How Do You Mostly Receive Broadcast TV? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: How Do You Mostly Receive Broadcast TV?
Terrestrial OTA 275 42.83%
Cable 178 27.73%
Satellite 135 21.03%
Online 30 4.67%
I don't watch broadcast TV 24 3.74%
Voters: 642. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 205 Old 07-07-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Dish 722 HD DVDR with it's internal OTA tuner. I record everything I can using OTA for locals and use the other two tuners for sat. channels. I record a lot and heavily use a 1.5TB EHD for storage of entire seasons of certain shows like "The Newsroom", "Falling Skies", "Merlin", "Sons of Anarchy", "Dr. Who", "Supernatural", "The Good Wife", "The Walking Dead". Just wait till the off season and watch each episode back to back to back till the season final. Love my OTA abilities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 205 Old 07-08-2013, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OTA 50%. After finally cutting the cord, OTA covers my need for the 4 major broadcasts (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX). PBS is great for my two young children as well. Using an attic mount antenna.

ROKU 30% for Netflix and accessing our movie collection via VUDU

PC 20% for streaming cable shows and sports

My monthly bill for Time Warner cable was $159 per month. I now pay $27 per month for DSL and have no speed issues.
post #183 of 205 Old 07-08-2013, 04:47 PM

Liked: 20
I've cut the cord myself and watch broadcast TV with an antenna mountain on my roof. I have a cable internet connection for streaming netflix, vudu and hulu plus. I currently pay about $75 to my cable provider. I was also thinking of going the DSL rout but was worrying about playback issues when streaming content....that would drop my costs down into the $20-25 range compared to the $200 I was paying for the cable tv/internet/phone bundle through my cable provider.
post #184 of 205 Old 07-08-2013, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 228
We cut the cord a few months ago... We watch HD OTA and use our Amazon Prime for the rest.

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, 2 Danley DTS10 subs, & Yamaha P7000s.
post #185 of 205 Old 07-09-2013, 05:42 AM

Got a 14' ChannelMaster long range antenna and have been picking up everything I need. I also bought a Tivo Premier box so I can easily record and skip through commercials. I get programming information from the internet (can be obtained through a home phone line as well). I can access my Netflix and Amazon Instant Video through an app. I wish Tivo had a Vudu app but they don't have one yet. I have a PS3 for my television downstairs that does have a Vudu app. I do miss having the History Channel, but I download most everything (for free) I need. I also set up an iPhone with Talkatone so I can have a free home phone. The only thing I pay for is the internet. I get the introductory discount and every six months when they are going to take away the discount I tell them that if they do I will switch to another company. For those who do not dowload from torrent sites and would like to get HBO, if you know anyone who pays for it but does not use their HBO GO, get their info and you can use it on a computer, smartphone, or tablet. I have a tablet with an HDMI port and so I can connect it to my television. The same thing can be done with an iPhone via a dock with an HDMI port. By the way, right now Vudu is offering 50% off their disc-to-digital service for ten disc or more. I added 50 movies to my Vudu account last week, mostly borrowing from my brother and friends. I do it from home using my PC, but they can also be taken into Wal-Mart.
post #186 of 205 Old 07-09-2013, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I kicked Dish to the curb a year ago after i bought a Roku player.100% of my tv viewing is done thru the Roku(not counting DVD's) which is connected to my AVR via HDMI.
I have ~8Mbts. of down speed from my ISP (DSL) and have no problems streaming 1080p content.
For important info.,like when hurricanes are approaching,i had been using a small antenna for my local weather but now receive that info.online too.My antenna has pretty much fallen into disuse.
post #187 of 205 Old 07-09-2013, 08:11 PM

Ditched Dish last January. It amazes me that there are over 250 channels and I used to watch about a handful, and even then there was nothing much on. No need to spend that money just to get aggrivatged searching for something to watch. I believe that there will always be cable or Dish, but their heyday has past. Use OTA for local news then Amazon Prime and Netflix for movies.

post #188 of 205 Old 07-09-2013, 08:23 PM

OTA cable free for 3 years, I can get the local sports good enough for me. Using Netflix,Amazon Prime and disc.

post #189 of 205 Old 07-14-2013, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 29
OTA, and using a Channel Master DVR for time shifting. Catching up on older shows via Blu Ray/DVD rentals, Netflix Streaming & Amazon Prime.
post #190 of 205 Old 07-15-2013, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
There are only a handful of shows I care to watch, so I torrent them. **** if I'm getting Showtime just to follow Californication or Starz to follow Spartacus. I preorder the Spartacus etc blu-rays every year. I have some Californication on DVD but it seems stupid to buy the DVD when I can download it in 720P.
post #191 of 205 Old 07-15-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I recently put my Dish account on hold due to being laid off. I just wanted to keep as much in our savings account as possible until I get another job.

OTA makes up about 40%, I use both a dual tuner HDHR3 and a Tivo Premiere to record programs. The majority is from internet services (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu). With Dish it was 60% satellite and 40% internet services. The only thing we really miss is Hallmark. My wife really enjoy's their programming. So I figure we'll probably sign up with a lower tier package from our local cabelco after I get a new job so my wife can get her fix.

We've only had pay-tv for 3 1/2 years though. So my kids still watch a ton of dvd's and streaming video. Since they were never brought up on pay-tv (they're now 21 and 18) they really don't miss it too much.
post #192 of 205 Old 07-15-2013, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

The only thing we really miss is Hallmark. My wife really enjoy's their programming.

http://www.hallmarkspiritclips.com/roku

Enjoy inspiring, family-friendly entertainment on your Roku, including:
Award-winning SpiritClips Original Short Films and more
Heartwarming Hallmark Hall of Fame Movies
Watch on , your computer, and supported mobile devices
for as low as $2.99/month

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #193 of 205 Old 07-15-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

http://www.hallmarkspiritclips.com/roku

Enjoy inspiring, family-friendly entertainment on your Roku, including:
Award-winning SpiritClips Original Short Films and more
Heartwarming Hallmark Hall of Fame Movies
Watch on , your computer, and supported mobile devices
for as low as $2.99/month

Oh we already now about that and it's sister station, Pixl, which has an Youtube channel for $1.99 per month. Unfortunately she has seen all of the made-for-tv movies that are currently on both channels and she really isn't a person to re-watch things. Hallmark will be showing a new series and I bet it won't be available on either online channel. If Spiritclips and/or Pixl get new content more quickly, then we'll probably bite.
post #194 of 205 Old 07-16-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
OTA, HULU, Amazon and some direct streaming using XBMC.

I have comcast, but for internet. I pay TV, but if I don't bundle they charge me more. If there was a viable alternative for internet I'd switch, but because I live high on a mountain, there isn't.

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #195 of 205 Old 07-16-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Cable and one TV is OTA.
post #196 of 205 Old 07-22-2013, 07:42 AM

I don't watch state run propaganda any more. No broadcast TV and we don't miss it. I wonder what snooky is doing now?
post #197 of 205 Old 07-22-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 262
I have an antenna so I get local channels straight to both of my tvs (living room and bedroom) and that's all I care about.
post #198 of 205 Old 07-28-2013, 03:58 PM

I have directv as my current service and I stream Netflix through my ps3 I'm currently looking into other streaming services.
post #199 of 205 Old 12-19-2013, 08:37 AM

Liked: 17

We made the switch to DirecTV a few years ago and have enjoyed it.  At the time we made the switch, quality was better than Cox cable.  However, we have a Cox feed at work and their quality seems to have improved.  Considering we lose reception if a cloud even looks the wrong way at my house/dish -- I might consider switching when my contract is up.  Financially it would make more sense as Cox is the only quality internet provider in our area and I could save a few bucks combining TV + internet.

The real kicker for us is DVR.  Our schedules are crazy busy and it's a must.  

About 80% of the content we watch could be satisfied with OTA + DVR services.  The rest is movies or series that could be viewed with online streaming and/or Blurays.

post #200 of 205 Old 12-19-2013, 09:09 AM

Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimits76 View Post

The real kicker for us is DVR.  Our schedules are crazy busy and it's a must.  

About 80% of the content we watch could be satisfied with OTA + DVR services.  The rest is movies or series that could be viewed with online streaming and/or Blurays.

I've been using a TiVo with an OTA antenna. They charge the monthly fee, but it's still a huge savings over cable/sat. I used the savings to bump up my internet speed and purchase a couple season passes on iTunes for a couple shows I didn't want to give up. Didn't bother with Hulu Plus, but it's another inexpensive option for replacing the subscription.

ChannelMaster just announced the DVR+, which doesn't have a monthly fee. Interesting, but I really like the TiVo and it's not very expensive.

Just a thought. Make a list of the shows you don't want to give up and go through it. You might find it to be worth it to cut the cord and find alternative ways of viewing the content you want. I've just drawn the line in the sand and said "I will pay a premium for the content I want to watch, but I refuse to subsidize the garbage they fill time with."

Case in point:
http://www.musicrow.com/2013/12/cmt-unveils-seven-new-series/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Musicrow+%28MusicRow%29

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #201 of 205 Old 12-20-2013, 07:25 AM

I did find one DVR that has no monthly fee and work like cable with guide and can record two shows at one time.
http://www.epvision.com/

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post

I've been using a TiVo with an OTA antenna. They charge the monthly fee, but it's still a huge savings over cable/sat. I used the savings to bump up my internet speed and purchase a couple season passes on iTunes for a couple shows I didn't want to give up. Didn't bother with Hulu Plus, but it's another inexpensive option for replacing the subscription.

ChannelMaster just announced the DVR+, which doesn't have a monthly fee. Interesting, but I really like the TiVo and it's not very expensive.

Just a thought. Make a list of the shows you don't want to give up and go through it. You might find it to be worth it to cut the cord and find alternative ways of viewing the content you want. I've just drawn the line in the sand and said "I will pay a premium for the content I want to watch, but I refuse to subsidize the garbage they fill time with."

Case in point:
http://www.musicrow.com/2013/12/cmt-unveils-seven-new-series/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Musicrow+%28MusicRow%29
post #202 of 205 Old 12-20-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithdoor View Post

I did find one DVR that has no monthly fee and work like cable with guide and can record two shows at one time.
http://www.epvision.com/

Dave

I have an EPVision tuner, that's rather old, but it's slow and buggy. Not sure if they're improved much or not.

You can buy and HDHomeRun that works via Ethernet and use windows media center or mythtv. MythTV is a bit complicated to setup, but it's pretty cool if you're tech savvy. I'm able to use virtual tuner with MythTV and record 4 channels at one time. I use schedules direct xml file for schedules, but you can also use TitanTV.

XBMC has TVHeadEnd built in and it's super easy to use, but it currently does not work with 8VSB or OTA. Something wrong with the tuner.

Simplest solution for non-techsavvy person is WMC.

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #203 of 205 Old 12-20-2013, 09:16 AM

They have a new update in late Oct 2013 it fix almost all the bugs and speed. Note this update is not listed on there web site see
http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/Documents/PHD-VRX/PHD_VRX_firmware-VRX_243_23_31.zip

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post

I have an EPVision tuner, that's rather old, but it's slow and buggy. Not sure if they're improved much or not.

You can buy and HDHomeRun that works via Ethernet and use windows media center or mythtv. MythTV is a bit complicated to setup, but it's pretty cool if you're tech savvy. I'm able to use virtual tuner with MythTV and record 4 channels at one time. I use schedules direct xml file for schedules, but you can also use TitanTV.

XBMC has TVHeadEnd built in and it's super easy to use, but it currently does not work with 8VSB or OTA. Something wrong with the tuner.

Simplest solution for non-techsavvy person is WMC.
post #204 of 205 Old 12-20-2013, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 73

I voted as my 2012 and 2013 viewing seems to have been: cable.

However, if it weren't for November and December, it would be DVD, Blu-ray and streaming, all from Netflix, since that is how I use a bit more than half of my TV viewing hours, and slightly half via cable. And before 2012 the majority has been Netflix.

November and December 2012 got slanted to cable when I had to upgrade to digital service, started renting a HD DVR, and purchased a smaller HD TV in October 2012, and in the last two months of 2012 enjoyed the end-of-the-earth disaster movies that the SyFy Channel was airing, some movies they had produced in earlier years but I couldn't view until October 2012 because SyFy was among the analog channels killed years before.

November and December 2013 is also slanted to cable, this year big time, as I am attempting to catch up on Christmas specials and Christmas movies I had missed in the preceding few years and watching them in HD, some in HD for the first time ever.

I suspect (but of course don't know for sure) that in future years my TV viewing will return to being more via Netflix (DVD, Blu-ray and streaming) than via cable.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #205 of 205 Old 12-23-2013, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Fios of course. Wide selection of broadcast channels that i wouldn't recieve with an antenna. Plus a DVR to record shows.
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page