How Do You Mostly Receive Broadcast TV? - Page 6 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: How Do You Mostly Receive Broadcast TV?
Terrestrial OTA 275 42.77%
Cable 179 27.84%
Satellite 135 21.00%
Online 30 4.67%
I don't watch broadcast TV 24 3.73%
Voters: 643. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 205 Old 04-19-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 29
It's impossible for me to answer the poll.  My viewing of broadcast channels is 0% satellite and <1% on-line, but the rest is about evenly divided between terrestrial OTA (that's oxymoronic, isn't it) and cable, and picking one or the other as the poll requires would be misrepresentative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 205 Old 04-20-2013, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
This is a really interesting thread. My only objection is that I get agitated & jealous of the people who are able to pickup a decent OTA signal. Digital broadcasting really is a terrific opportunity, the PQ is generally better than cable TV, and it is priced right.

As expensive as my Charter digital TV package is compared to years past, I have to admit it delivers a lot of value. You really can't compare high-def digital TV with a DVR with what we were paying for 5 years ago. For me, it's a little too much of a good thing, I only need half a dozen channels.

I have started streaming TV on the internet. Honestly, as badly as I want to cut the cord, I don't see the internet as being quite there yet. The basic cable option, where it exists, is an analog signal that really doesn't cut it on today's TVs, that route is unattractive. I will loudly posture and threaten to cut the cord for a while, and when PBS becomes available in some option other than a full-featured TV package, I will boldly go where plenty of men have gone before.
post #153 of 205 Old 04-21-2013, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It is the higher and higher cost of cable/dish that is driving most to cut the cord. Also, there are more and more shows on cable/dish that are repeats or just not making new ones as fast.
There keep the cost going higher all time mine braking point this year was adding $5.00 for local channels.
The only way to bring down the price is just cut the cord it is free to do in the USA. wink.gif

Today I have a DVR OAT that record two programs at one time and I have a better pitcher that cable gives me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Burger View Post

This is a really interesting thread. My only objection is that I get agitated & jealous of the people who are able to pickup a decent OTA signal. Digital broadcasting really is a terrific opportunity, the PQ is generally better than cable TV, and it is priced right.

As expensive as my Charter digital TV package is compared to years past, I have to admit it delivers a lot of value. You really can't compare high-def digital TV with a DVR with what we were paying for 5 years ago. For me, it's a little too much of a good thing, I only need half a dozen channels.

I have started streaming TV on the internet. Honestly, as badly as I want to cut the cord, I don't see the internet as being quite there yet. The basic cable option, where it exists, is an analog signal that really doesn't cut it on today's TVs, that route is unattractive. I will loudly posture and threaten to cut the cord for a while, and when PBS becomes available in some option other than a full-featured TV package, I will boldly go where plenty of men have gone before.
post #154 of 205 Old 04-22-2013, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
OTA - rooftop antenna.
OTA Newbie likes this.
post #155 of 205 Old 04-23-2013, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Satellite Directv.
post #156 of 205 Old 04-25-2013, 11:39 AM

Liked: 10
I do have an HD Antenna for local free OTA content, but for the most part I dont find much TV in the USA worth watching. I dont find boys running around with no shirts vampires and the walking dead to be worth watching. I find myself watching a lot of Korean Shows with Sub-titles. Korean shows are new and fresh.

The Truth will find a way!
post #157 of 205 Old 04-29-2013, 10:35 PM

OTA only for the last 20 years. I am 42 miles from the transmitters and get very good reception with an attic antenna and amplifier. The picture quality and the price are both the best. smile.gif

I hope the FCC doesn't force broadcasters out with the spectrum grab that seems to be consuming more and more of the TV frequencies.
post #158 of 205 Old 05-02-2013, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
OTA.
The others are just getting to be super expensive rip offs, contracts and fees that are pure BS.
OTA Newbie and thrillcat like this.
post #159 of 205 Old 05-03-2013, 01:00 PM

Liked: 13
I'm in the process of converting over from cable (Comcast) to satellite (DirecTV) and now to OTA plus some ClearQAM channels off my cable internet cable feed. Rising fees and dropped coverage prompted the move.

Using a dual tuner card in an HTPC running Media Center for the OTA channels and an HDHomeRun box off the cable, combining those two should net about 150 different channels. Had not seen an OTA HD broadcast before and an really amazed at the improved picture quality compared to cable and satellite. I can now flip between all three at the same time on the same set and that comparison really shows up the picture quality degradation on cable/sat. Will be nice when I can drop that $130/mo. satellite bill next January.

Also got fed up with DIrecTV's attempt as "Media Sharing" on the STBs/DVRs. They offer such limited support for media formats and the PC access app is a joke, it was written back in 2009 and they are not even supporting it any more, yet tout it as part of their "DirecTV Everywhere" solution. With a PC at every screen, it only takes a minute to download a codec if you need to view some different media format.
post #160 of 205 Old 05-04-2013, 02:53 PM

Converting over is not hard save a lot cash.
The down side I had was no DVR. Now I that fix ever thin is biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif again even better is play a better video than cable. wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Crawler View Post

I'm in the process of converting over from cable (Comcast) to satellite (DirecTV) and now to OTA plus some ClearQAM channels off my cable internet cable feed. Rising fees and dropped coverage prompted the move.

Using a dual tuner card in an HTPC running Media Center for the OTA channels and an HDHomeRun box off the cable, combining those two should net about 150 different channels. Had not seen an OTA HD broadcast before and an really amazed at the improved picture quality compared to cable and satellite. I can now flip between all three at the same time on the same set and that comparison really shows up the picture quality degradation on cable/sat. Will be nice when I can drop that $130/mo. satellite bill next January.

Also got fed up with DIrecTV's attempt as "Media Sharing" on the STBs/DVRs. They offer such limited support for media formats and the PC access app is a joke, it was written back in 2009 and they are not even supporting it any more, yet tout it as part of their "DirecTV Everywhere" solution. With a PC at every screen, it only takes a minute to download a codec if you need to view some different media format.
post #161 of 205 Old 05-09-2013, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Dish sat. and also HTPC or PC to TV sometimes .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #162 of 205 Old 05-10-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithdoor View Post

Converting over is not hard save a lot cash.
The down side I had was no DVR. Now I that fix ever thin is biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif again even better is play a better video than cable. wink.gif

Yes, the key to the whole DVR setup is getting accurate EPG/Guide information. That is what is taking me the most time with the ClearQAM channels off of Comcast. They don't broadcast that information on many of the channels and on some it is incorrect. So having to manually correct and map EPG information to the various channels, then merge those with the OTA channels off the antenna feed. So far getting most of that figured out with the DVBLink server feeding Windows 8 Media Center. Earlier this week got the Connect Server set up to send the tuner configs around to my 2nd PC, so once you set up the first PC as a server, all the other PCs just pick up the same set of tuners and Guide information. Took me a few weeks to fumble through the DVBLink setup to get things mostly working, now just working out all the little glitches.
post #163 of 205 Old 05-10-2013, 04:42 PM

I use the PHD VRX has a good for 1 to 2 days out works great for DVR
post #164 of 205 Old 05-23-2013, 11:31 PM

The broadcast channels that are not on cable, that I like to watch, I can see either OTA, or through Roku.

The signal to Roku for some channels is not so good (that is, the problem coming from the source, and not a Roku problem).

The difficulty is not having enough inputs with the flatscreen TV. A lot would be solved if, and when I get a receiver with pass-through HDMI.

I get the OTA channels through an RCA Box, that delviers the signal to my VCR. I send the VCR singals to the TV with RCA cables.

I run cable direct, without a box, to the 75ohm connector with the TV (using the TV's C-QAM tuner) to get cable channels that I would not otherwise get using the cable DTA box (which is free from Time Warner for now). The DTA box is connected to the TV with HDMI, as is the Roku and the BD Player.

Cable Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #165 of 205 Old 05-24-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 60
There may be more joining the OTA viewers according to this May 20, 2013 article in Broadcast Engineering...

http://broadcastengineering.com/ott/directv-considers-rf-antennas-challenge-broadcast-retrans-fees

"Due to the high retransmission fees it has to pay to broadcasters, DirecTV will soon test a new set-top box configuration that incorporates an over-the-air broadcast antenna in several to-be-determined markets." (Everything old is new again. That's what they used to do.)

"The scheme could also help DirecTV avoid paying millions of dollars each year to broadcasters for the right to carry (and resell) television programming broadcast by the four major networks and their respective affiliates."

biggrin.gif
post #166 of 205 Old 05-25-2013, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Egreat gives me everything and more- FREE:)smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
post #167 of 205 Old 05-28-2013, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have OTA antenna but rarely watch broadcast TV.
post #168 of 205 Old 05-28-2013, 07:20 PM

I Watch all local stations ota the picture is better and heavy rain doesn't effect it like it does satellite .
post #169 of 205 Old 06-03-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
1.) Dish Network
2.) OTA via dongle attached to Hopper (for the subchannels not carried on satellite)
3.) OTA via TV tuner (JIC there is a problem with the dongle and to keep the clock set)

I get one out of market signal (WKBN-DT) via the dongle.
I get one in market station only via satellite (WMFD).

Everything else comes in triplicate! HD - satellite, SD - satellite, OTA.

Rain fade is virtually a non issue here.
post #170 of 205 Old 06-05-2013, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 58
We use OTA and Netflix, the poor mans cable.

Plus my kids are limited to 2 hours of screen time a day so paying for cable service would go largely unused anyway.

I do sometimes miss the sports offered through a cable or satalite service.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #171 of 205 Old 06-17-2013, 01:24 AM

I watch local subchannels quite a bit so I rely on my antenna. I am using DirecTV for the primary channels on the local affiliates but it is nice to have the OTA option. I also use OTA for recording network TV on my computer. If it weren't for Comcrap being the only realistic high-speed Internet option I would not have deal with a cable company for anything.
post #172 of 205 Old 06-18-2013, 03:56 PM

I'm OTA with a cheap analog antenna. Alternately I use an Apple Tv with my cable Internet connection. This works great since I'm in central Austin. I have a buddy who lives in Wimberley about 40-50 miles out. He uses a MOHU and picks up all the Austin and San Antonio stations. http://m.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/mohu-announces-its-skyhd-outdoor-antenna-promising-free-1080p-ota-content/
post #173 of 205 Old 06-19-2013, 10:44 AM

Liked: 12
OTA only, via a roof-top antenna that never made it past the 3 ft chain link fence....We're able to pick up all the Cleveland stations and after almost three years, we decided not to even bother with putting the antenna up on the high pitched, two-story roof. biggrin.gif

Public library and occasional Redbox for movies.

No way would we ever go back to paying for TV again!
post #174 of 205 Old 06-21-2013, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
OTA only from a 70 foot Delhi tower. Get stations (including VHF) from three states with the UHF section of a Delhi VU-936SR plus UHF superzoom extension after antenna broke in two after 14 years. Usually get three "copies" of each network.

Will never, ever, subscribe to cable or satellite TV. 57+ channels and nothing on.
post #175 of 205 Old 06-22-2013, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Dish network some local Terrestrial over antenna.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #176 of 205 Old 07-04-2013, 07:05 AM

Boy howdy, how things have changed.
I live in my childhood (mostly) home now. Back then we had a 25 ft free standing antenna in the woods and it was the tallest thing around. We'd pull in channels (on certain days from ~90+ miles away), but for the most part it was more entertaining to be outside that what there was to do watching the boob tube most of the time.
A few decades later and that antenna is dwarfed & broken by the trees and time/weather\neglect. We live very rural but the 20 years ago the cable company was nice enough mad.gifwink.gif to invest in the the area; people just a few hundred feet down the road have been S.O.L. this whole time (eventually small dish satellite matured so they have modern TV options - that are comparable) but they never had a well priced Internet option; DSL wasn't being offered.

While I wish I could get a lump sum payment for all the money we've paid cable and a chance to never bring a TV into the home. eek.gif TV has been a companion for some.

Without cable, we would need about another 15-20 feet to that old tower and a very powerful antenna to pull in all of the Primetime OTA VHF station (we can't currently get CBS O.T.A.) - the rest can be brought in with a decent Indoor/outdoor UHF antenna.

So Cable is the current crutch
My viewing is @ about 60% CABLE; the other 40% I now find easily ONLINE at (*cough* alternative *cough* sites *cough). As things stand now, I could cut all but the Internet from my Cable package and find everything I need between OTA locals for 3 of 4 Major networks + PBS and the rest of the shows online.
The problem is that it's 99% of what others in the house use and will be capable of using for some time to come is strictly CABLE frown.gif.
post #177 of 205 Old 07-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

OTA rooftop antenna for 16 years. Once streaming became available, for me, it's now about 80% streaming (Roku/computer via 7mb DSL) and 20% OTA, mostly sports on OTA. My wife watches more OTA, about 50%. In our house, the internet rules for news and information. Our blu-ray player is used every few days for Netflix discs.

When we dropped cable all those years ago, it took some time to adjust but was not difficult. We made the decision and life went on. Lately, it seems like ESPN will eventually control access to all sports broadcasts, so I am slowly mentally weaning myself off sports. I'm now completely over their control of college bowl games. After missing two seasons now, I simply don't care about watching college football. Baseball and basketball long ago disappeared from my interests. Each time this sort of thing happens, it gets easier to walk away.
post #178 of 205 Old 07-04-2013, 01:09 PM

This is a DVR that will record 2 shows at one time I got mine in Jan of this year and works great.
and no more cable bills

"B stock" selling for $200;
http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phdvrxmain.htm
post #179 of 205 Old 07-05-2013, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Fios is good. I might cut the cord when I get older and retire soon.
post #180 of 205 Old 07-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

I've been OTA for the last 10 years overall, & only 4 years for digital (starting with pre-transitional digital). The cost of cable & satellite have gone up so much, that in order to get a few networks I like, I must subscribe to higher priced packages, & that's ridiculous. So I do miss those few network channels I like, but I'd rather save my money by not being forced to subscribe to more channels than I actually watch. For local, & get my local CBS, NBC & Cozi, ABC & Livewell in HD (yes, in HD, as it's an O&O station, & ugh to Livewell), CW with Antenna TV, 3 PBS stations(with one carrying a locally programmed children's channel, one with MHZ Worldview, & another carrying V-Me (PBS en español, though independent from PBS), spliiting the broadcast day with Create & World Channel, & a locally programmed PBS channel without children's programming), Fox, My Network TV with Movies (the newest movie channel in partnership between Weigel Broadcasting & Fox), & an independent owned by Weigel Broadcasting, carrying an independent channel & subchannel, MeTV (also simulcasted on their LPTV station, in turn, that LPTV station carries Bounce), MeToo (local MeTV that's also simulcasted on another LPTV station), & This TV (This TV will move to the CW station in my market this fall, after Weigel Broadcasting ended their partnership with MGM). For other full power station, there's one independent that brokers their timeslots, & leases a subchannel to an LPTV station that still broadcasts on analog, & Univision, Unimás, & Telemundo (also carrying Éxitos TV on a subchannel). For LPTV digital, & have 2 religious broadcasters (Daystar & World Harvest TV), Estrella TV (along with Inmigrante TV), a translator that has HSN & QVC on subchannels, another religious network, & LATV, a hard to get LPTV VHF-LO channel that carries Mundo Fox in HD, Weather Nation, & Soul of the South.
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page