A Year Without Cable TV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 120 Old 02-08-2012, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I reside about halfway between two major markets, Oklahoma City, OK and Wichita Falls, TX. With my antenna, I am receiving ABC, AntTV, CBS, CW, DayStar, FOX, ION, LWN, MyNet, NBC, PBS, Qubo, Telemundo, ThisTV, TuffTV, UniVision, two music video channels, and a couple of local independents. Most of these are in as good High Definition as what I was getting from the satellite. I must honestly say that apart from almost a hundred dollars a month in fees, the only thing I've really missed by disconnecting was a couple of ball games.

The only problem I've encountered is KTBO in Oklahoma City and KJTL in Wichita Falls both broadcast over channel 15 and being halfway between them, I get neither one as my set can't discern whether to create virtual 14 (TBN from OKC) or virtual 18 (FOX from WFT).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 120 Old 02-08-2012, 01:58 PM

But if one is poor and lower income and struggling then I understand that you gotta do what you gotta do.

You see this sometimes gets my back up. I can easily afford cable/satellite service. Sometimes money and being able to afford a service isn't the point. I just can never find enough on to justify the expense. For me, OTA + Netflix is the best bang for the buck. I am just over with the concept of paying "The Man" for absolute crap.

Kryspy
post #93 of 120 Old 02-08-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:

Am I Missing Something?
Ok, I get it that everybody hates cable-me included. But other than getting everything OTA, people who talk about "streaming", do they have a a magical internet connection that I am unaware of. Because for me to maintain my internet thru the big "C", costs pretty close to the same with basic service, since it is bundled.
So, I do not understand everybody saying they are cutting the cable, yet are streaming-am I missing something?
Thanks

My kids got me a Samsung brand BlueRay player for Christmas. It not only plays discs but also connects wirelessly to the internet. There are a multitude of apps (some already installed) including HULU Plus and NETFLIX. Their subscriptions are only $8 monthly and between the two of them you can find just about every episode of every TV series you may have missed or just want to watch again as well as a decent array of movies.

BlueRay players, Game Consoles, and most new TVs come with this built in.
post #94 of 120 Old 02-08-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryspy View Post

But if one is poor and lower income and struggling then I understand that you gotta do what you gotta do.

You see this sometimes gets my back up. I can easily afford cable/satellite service. Sometimes money and being able to afford a service isn't the point. I just can never find enough on to justify the expense. For me, OTA + Netflix is the best bang for the buck. I am just over with the concept of paying "The Man" for absolute crap.

Kryspy

And see, it works for you too. Some folks can happily get by without cable. For me, I find plenty on, including all of the sports I like. The only downside, and it is a huge one for me, is my hubby is an either/or kind of guy. If I got rid of cable the internet would go with it, non-negotiable. And I love my internet, so it all stays.

I'm a 'hooker' and a knitter. I guess that makes me bi-stitchual :). Crap I say
post #95 of 120 Old 02-09-2012, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryspy View Post

Kryspy

That is the way I look at it too. I rather spend money on DVDs I want to watch for my ala-carte programming and watch OTA HD for free. The only thing I miss is Monday Night football but thanks to OTA I watch 24 hours of football in HD on the weekends.

With my antenna, I am receiving ABC, CBS, DayStar, FOX, MyNetwork TV, NBC, PBS, MeTV, TBN, Bounce TV, ThisTV, TuffTV, and My Family TV.

If had a $150 a month pay TV bill coming in I would be doing this.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
post #96 of 120 Old 02-09-2012, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Once again... if money is tight, no need to turn to cable even for internet service. We get DSL service for $19/month, without adding home phone service. It isn't as fast as cable, but then again it does what we need fast enough and our house includes 2 network laptops and an Xbox live bandwidth eater.

For DVDs, there's Redbox. Get a couple of free rentals a month and the rest of the time it costs $1.20. If we can't watch a DVD on the night of the free rental, we have a solution for that too which costs us an additional 40 cents.

For those weeks when the Flyers are in the playoffs, usually can catch the games on NBC or we call up some PA friends and go out for a few beers. Still alot less than PPV and a monthly cable bill.
Same thing for our alma mater football/basketball games. When the game is big, we meet up with our local alumni assoc to watch it somewhere else.
Not having cable has actually contributed to our being more outgoing social people in our old age.

All Texans games are broadcast on local HDTV, by NFL mandate, even if their game is showing nationally on the NFL network or ESPN. And local HDTV shows way more Astros and Rockets games than I care to watch each year.

Finally, with 2 kids in high school, a lot of our time is spent at their games and competitions instead of sitting in front of our HDTVs. We much prefer the Real Friday Night Lights to the one on TV(when it was on TV).

All in all, NOT having cable TV has probably enriched our lives.....
post #97 of 120 Old 02-09-2012, 10:05 AM

Love cable and not cutting the cord unless I absolutely have to due to budget concerns. I pay 90 a month for RCN in delaware county PA. For that 90 I get most of the channels I wanted, tivo box, cable modem and router included, and my internet speed is 40Mbps which kicks the crap out of DSL (3Mbps) and Comcasts basic highspeed internet (15Mbps).

It's just easier, everything usually just works. Yes I can do more if I build a HTPC, but nothing irritates me faster than when something goes wrong and I have to troubleshoot it for a few days. I spend too much time at work doing work stuff to have to go home and put in more work. For as much time as I spend watching tv, and being online 90bucks seems to be a good value for me.

post #98 of 120 Old 02-09-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyen78 View Post

Love cable and not cutting the cord unless I absolutely have to due to budget concerns. I pay 90 a month for RCN in delaware county PA. For that 90 I get most of the channels I wanted, tivo box, cable modem and router included, and my internet speed is 40Mbps which kicks the crap out of DSL (3Mbps) and Comcasts basic highspeed internet (15Mbps).

It's just easier, everything usually just works. Yes I can do more if I build a HTPC, but nothing irritates me faster than when something goes wrong and I have to troubleshoot it for a few days. I spend too much time at work doing work stuff to have to go home and put in more work. For as much time as I spend watching tv, and being online 90bucks seems to be a good value for me.

Wow, that's a great price for all of that. We pay Comcast around $65/mo for 15Mbps and limited basic cable. We own the modem and router, and use an HTPC for DVR duties.

I'd dump cable, but that would jack the internet up to $60/mo, so I'm basically paying $60/yr to avoid putting up an antenna. Initially we were worried that we'd miss watching the upper channels, but we found that we really only watched the local networks anyway. The other shows we watched were pure time wasters. Movies and Netflix streaming (mostly older TV shows) fills in the rest.
post #99 of 120 Old 02-09-2012, 01:41 PM

Yeah, I used to use Comcast too. Glad I switched...mainly for the internet speed. Too bad I may move into the city and RCN doesn't service that area so I may be stuck going back to Comcast eventually.

For all those with high cable bills, you need to call the cable company every time your introductory rate runs out. If you call and threaten to cancel they will keep giving you the introductory rate.

When I ordered the RCN service I called comcast to cancel. They asked me why, I said RCN is cheaper, they offered me their intro rate again and really tried to sell me on their service. I had already set up the appointment with RCN and the internet speed is faster so I said no thanks. But if you ask, they will generally keep giving you the intro rate. They actually told my friend who was going to cancel comcast to call back every 6 months to keep getting the rate he was getting.

post #100 of 120 Old 02-09-2012, 02:43 PM

Wondering what you guys do at home that requires such high bandwidth?
post #101 of 120 Old 02-09-2012, 05:53 PM

Gaming.
post #102 of 120 Old 02-09-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Morris View Post

Wondering what you guys do at home that requires such high bandwidth?

Netflix?, Hulu? at 1080p streaming requires a lot! of bandwith!
I rather let a few hours pass and then watch a show with my humble bandwith dsl.

DIY beats store purchased.
post #103 of 120 Old 02-10-2012, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Burrows View Post

Netflix?, Hulu? at 1080p streaming requires a lot! of bandwith!
I rather let a few hours pass and then watch a show with my humble bandwith dsl.

I found 6mb DSL to be adequate for most streaming. 1080p streaming on YouTube wouldn't work unless I gave it some time to pre-load maybe 50%. 720p streaming would sometimes hiccup but was usually pretty good. Don't have Netflix, so can't comment on that.

Another consideration is bandwidth caps. Since I don't stream too much, I was never worried about hitting ATT's 150GB cap. I just switched to Comcast, which IIRC has a 250GB cap. The only reason for the switch was the wife working at home and needing a better connection and us getting fed up with ATT's customer service not knowing their head from their
post #104 of 120 Old 02-10-2012, 08:55 AM

I get the middle of three speeds of DSL our ISP provides. Depending on how many of the kids are home at a given time, I have anywhere from 1 to 6 devices feeding off it. My PC is wired into the router and all the rest are wireless. I can be streaming Hulu Plus in 720P on my 42 inch television while the kids are chatting and doing Facebook stuff and the DSL keeps up with it all.
I was on Directway satellite until it became HughesNet and they implemented a 100 megabyte limit on downloads before they would time you out and put you at the bottom of the heap for a day or two. DSL has met all my needs well.
post #105 of 120 Old 02-10-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Been without cable for 3 years and without a land line for 10 years.

Don't miss either. Use OTA, Hulu and Netflix. Too much junk out there anyway and with Texas' gorgeous weather, we're happier outside (and on the inside!).
post #106 of 120 Old 02-10-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five28 View Post

"If all you want is the local OTA channels sure this is the cheapest way to go. Don't forget to ground your antenna."

How does one go about grounding a large rooftop antenna?

Very simple, install it in the attic, provided that you have a high/steep rooftop.
post #107 of 120 Old 02-14-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner View Post

Been without cable for 3 years and without a land line for 10 years.

Don't miss either. Use OTA, Hulu and Netflix. Too much junk out there anyway and with Texas' gorgeous weather, we're happier outside (and on the inside!).

+1. My choice isn't about money. We get plenty of entertainment with OTA/Netflix/Amazon (and better PQ and much better controls via WMC + Roku than any cableco DVR I've used) - and more incentive to spend time outside since everything is 'time-shifted' anyway.

We still have a landline - cheap VOIP service. Only person that ever calls it is the mother-in-law, and it routes her directly to voicemail. That's alone is worth way, way more than I pay for it.
post #108 of 120 Old 02-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by technikal View Post

+1. My choice isn't about money. We get plenty of entertainment with OTA/Netflix/Amazon (and better PQ and much better controls via WMC + Roku than any cableco DVR I've used) - and more incentive to spend time outside since everything is 'time-shifted' anyway.

We still have a landline - cheap VOIP service. Only person that ever calls it is the mother-in-law, and it routes her directly to voicemail. That's alone is worth way, way more than I pay for it.

Ditto. Saving the money is nice, but it's not the reason I did it.
post #109 of 120 Old 02-14-2012, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
I recently fired DirecTV and got a TiVo box for $20 a month. Goes down to $15 in a year. I got fed up with jacking around with a stupid computer for HD OTA and figured $15 was worth it for pain free DVR service. TiVo does Netflix and Hulu, although not as slick as AppleTV

Fired Comcast too and switched to CenturyLink DSL. Service is about the same as comcast.

All in all, happy with the switch and about $120 less hit to the monthly budget.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #110 of 120 Old 02-15-2012, 12:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I've been without TV of any kind for a good six or seven years now. I don't even think about it anymore as something I am giving up. TV is a vast time suckage device really, not to mention a vast brain cell suckage device. I have a Netflix subscription to watch movies.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #111 of 120 Old 02-16-2012, 04:46 PM

Good for you for going cold turkey. You have bigger cahunas than I do.
Cheers, Pete.
post #112 of 120 Old 02-22-2012, 07:42 AM

I still have cable but don'T really use it too much.
post #113 of 120 Old 02-28-2012, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The cable channels that I used to like now show mostly reality show trash which I have no interest in. I put up an antenna and was surprised to find that I could receive 33 channels. Over the last 6 months I've discovered that we watch the antenna programs far more than the low quality mess that cable has transformed itself into. So I've decided to cut the cord too.
post #114 of 120 Old 02-29-2012, 06:18 AM

I never got into sports (when I was a kid, sporting events were mostly thought of programming that interrupted the shows that I really wanted to see; I remember so many times having the last clock minute or two of a basketball game running for half an hour, effectively canceling the show that I wanted to see), so that was never an issue for cable-cutting.

Basically, when I went to grad school in '05, I found myself without much free time, and that was the year that I stopped watching cable. I still *had* cable during that time as part of my apartment lease, but it didn't get much use. Once I got out, I tried watching cable again, and realized that I no longer had the patience to watch 9 minutes of commercials per 21 minutes of programming. The thought of paying $50 a month (or more) for that just seems silly.

I've never had a cable bill in my adult life, and I doubt that I ever will. Give me netflix and Blu-Rays. My TV days are long over.
post #115 of 120 Old 03-06-2012, 09:56 PM

Good Thread. Thought I'd toss in my 2 cents. We had the three pack, TV, Internet & phone with BH for ~$140/Mo. Around 2008 I slowly began to notice that I couldn't find anything to watch on the 100 channels we had. My favorite channels had deteriorated. History Channel had become the 24 hour "Hitler channel", Discovery had become the "Shark Attack" network, and the Science Channel had devolved into the "Earth is going to be destroyed by a giant comet channel". My wife agreed that there wasn't very much we wanted to watch any more that wasn't available OTA. When the economy tanked in 2008 we took the plunge and I dropped the TV service, saving us $60/Mo. We started with an old VCR, but soon after I set up an HTPC for recording OTA shows which works beautifully. I get two cities at VG to EX quality signal. Initial costs were about $1000 for antennas, rigging, boosters, PC, tuners and other misc. All paid for within 16 months. Since then we also dropped the IP phone service from BH for an different IP phone service. The new service is actually more expensive than the bundle of phone/internet from BH (new service $6 more a month), but it offers a whole lot more bang for the buck. BH phone service (at least at that time) had very few extras. We also use Netflix for a few cable TV shows that have popped up that we enjoy. With Netflix, our kids are getting to watch many of the shows that my wife and I grew up with that we know are not all sex/drugs/death like so much on even OTA TV now. We also like that if we do find a show we like on Netflix, whether a cable or an OTA production, we can watch an entire season instead of waiting for each episode. Oh, and I don't care about sports. It isn't for everybody, but we're very happy we made the switch.
post #116 of 120 Old 03-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDing View Post

My wife agreed that there wasn't very much we wanted to watch any more that wasn't available OTA. .

Read an article on Boxee a while back that claims 87 of the top 100 shows are major networks, so free OTA. Obvioulsy, they are trying to sell BoxeeLive, so not sure of he source of accuracy of this stat.
post #117 of 120 Old 03-07-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post

Read an article on Boxee a while back that claims 87 of the top 100 shows are major networks, so free OTA. Obvioulsy, they are trying to sell BoxeeLive, so not sure of he source of accuracy of this stat.

We also have a Boxee Box. Got it on sale for $100, so I couldn't pass it up. At present we rarely use it, so I did not mention it above. Honestly we haven't spent too much time exploring all its channels, so I can't properly give an opinion on its internet media functions. I do use it for the Revision 3 network on occasion, which works fantastic (nice picture). I have to say that the OTA tuner feature of the BB is nice, but without a DVR function it's a bit neutered. Now if they are able to upgrade the firmware to include DVR functions (using an external drive) and support at least 3 tuners simultaneously (watch one show while recording two others), I think sales of the BB will skyrocket for that feature set alone. It would be the minimalist setup of choice! Just my opinion.
post #118 of 120 Old 03-12-2012, 04:49 AM
Advanced Member

Looks like the new $50 Netgear NTV (http://www.netgear.com/ntv) may be a nice solution for cord cutters. May make it tough for vizio to sell it's upcoming box at double the price
post #119 of 120 Old 04-06-2012, 10:51 AM

Liked: 34
I have ITA, Apple TV, HuLu+, and Netflix. I have always found something interesting to watch. I have saved a ocean full of money not paying for cable or satellite. Can I get an Amen!!!

X-Box Live name: OGgamer1974

If you want to be friends on through xbox network, just send me a request through X-Box Live and mention AVS in the request.

Cheers
post #120 of 120 Old 04-06-2012, 03:11 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bone2006 View Post

Interesting. I was under the impression that the networks got smart and encrypted everything. I used to enjoy in the late 80's early 90's watching ANYTHING you wanted on satellite for free including playboy, which was heaven for a teenage boy . I also used to love "wild feeds" watching Dan Rather get ready for the news practicing his lines and talking to people.

Well, you can't get everything like I understand you could back then. There are, however a lot of wild feeds and backhauls, which I use during football season mostly, and occasionally for boxing.

Right now I get maybe three premium channels and a lot of networks and plenty of classic tv and unusual stations. I get maybe a dozen high def stations, with that number growing fast.

Works for me. Once again I am not hacking. It is free programming. You can't beat free.
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page