AVS Avatar Contest! Submit your own custom avatar for the redesigned site - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 104 Old 04-26-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Kosty,

Is this an offical AVS request? By the way you brought up many good points.

Thanks,

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
DirecTV HD DVR HR24 & AM21N OTA Receiver
Panasonic HD DVD DMP-BD65 & Toshiba HD DVR A20
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
Panamax M4300-PM Power Center
Monoprice Cables & Harmony One Remote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 104 Old 04-26-2012, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post

Just a thought guys.

If this is to be the default avatar, its going to show up a zillion times in each sub forum and in each thread for all the people that never bother to choose an individual personalized avatar.

Maybe instead of something bright and flashy and overwhelming colorful or flashly maybe it should be something more subdued and elegant that would more blend in or not be distracting so that those more active members that have a personalized vatar and want to stand out can do so.

Or the posts of epic wisdom from more active members with personalized avatars could be more highlighted and stand out from the guys that went with the system generated default avatar?

I mean if the chosen default avatar is cartoonish or colorful instead of subdued it could be distracting by itself right?

Something along the lines of these submissions I would not mind being the default from multiple users in a thread as they would not be too distracting and look rather elegant. Especially the generic outline figure in the first image. Having the multiple dark red curtains on the side of the thread and a generic person icon for posters that did not choose a personal icon seems appropriate somehow to me.

Can you guys come up with more icons along those lines?

I have some background working with icons on phpBB. This is not easy. It has to be non-obtrusive and work at a low resolution.

By non-obtrusive, I mean a low-impact color scheme or mainly grayscale. It has to work in all color schemes (unless you are willing to post the forum style info).

By low resolution, I mean that the idea has to be conveyed at the target resolution. I took your "red curtain" avatar and scaled it down to 80px x 80px. The idea of theater seating and curtains is not obvious - the details are lost. In this sense, a spectrum analyzer (geometric low resolution shapes) might work better.

I reworked my previous icons closer to what you're looking for. I did this in 2 steps. First, I matched the red "curtain" idea. Then, I went to grayscale (desaturate) and adjusted the gamma / brightness / contrast until it looked good.

Finally, I showed the difference in scaling. IMHO, the 80px x 80px avatar (bottom center) is the least obtrusive. Your "curtain" avatar stands out quite a bit. BTW, it's best to view the avatar on its own merit, as you're seeing the effects of the forum software's processing. "View image" will give better PQ than viewing inside the post.

I'll withhold my opinion on my own avatar... I'll see if I can come up with some other ideas.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #33 of 104 Old 04-26-2012, 06:09 PM

Liked: 10
you can't really judge obtrusion until you know the color scheme. if the avatars are against a dark background, then dark avatars will be less obtrusive. and opposite for a light background.

its hard to design without knowing the future color scheme. but it doesn't look like we're going to find that out. so it's best to just make a design that people like, and then re-work the colors after the scheme is released.
post #34 of 104 Old 04-26-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Concur. In some styles, like phpBB's prosilver, the rows alternate in a light / dark theme; which makes this even more challenging.

That's a good idea, just get the avatar concepts in place and work the colors later. Assuming that the the colors don't impact anything.

Essentially, we're working on prototypes.
post #35 of 104 Old 04-26-2012, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of your submissions so far. I just wanted to add that like now, we plan to have more than one theme/color scheme...so don't get too hung up on that.

As a reminder, the logo vote was here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1394614

Thanks Again!

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
post #36 of 104 Old 04-27-2012, 05:57 AM

Nice logo! That definitely helps. Here's a generic avatar that matches the new logo.

And here's an updated eq avatar

post #37 of 104 Old 04-27-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 43
Adding to the color conversation...It will be CLOSE to the same colors that are used here as the default colors.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #38 of 104 Old 04-27-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

(Mike Lang - Thanks, also. I never saw the logo as I found this thread from your global notice.)

I took some photos of my Sammy PN63B550 63" plasma display. (Nikon D-60 with Tokina 100 mm f/2.8 macro lens.) The 122 px thumbnail is an unmodified crop from the original 3900px x 2613px resolution. The black level on the 80px scaled image (below thumbnail) was increased to reduce the impact on the color scheme.
LL
LL
post #39 of 104 Old 04-27-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you AVS for giving us the opportunity to display our artistic side.

49Merc

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
post #40 of 104 Old 04-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Goo

I'm not much of an artist
LL
post #41 of 104 Old 04-28-2012, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goo View Post

I'm not much of an artist

And for the female members?
post #42 of 104 Old 04-28-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekGirl View Post

Artists have no gender, just a will to do what they do without fear of rejection. My genre is abstract. Most of my works receive puzzled looks and polite comments.

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
post #43 of 104 Old 04-28-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Here's one simple concept... "Large" and small versions for comparisons at both sizes. Bonus points for anyone who knows what it is without looking at the filenames!

edit: Cleanup + made the center transparent because I had forgotten to do that the first time.

It works on two levels... because of what it is and that it kind of looks like a Salvador-Dali-esque sad face (sad because it is the default avatar)
LL
LL

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #44 of 104 Old 04-28-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Here's one simple concept... "Large" and small versions for comparisons at both sizes. Bonus points for anyone who knows what it is without looking at the filenames!

It works on two levels... because of what it is and that it kind of looks like a Salvador-Dali-esque sad face (sad because it is the default avatar)

It's an insert used on 45rpm records so the they can be played on a regular turntable.

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
post #45 of 104 Old 04-28-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post

Quote:

Artists have no gender

perhaps, but that avatar is definitely male
post #46 of 104 Old 04-28-2012, 12:00 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 128
A little avatar-age for the non-members would be nice.

So far, I'm also kinda likin this one, though I think it reads better at the larger size, and would still like to see more options.

I like the retro idea as well. Not sure about the 45 rpm spindle adapter (I actually used those back in the olden days ), but maybe an old RCA picture tube or somethin would be nice (for some of us anyway ).

Perhaps AVS could give the non-members a choice of several different generic avatars to choose from like some others sites? Some vintage photos of old movie stars would also be cool, if they're PD and ok to use. Then you could have your choice of sexes, e.g. Marilyn or Bogie (or Karloff in my case ).

ADU
post #47 of 104 Old 04-29-2012, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post

I like the retro idea as well. Not sure about the 45 rpm spindle adapter (I actually used those back in the olden days ), but maybe an old RCA picture tube or somethin would be nice (for some of us anyway ).

I decided to go retro a little, and that for some reason was the first thing that popped into my head. I'm looking at some other things, maybe will come up with some more to post in the next day or so.

post #48 of 104 Old 04-29-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I disagree on the retro, as you'll lose anyone over 30. The spotlight avatar won't be recognized unless it's presented in context. You need to have a consistent theme that aligns with the logo. ajohnson1's avatars fit what you are looking for.
So much for promoting my submissions, but AVS forum is also about giving honest opinions.

A display is recognized by all age groups. I revised my submssion to represent a "guest" member. The idea is that you don't know who this is, which makes this mysterious.
LL
post #49 of 104 Old 04-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I disagree on the retro, as you'll lose anyone over 30. The spotlight avatar won't be recognized unless it's presented in context. You need to have a consistent theme that aligns with the logo. ajohnson1's avatars fit what you are looking for.
So much for promoting my submissions, but AVS forum is also about giving honest opinions.

A display is recognized by all age groups. I revised my submssion to represent a "guest" member. The idea is that you don't know who this is, which makes this mysterious.

I like this set and the way the avatars embrace the already chosen logo.
I hope you don't mind but I did a slight edit to the one avatar to more closely match the logo, as a possible alternative.
LL
post #50 of 104 Old 04-29-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

To be clear, those are ajohnson1's avatars. I like your modified version a little better, it ties the theme together and is better balanced.
post #51 of 104 Old 04-29-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I think your recent comments and AVS related designs are spot on for default avatars.

This question is best answered by an AVS rep.

"Is it AVS's intention to offer a selection of optional avatars for those members not wanting to use the default or to post one of their own? If the answer to this question is yes then the submission of AV related, albeit loosely, avatars are warranted."

Looking forward to an answer and comments.

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
post #52 of 104 Old 04-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

To be clear, those are ajohnson1's avatars. I like your modified version a little better, it ties the theme together and is better balanced.

Thank you for the clarification, I had missed that, and for the credit to ajohnson1.

ajohnson1, I like what you've done and the way you maintained the theme.
I apologize if you take offense with my modification and will gladly remove it if you do. I'm certainly not looking to steal your thunder.

Earl
post #53 of 104 Old 04-29-2012, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

earletp, ajohnson1 I further modified your layout for grayscale. The pattern matches the theme, while the gray maintains the nature of the "mysterious" guest.

Hint: Select and copy the logo's color bars to a new layer. Shear until the pattern is aligned. Crop and scale to fit. Note that I only included the visible bars, which is not a copy of the previous avatars (but it's similar).

Another possibility is to modify the "person" for a brushed metal look, which matches the logo text. I took a stab at it, but I'm not happy with the results (not posted).
LL
post #54 of 104 Old 04-29-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I disagree on the retro, as you'll lose anyone over 30.

To be fair... I bet this forum is slanted towards the over-30 crowd anyway.

Also, to be fair... the most-highly voted new logo design was actually the most retro if you think about it.

Look at that thread and the other choices... the one that got the most votes was the least modern-stylish (i.e. most clean/easiest to read) and the EQ bars are definitely retro when compared to more modern EQ representations.

I'm not just saying this because I'm looking at retro submissions myself... I'm saying it because I think it actually fits this forum if you stop and think about it.

post #55 of 104 Old 04-29-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't count me out just yet. Rework and new ones to appear tomorrow.

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
post #56 of 104 Old 04-29-2012, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also, to be fair... the most-highly voted new logo design was actually the most retro if you think about it.

I see your point, but I think it won because it was the most clearly understood. I also liked the brushed metal equipment look, which I never thought of as "retro," but I see your point.

OK, I'm done (modified avatar and rationale above). If others like retro more, that's fine by me. I appreciate AVS forum allowing its members to express their creative side.
post #57 of 104 Old 04-29-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earletp View Post

ajohnson1, I like what you've done and the way you maintained the theme.
I apologize if you take offense with my modification and will gladly remove it if you do. I'm certainly not looking to steal your thunder.

I don't mind if someone modifies my idea. As far as I know, there's no reward. I just like doing stuff like this to build up my portfolio.
post #58 of 104 Old 04-29-2012, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's a quick version of an RGB EQ display. Slightly different than the others, but perhaps matches more the AVS logo than my previous one.

edit: Added a second variation of the EQ. After looking at the first one I did, I realized that while the colors were right, they didn't match the presentation of the AV logo (color order). I didn't add the yellow tics to the second variation, though it could certainly have them.
LL
LL
LL
LL

post #59 of 104 Old 04-30-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

Stats from Quantcast:

18-24 17%
25-34 23%
35-44 24%
45-54 18%
55-64 10%
65+ 3%

Male/Female
Male 74%
Female 26%
post #60 of 104 Old 04-30-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 190
[quote=wajo;]Stats from Quantcast:

18-24 17%
25-34 23%
35-44 24%
45-54 18%
55-64 10%
65+ 3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo; View Post

Male/Female
Male 74%
Female 26%

There are just a few senoritas active on AVS, i've seen two of them. Regular long time AVS visitors are 30+ IMO
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page