Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-06-2012, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Residential Power Monitoring
Author - Mark Anderson

Living with soaring fuel prices, a difficult economy, and the emerging Smart Grid, I decided I would start to monitor and manage my power consumption when I rehabbed my 1912 house. The monitoring has been running for several months now, so did it make me a more eco-friendly citizen and did it save me money?

There's been lots of talk of the Smart Grid for several years and many utility companies have rolled out Smart Meters and accompanying utility plans. The core concept of the Smart Grid is that utility companies monitor power usage and, in return for cheaper electricity, you will allow the utility company to turn on and off certain circuits and/or appliances during peak demand periods. This has attractions for many. Some do it for the financial savings, while others do it for environmental reasons. Would I partake in such a scheme? In a word: No. Now that doesn't mean I have money to burn, nor does it mean that I don't care about the environment; although, I do have many friends whose philosophy is if we're all sailing on the Titanic, we may as well go first class. I have a small house and I'm already fairly responsible about the energy I use. Now if I had a 6,000 square foot home, with central air, hot-tub, pool, etc., I may be inclined increase the temperature in certain areas of the house, or turn off the heat to the hot-tub/pool during peak demand periods in return for savings. But would I let the utility company shut-off the air when it's 100-degrees and humid? No way.

Read the complete article at HomeToys.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-07-2012, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for the write up. We were just talking about our electric bill today and it would be interesting to see what's using power, when, and how to save some money.

I skimmed over the article, but it looks like something that is very doable and offers great advantages. Thank you for writing something up and I will be reading it and planning something out!!!

As an edit, I saw you were looking for something else to use since google powermeter has been retired. Have you seen these?

http://lancet.mit.edu/mwall/projects/power/
http://marc.merlins.org/linux/ecm1240/
post #3 of 6 Old 01-14-2012, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hetherington View Post

But would I let the utility company shut-off the air when it's 100-degrees and humid? No way.

if you put some solar panels on your house they definitely would not turn you off.

my HT
post #4 of 6 Old 01-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
as for power watching I use the killawatt monitor.
got a pair of them.

my HT
post #5 of 6 Old 02-10-2012, 01:33 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hetherington View Post

Residential Power Monitoring
Author - Mark Anderson

But would I let the utility company shut-off the air when it’s 100-degrees and humid? No way.

My utility has a voluntary program that allows them to turn off my air conditioner for 15 minutes an hour during peak usage times. In exchange I receive a 15% reduction in my electrical bill from May thru September.

In the 7 years or so since I've been involved I've never been able to tell when they are turning off my unit without going outside to see if it's running or not because I don't sense any difference in temperature in the house.

For me, participation hasn't been noticeable and I've saved a lot of money over the years.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-16-2012, 07:42 PM

Liked: 10
My utility has a voluntary program that allows them to turn off my air conditioner for 15 minutes an hour during peak usage times. In exchange I receive a 15% reduction in my electrical bill from May thru September.

Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page