Which Nominee Should Win the Oscar for Best Picture? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which Nominee Should Win the Oscar for Best Picture?
Amour 0 0%
Argo 15 12.71%
Beasts of the Southern Wild 0 0%
Django Unchained 24 20.34%
Les Misérables 2 1.69%
Life of Pi 9 7.63%
Lincoln 13 11.02%
Silver Linings Playbook 3 2.54%
Zero Dark Thirty 13 11.02%
Haven't seen any of them 39 33.05%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-28-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 1193

It's Oscar season! This year, the Academy Awards will be handed out on Sunday, February 24, starting at 4 PM Pacific/7 PM Eastern.

In preparation for the star-studded event at the Dolby Theater in Hollywood, California, AVS Forum will be conducting a series of polls to find out which nominees are favored to win by our members. First up is the award for best picture:

Amour

Argo

Beasts of the Southern Wild

Django Unchained

Les Misérables

Life of Pi

Lincoln

Silver Linings Playbook

Zero Dark Thirty

Which one do you think should be designated Best Picture of 2012? Simply click on your choice in the list above this post and hit "Vote Now" to enter your selection and see the results for all the nominees. And be sure to post your thoughts on why you voted as you did.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Talk to me when they're all out on Blu-ray. I wouldn't be caught dead in a movie theater.
wingnut4772 and gridbug like this.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

Old 01-28-2013, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Django was probably one of THE best movies I've ever seen, though I do have different tastes than some more refined people on here.
Djoel likes this.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
I saw Argo (very well done) but Django for me was awesome. Great job all around cast and crew.

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
Old 01-28-2013, 02:50 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 176

Haven't seen any of em yet, but Argo's been cleanin-up the other awards (Critic's Choice, GGs, PGA, SAG...). Lincoln has the most Oscar noms though (12).

ADU
Old 01-28-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Talk to me when they're all out on Blu-ray. I wouldn't be caught dead in a movie theater.

Ok, that was funny. smile.gif

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

Old 01-28-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I liked Argo and Lincoln but you need to add The Hobbit, all of which are worth owning on BD. Saw Silver Linings Playbook the other day and it was just OK, making fun of mental illness made me uneasy. Not interested in Django, the last Tarantino film I liked was Jackie Brown.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're not alone in that sentiment, but then you don't get to see the movies before the Oscars are awarded. Plus, you don't get to experience things like high frame rate and Dolby Atmos, neither of which will be available at home any time soon. I love my home theater, but I also enjoy going out to the movies, as long as it's a good presentation, so I'm careful about which theaters I attend.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Old 01-28-2013, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek View Post

I liked Argo and Lincoln but you need to add The Hobbit, all of which are worth owning on BD. Saw Silver Linings Playbook the other day and it was just OK, making fun of mental illness made me uneasy. Not interested in Django, the last Tarantino film I liked was Jackie Brown.

I'm with you re Django; I'm not a Tarantino fan at all. Can't add The Hobbit to this list, since it wasn't nominated for a Best Picture Oscar.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Old 01-28-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Zero Dark Thirty was a remarkable film. It painted a believable picture of the subject matter. It's just important to research a movie like that before watching. Some people went into the theater expecting Black Hawk Down II and came away disappointed. If your expectation was for a suspense film and not an action film, then ZDT delivered in spades. Also, the audio design really contributed to the tension in the raid scene (Not a spoiler, as it's in the trailer)--you could feel the "thwack" of every silenced round.

Lincoln nearly put me to sleep--it was a good history movie, but it was simply longer than it should have been.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:30 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Zero Dark Thirty was a remarkable film. It painted a believable picture of the subject matter. It's just important to research a movie like that before watching. Some people went into the theater expecting Black Hawk Down II and came away disappointed. If your expectation was for a suspense film and not an action film, then ZDT delivered in spades. Also, the audio design really contributed to the tension in the raid scene (Not a spoiler, as it's in the trailer)--you could feel the "thwack" of every silenced round.

Lincoln nearly put me to sleep--it was a good history movie, but it was simply longer than it should have been.

Totally agree. I didn't see Lincoln but ZDT was simply enthralling for me.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:34 PM

Liked: 17
DREDD.

biggrin.gif
Old 01-29-2013, 12:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Django, it's rare to have a film with such amazing actors stealing scenes from each other for the entirety of the film. Argo was good very good but Django was great.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
Old 01-29-2013, 10:05 AM

Liked: 16
Django. Shortest 2 hour and 45 minutes of my life. Great acting. Great story. Every scene had a purpose. No obnoxious product placement. And it royally pissed off demagogues like Spike Lee and the entire bedwetting "no-violence-for-my-kids" lobby industry. Just hand the award to QT folks, its over.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 272
What i know for shure is that Argo probably is gonna win Best picture and Django Unchained certainly will not win Best Picture smile.gif
Old 01-29-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

You're not alone in that sentiment, but then you don't get to see the movies before the Oscars are awarded. Plus, you don't get to experience things like high frame rate and Dolby Atmos, neither of which will be available at home any time soon. I love my home theater, but I also enjoy going out to the movies, as long as it's a good presentation, so I'm careful about which theaters I attend.

I wouldn't mind experiencing those new technologies, if I didn't have to travel long distances to the one theater within 100 miles that has them, pay premium prices, buy tickets in advance -- and still be forced to endure the boorish behavior of typical movie audiences and the contiuing likelihood that, even it advanced rooms, the projection and/or sound will somehow be compromised.

The film exhibition industry has chosen not to serve patrons like me, and that's their privilege. I'm just happy there's an alternative that costs no more than 100 trips to a movie theater over 10 years for me and my wife (eg, $3000 for a decent HT rig). Waiting a few months to see movies is a sacrifice I can live with.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

Old 01-29-2013, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wouldn't mind experiencing those new technologies, if I didn't have to travel long distances to the one theater within 100 miles that has them, pay premium prices, buy tickets in advance -- and still be forced to endure the boorish behavior of typical movie audiences and the contiuing likelihood that, even it advanced rooms, the projection and/or sound will somehow be compromised.

The film exhibition industry has chosen not to serve patrons like me, and that's their privilege. I'm just happy there's an alternative that costs no more than 100 trips to a movie theater over 10 years for me and my wife (eg, $3000 for a decent HT rig). Waiting a few months to see movies is a sacrifice I can live with.

All perfectly reasonable positions, especially if you must travel a far distance. I live in the heart of Hollywood, where there are quite a few excellent rooms with all the latest technologies, and the patrons seem to behave themselves quite well overall. But I realize I'm very fortunate in that regard.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Old 01-29-2013, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gridbug View Post

DREDD.

biggrin.gif

+1

Old 01-29-2013, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Seriously though, Django Unchained - only because it's the only one (of all the movies listed) that I saw - online.  tongue.gif

Old 01-30-2013, 04:20 AM

I would love to vote for Django, but Lincoln will win. Perhaps another Best Supporting Oscar for Christoph Waltz though!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davboy View Post

I would love to vote for Django, but Lincoln will win. Perhaps another Best Supporting Oscar for Christoph Waltz though!

If you want to vote for Django, please do! This poll is about which movie you think should win, not which one you think will win.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Old 01-30-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 45
TOTAL RECALL eek.gif but seriously, 35% of the people that voted on this poll so far have not seen ANY of these films, including myself.....do a smell a trend in this future-society here?

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

Old 01-30-2013, 12:35 PM

I was disappointed in 'Lincoln.' I felt that it should have been called 'Amendment 13.' They made several amateurish mistakes as well. For example, they did not have electric light bulbs during the Civil War. Yet they were featured in the movie. The movie consisted largely of Congressmen arguing with each other.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAPh View Post

I was disappointed in 'Lincoln.' I felt that it should have been called 'Amendment 13.' They made several amateurish mistakes as well. For example, they did not have electric light bulbs during the Civil War. Yet they were featured in the movie. The movie consisted largely of Congressmen arguing with each other.
I share your disappointment, but I think we are in the minority.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Django, was beautiful to look at, and just funny which I wasn't expecting.

D-j-o-e-l, the D isn't silence wink.gif
Old 02-05-2013, 10:41 AM

I have seen all but Amour but if I have to pick one I would go with Silver Linings Playbook..best movie I have seen in a long time
Old 02-25-2013, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 
What i know for shure is that Argo probably is gonna win Best picture and Django Unchained certainly will not win Best Picture smile.gif

Argo won best picture wink.gif
Old 02-25-2013, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

Argo won best picture wink.gif

Yep. I thought it would be Lincoln, but Argo makes sense, especially since it's about the movie business doing something noble. Self-referential and self-congratulatory, so of course the movie industry voted for it! Not that it's a bad move; far from it, I'm sure. (Haven't seen it yet, but from all I've heard, it's a great movie.) In fact, I was impressed at how even the field was this year, with many deserving nominees in most categories.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Old 02-25-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I vote Argo, but of course my choice has the distinct advantage of some Monday morning quarterbacking!

Hindsight IS 20/20, gentlemen! smile.gif

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!