. No one has mentioned how music streaming and photo uploading will affect AT&T users...or Verizon for that matter. Is uploading to the iCloud going to cost me bandwidth? Will I hit my 2gb and need to get a more expensive data plan? Why do I need streaming music when I can put more music on my iphone than I can listen to in several days? It almost seems as if this is another way to drive up data usage.

It's like video streaming from Netflix, etc. "Watch as many movies as you want" they say, but then the ISPs data limit your account!

So will the icloud now also affect my internet data usage? Will it download photos wirelessly through my internet connection to my PC and increase my usage?

There are 10 types of people in the world. Thos that understand binary and those that don't.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacsteve1 View Post

I'm new to this forum, from the looks of the few narrow minded comments that this forum is a bit anti-Apple! Say it isn't so!

Actually a lot of us use Apple products, its just that a closed ecosystem such as iCloud, which is centered around Apple's handheld devices with Steve Jobs forecasting the end of desktop computing is a bit much to take in without laughing a bit.

Even the Lion OSX didn't excite me, wow full window app's. Shazam.

Oppo Beta Group
Old 06-07-2011, 10:14 AM

Liked: 20
iCloud will be terrific in a practical sense by automatically synching all your devices without the need to plug into the computer. it's a pretty logical step, and frankly quite a bit overdue in my opinion. but it doesn't eliminate the need for the pc or local storage as it does not stream your library to your devices. it does not utilize the Apple TV at all.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnovox View Post

What the PC techies always miss is that for most people, it is not just about cool features but ease of use.

You left out "price" and "doing it the way I want, instead of according to the dictates of Steve Jobs". Those mean a lot to people as well. Apple is genetically incapable of providing the features of my Android at the price I paid for it.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I'm a big Mac fan (have been for years) but the Playstation Network Hack has taught me one thing: sometimes cloud (or server based) systems aren't all that great. When the PSN went down lots of games simply stopped working since they needed that network to function. Alot like the floppy disc this is just another step in phasing out the old way of doing things (local storage). It will not happen overnight but in a few years we'll all laugh at the idea that we used to store data on devices since those devices (hard drive, phones) could be easily lost or damaged.

My equipment list is here. Playstation Network ID = jmii ...that's JM roman numeral 2
Old 06-07-2011, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmspen View Post

For me, it's much cheaper to have more memory in my local device than have to pay for the extra data from AT&T. No one has mentioned how music streaming and photo uploading will affect AT&T users...or Verizon for that matter. Is uploading to the iCloud going to cost me bandwidth? Will I hit my 2gb and need to get a more expensive data plan? Why do I need streaming music when I can put more music on my iphone than I can listen to in several days? It almost seems as if this is another way to drive up data usage.

It's like video streaming from Netflix, etc. "Watch as many movies as you want" they say, but then the ISPs data limit your account!

So will the icloud now also affect my internet data usage? Will it download photos wirelessly through my internet connection to my PC and increase my usage?

As I understand it, it's NOT streaming.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:33 PM
T2k

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule View Post

Yep! As an experienced User Experience Designer and Engineer for a large corporation (let's just say that you probably use many of their products in your office right now), Apple simply makes a better product for your money. And yes, it's not about the features (never really has been), but about the experience from the features. The Blackberry has all of the features as an iPhone (give or take), but those features are poorly usable in comparison, and it's really Apple's seamless usability and software/hardware engineering that makes them as popular as they are.

I love when designers try to act like engineers and they end up making silly posts they think are very mindful - your comment clearly shows you are not a technical person (forget engineer) nor even an advanced user.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k View Post

I love when designers try to act like engineers and they end up making silly posts they think are very mindful - your comment clearly shows you are not a technical person (forget engineer) nor even an advanced user.

Study the user market, and then report back. Then look up engineering psychology.

Your post comes across snarky and borderline insulting. Careful.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:15 AM

Apple has announced many new techniques to its application and this time it was iCloud, its user can able to upload their music to Apple's servers and then stream it over the internet, really some great features are adding to apple's technology.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k View Post

I love when a-holes open their mouths.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:07 AM

Good friend of mine has been beta testing this for a while, he is really digging it...
Old 06-21-2011, 08:57 PM

Google has a cloud music streaming beta that is free and has either a no data cap or a large one I dont know about