Home Theater Cruise Setting Sail - November 25th 2012! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 46 Old 03-14-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43

Home Theater Cruise Is Currently At Sea!

Not sure if you may be aware, but a theme cruise happens once a year called the Home Theater Cruise. A theme based cruise that brings people together that have a like interest. In this case, home audio and video. During the cruise not only can you meet with other members of the community, but also attend conferences on board on various topics.

So this is just a quick note that the Home Theater Cruise is setting sail to the Eastern Caribbean for the 2012 voyage. We have set up a 7-night cruise aboard the wonderful Royal Caribbean Allure Of The Seas, the largest cruise ship at sea!

Setting sail from Ft Lauderdale, Florida, on November 25th, 2012, we will stop at the ports of Nassau Bahamas, St Thomas, and St Maarten! Of course we have home theater related conferences on board with special guests from around the industry. These conferences are still in the planning stages, but we have already received word from Joe Kane that he will of course be back to give a talk.

So if you are looking to vacation this year, and have not yet already made plans or not yet booked with us, please consider joining the Home Theater Cruise event. Full information can be found at our Home Theater Cruise site and cabins are already starting to fill. You can reach out to our travel agent Cherie Isik, of Anchors Away Cruise Center, at 800-738-8613 for current cabin rates and availability. (Reminder: As a group event, you must book via our travel agency.)

We are also happy to say we again will be supporting our "wounded warriors" by having an auction for home theater gear on the last night of the voyage to benefit the Segs4Vets foundation. 100 percent of the funds raised goes to help wounded veterans via this foundation. For more information on Segs4Vets please visit... http://www.Segs4Vets.org. Along this line, we are also happy to announce that we are providing discounts to anyone who is a veteran or is currently an active armed forces member that may be looking to sail with is. (Proper ID required.) Please discuss with Cherie for more information.

Looking forward to welcoming you aboard on November 25, 2012!!!

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 03-15-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Reserved a cabin last evening with Cherie, David. Need to call her soon to make it official.
post #3 of 46 Old 03-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Nice. I have never been on a cruise in my life time. :-)
post #4 of 46 Old 09-29-2012, 07:39 PM

I've called and left messages with Cherie's office over the last couple of weeks... no response.

Suggestions?
post #5 of 46 Old 09-30-2012, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Hi....

I am sorry to read that. Can you please PM me your contact information and I will be sure to find out what is going on.

Thank you.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #6 of 46 Old 10-01-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Home Theater cruise welcome AVS Member Dennis Erskine aboard.....

Theater Design Workshop
Presented by Dennis Erskine

We will briefly review the industry best practices documents for home theater (documents will be provided in advance of the class) and discuss questions from the group. At that point, the class will break up into small work groups to design a room based upon a design challenge. Each group will present their solution to the class for comments. We will discuss the various approaches, solution sets, and select a winning group. In the final hour of the course, participants currently in the design process of their own rooms can present their plans and receive the suggestions and ideas from class members who have “been there, done that”. Drawing tools and worksheets will be provided.

Thanks Dennis for joining us!!!

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #7 of 46 Old 10-01-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The 2012 event Conferences as of 10/1/2012

Theater Design Workshop (4 hours)
Presented by Dennis Erskine
We will briefly review the industry best practices documents for home theater (documents will be provided in advance of the class) and discuss questions from the group. At that point, the class will break up into small work groups to design a room based upon a design challenge. Each group will present their solution to the class for comments. We will discuss the various approaches, solution sets, and select a winning group. In the final hour of the course, participants currently in the design process of their own rooms can present their plans and receive the suggestions and ideas from class members who have “been there, done that”. Drawing tools and worksheets will be provided.

Joe Kane
The industry’s video guru, will present Joe Kane's Take On Current Display Technology And Proof Of Performance combined with What Are You Really Getting For Your Money?

Wireless Loudspeaker And Audio –– The Future
Presented by Jim Venable, President of the WiSA Association
This will be a two-part presentation covering the WiSA Association. Part one will cover the background, charter, organization, and rationale. While part two part will cover the underlying wireless loudspeaker and audio technology and the procedures of WiSA compliance and testing.

The Not Too Distant Future – 4K Display Technology
Presented by Richard "Rick" Dean, THX, Ltd.
Home theaters have continually taken their cue from cinemas; the move from film-based content to digital, along with 3D technology, were both major shifts in the industry. Home theater is starting to take the lead with the move towards 4K technology. As this technology becomes more prevalent in projectors on the market, how can manufacturers differentiate and ensure a high quality entertainment experience? This session will outline what technologies, testing and quality control processes manufacturers, standards organizations and third-party technology companies can deliver to help differentiate and deliver the best possible home theater experience through future projectors. Topics that will be addressed include:
• The market factors that will contribute to 4K, High Frame Display and 3D adoption in the ProAV and CE markets
• Bridge technologies aiding in 4K adoption
• Standards and certifications for 4K and 3D in the home
• Third-party technologies improving the 4K and 3D user experience
• Technologies that simplify the user experience, preserve artistic intent, yet allow consumers to take advantage of all the cool features in future projector products

Beyond ABX: Scientific Credibility For High End Audio
Presented by David Salz, President of Wireworld Cable Technology
David will discuss recent developments in audio testing. ABX style listening tests are often cited as proving that upgrade cables and amplifiers don’t really improve sound quality, despite the possibility that the test methods were simply inadequate. For decades, those claims have shed a negative light on our industry, suggesting that many HiFi manufacturers are selling snake oil. The big news on this issue is that a major university study, utilizing Wireworld’s newly improved double-blind listening tests, is providing the first scientific proof that superior cables and electronics actually improve sound quality.

The Evolution of Multi-Channel Audio
Presented by Keith Burnett, Vice President Home A/V & Automotive at DTS, Inc.
In this presentation, Keith will discuss the evolution of multi-channel audio, starting with the DTS HD Master Audio, a lossless audio format that makes sound more dynamic, realistic and exact to the original audio master. He’ll also discuss Neo:X™, the world’s first 11.1 surround sound technology, which supports configurations for the next generation of immersive 3D entertainment. Neo:X technology expands sound to a three dimensional plane, creating an immersive, high-definition audio experience in the comfort of your home. Finally, Keith will provide a sneak peak of how DTS continues to innovate audio technologies to deliver consumers high-quality audio experience regardless of the platform and content format.

Projection Screen Solutions
Presented by Joaquin Rivera of Stewart Filmscreen
An exploration of new and exciting applications for projection screens; including how 3D and 4k are changing the dedicated home theater room experience. How to design compelling "living room" systems that blow away your flat-panel TV. And, how projection screens can be used to create the ultimate outdoor living spaces. Stewart Filmscreen, the industry leader in custom screen technologies, will help attendees understand how projection systems can be utilized for almost any room or environment

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #8 of 46 Old 10-20-2012, 07:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anyone getting excited about going yet? I know I am! This will be my second time on the Allure of the Seas and I am looking forward to going again! We sailed on the Oasis of the Seas earlier in the year as well and both ships are almost identical, although by mistake the Allure is 2 inches bigger, making it the biggest cruise ship at sea!

So who else is going?

Scott
SatelliteGuys.US / MultiChannel News
post #9 of 46 Old 10-20-2012, 08:31 PM

I just booked a room with an outward looking balcony where my spouse can relax and read to her soul's contentment.

This will be our first trip to the eastern Caribbean islands.

We went on the Alaskan Home Theater Cruise about 5 years ago.

I really enjoyed the speakers and presentations, but the most fun and best memories were created at the unofficial event of watching and hearing "Pirates of the Caribbean" in the evening on a ship gently rolling on the sea, in a private theater setup with the latest equipment, in the company of other home theater enthusiasts.

I hope that the "unofficial movie watching" has become a tradition of the Home Theater Cruises.

See you there,

Richard Behling
Sugar Land, Texas
smile.gif
post #10 of 46 Old 11-13-2012, 01:47 PM

I want make sure that my cruise line activity reservations do not conflict with the HT Events.

Can you post the exact times and dates that each of the HT Events are scheduled to begin and end?
post #11 of 46 Old 11-13-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Hi...

Was going to send out an email tomorrow, so you are right on track. smile.gif (Just be sure you are on the mailing list on the http://HomeTheaterCruise.com site.

But here it is...

HT Cruise 2012 Event List Times.pdf 259k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HT Cruise 2012 Event List Times.pdf (259.4 KB, 21 views)

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #12 of 46 Old 11-22-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Sea you all on Sunday. I plan to be wearing my Home Theater Cruise charter voyage shirt. smile.gif
post #13 of 46 Old 11-22-2012, 10:36 PM

I'm bringing the new Lawrence of Arabia BD
post #14 of 46 Old 11-23-2012, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Sea you all on Sunday. I plan to be wearing my Home Theater Cruise charter voyage shirt. smile.gif

The 2002 Shirt!!!! WOW!!!! I still drink from the coffee mug. wink.gif

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #15 of 46 Old 11-23-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

I have two Home Theater Cruise polo shirts as well. smile.gif

Leaving for FT Lauderdale at 5am tomorrow... can't wait!

David and Don you guys have my number... if you get bored tomorrow give me a call we are staying the night at the Hyatt Regency Pier 66. smile.gif

Scott
post #16 of 46 Old 11-24-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Ahh the weather is so nice here! Just sitting out on my deck at the Hyatt Pier 66 and looking at all the cruise ships in dock.

Scott
post #17 of 46 Old 11-24-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

I think you snowbirds brought some of the CT COLD with you. Was supposed to be 10 degrees warmer. This is January weather, Scott.
post #18 of 46 Old 11-26-2012, 06:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hey it's nice weather for us. smile.gif

Had a nice time meeting everyone tonight at the HTF party.

Scott
post #19 of 46 Old 11-26-2012, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Greczkowski View Post

Hey it's nice weather for us. smile.gif

Had a nice time meeting everyone tonight at the HTF party.

I think you meant HTC (Home Theater Cruise) party. smile.gif

Yes, it was great to welcome all of our guests onboard for out 10 sailing. Tomorrow starts the first series of conferences.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #20 of 46 Old 11-27-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Doh! Dang fat fingers on the iPhone!

Getting ready for the first of two presentations by Joe Kane. Hearing Joe speak and learning from him is almost worth the price of the cruise alone.

Scott
post #21 of 46 Old 11-27-2012, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The start of the conferences did not go off without some issues despite being ready the night before. Issue at hand...The need to change cables to add a two way HDMI splitter. As a result, in in typical HDMI fashion, we had issues keeping sync. It also might not help that all the items provided from the sponsors were either prototypes or are so new to the market, meaning we got like the first one for the cruise, we had not had a chance to play with it before had. But hay, it all is working for the most port and I am sure we will be great once we can make some adjustments.

Joe Kane is now presenting.

Joe Kane is currently speaking on how some TV set manufacturers are stil using 2.2 gama from the black and white days which is dead wrong.

ITU less then a year ago set 2.4 as the proper gama for todays video.

All in all...we are off and learning!

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #22 of 46 Old 11-27-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Dang David your pics are telling me I am really going bald quick.

We are now an hour and a half into Joe Kane's first seminar and it is so interesting it seems like its only been 15 minutes long.

Learned a lot if things so far including the importance of adjusting the gamma of a HDTV. I never knew what gamma was on my sets so I never adjusted it. Now I know what proper gamma should be. And I also know what a big difference that adjustment makes with the picture quality.

Good stuff!

Scott
post #23 of 46 Old 11-27-2012, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Ok, we have onboard one of the FIRST Epson 5020UBE projectors. Out of the box, this is is one impressive projector. Now those of you that know me, know I am not one to say things just because someone is a sponsor of this site or even the cruise itself. So with that said. I will say that for the price point and brightness of this projector, it is simply outstanding. And this is out of the box.

In THX mode is set at 2.2 gama as Joe pointed out. It seems that THX still uses this. But switching out of THX mode Epson does have the 2.4 their for you. smile.gif

All in all, impressed. Will will be doing movies nights, so it should be fun.

Special thanks to Epson for sending us one of the first units to have this for our sailing guests and also for allowing us to auction it for the Segs4Vets foundation.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #24 of 46 Old 11-27-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

I have been impressed with the projector as well David. So far in Joe Kane's presentation the settings have been perfect out of the box which is.even surprising Joe.

Scott
post #25 of 46 Old 11-27-2012, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Forgot to post some images from the Welcome Aboard Party. Hope this one is better for you Scott. smile.gif

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #26 of 46 Old 11-27-2012, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Now have gone into the presentation from WiSA. They are showing how making standards for the wireless audio world is needed and how now is the time for adoption of a wireless standard from the manufacturers so we can simply mix and match receivers and spakers for HD wireless audio.

We have onboard a complete 7.1 system from Aperion Audio. Each speaker has a builtin class D amp matched and crossed for the speakers. When I first opened up the conferences, I played the opening to the 7.1 release of Coldplay Live 2012. At the end I mentioned what that just heard was a wireless system. Their were "No Way's" from the audience until I pointed out that the only wires you see are the power wires to each speaker. It was amazing.

So guys...no longer do you need to worry about how to run speaker wires to a give place. And if your wife wants to move the room around, you can. smile.gif

More Info About WiSA - Tell your favorite speaker company, receiver, or TV maker about it. Let's get it all to work together with a standard. I know my wife would be happy.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #27 of 46 Old 11-27-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Hearing is believing and we all felt like we were sitting in the middle of a Coldplay concert.

They have shown that wireless is the future of multichannel audio.

Scott
post #28 of 46 Old 11-27-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Learning about projector screens now from Stewart Filmscreens.

Actually a lot to learn about here and now I am considering a new Firehawk screen from Stewart Filmscreens.

Scott
post #29 of 46 Old 11-27-2012, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott View Post

Forgot to post some images from the Welcome Aboard Party. Hope this one is better for you Scott. smile.gif

I Know 2 of those couples in front on the first shot, sounds like a good time, hope to see some of you again at CES. smile.gif
post #30 of 46 Old 11-27-2012, 07:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

I got to admit I have been on a lot of cruises, but I think I can honestly say that this was one of the best days I have had at sea in a long long time.

First off the day started with the presentation from Joe Kane. That three hours flew by so quick and I learned things about calibration that I can't wait to go home and try on all my sets. I have been a big fan of Joe's for years and I think I own a copy of Joes Video Essential series in every format it was released in. To get caibration tips from the man himself in person with his easy to understand approach to making calibration better is so cool. I got to talk to Joe tonight and he loves to talk about the Home Theater Industry. He has a true passion for the industry and you can tell he worked hard to get to where he is now. I think its safe to say that Joe Kane should be considered a pioneer of television if not the digital age of television.

I wasn't planning on attending the Wireless Speaker demo... but I am glad I did. Here I learned a lot as well and am excited about the future of MultiChannel audio. I wish this technology existed years ago when I installed my 7.1 system at home as my wife and I faught about the wires. With this new Wireless Technology that fight is a thing of the past. Plus I thought it was neat how the speakers self calibrated themselves.

And I also stayed for the last presentation of the day which was from Stewart Filmscreen. Now I wasnt in the market for a new screen, in fact I was hapy with my Sony Projector and the screen it came with... until today. I think this presentation proved why Stewart Filmscreen is considered the best. And now I crave a new screen. Maybe I will be able to get one someday.

And while the presentations were all excellent for me the best part of the day was the networking at the end of the night. We all met in one of the ships pubs for a drink and had a great time. I loved being able to talk to everyone and find out there are real good people out there behind their keyboards. Talking to them in person and find the real people and learing about them and talking with them about various things in and out of the industry was the highlight for me today. I also loved talking with David about forum running stories which was great. It was nice to know that I was not alone with some of the issues I have run into in the past as a forum owner. I do hope I can pick his brain more on this trip... because I learned a long time ago it is always the best to learn from the best! Loved chatting with Gary and his wife, Don Landis and his wife and many others who joined us for the night of fun.

Tomorrow we will be in St. Thomas so the only event planned is a cocktail party which I will be sponsoring on behalf of SatelliteGuys.COM. I am looking forward to it and talking to everyone more and also with the folks I havent had a chance to talk to or meet yet.

I am having a great time and just today along was well worth the money for this trip. The only downside I see is that is that tomorrow is already day 4 on this trip, its all going by way to fast!

Scott
Reply Community News & Polls