Voters: 1432. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 413 Old 11-09-2012, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
So, with the thread/poll that started all the chat about if 3D was a fad or not that was posted back in 2010, we thought we would ask now what AVS Members think at this point about 3D.

Old thread... http://www.avsforum.com/t/1249605/3d-television-fad-or-here-to-stay

But we really do not care about the old poll now do we....so...let's do a new very simple one on 3D in the home. More or less...

A) Got It
B) Want It
C) Don't Want It
D) Don't Care

Have fun chatting this one up. wink.gif
Rob West likes this.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 413 Old 11-09-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I wanted a new tv anyway, found that virtually all sets above entry level have 3D capabiity, so I've got it. I already have an updated PS-3 and the set I chose (LG 47LM6400) came with 6 pair of 3D glasses so the only extra expense involved was to purchase a couple of 3D Blu Ray movies.

I think it's sort of like the cruise control that's pretty much standard on all but entry level cars--I'm not going to use it very often but it's nice to have when I do want to use it and it didn't really cost me any extra.

3D isn't going to take over the airwaves the way HD did (that was a result of a government mandate for digital broadcast with HD as the carrot on the stick to get public acceptance), so I don't see it as a threat to anyone. Those who complain of the extra cost should remember that economy of scale means that if a feature is on virtually all of a given product it's very cheap to make and thus doesn't add significantly to the purchase price.

Steve S.
post #3 of 413 Old 11-09-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 211
As I've mentioned before. I wish the 3d craze would die already so projector mfg's can spend the money and R@D on things that matter; like brightness, black levels, and sharpness.
Five28, Baenwort, none74 and 5 others like this.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #4 of 413 Old 11-09-2012, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Got it, an LG 65LW6500 TV (passive).

I wouldn't want to watch 3D all the time. It's not for when you're only half paying attention. If I'm going to sit down and watch a 3D BD right through, then yes. A movie like Hugo is a significantly different experience in 3D. Many other 3D movies, not so much, but when it's well-done, it's great.
post #5 of 413 Old 11-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I enjoy it along with my family. Tonight we are going to sit down and watch the new Spiderman movie in 3D. Everyone seems to really enjoy 3D and it's nice to have the option.
post #6 of 413 Old 11-09-2012, 02:35 PM

Liked: 14
I don't care one jot about 3D. My TV has it, although it only came with one pair of glasses! The last time I was at the movies I saw The Green Hornet in 3D, and wasn't hugely impressed - not least because I already wear glasses, so having two pairs on at the same time is not ideal.
twotoilets likes this.

post #7 of 413 Old 11-09-2012, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I've had a 55"3D TV for about a year and half and watched maybe 3 movies on it and it was OK so I never really cared too much about 3D but once I saw Avatar, Avengers, Captain America, and Titanic on my 153"...it's pretty cool and I'm glad I have it (W7000).
post #8 of 413 Old 11-09-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I love it. Make my own 3D videos, pretty certain I'll be enjoying them for decades to come. It has to be an awfully good movie or show for me to watch it in 2D. I used to watch even shows about the sunrise when HD was new, but now the sunrise better be in 3D, or else.
post #9 of 413 Old 11-09-2012, 07:08 PM

Liked: 15
Great to see the new poll/thread! cool.gif

When I purchased my TV almost exactly 2 years ago, I was looking for the finest 2D set available, and didn't care if it had 3D or not. The set I chose (Sony 52" XBR HX 909) had the capability, but the transmitter and glasses were optional. Lucky me, I found it on sale at an incredible low price and it not only included the glasses & transmitter, but a 3D capable Blu-ray player to boot! The kids found out it was 3D when Santa delivered the glasses, transmitter and a few 3D movies Christmas morning! wink.gif

Since that time, the content available has increased. Some of the content has been poor quality (ie. Titans), but some has been fantastic (Hugo, Avatar...). The wife enjoys the occasional movie, but the kids and I absolutely love it (when it's done correctly!). As time has marched on, even the conversions are of better quality (Titanic). As this form of entertainment continues to mature, the results we are viewing should also improve. I appreciate the immersive aspect of 3D, and love the depth obtained. Some may argue that there needs to be more "pop out" effects, but that can also be viewed by many as a "gimmick". There will continue to be debates about active vs passive glasses, as well as those who abhor glasses altogether... to each there own. rolleyes.gif

I have been changed from somewhat skeptical of what it would add to the "Home Theater" experience to a true believer. If it is done well, I will absolutely purchase the 3D version of Blu-rays. I look forward to future releases (Hobbit!) and say Bring It On! biggrin.gif

So let the discussion commence, I look forward to reading the posts as we all share our opinions about this emerging form of home entertainment.
post #10 of 413 Old 11-09-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Waiting for glasses free and probably when I do a PJ upgrade which is still a ways down the road.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #11 of 413 Old 11-09-2012, 08:07 PM

I like the fact that you can watch 3D in your home with out going to a movie theater. I am really only interested in watching movies in 3D, or maybe a TV show. I don't really get the point of watching things like the news in 3D, other than just for fun. I, like my father, enjoy the depth aspect of 3D. Although, once technology gets better, it would be interesting to see the whole, things coming at your face side of 3D. I do agree with bass addict on how there are other things to improve on first, though. In reply to what fritzi93 said, I wouldn't mind seeing everything in 3D, but only once they improve that a great deal. One thing I find trouble with while watching 3D is the issue on how you have to tilt your head just right to get the full 3D affect. I would love to be able to lay down while watching a 3D movie, with out losing its affect, and to be able to do so without the annoyance 3D glasses bring.

Posted by AVTrauma's daughter, who hijacked the laptop when he wasn't watching..... thought it would be interesting to post what the younger generation thinks.eek.gif
post #12 of 413 Old 11-10-2012, 06:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
have it... it's "fun"... smile.gif

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #13 of 413 Old 11-10-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 232
I was one of those who was skeptical of 3D and thought there was no place for it.......it was just a fad that would not last long. I had watched demo's of it at stores but still didnt have the time for it. Until I got my HX750 LED/3D tv and once I watched a few good 3D movies on it my mind changed. I like it and enjoy it and now say 3D in the home is a great experience with the right tv/projecter and a 3D movie thats done right. I now support the format all the way and only hope it get's even better.
post #14 of 413 Old 11-10-2012, 08:01 PM

Liked: 38
As to laying down on a sofa and watching 3D...well, that's just not on with the present systems. With passive glasses, you start getting some ghosting at 30 degrees or so. It's my understanding that active is even more sensitive, and you get crosstalk with your eyes at 15 degrees from horizontal or thereabouts.

More importantly, you simply lose the 3D effect. All you have is horizontal parallax, and your brain expects some vertical parallax as well with your head tilted.

I'll repeat myself here and say that Hugo is a revelation in 3D, it's so well done. It helps that the architecture and spaces of the train depot, along with the clock machinery lend themselves very well to 3D. But Scorsese did a masterful job. You feel as if you're there.
twotoilets likes this.
post #15 of 413 Old 11-10-2012, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I can't place a vote in the new survey because none of the options fit me - would like to have it but don't know if I want to spend the extra money to get it. One could get a bigger screen with an excellent picture without the thrills for less. I guess what might be the breaker is knowing how the 2D to 3D conversion is since I have such a large collection of DVDs. Like if it would enhance the 007 films I would really go the extra mile.

So put me down as an undecided. smile.gif
rdcollns likes this.
post #16 of 413 Old 11-10-2012, 11:48 PM

Liked: 12
Just got my first 3D TV, LG 60pm6700 (active 3D)
Have seen a number of 3D theater movies and thought they were "interesting", but usually fall asleep (chairs suck).
Was looking for a new set for at home and figured for the extra couple hundred that I might as well get all the options (smart,3D etc).
Love the "in home" 3D, it's so much better!
But will probably split my watching 80/20 2D/3D.
As someone said 3D isn't for casual watching, more an event.
Is 3D perfect, no, but....
It just kills me to read about people and their need for perfection of "black levels" "sharpness" "color".
I am only 50, but started out with a 12" B&W TV, cable,lol, try "bunny ears", remote, that was my brother and I.
Then came OMG "color" ! !, wow!!
Picture still had more snow than our drive way in December, but it was color!
My point is, we are very lucky to have TV's that have resolution so sharpe, colors so close to perfect, digital signals, and now 3D, on a 60" set, in home!
Sure strive to better the tech, but lets not loose sight of where we started not so long ago.
Lets revel and enjoy what we do have!
biggrin.gif
djjozo and relaydenied like this.
post #17 of 413 Old 11-11-2012, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
To be honest I'm surprised manufacturers have followed through with this... I was expecting it to die out as a "fad" before the end of 2011. I don't care that much. I've demo'd the 3d at various stores and while it seems neat.... it just seems like an extra hassle that's possibly headache inducing.

Although, I do like the fact that newer 3d capable LCD displays have such low pixel response times. (Too bad it just makes the sample-and-hold effect more apparent to me as a result,. but that's an entirely different topic.)
twotoilets likes this.
post #18 of 413 Old 11-12-2012, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I wish one of the poll options was "Got It but Don't Really Care" as it seems like many us on this forum feel that way about 3D.

"By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next." -- William Shakespeare, Henry the Fourth, Part II
post #19 of 413 Old 11-12-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 100
post #20 of 413 Old 11-12-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Got it on Sony VW1000 projector. Wish more quality content was out there. 3D wow factor is not very often right now.

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #21 of 413 Old 11-12-2012, 08:50 AM

Liked: 10

I have two LG 3D TVs. Waiting for LG to release a more affordable passive 3D projector.
post #22 of 413 Old 11-12-2012, 08:54 AM

Liked: 12
I generally embrace real tech advancements and love watching film, but this early 21st century promotion of "3D" strikes me as a clumsy return to the mid-20th centurie's rather clumsy and feeble attempts to give us what ought to be an immersive and complete experience.

You have to wear individual bulky, ugly glasses to watch? Really? In 2012?

The day you can enter your theatre and just watch in 3D- I'm all aboard. Until that day, this is a doomed and decidedly archaic gimmick that faded away before and is likely to do so again. It feels unnatural, uncomfortable and for me at least, the concept is too marred by the constraints of the 80+ year old technology to be enticing.

Just my admission-cents, I admit, but I hate it.
twotoilets likes this.
post #23 of 413 Old 11-12-2012, 09:09 AM

Liked: 14
I have a 3D set, but only use 3D while playing certain puzzle games on PS3.

post #24 of 413 Old 11-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 419
I love 3d, but I HATE that we cant rent 3d blu rays through Netflix, Redbox, etc....yet. I just cant justify at this point buying something that I know I will only want to watch once just because it is 3d. I really hope we can start renting these at some point. Not being able to rent and the fact that my particular display does not handle 3d well have caused my 3d watching to go down to next to nothing right now. A better 3d display will certainly get me interested again which I am working on and renting at that point would then be the final piece to get me back in the 3d game 100%.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #25 of 413 Old 11-12-2012, 09:10 AM

Liked: 41
B.

Technically, I'm about as on-the-fence as a human being can be between B and C. If a two grand windfall dropped in my lap, I might upgrade. I doubt we'd use it that much, with the current paucity of content. If we only watched 3D once a month, that means that after two years we would have paid an additional $50 -per movie to enjoy viewing the occasional 3D event.

ROI-wise... That's a stretch.

That's a stretch.

When prices drop on the projector or content increases, the tipping point will likely topple towards a 3D upgrade.
twotoilets likes this.

Just keep talkin'. I'll let you know when you're right.
post #26 of 413 Old 11-12-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I have it on my new gear, but honestly I can take it of leave it. Seems too fake still, and reminds me of my child hood and the old view master stuff, the novelty is wearing off quick and I have only watched 3 titles in 3D.

http://www.fisher-price.com/en_US/brands/viewmaster/index.html
twotoilets likes this.
post #27 of 413 Old 11-12-2012, 09:56 AM

Liked: 16
I have it and love it. We have extended family movie nights and the 3D gaming is so good. It was a no brainer purchase. I needed an new TV and it and my new AV setup supported it. So the choice was easy. I make sure that I order the 3D version of the multi-disc movies I buy. With 90+ inches of viewing, my house has become the social spot of all my family and friends.

Mitsubishi WD-92842, Onkyo HT-S9400THX, Oppo BDP-93, XBOX 360 w/Kinect, XBOX (modded), WD My Book Essential, FiOS Bundle
post #28 of 413 Old 11-12-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I didn't like the thought of it at first, but I figured I'd give it a try after my older projector died. I was so blown away by the 3D after getting my HD3300. Some movies aren't worth watching in 3D (Harry Potter, The Amazing Spiderman - no, it wasn't good in 3D), but others (Hugo, Legend of the Guardians, Avatar, Transformers 3, A Christmas Carol) are a complete marvel in 3D. Playing Uncharted 3 in 3D was one of the most memorable gaming experiences I've ever had. For some reason, I feel like I need to be more "on" when watching 3D than 2D, but I am really glad 3D seems to have staying power. I wish there was more sharing of information and/or training in 3D production, because it's often the turd 3D movies that naysayers gravitate to when shunning the technology.

At any rate, I totally care about 3D and am already noticing projectors getting better at providing a brighter 3D image with less ghosting as well as the option for people to simultaneously watch 2D and 3D for the same movie. For gamers, 3D is great because you can have a buddy come over and set your glasses up so that one pair of glasses sees only what the left eye is supposed to see, while the other set sees the right eye in both lenses. This allows both players to have full screen split screen where each person sees a different image in full screen. How awesome is that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVJcVPvjUJo

post #29 of 413 Old 11-12-2012, 10:36 AM

Liked: 17
I do not have it but eventually i probably will. Not because i want it, only because i will buy the tv that has the best PQ within my price range and if that tv is 3D, then so be it. However, i won't watch in 3d because i don't like it, it gives me a headache and i will not let my children view it. I have perfect vision (according to the optomotrist anyways) and i have tried 3d three times now and every time, i started getting a massive headache halfway through and i have never experienced that watching tv before or since. Honestly, i just don't care for the experience anyways. I don't care that the object looks 3 feet away and the other one 10. It just seems like such a gimmick.
twotoilets and colohtpc like this.
post #30 of 413 Old 11-12-2012, 11:13 AM

Liked: 13
I was in the market for a TV last year and was set on 55-60". Looking through, found the LG 55LW5300 set and it was on par or cheaper than TV's in its size that were not 3D. None of them had internet apps (not something I cared for since I can run it from my PC) so figure might as well since it cam with a blu-ray player (albeit a cheap one) and four pairs of passive 3D glasses. I only have three or four 3D movies and rarely watch them. Effects are good but nothing spectacular and more of a gimmick than useful, need-to-have feature in my opinion.

Because great sound fills the room, shakes the house, breaks hearts, stirs souls, and always will
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page