post #391 of 413 Old 01-10-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedthemachine View Post

Me and my oldest boy both wear glasses ..No problems for us to sit through a 2 hour movie with the 3d ones over them ..My family really enjoys 3d movie nights on the weekends smile.gif

I have heard that type of story a lot

Friends that have kids say they would have to pry to TV from the crying kids hands if they wanted to get rid of it

the animated 3D movies have turned into a "babysitters"

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 413 Old 01-14-2013, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got the Samsung 60" 3D Plasma TV with 6 glasses. The first time I used this TV I was blown away.
post #393 of 413 Old 01-30-2013, 05:31 PM

Liked: 18
After 3 months on the best 3D projector you can get, Benq W7000, I am tired of 3D. LOL.
post #394 of 413 Old 02-03-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2037 View Post

After 3 months on the best 3D projector you can get, Benq W7000, I am tired of 3D. LOL.

sounds like that may be a picture quality issue

are you completely satisfied with the projector's 2D picture?..or does it leave you wanting more?

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #395 of 413 Old 02-14-2013, 09:35 AM

Liked: 11
I want to read through this thread and see all of the opinions shared; I read the first page or so. I too was just looking for a new set (burglars got my old one) and 3D was not really a consideration for me in the purchase, but a salesman did coax me into checking it out and it was pretty impressive.

I went ahead and bought a new player and glasses that just came in last night. So, apparently despite feeling like it was a gimmicky trend – I spent the extra just to have it. I was reluctant to even go to the theater for the new wave of 3D until Transformers Dark Side of the Moon came out and that was to see Rosie Huntington-Whiteley more than anything honestly. I have to say I was pretty impressed with the new tech in 3D when I finally went and I’ve been back for more since.

I got Avatar in with my new gear and watched about half of it last night before I had to call it for the night (falling asleep). It’s pretty cool! The depth added in some scenes is probably as cool as any of the in your face stuff. Some of the scenes were a little ‘off’ for me – the 3D was a little funky; the actors moving around seemed to not be in 3D and blurry, but I’m still getting used to it maybe. Hugo is on the way too and I anticipate that it will be pretty amazing as well. I’m hoping I will catch some cool stuff in 3D that doesn’t run $30+ for the disc bundle to get it.

I’m glad I ponied up for it while I had a little extra cash I suppose, but I don’t know if it is something that I would go into debt over if I were just scraping by. It works out for me to have the player that has better capacity for ‘smart’ functionality and an optical cable for my old school a/v receiver with no HDMI and limited optical inputs too (Netflix, Vudu on a remote that has tv controls).
post #396 of 413 Old 02-15-2013, 06:01 AM

Liked: 11
Ah, I found the adjustments for minimizing ‘crosstalk’ on my new player, but frankly if it seems to just move the ‘crosstalk’ from one point to another from what I can tell initially. This will be something I probably need to look into adjusting properly.

Finished Avatar and watched Hugo last night btw. Definitely adds to the experience of seeing it, but the random scene with what I supposed is referenced as ‘crosstalk’ is an annoyance. I can see why it might make some people nauseas. It didn’t make me ‘sick’ or anything, but makes me feel slightly unbalanced momentarily maybe is one way of putting it.

The overall trick it is playing to the brain is pretty impressive though; could probably stand to be improved upon.
post #397 of 413 Old 02-15-2013, 07:32 PM

Had my 5020ub now for almost two weeks and love the 3D effect. Even the current movie on Starz on AT&T (Finding Nemo) looks great (top /down format). The 2D conversion doesn't do anything for me so I've given up on even using it. I've always liked 3D from the old stereoscopic pictures that my Grandmother had to the 50's theater movies. But, I haven't been to a theater in years except at Disney World, where their 3D was exceptional, which got me interested in 3D for home use. I'm glad I have it and have the choice available if I want it. I can go to BluRay.com for just the 3D if I want, or wait and get the good price from a Best Buy. I save a lot of money by waiting for the right price for these 3D bundles. I highly recommend 3D with the Epson 5020UB because it's such a bright picture. Brightness is a tough commodity to come by in a FP, but Epson has nailed it for sure. So, count me in on "want it, got it".
post #398 of 413 Old 02-16-2013, 11:17 AM

I voted I want 3D. However I do not want to use the current technology requiring glasses. Prolong use of viewing either passive or nonpassive is irritating to my eye vision even though I enjoy the 3D view.
post #399 of 413 Old 02-28-2013, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've voted earlier on this thread stating i do not want it but i wanted to update. In the past, i have been unable to view 3d without incurring a massive headache even though i have perfect vision. We took the kids to Escape from Planet Earth not realizing it was only showing in 3d (don't get me started on the outrageous pricing!). Anyways, i was happy that i sat through the entire movie headache free. It still hasn't changed my mind about 3d though. I just don't care. I see it as gimmicky and not really adding anything. I will need to give it one more shot with something like Avatar, Hugo, or Prometheus. that, as others have stated, seems to draw you in more. If one of those showings doesn't hook me i'll forever close the book on 3d
post #400 of 413 Old 02-28-2013, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
None of the 3D movies I've seen in theater was worth the admission price. Maybe I'm just unlucky in which theaters I've been to, and I confess I've never seen one in an IMAX.

OTOH, viewing a 3D Blu-Ray on a decent 3D TV is a whole different thing, seriously.

I have to wonder if some respondents' negative view would change if they saw a decent presentation. My opinion certainly did.
post #401 of 413 Old 03-01-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post

None of the 3D movies I've seen in theater was worth the admission price. Maybe I'm just unlucky in which theaters I've been to, and I confess I've never seen one in an IMAX.

OTOH, viewing a 3D Blu-Ray on a decent 3D TV is a whole different thing, seriously.

I have to wonder if some respondents' negative view would change if they saw a decent presentation. My opinion certainly did.

Same here. We saw Toy Story 3D in the theater and was not impressed. When I bought my TV, it had 3D capability, and came with a 3D blu-ray player. So I thought it'd be worth trying.

We now have upwards of 20 titles! eek.gif

------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #402 of 413 Old 03-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I enjoy 3D personally, the picture to me just looks so much more complete and full. Unfortunately, my wife suffers headaches from the active shutter glasses if we watch for too long, so I really only get to watch them by myself.

post #403 of 413 Old 03-01-2013, 12:36 PM

I love the 3D effect. I think it is a great addition to the choices we have with this projector. I recently discovered that on my Sony Bluray player two titles that have samples of 3D from Sony (3D and 3Net) which was really cool to watch a streaming presentation! Unfortunately, my AT&T service doesn't carry this, but does carry the samples (go figure) I loved Avatar, Hugo, Under the Sea, Impossible Journey 2, etc. But, I also like the old DVDs I have that look great on this projector, making a purchase on blueray unnecessary. I think I would like to see more "in my face stuff", I definitely wait for prices to come down before I buy anything, and I haven't been to a theater in years because of the prices and lousy popcorn. One thing is evident that 3D varies in quality from movie to movie. Some transfers are better than other. I think the movies that are filmed in 3D (James Cameron) are great, and Hugo was exceptional. The 5020 is a keeper for sure.
post #404 of 413 Old 05-19-2013, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I bought Sony HX800 back in 2011....but did not buy the additional 3d kit and glasses, as 3d was not a big deal for me.

After viewing Dial M for Murder in 3d at a local Movie Tavern earlier this year, I tracked down and bought the transmitter, and got the Blick 3d glasses.

I am a classic movie fan, and have the bluray set of Universal Classic Monsters.. so decided to check out Creature from the Black Lagoon, 3d widescreen version, and must say, it was fun to watch.

I am very selective in my movie viewing and buying, so just because a movie is in 3d does not mean I will rush to see or to buy. Besides CFTBL, also have Dial M for Murder.

From what I have read, both Titanic and Jurassic Park are very enjoyable in 3d, so may consider buying them....might try to rent first to see how good they really are.

Looking forward to release of House of Wax. I have the dvd, but am sure the 3d bluray will be fun.
post #405 of 413 Old 05-19-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUL View Post

I bought Sony HX800 back in 2011....but did not buy the additional 3d kit and glasses, as 3d was not a big deal for me.

After viewing Dial M for Murder in 3d at a local Movie Tavern earlier this year, I tracked down and bought the transmitter, and got the Blick 3d glasses.

I am a classic movie fan, and have the bluray set of Universal Classic Monsters.. so decided to check out Creature from the Black Lagoon, 3d widescreen version, and must say, it was fun to watch.

I am very selective in my movie viewing and buying, so just because a movie is in 3d does not mean I will rush to see or to buy. Besides CFTBL, also have Dial M for Murder.

From what I have read, both Titanic and Jurassic Park are very enjoyable in 3d, so may consider buying them....might try to rent first to see how good they really are.

Looking forward to release of House of Wax. I have the dvd, but am sure the 3d bluray will be fun.
Titanic was done very well in 3D, most of it is depth perception.
post #406 of 413 Old 05-20-2013, 05:42 AM

Thanks for your input
Many folks seem to think 3d means 'in your face the entire movie' but you are correct, it is all about the depth of the scene.

In CFTBL, there are many in your face trick shots, where as in DMFM, there is only one during the attempted murder sequence, while all else is interesting depth shots.
post #407 of 413 Old 05-20-2013, 07:01 AM

I started with a 40" Visio which I bought reconditioned and it had Passive 3D, so I used it once in awhile. I bought this TV to use mainly for when I don't watch movies, I usually watch my movies on a Sony G70 (110" screen). I saw a good deal on a reconditioned 47" Visio with 3D so I upgraded to that, and I put the 40" in my bedroom. I like watching the 3D on the 47" a bit better, so I think a larger size does matter. I may eventually get a 3D setup for my Sony G70, but I see they only use Active glasses and I worry with my eyes, that I might get headaches or some other side effects. I am a possible candidate for cataracts or glaucoma, I am 70 years old with a bit higher than normal pressure on my eyes. I do like 3D, but I don't find many great new movies for it so far. Prometheus was one of the better ones.

JCP
post #408 of 413 Old 05-20-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruB4 View Post

Titanic was done very well in 3D, most of it is depth perception.

Agreed. If you didn't know, you would have sworn it was filmed this way smile.gif

I'm a HUGE dinosaur nerd, and am really pumped for Jurassic Park 3D. I realize it's out, but I haven't had a chance to pick it up yet mad.gif

------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #409 of 413 Old 05-25-2013, 07:35 AM

Just got Titanic and Jurassic Park.
Titanic was really good....now about to sit and watch JP in 3d.
post #410 of 413 Old 05-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUL View Post

Just got Titanic and Jurassic Park.
Titanic was really good....now about to sit and watch JP in 3d.

Glad to hear!

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
post #411 of 413 Old 05-25-2013, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I don't use the 3D very much on my Panasonic due to the cost of the glasses. I have just one pair right now... I do have to say that some of the 360 games out that have 3D support make it worth it. The #D on Halo Anniversary was awesome. I hope to see more games in #D on the next gen consoles.

post #412 of 413 Old 07-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Just watched Oz the Great and Powerful 3d, and it was one of the best non animated 3D movies so far, I'd even go as far to say that the effects were better than Hugo, the surreal visual, made this a perfect 3d movie from the start, I'm not a fan of James Franco, either, but I think this movie was a great match for him as well as the other characters.

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
post #413 of 413 Old 07-18-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I do like the effect for most things, however it looks like it is going away (from a broadcast perspective).
I did not invest in one but I have seen it at friends homes, I thougt about purchasing one but now that ESPN is killing it's channel soon and I haven't heard about anyone else creating one.
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page