Is Windows Media Center Alive? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 117 Old 02-25-2012, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I really loved 7MC with Media Browser, but it's just too brittle has too many moving parts.

Nothing against Shark, but this is exhibit one:

Along with:
- Lack of reliable subtitle manipulation from a remote (very important for me)
- Service packs breaking things

However, the final straw was the loss of Media Center Studio and Microsoft's lack of a substitute for it. I was at a MS conference where a developer was demonstrating tools for manipulating MC menus and textures on embedded Win7.

I asked when these tools would be available on Win 7 - his answer; never.
He told me that MS was not interested in a development effort towards playback of local media storage.

I moved to XBMC, and while it's far from perfect, it has given me a better overall experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 117 Old 02-25-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjuku View Post

Yep, one of the things MS does a better job of than almost anybody else and it is going to whither on the vine.

Good call. We use the Windows 7 media center as a TV tuner as well. Outside of TV tuning, it doesn't have much of a role outside of the computer that is hooked up to your telly. For example, I installed Windows 7 on my laptop, but only use the media center for live TV (which it does do an excellent job of). On the other hand, the Dell next to the television runs Media center almost more than any other program since it is our primary TV tuner (the HDTV set it is attached to has no integrated HD tuner).

Quote:

...- Lack of reliable subtitle manipulation from a remote (very important for me)...

If you have a remote, press "more info", and then scroll over to "captions"

Quote:

I moved to XBMC, and while it's far from perfect, it has given me a better overall experience.

I use XBMC too, but not for Windows. The lack of live television capability is a huge turnoff, and it just seems redundant. It's just what Xbox users need, but on Windows I never even had the ambition to look into it.

- 2B
post #33 of 117 Old 02-25-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlievoviii View Post

XBMC make Windows Media look like a baby toy.

Well that's not really true.

They are both very nice when setup and configured properly. I use both.

Edit: This is my actual HTPC.

post #34 of 117 Old 02-25-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesfullup View Post

I really loved 7MC with Media Browser, but it's just too brittle has too many moving parts.

Nothing against Shark, but this is exhibit one

What you use as exhibit one is a totally automated TAB.
Nothing for you to do there unless you want to bitstream audio, then its a single click to set it up.

Most all playback will work with a default installation of my codecs and making one selection,
the [x] SUGGESTED settings checkbox.
IF you have a troublesome file, my Setup and usage page will solve it.

I'm sorry that giving you choice over how your playback is handled has confused you so much.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #35 of 117 Old 02-25-2012, 08:00 PM

Hi Shark,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

I'm sorry that giving you choice over how your playback is handled has confused you so much.

No need to apologize. It's the panoply of options (~x2 for x64) that cause complexity and confusion.

Considering your sig "Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity" -

I would agree that the design of 7MC and its player is indeed insane.
post #36 of 117 Old 02-26-2012, 03:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by elockett View Post

an interesting pair of items to keep an eye on are Ceton's pending Q tuner server and Echo extender, as preliminary information suggests they will function more like dedicated media players as opposed to tuner-only devices. There are threads on both products that normally stay toward the top of the HTPC forum.

The Q if anything, is the next generation of WMC. If you've seen the videos of it in action it's easy to see how it takes WMC and builds on the basics to take advantage of popular streaming services like Netflix and Pandora. It also expands the software to enable more customization and offer interoperability to other platforms like Android.

post #37 of 117 Old 02-26-2012, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

The Q if anything, is the next generation of WMC. If you've seen the videos of it in action it's easy to see how it takes WMC and builds on the basics to take advantage of popular streaming services like Netflix and Pandora. It also expands the software to enable more customization and offer interoperability to other platforms like Android.

Honestly, I'm quite afraid of MS screwing everything up with Windows 8, given the steep downhill decline they've been headed down the last few years.

- 2B
post #38 of 117 Old 02-26-2012, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I did see a video of the Q (CES demonstration IMS-I attended CES and it's my bad for not being aware Ceton was showing there ) and it does indeed look like a polished version of WMC, but is it actually based on WMC software? I haven't followed the Q/Echo in depth because I'm waiting for them to actually come to market to definitively know what they can and cannot do.
post #39 of 117 Old 02-26-2012, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by scokat916 View Post

The ability to record new episodes only does not exist in the current version of JRiver Media Center. They are working on implementing this feature sometime in the future. Until then, I have to stick with MCE.

I didn't know that and agree that the ability to only record new episodes is important. In all fairness to JRMC they only released their grid view programming guide recently so I suspect it will take some time to work as well as WMC's guide does. FYI, not even WMC implements new recording only perfectly. A few shows will record new and repeat even though I set new only. It's not that big a deal but I suspect it speaks to the difficulty of programming tuner software to work flawlessly.
post #40 of 117 Old 02-26-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

biggest issue I found with mc it lacks alot of things that it actually needs..

the tv streaming is a mandatory thing that requires a server option..

sony needs to look into plugin support aswell...
post #41 of 117 Old 02-26-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:

I second that
post #42 of 117 Old 02-26-2012, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My caveat to my post is I dont use my HTPC for live TV. Only as a media server. That said, WMC + properly configured Shark codecs + MP3tag + Virtual Clone Drive + Mikinho Mount Image = playback of 99.9% of anything I throw at it including .iso, flac, and DVD rips.
post #43 of 117 Old 02-26-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by elockett View Post

I did see a video of the Q (CES demonstration IMS-I attended CES and it's my bad for not being aware Ceton was showing there ) and it does indeed look like a polished version of WMC, but is it actually based on WMC software? I haven't followed the Q/Echo in depth because I'm waiting for them to actually come to market to definitively know what they can and cannot do.

Yes it's a enhanced version of WMC embedded.

You can watch a good run through of some of the features and multi-room streaming capabilities of a recent version of the Q here:

post #44 of 117 Old 02-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
The closest way to integrate Pandora with WMC appears to be throught the Kylo web browser plugin. By the way, Kylo is the only way I can tolerate web browsing on a windows tablet. Pretty under-appreciated app.

hjackson
post #45 of 117 Old 02-27-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:

Too each their own. I tried an XBMC / Ubuntu build and still incredulous how people can think it has MCE beat.

The failure is partially MS and partially outfits like Hulu fault. I would get on the HULU+ bandwagon if they integrated a native player. That is all that I think is missing is integration from the likes of HULU/Pandora etc...

Forcing me to open up a browser when I have a ten foot tall interface is just absurd. And this stuff can be done correctly. Look at My Movies. That is a stellar example of not for profit piece of programming that puts commercial efforts to shame.

MS should have also offered a $60 add-on option in the form of a CODEC for BR Playback.

I know the department heads at MS have thought of this stuff. It just boggles the mind that you can go over this in internal sales/marketing/engineering meetings and realize it's an obvious development track to take and then NOT take it. They developed Encrypted QAM cable support for petes sake. THAT was probably 20 times more effort than getting Hulu, Vudu, Pandora etc.... integrated by just building relationships. Those players HAVE to want the same entree that Netflix enjoys in MCE.

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

post #46 of 117 Old 02-27-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:

xbmc make windows media look like a baby toy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsatras View Post

i second that

+ 3
post #47 of 117 Old 02-28-2012, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
WMC died (for me) the day I bought a brand new PC last summer. I started WMC, put in a blu-ray and watched the HP installed software start-up to run the disc. After attempting to force WMC to start the blu-ray, I contacted Microsoft, which told me WMC can't play a blu-ray disc, you need a 3rd part tool.

Really? Microsoft either has to do everything or the idea of being the center of a family's media world is dead.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #48 of 117 Old 02-28-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post

WMC died (for me) the day I bought a brand new PC last summer. I started WMC, put in a blu-ray and watched the HP installed software start-up to run the disc. After attempting to force WMC to start the blu-ray, I contacted Microsoft, which told me WMC can't play a blu-ray disc, you need a 3rd part tool.

Really? Microsoft either has to do everything or the idea of being the center of a family's media world is dead.

So, because youre disappointed MS needs a 3rd party software to play bluray, you move to a 3rd party software to play bluray?

mmkay.

Its great we have choices, yes?
post #49 of 117 Old 02-28-2012, 08:41 AM

i really just hoped they would add "app" windows like xbox 360 has for windows 8. if they did that and have control with my remote...then i would be a very happy camper. hbo go from a metro button, then back out and go straight to live tv through another button...

this is all that would make me happy...

http://myquest4happiness.blogspot.com/
its my blog about bmw's, primal eating, pc gaming...whatever i feel like :)
post #50 of 117 Old 02-28-2012, 09:58 AM

Liked: 14
I have been using my HTPC with WMC plus Media Browser and the shark codec pack. It is all working so good. I can play blue ray rips with MPCHC all started from WMC-Media browser what is not to like!

Thanks to all the people who make WMC awesome.I had thought about trying XBMC but why bother. WMC /Media browser is awesome.

FSChris
ASROCK H67 GE / HT
Core i3

Carver AV-705 5Channel AMP
Zaph 2.5MM TT'S DIY

Emotiva XPA3

Emotiva UMC 200

2 x MFW 15 Clones DIY

post #51 of 117 Old 02-28-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Has MS released a hardware mod to upgrade the 360 or are the y goimg to go the route of the 720 to implement bd media..

haven't seen win 8 yet just hit win 7... i get cranky if i have to jumping bloody os's all the time..

I currently run 3 vista lappies a 1 win7 just worked out how to network vista and 360, ps3 still shits me off..
not to mention trying to sync up older console to boot.. life is grand ain't it..
post #52 of 117 Old 02-28-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:

get PowerDVD 11. It's WMC integration is awesome, and you can bitstream HD audio over HDMI for ATI cards.
post #53 of 117 Old 02-28-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:

My solution to that problem is to just not use BlueRay discs.

- 2 Bunny
post #54 of 117 Old 02-29-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackangst View Post

So, because youre disappointed MS needs a 3rd party software to play bluray, you move to a 3rd party software to play bluray?

mmkay.

Its great we have choices, yes?

What?? I'm disappointed because ONE program should do ALL my media. I shouldn't have to tell my five year old to remember when putting in a Blu-Ray to switch to VLC and for playing a CD to switch to something else. It should just work and that's why MMC is dying, or already dead.

post #55 of 117 Old 02-29-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanC View Post

get PowerDVD 11. It's WMC integration is awesome, and you can bitstream HD audio over HDMI for ATI cards.

Does it play inside of WMC (e.g. my whole family can do everything from within media center and don't have to launch a separate program)? I do have an ATI card and HDMI outputs on my PC.
Thanks.

post #56 of 117 Old 02-29-2012, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I use ArcSoft TotalMediaCenter or soemthing like that for Blu-rays), but I bought that because I wanted to create ISO's. It's not a pleasant experience starting it (like launching any external app). Screen goes blank and then blue and then app starts and I eventually get Blu-ray menu. I don;t have a problem using a proper blu-ray for rentals, as they're so cheap.
post #57 of 117 Old 02-29-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:

What?? I'm disappointed because ONE program should do ALL my media. I shouldn't have to tell my five year old to remember when putting in a Blu-Ray to switch to VLC and for playing a CD to switch to something else. It should just work and that's why MMC is dying, or already dead.

I meant do disrespect. I *do* agree with you there *should* be one product to play everything. But there isnt. The fact that WMC doesnt play everything out of the box is Microsoft's unwillingness to include codecs. Thats it, really. Add codecs, format said codecs, and it works. As I said in my previous post...it's great we have choices. Some like one thing, some like another. Right? But your implication that WMC is dead or dying because it doesnt work is false.
post #58 of 117 Old 03-03-2012, 03:21 PM

Liked: 14
I wonder if Microsoft understands how awesome WMC is and how many great apps they could make and heck even maybe charge for if they were worth it. I despise apple but thats what they do. They intergrate WMC into Windows so I dont understand how they can quantify how many people are using it.

Or they just don't care... Not sure. WMC could be HUGE if they had some dedicated team to it.

FSChris
ASROCK H67 GE / HT
Core i3

Carver AV-705 5Channel AMP
Zaph 2.5MM TT'S DIY

Emotiva XPA3

Emotiva UMC 200

2 x MFW 15 Clones DIY

post #59 of 117 Old 03-04-2012, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

I just installed Windows 8 and WMC looks exactly the same from the brief play I had with it. I was expecting something really fancy, but I guess if it anin't broke don't fix it. Maybe I should be relieved instead of disappointed :-)
post #60 of 117 Old 03-04-2012, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesfullup View Post

How's the EPG on XMBC and do you know if it works with silcon dust?
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page