post #31 of 126 Old 05-24-2012, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudoh View Post

a big boo for taking away the fantastic blue/magenta color theme so many of us have grown to over the past decade.

I can never tell when people are kidding or not. But that old theme just melted my eyes in about half an hour. Kudos to those who could stare at it for extended periods of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 126 Old 05-24-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 208
I guess im happy for you guys, but i don't like changes of anything original and what has been for a long, long time.

I like the underground look of this site. Why do you want to end the party at 11?

home theater addict
post #33 of 126 Old 05-24-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post

I can never tell when people are kidding or not. But that old theme just melted my eyes in about half an hour. Kudos to those who could stare at it for extended periods of time.

No kidding. It's like someone murdered a color wheel. I half expect to hear modem dial-up tones when I see it.

post #34 of 126 Old 05-24-2012, 06:58 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 318
They've done a remarkable job in converting the existing database of forums and threads. We found a few glitches, but nothing that can't be fixed for the official rollout.

Just as a test I've done parallel posting of replies between the old and new forums and switching between them is not hard at all.

-Bill
post #35 of 126 Old 05-24-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I like the new look! I also like the separating out of galleries and reviews from the forums. Will anyone be able to post reviews and galleries?
post #36 of 126 Old 05-24-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Omgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
post #37 of 126 Old 05-24-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post

Not by launch but we hope to get it added in at some point in the near future.

that's good, since I too use retro
I just find dark background w contrasting text much easier to read than the
white & blue text combo. maybe just aging eyesight but I guess I'm one of the few who liked magenta/blue/yellow text

the screenshots look impressive. very modern looking.
great job, guys!

looking forward to the new site

Steve
post #38 of 126 Old 05-24-2012, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

I like the new look! I also like the separating out of galleries and reviews from the forums. Will anyone be able to post reviews and galleries?

Yep! But that is a setting we can control. For example, we may end up with a setting that a member needs to have made at least 5 posts and been a member at least a week before they do something. (Like post a new gallery or a new review.) This is to help prevent spammers from getting into it and posting, well, whatever it is that they post.

But yes...the reviews are open to all. (more or less).

Oh, and the ARTICLES...think of it as more or less.....wait for it.....a WiKi! A lot of people have been wanting such a feature and now we will have it. Just under a differnt name if you will.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #39 of 126 Old 05-24-2012, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

that's good, since I too use retro
I just find dark background w contrasting text much easier to read than the
white & blue text combo.

the screenshots look impressive. very modern looking.
great job, guys!

AGAIN.....NO RETRO. Mike was sadly mistaken. Please see the original post or even the follow up.

Sorry...Just needed to be sure this was again point out.

Quote:

Let me also say this now and that is a big SORRY to those that liked the good old days with the Retro theme as we will not have the Retro Theme. You see, themes are just to hard to maintain I am sorry to say. But we surely needed a Dark Theme for in theater use and the team surely came through. It is my personal favorite.

Thanks

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #40 of 126 Old 05-24-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 248
I'm disappointed to see the AVS mobile apps going away. I've contributed 100's of posts via the Android app to one of the biggest threads in the projector forums.

The Android app was a perfect match for checking PM's, new topics, updates, etc.
post #41 of 126 Old 05-24-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott View Post

Here is a THREAD VIEW in two screen grabs. Sorry, but could not figure out how to get it in one grab. (Sorry, it's 2:35AM here)

I have to say I'm sad to see the day that AVS became another site with distracting and immature avatars. I've enjoyed that my two favorite sites, Arstechnica and AVS, had both a more mature audience and atmosphere. I hope the audience will stay the same but I worry as I've seen other sites make the move to including user uploaded avatars for everyone and they have all lost the maturity they had before the switch.

My stuff is old, but it still works well. Apparently AVS finds it to old to keep in their database but I'm still happy with it.
post #42 of 126 Old 05-24-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 697
post #43 of 126 Old 05-24-2012, 07:47 AM

Liked: 12
It looks great, I look forward to seeing all the improvements. Thanks for all the work that has gone into this change over..

post #44 of 126 Old 05-24-2012, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I'm disappointed to see the AVS mobile apps going away. I've contributed 100's of posts via the Android app to one of the biggest threads in the projector forums.

The Android app was a perfect match for checking PM's, new topics, updates, etc.

Hi...You will still have an App right from the start (Or say a week), just a differnt one. TapaTalk. And then later we will have our own again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baenwort View Post

I have to say I'm sad to see the day that AVS became another site with distracting and immature avatars. I've enjoyed that my two favorite sites, Arstechnica and AVS, had both a more mature audience and atmosphere. I hope the audience will stay the same but I worry as I've seen other sites make the move to including user uploaded avatars for everyone and they have all lost the maturity they had before the switch.

Understood. But at least we do not allow for animated avatars (Oh gosh no!) and the ones we will be offering will even be based on the site itself. And a member could even choose to use a blank. I do not see us loosing our demographic based on the content here. It is content that drives the site and our members have been fantastic at making AVS what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRwOOD73 View Post

It looks great, I look forward to seeing all the improvements. Thanks for all the work that has gone into this change over..

At this pint in time...more or less a direct import of the sections as they stand. Down the road, as we always have, we may add more or condense.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #45 of 126 Old 05-24-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Can we please ban the term "man cave"?

Are we all in highschool? Part of the "he-man women haters club"?

Also think you should have hired a professional if you were going to change the logo. The new one is no better than the current one - just different. It's still one dimensional which was common in the 90's, but most new companies now have motion or activity or dimensions in their logo. The site just took a step sideways.

And I'll also echo bainwort in that having default avatars does not seem like the right step. It just clutters things up and gives a more "common" feel as opposed to a professional one.

I'm all for change, but some of these changes just seem like they were made for the sake of change "hey, we're changing", instead of being changes for improvements.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #46 of 126 Old 05-24-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudoh View Post

a big boo for taking away the fantastic blue/magenta color theme so many of us have grown to over the past decade.

I'm a user of this theme as well. That said, the black background will be better than the bright white background.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #47 of 126 Old 05-24-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

AGAIN.....NO RETRO.

We understand that. But what I don't understand is why not?

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #48 of 126 Old 05-24-2012, 08:10 AM

Sorry for editing my earlier post as you were answering my "forum structure" question, but I went back and read this;

"Thread Page: As you can see, the thread list and thread pages aren't too different from what you see today. We're trying to keep the core experience as consistent as possible and at the same time provide entirely new ways to interact around passion for home theater and home entertainment."

and thought it seemed to answer my question somewhat.. thanks for further clarification though.

post #49 of 126 Old 05-24-2012, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

Can we please ban the term "man cave"?

-----

And I'll also echo bainwort in that having default avatars does not seem like the right step. It just clutters things up and gives a more "common" feel as opposed to a professional one.

LOL...Yeah, bad choice of words. It was all I could come up with that kind of fit what I was trying to say. But we will see if that is even how it ends up for we are still tweaking that area.

As far as the Avatars...Right now the only members that can have them are club members. As such, you do not see many. We wanted to follow suit to what members are used to around the web...such offering a image to use. Even my bank does it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

We understand that. But what I don't understand is why not?

As mentioned..."You see, themes are just to hard to maintain". Let me try to add to this. It is very hard to make themes and once you make it, it needs to be maintained with any change made to the site. As such even now, on this site, some things do not look right in any other color than the default one. That is because the theme was not fully written to handle the new item. It takes time to make and then handle them. When we ran a report as to the number of people using it, well, it made no sense really to spend the time, money, and future money on one.

Hope this helps.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #50 of 126 Old 05-24-2012, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
A real bummer about the smartphone app.

That will really cut down on the time I spend browsing the forums. It currently sets AVSForum apart from the other forums I visit.

Mr Zoid

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
post #51 of 126 Old 05-24-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

As far as the Avatars...Right now the only members that can have them are club members. As such, you do not see many.

Which is exactly how it should be.

Quote:

We wanted to follow suit to what members are used to around the web...such offering a image to use. Even my bank does it.

I would think you'd want to be better than every other web site.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #52 of 126 Old 05-24-2012, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

Which is exactly how it should be.

I would think you'd want to be better than every other web site.

And we are in many ways and that is thanks to the members like yourself and not because we have avatars or no avatars. We have received many emails asking about how a member can add an avatar.

But don't worry...we got you covered. You can turn off all Avatars if you so desire.

LL

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #53 of 126 Old 05-24-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZoid View Post

A real bummer about the smartphone app.

That will really cut down on the time I spend browsing the forums. It currently sets AVSForum apart from the other forums I visit.

Mr Zoid

Their is a smart phone app. Just the one we currently use will end.

Quote:

A quick word about mobile: We're working on an entirely new HTML5 solution to go with the new site. It won't be live for launch, but you can expect it shortly after. Designed from the ground up with power users in mind, this is definitely something to be excited about. With that said, the dedicated AVSForum app you now may have will no longer function. Please feel free to remove it from your devices once we do convert over. (Trivia...That was my theater on the splash screen.)

HOWEVER...We will support TapaTalk on the new platform, so, well, if you have it, you will be set to go. If not...you may want to install it.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #54 of 126 Old 05-24-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Looks great, David! Maybe your web developer could contract his or her services out to Audiogon after this project...

PSN: KyFriedNate | XBL: KyFriedNate
My SACD Collection | My DVD-A Collection
post #55 of 126 Old 05-24-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
David,

I am another user who really likes the retro look and have grown fond of it over the years. I'll give the new look(s) a whirl, and hope to find one I like. I am surprised that more users don't use the retro look, but based on your report of how many use it now, doesn't sound like there is that many. Change is good sometimes, yet it will be tough to give up seeing the old guard retro look here........

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #56 of 126 Old 05-24-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Looking forward to the new site. Especially Tapatalk support!!!

Greg
post #57 of 126 Old 05-24-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:

There is a smart phone app. Just the one we currently use will end.

As an administrator I will always prefer a dedicated application over a generic application.

I'm not saying I won't give it a shot, just that I will miss a dedicated app on my phone.

Mr Zoid

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
post #58 of 126 Old 05-24-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post

David,

I am another user who really likes the retro look and have grown fond of it over the years. I'll give the new look(s) a whirl, and hope to find one I like. I am surprised that more users don't use the retro look, but based on your report of how many use it now, doesn't sound like there is that many. Change is good sometimes, yet it will be tough to give up seeing the old guard retro look here........

By the numbers...# Members using what styles...

Default = 1m+ (Of course as most people do not change or are not aware they can. They just come to post.)
Black = 3433
Retro = 933 (Of which only 450 have been on the site in the last 30 days. Does not mean they posted.)

So really, if it was just a sole choice made on cost vs use and the maintenance that goes into keeping more than one...we would only have one. But we for sure needed to have a dark theme and thus at least made sure we had one.

(I tried my best to get the right data from the database as their is no direct report for this. I needed actually go into the database tables and I am far from an expert in that. But I can run a query and that is what I did based on the style ID's set in the user tables.)

Anyone with the retro them is supposed to be defaulted to the Dark theme upon import.

Doing what we can here. As mentioned, the site change will not suite all. I am fully aware of that and really have had the team put thought into it.

Thanks

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #59 of 126 Old 05-24-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZoid View Post

As an administrator I will always prefer a dedicated application over a generic application.

I'm not saying I won't give it a shot, just that I will miss a dedicated app on my phone.

Mr Zoid

Here here! Totally agree and is why we spent the $ on a dedicated branded app. When the HTML5 coding is done...we will be in much better shape. But for now, TapaTalk is already ready for those who want to run with it. So, well, we have a solution. (We tried working with ForumRunner, the maker of our dedicated app, but changes took place with them and we could not.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #60 of 126 Old 05-24-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
David,

When I first heard you were moving off vBulletin to the Huddler platform I got to admit I was nervous about the move, however so far what you have shown has me excited about the future of AVSforum!

For those upset about the loss of the AVSforum app worry not, Tapatalk is just as good as the AVS app. I can not think of anything you can't do using curent AVS app that you can't do using Tapatalk.

I look forward to seeing what the future holds!

Scott
SatelliteGuys.US / MultiChannel News
Closed Thread Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page