AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup View Post

Enjoy? Yes. Need? No.

Enjoy it enough to pay for it? You'll get a huge yes from me. For the poster asking about Food Network shows the majority of them aren't available online.

I act my age sometimes. Sometimes ;). Crap I say
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 120 Old 02-02-2012, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Been satellite/cable free since August 2011.

I live in a City about 15 minutes from the US border and receive all US networks and a few other channels OTA.

I use a Linux server running Mythtv and 3 ATSC tuners dedicated to recording.

Recording are scheduled by the webui.

Recorded shows are viewed on either of our 2 PS3's in the house. Serviio is the dlna software running on the server to allow watching of said recordings.

Alternate program viewing is Netflix, also on the PS3's

Monthly bill: $7.99 for Netflix and $4.99 for my US VPN to allow US Netflix viewing. $69.95 for cable internet with 30 MB download and 175 GB monthly cap.

Kryspy
post #33 of 120 Old 02-02-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post

Hi,

That's strange that you are having problems with HULU+, we almost use it exclusively to keep up with current shows and do not have any problems. We stream through Roku2 XS boxes, so not sure if it's a streamer issue in your end (what are you using?).

The HULU Player built directly into my TV. The hardware seems to work fine with the other services, so if the problem is on my end, it's a software issue.

What video quality are you using? I'm seeing problems with HD 3Mbps... I have a lot more open bandwidth than what is required...
post #34 of 120 Old 02-02-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremmy View Post

The HULU Player built directly into my TV. The hardware seems to work fine with the other services, so if the problem is on my end, it's a software issue.

What video quality are you using? I'm seeing problems with HD 3Mbps... I have a lot more open bandwidth than what is required...

I have all my Roku's set to 1080p (not that it always is -depends on the program, but most of what we see from Hulu Plus is HD). The streaming is very smooth with no issues - and sometimes 3 of the units are streaming at the same time.

Check if there is FW update for your TV, I've never streamed directly from a TV since I use the Roku2 boxes or bluray player's with streaming abilities. We sometimes stream through our Apple TV, but their programs cost more...

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #35 of 120 Old 02-02-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

There are rumors flying, especially on the AVS forum, that all of the cable companies will eventually encrypt all of their digital stations, including the locals. They will then require you to pay for a box just to get the lifeline cable.

In order to do that, the FCC would have to change the law. They are required to carry locals unencrypted on a basic tier. (ClearQAM)

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
post #36 of 120 Old 02-02-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

In order to do that, the FCC would have to change the law. They are required to carry locals unencrypted on a basic tier. (ClearQAM)

They've proposed it and put it out for comment.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #37 of 120 Old 02-02-2012, 10:55 AM

Does anyone want to try the Channel Master TV CM 7400 HD DVR instead of their PCs?
post #38 of 120 Old 02-02-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAMROCK View Post

Does anyone want to try the Channel Master TV CM 7400 HD DVR instead of their PCs?

Never used one, does it work well?

Ray

post #39 of 120 Old 02-02-2012, 12:44 PM

Liked: 11
I cut the cable back in March of 2009 and I haven't regretted it one bit. I installed my antenna (w/ amplifier) in my attic and connected it to the coax cable which feeds the signal to every room except one. That room receives the Comcast broadband connection. Using my router, and some switches, all the rooms also have broadband via CAT5e.

I have a Linux server that handles file/print duties and, using MythTV, handles DVR recording. I had one HDHomerun when I first cut the cord and just recently added another. I can record 3 different shows simultaneously and I use the 4th tuner to watch TV on my computers. It seems like a mad scientist-type setup but it all works and the only monthly fees are for broadband and Netflix streaming. I even bought a cable modem to eliminate the ridiculous leasing fee.

My wife and kids can't tell you how it all works, but I've simplified it enough that they can access any of the media streaming without difficulty. I love it and I'm never going back!!
post #40 of 120 Old 02-02-2012, 12:53 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryspy View Post

Recorded shows are viewed on either of our 2 PS3's in the house. Serviio is the dlna software running on the server to allow watching of said recordings.

How is Serviio working out for you? I use miniDLNA, but it doesn't always show new files copied to the folder. I have to restart it. Have you tried the MythTV DLNA solution? I use it and I don't have to worry about running the mythpretty script and generating symbolic links.
post #41 of 120 Old 02-02-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legierk View Post

I don't miss cable at all. Been OTA only for about 2 years.

"Hi. I'm Bob and I've been cable free for 2 years".

I have not watched TV (cable or OTA) since 2006. Quit cold turkey and it was hard the first 6 months (have some experience as former smoker).

My only regret is that I have not done it sooner. They call 'idiot box' for a reason.
post #42 of 120 Old 02-02-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I used to have Directv and then I tried Charter cable. I've had an antenna mounted on a 30' tower for approx. 2 yrs. I mainly watch the major networks so I don't miss a thing that sat. or cable had to offer.
I pay $25.00 a month for a land line phone and $30.00 for Charter internet. I see they are offering it for $20. but that must be an introductory offer. Anyway I'm locked in for 1 more year at $30. Charter cable is about $70. a month so I figure I'm saving quite a bit.
It took about a year to recoup what the tower and ant. cost but I'll never go back
post #43 of 120 Old 02-02-2012, 01:35 PM

correct me if i'm wrong, but won't be cost less if just buy a HD atenna directly connect to TV?

the other option is install a Super DISH and Box, which allow you to receive ALL Free channels in N.america and International channel. My friend done this, i think he got like 3000+ channels
post #44 of 120 Old 02-02-2012, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

Reading your experience makes me want to do the same, but if we drop the basic cable portion of our cable/internet service, the internet price jumps by almost as much as the basic cable costs. We get all of the local networks in HD, so we wouldn't be gaining anything (except higher PQ) by going to an antenna.

Still, Comcast is reputedly going to encrypt all HD channels in the coming months, so if/when that happens, I will come back to investigate "cutting the cable" again.

Depending on your Franchise Authority -- you still may be cheaper going with Internet only.

I dropped cable but had to keep internet due to DSL speed being capped at only 1.5 MB at my address. It does certainly seem like a no-brainer -- keep the Limited Basic channels for about the same price as just having Internet alone. However - you forget what comes along with the Basic Cable rates. The FCC Tv tax ... the Franchise Fee ... etc.

When a person I work with and I cut the cord about a month apart from each other (I dropping Cable TV altogether and he kept Limited Basic) ... we compared bills afterwards and found that I was still the cheaper bill ... because I didn't have the extra fees on my account anymore while he still did.
post #45 of 120 Old 02-02-2012, 01:44 PM

If it's free over the air you want, what's wrong with free to air satellite? Sure there are a lot of foreign stations, but you also get Russia Today (English) and Press TV (English) just on galaxy 19. Why limit over the air to just terrestrial stations?
post #46 of 120 Old 02-02-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

The major hurdle cord cutters are going to face will be/(is) the institution of bandwidth caps and raising the cost of Internet service to offset the loss in revenue from it's cable subs. Anyone who ises any streaming device, even sparringly will hit a 2GB cap FAST!

post #47 of 120 Old 02-02-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The major hurdle cord cutters are going to face will be/(is) the institution of bandwidth caps and raising the cost of Internet service to offset the loss in revenue from it's cable subs. Anyone who ises any streaming device, even sparringly will hit a 2GB cap FAST!

So are many of the services instituting bandwidth caps? We are using Comcast/Xfinity and have a total of 9 streaming devices (Roku2's, Apple TV's and streaming blurays) with us using up to 4 at once and have not had any issues yet. We do play blurays/DVD's and OTA, but more than 80% of the time it's streaming for us. We have their best internet package which suppose to fit our use.

Ray

post #48 of 120 Old 02-02-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Here's to hoping Charter is so used to living at the bottom of the barrel that they cling desperately to the only customer base who actually thinks they do a good job: their internet customers.

If Charter institutes a bandwidth cap, I'll cancel them. And if all the other providers do it as well, I'll physically carry data off the internet by hand after transforming myself into a little electric gremlin.
post #49 of 120 Old 02-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

This isn't for everyone. If you enjoy programming on channels such as Bravo, Nat Geo, Discovery, TLC, History, Oasis, Sports channels, etc... you're stuck paying for cable.

No. You can get it from hulu, netflix, download, streaming, etc

If miss sport, well MLB got streaming and you pay a package to watch all the games on the internet. I dont know if NFL, NBA got it.
post #50 of 120 Old 02-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAMROCK View Post

That thing is not good.

Please look into Silicon Dust. It has dual tuner and you hook it to your home network. Now everyone of your computer got TV channel. You dont need to open anything. I love this toy.
post #51 of 120 Old 02-03-2012, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post

So are many of the services instituting bandwidth caps? We are using Comcast/Xfinity and have a total of 9 streaming devices (Roku2's, Apple TV's and streaming blurays) with us using up to 4 at once and have not had any issues yet. We do play blurays/DVD's and OTA, but more than 80% of the time it's streaming for us. We have their best internet package which suppose to fit our use.

Not all ISP's are at this point. I have Time Warner Wideband and a while back TWC explored caps, but the backlash was massive and they backed off. It's on the radar and providers are starting to do it.

post #52 of 120 Old 02-03-2012, 06:37 AM

CubicleDrone,

Just started using Serviio witih the last week. Previously I was using PS3 Mediaserver but it has become too fragmented and was causing me some grief.

So far, Serviio works perfectly and I like the online option. I have it set to download 10 epsiodes of Tekzilla and HD Nation. Not sure how minidlna handles what needs to and what doesn`t need to be transcoded but Serviio seems to get it right with the built in PS3 profile.

As for the Mythtv dlna solution; haven`t tried it. The Mythpretty script is useful for me as I delete watched programs from my PC via the Mythweb interface.

Kryspy
post #53 of 120 Old 02-03-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

I'm a little confused. If you think television is for idiots, why are you on the Audio Visual Science forum, since a good portion of the forum is dedicated to television?

I did not say I do not own a TV, I do own 5020 and I watch movies on it via my BD player. Just do not watch TV (ABC, Fox, HBO, etc.).

The networks especially are total waste of life, IMO. 'Must see TV'? What a joke (not on me).

Plus I thought the AVS Forums is for technical issues, not what's on tonight.
post #54 of 120 Old 02-03-2012, 07:52 AM

I've never had a need to go cold turkey: I've never had cable/satellite.

I've got my antenna in the attic, optimized per Antennaweb's recommendations, and a signal amplifier... Works great.

BMW: Happiness is the next curve.
post #55 of 120 Old 02-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

I think watching news is not a waste of time.

I like to watch scam and learn from people mistake.

To me, watching people that are miserable makes me feel good and I dont want to be like them.
post #56 of 120 Old 02-03-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Am wo cable for 18 months now - saving a bundle. Paying Netflix $9/mo. streaming when I get extra bored. As is am not getting enough exercise, if I spend $99 bux for a cable package am gonna die b4r I hit 50.

For the Internet I go back&forth between carriers and pay their promo, basic service, that's all I need.
post #57 of 120 Old 02-03-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

We spend over $250/month on cable and I'd love to ditch it.

Occasionally I've toyed with the idea of cutting cable. It's hard to do when you have five in the household and three are kids. Too much variety in tastes. And my wife isn't very tech savvy so she doesn't like working the HTPC, even though it's simple.

So we continue on with cable.
post #58 of 120 Old 02-03-2012, 04:25 PM

Liked: 14
I have been doing without any cable or pay satellite service for five years or so. I am one of the few relying on a big, motorized satellite dish.

You know, when I did have those pay services before, of the hundreds of stations, I found I was watching maybe ten with any regularity. Now I get more than enough choices, some premium channels (usually these are temporary) and plenty of HD.

There is no hacking going on with me. These stations are broadcast unencrypted. In those five years I have paid for equipment and some construction materials. I own everything, which I wouldn't if I subscribed. I have learned a hobby, which I wouldn't if I had subscribed, and I get more than enough stations.

I do get fewer local stations, so I have to rely on the internet for local news. That's a small downside.

I also get no satellite or cable bills every month. Once again, I am hacking nothing. It's all perfectly legal. Five years. I'm still happy.
post #59 of 120 Old 02-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Ok, I get it that everybody hates cable-me included. But other than getting everything OTA, people who talk about "streaming", do they have a a magical internet connection that I am unaware of. Because for me to maintain my internet thru the big "C", costs pretty close to the same with basic service, since it is bundled.
So, I do not understand everybody saying they are cutting the cable, yet are streaming-am I missing something?
Thanks
post #60 of 120 Old 02-03-2012, 06:02 PM

I would, if I had to, pay the same to stream my service than subscribe to a satellite or cable company again. I'd rather throw money at innovation. If I didn't have OTA as an option I'd subscribe to Hulu-Plus.

Kryspy
Reply Community News & Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page