AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Community News & Polls (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/92-community-news-polls/)
-   -   Mirage MMS-2 Media Server Review (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/92-community-news-polls/1403770-mirage-mms-2-media-server-review.html)

Bob Hetherington 04-04-2012 03:28 PM

Mirage MMS-2 Media Server Review
Mark Anderson

There's a good chance you may not have heard of Autonomic Controls unless you're in the custom installation business. Their Mirage Media Server could change all that. I took an MMS-2 Media server (the MMS-5's little brother) for a spin for several weeks and here's what I found.

The MMS-2 is a 2-zone version of the large MMS-5 media server. It's equipped with a 500GB internal hard disk, supports external USB drives, and can playback music from network devices such as NAS drives. (The MMS-5 will support USB audio input). As far as audio goes it contains a 5.1 channel HD audio processor (although 5.1 digital content is hard to come by, so I'm not sure how useful this will be) and a 24bit/96kHz DAC.

Read the complete article at the new and improved HomeToys.com

altcool 04-05-2012 09:42 AM

MSRP is $1,995 and they charge $20 for the Iphone app and $50 for the Ipad app.

What does the MMS-2 do, "playback music from network devices such as NAS drives"

Dominic414 04-05-2012 01:55 PM

This must be a joke or a typo... 1,995 for a "media" server that can only do audio.
It has a nice and polished interface though... apple fans, I think this company wants your money!

Vic C 04-05-2012 03:28 PM

Get a good network receiver or preamp and do all the same stuff with out spending an additional amout of money.

Mirage makes Ok speakers for big $$$$ Looks like they are going the samea route with this "thing"

Somewhatlost 04-05-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic C View Post

Get a good network receiver or preamp and do all the same stuff with out spending an additional amout of money.

I haven't seen one receiver or preamp that even comes close to Sonos, and this looks a bit nicer than Sonos...
can you provide an example of a receiver or preamp with anything that even remotely resembles a decent UI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic C View Post

Mirage makes Ok speakers for big $$$$ Looks like they are going the samea route with this "thing"

Just curious, but what does Autonomic Controls have to do with Mirage Speakers?
not sure where you are going with this?

dnnone 04-06-2012 06:01 AM

It look like $150 bare-bone computer with Media server installed, plus Pandora streaming.

mark_anderson_u 04-07-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic414 View Post

This must be a joke or a typo... 1,995 for a "media" server that can only do audio.
It has a nice and polished interface though... apple fans, I think this company wants your money!

I have Sonos and love it, but if you want to integrate it with crestron. Control4, et al. you're hosed. I know ExtraVegetables has a $499 control4 plug-in that works pretty well and I have a plu-in for HomeSeer, but it's not the same as using the native UI. The MMS-2 is really designed for a 2nd home and the cloud sync stuff is great for that

mark_anderson_u 04-07-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhatlost View Post

I

Just curious, but what does Autonomic Controls have to do with Mirage Speakers?
not sure where you are going with this?

Nothing

Veeper 04-09-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic414 View Post

This. I think even my Zino does as much if not more than this thing.

But wait! It has 720p output. That's 719p more than 1p output, so you know, that's worth at least $845 right there.

snookin 04-11-2012 04:28 PM

Holy Ripoff.