Do You Prefer Bipole, Dipole, or Monopole Surround Speakers? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Do You Prefer Bipole, Dipole, or Monopole Surround Speakers?
Bipole 68 27.64%
Dipole 54 21.95%
Monopole 124 50.41%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 99 Old 04-10-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post



Since I posted this, replacing my surrounds with JBL Pro Cinema 8340a's that, with an available mount from JBL, aims them right down at the listener while being high up on the wall. This had opened up a whole new world of surround immersion for me. Before my old surrounds where on stands about a foot above ear height and back and to the left/right of my one row of seats. Surround content would be heard but could never get pans and flyovers to sound right. Directly beside me they didn't do it either. With the JBLs they are directly to the left and right of the seating and mounted up 6ft high. This began to solve my surround problem and I finally started getting that 3D surround bubble effect but not totally. Once I replaced my mains with JBL Pro 4722 cabs and P-Audio PH-2380a Horn and matching BMD-750II 3in compresssion driver i bought from a cinema that closed down for a steal, and treated the bejesus out of my room with absorption panels it all came together. It could only get better cause im just using a stock 1,200hz passive crossover between the CD and 2 15" woofers of each screen channel and my next goal is to have the ability to bi amp them. It will only make it even better. I discovered the P-Audio brand on accident too btw. Awesome stuff.

Before my surrounds were an after thought but now they along with my mains all merges together to sound like one giant speaker. Front to back pans and flyovers now creat almost like smoke trails in the air they are so distinct. Dynamics and midbass improved immensley with the pro gear too. True cinema sound.

I think it comes down to placement, acoustics, trial and error for each individuals space and tastes, and experimentig with different crossover settings and delay to get the surrounds to blend the best, be it mono or bi or di pole. Never stop experimenting.smile.gif

Edit: forgot to add proper EQ to the list of the total package.

You might want to aim the side surrounds at the far seat across the room. That way the seat nearest to the side surround is getting off axis sound (lower SPL) and will help even out the sound at all seats. I use the JBL 8340's. Older version with the MDF cabinets. Very good surround speakers.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 99 Old 04-12-2014, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reddig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hays
Posts: 1,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

You might want to aim the side surrounds at the far seat across the room. That way the seat nearest to the side surround is getting off axis sound (lower SPL) and will help even out the sound at all seats. I use the JBL 8340's. Older version with the MDF cabinets. Very good surround speakers.
Hey thanks for the tip but I may have worded it wrong above and regarding surround height I actually found that out for myself the hard way. First try I had them mounted the height on the wall so they each fired at the middle seat of a 3 seat row but like you said the side seats would get over powered by the surround closest to it. So next I raised them to fire just as you have recommended and it fixed the problem along with smoother pans and such. What really sucked was that the left surround is on a wall that is cement so re drilling for the mount was a pain as was having 4 holes in the wall. Luckily I have an absorption panel mounted over it to hide the evidence of my mistake.
Thanks again and I remember reading you use the nice wood 8340s. Very nice. What's your mains again? SEOS Tempests?

JBL Pro Cinema
Reddig is online now  
post #93 of 99 Old 04-27-2014, 11:23 PM
Senior Member
 
uscpsycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

I couldn't answer the survey. I realize that in post production a single person at a mixing console in a small room uses monopoles throughout, even when creating the theater mix that will use multiple monopoles (ie, diffuse surround) for reproduction. But I have found that only works at home in special circumstances. To be satisfying, I have found:

  • Small room & me in the primary listening spot. Monopoles can be AWESOME.
  • Large room and me in any spot close to (or in) the primary listening position. Monopoles can be good.
  • Small room and me not in the primary spot. Dipoles. Always. No question.

In short: I hate monopoles in a small room where am I not in the MLP -- where I might have the left surround a foot from me, and the right surround 10 feet from me. The mix is far more screwed up (both in terms of time alignment and level balance and positioning) in that scenario than if the room used dipoles. One can say dipoles lack precision, but in many domestic rooms, there isn't enough space for more than one person to get a precise experience with monopoles, anyway.

So my survey answer would be:

The right speakers for the room and my seating location -- and this varies based on the size of the room and where I am sitting.

(And it gets even more complex when taking into account different post houses use different standards for how they treat the surrounds.)
What exactly qualifies as a large/small room?

My new dedicated HT is 15' x 12.5' which is probably somewhere between large and small. I'm going to have one row about nine feet back and the second row right up against the back wall. Trying to figure out what type of speakers are going to be best for sides and rears. Advice?
uscpsycho is offline  
post #94 of 99 Old 04-27-2014, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,944
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 81
If most seats are a similar distance from the surrounds, that's a big room. If there is tremendous seat to seat variation, that's a small room.

For example, if your room is twelve feet wide, and some people will be 1 foot from the right surround and ten feet from the left surround, directional speakers will give wildly different experiences to the listeners. Dipole will give less variation. But for the person in the prime listening position, direct radiators would be fine.

So what matters to you? More even experience seat to seat, or a single seat that is perfect?
nathan_h is offline  
post #95 of 99 Old 04-28-2014, 02:27 AM
Senior Member
 
uscpsycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

If most seats are a similar distance from the surrounds, that's a big room. If there is tremendous seat to seat variation, that's a small room.

For example, if your room is twelve feet wide, and some people will be 1 foot from the right surround and ten feet from the left surround, directional speakers will give wildly different experiences to the listeners. Dipole will give less variation. But for the person in the prime listening position, direct radiators would be fine.

So what matters to you? More even experience seat to seat, or a single seat that is perfect?
If most seats are going to be the same distance from the surrounds I'd probably only have three seats right in the middle of the room. There are going to be four seats about 2/3 of the way back and five seats all the way back. Some people will be right next to a surround, some people will be all the way across the room from it and one lucky person (me) will be dead center. By your definition it seems like just about any dedicated theater will be "small" because for it to be "large" you would have lots of open space and very few seats.

I enjoy being able to hear a plane fly from front-left to rear-right so it sounds like monopoles are best for me sitting in the sweet spot. But is this necessarily going to be a bad experience for people sitting right next to the surrounds, or just less than optimal?

How does something like the Triad diplole surrounds fit into the mix? They are diploes with a third direct firing speaker. Is this the best of both worlds? I think some manufacturers call this tripole.
uscpsycho is offline  
post #96 of 99 Old 04-28-2014, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Frank Derks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Region A,B,C
Posts: 1,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Monopoles.

Mandatory for multichannel music listening.
.
Frank Derks is offline  
post #97 of 99 Old 04-28-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,944
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscpsycho View Post

If most seats are going to be the same distance from the surrounds I'd probably only have three seats right in the middle of the room. There are going to be four seats about 2/3 of the way back and five seats all the way back. Some people will be right next to a surround, some people will be all the way across the room from it and one lucky person (me) will be dead center. By your definition it seems like just about any dedicated theater will be "small" because for it to be "large" you would have lots of open space and very few seats.

I enjoy being able to hear a plane fly from front-left to rear-right so it sounds like monopoles are best for me sitting in the sweet spot. But is this necessarily going to be a bad experience for people sitting right next to the surrounds, or just less than optimal?

How does something like the Triad diplole surrounds fit into the mix? They are diploes with a third direct firing speaker. Is this the best of both worlds? I think some manufacturers call this tripole.

Triads are traditional dipoles. There are some companies that make switchable bi / di poles.

I think you have to make the choice we have all had to make:

If you can always sit in the sweet spot, and there aren't any other critical listeners, in a small room like you describe, go with the direct radiating surrounds.
If you have multiple critical listeners, or want to have similar sonic experiences in multiple seats, direct radiators won't be ideal.

Either way is a compromise for some listeners in some seats. You have to choose which compromise matters less to you.

Or try both and see!

In fact, some people even wire up their system with both kinds of speakers and switch between the two depending on content material and who is watching etc.
nathan_h is offline  
post #98 of 99 Old 05-16-2014, 03:08 AM
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Bipole for surrounds for me

_________________________

Frank

Franin is offline  
post #99 of 99 Old 05-27-2014, 10:09 PM
Member
 
LDizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Voted monopole. Never really considered myself as having a preference in this either way, but after some thought decided on monopole because I think they may be slightly more capable of conveying the intent of the sound mixer(s).

I think a diffuse or localized sound field should be a result of the recording not so much the speakers, in the context of the sweet spot anyway.
Dan Hitchman likes this.

Sincerely, the frugal audiophile
LDizzle is offline  
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Polls

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off