Have You Heard Exotic Audio Cables Improve Sound Quality? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Have You Heard Exotic Audio Cables Improve Sound Quality?
Yes, and it was a big improvement 47 8.59%
Yes, but it was only a slight improvement 61 11.15%
No, I did not hear any improvement 301 55.03%
I don't have enough experience to say 138 25.23%
Voters: 547. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 646 Old 03-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Member
 
DarqueKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SDA Sweetspot
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

That's specious reasoning if for no other reason you take for granted there is a difference to begin with.

Any time an electronic signal passes through a conductor, circuit or component, the signal will emerge different on the other end. That is just common sense. Whether the difference is perceivable, measurable, pleasant or unpleasant is something to be determined by the evaluator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

The argument goes that if you can't hear the benefits of expensive cables it's because you haven't spent enough on gear. Then it follows that you must also be a Very Special Person to perceive these differences. All this ignoring the well understood and documented factors such as bias, placebo and the obvious Emporer's New Clothes effect.

That is not my argument at all. I don't see where it was aceg1's argument either. My argument is that a stereophonic sound field is a complex sensory presentation that requires training and experience in sound localization for proper evaluation. The Bell Laboratories scientists who invented home stereo systems said the same thing. You don't need special golden ears to be able to localize and characterize sound images within a stereo sound stage. People with impaired hearing are quite capable of doing it. You also do not need uber expensive equipment to achieve a satisfying stereophonic sound stage presentation.

Are there snobs who like to feel special because they spent a lot of money on equipment? Sure there are, but there is no justification for painting all audiophiles with the same elitist brush because of some people's ignorance.
DarqueKnight is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 646 Old 03-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Victor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: North Potomac, MD, USA
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarqueKnight View Post

Any time an electronic signal passes through a conductor, circuit or component, the signal will emerge different on the other end. That is just common sense. Whether the difference is perceivable, measurable, pleasant or unpleasant is something to be determined by the evaluator. ...
Sure, but try to measure in room acoustic response and loudspeaker distortions (just as a start) and compare that with "perceivable, measurable, pleasant or unpleasant " difference cable with sufficient gauge can ever produce in the worst case scenario.
Victor is offline  
post #183 of 646 Old 03-04-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MichaelJHuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 18,767
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Science is supposed to be about forming a hypothesis, then proving it. Given a sufficient number of papers on a subject, backed by proof and especially whose results are repeated by other scientists, the theories become accepted fact (.e.g plate tectonics.)

Religion is faith based. Many people prey for their loved one to get better, and they die. Most people I know don't assume that's disproved their faith. Bad analogy maybe. But maybe you get my point.

"But this one goes up to 11"
MichaelJHuman is online now  
post #184 of 646 Old 03-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Member
 
DarqueKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SDA Sweetspot
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post

Sure, but try to measure in room acoustic response and loudspeaker distortions (just as a start) and compare that with "perceivable, measurable, pleasant or unpleasant " difference cable with sufficient gauge can ever produce in the worst case scenario.

Things like sound localization and sound characterization should not be overwhelmed by the distortions caused by rooms and loudspeakers. If your room and loudspeakers do not allow perceiving such differences, you should not be doing any critical listening with those loudspeakers in that room.
DarqueKnight is offline  
post #185 of 646 Old 03-04-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RTROSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Central Indiana
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
You can spend 14k on speaker cables if you want, but I bet even your 300K set of speakers has all of a couple of bucks worth of low bid cable from the terminals to the crossover to the drivers. JMHO.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
RTROSE is offline  
post #186 of 646 Old 03-04-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RTROSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Central Indiana
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

Well then I suppose apples are also oranges as well then.

You must be talking about Logans Dimension X now aaustin. Oh, and there are alligators in the sewers.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
RTROSE is offline  
post #187 of 646 Old 03-04-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
repete66211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kansas City area
Posts: 1,563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarqueKnight View Post

Whether the difference is perceivable, measurable, pleasant or unpleasant is something to be determined by the evaluator.
I'm not arguing whether there is a perceived difference but whether that perceived difference really exists. My argument is that if a difference can't be measured and is only perceived by people observing in an uncontrolled setting, some of whom may be motivated to perceive a difference, then such perception is at best unreliable. Control the observational setting against bias and those perceived differences evaporate.
imagic likes this.

repete66211 is offline  
post #188 of 646 Old 03-04-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
aaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

You must be talking about Logans Dimension X now aaustin. Oh, and there are alligators in the sewers.

Regards,

RTROSE

So is time going backwards or forwards? Or was it side to side?

Who am I kidding, we cannot even perceive what goes on in Dimension X. biggrin.gif

Anyway, back on topic. cool.gif

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

aaustin is offline  
post #189 of 646 Old 03-04-2013, 07:24 PM
Member
 
DemonicLemming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceg1 View Post

A few of us understand your logic. In the same way a vast majority of people can not tell the difference between a standard defintion tv and a high definition tv. Or see the difference between dvd and blu-ray. Or see interlacing artifacts in a picture. Or see the "rainbow" effect in DLP projectors. Just because one can not perceive subtle changes in things does not mean the changes do not exist. I could easily set-up a blind test comparing a properly calibrated projector and another projector that is slightly out of calibration. I can surmise very few would be able to tell the difference. So I guess the conclusion would be one shouldn't calibrate a projector because the "average" person can't tell the difference.

Now that's right ********. "The vast majority" of people can't tell the difference between SDTV and HDTV, or a blu-ray and a DVD? You're stretching to ridiculous lengths to try and qualify your argument, and it's not making it look any better.
DemonicLemming is offline  
post #190 of 646 Old 03-04-2013, 07:39 PM
Member
 
DemonicLemming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarqueKnight View Post

That is not my argument at all. I don't see where it was aceg1's argument either. My argument is that a stereophonic sound field is a complex sensory presentation that requires training and experience in sound localization for proper evaluation. The Bell Laboratories scientists who invented home stereo systems said the same thing. You don't need special golden ears to be able to localize and characterize sound images within a stereo sound stage. People with impaired hearing are quite capable of doing it. You also do not need uber expensive equipment to achieve a satisfying stereophonic sound stage presentation.

Are there snobs who like to feel special because they spent a lot of money on equipment? Sure there are, but there is no justification for painting all audiophiles with the same elitist brush because of some people's ignorance.

And what would happen to those "highly-trained critical listeners" if you sat them down in a live concert instead of in front of a set of speakers? Their heads would explode. Because it's not accurate reproduction of the studio-recorded music. Course, the whole point of things like tube amps and vinyl in a now-digital world is to actively induce a specific set of distortions to more recreate the concert experience, not the studio experience.

As are (and for the sake of this argument I'll allow that cables do make a difference, although I don't believe they do) swapping all sorts of cables to change the way the music sounds. Unless you were personally present in the studio and listened to the music being recorded, then claims of making the soundstage wider, or the highs more transparent, or whatever other audible magic a power cable is supposed to do, is merely after the goal of actively increasing the distortion of music. Which seems rather counter to the stated goals of "absolute neutrality" I see so many cable guys claim to strive after.

We could run with the concept of behavioral training and resultant expected bias all night. Are there really that many people who take more joy in listening to their gear than their music? I guess when you're willing to spend $5,000 on a power cable, you're less interested in the music than the analysis.

I like using a broad brush on audiophiles because they believe their opinions trump science and physics.
DemonicLemming is offline  
post #191 of 646 Old 03-04-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jinjuku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceg1 View Post

A few of us understand your logic. In the same way a vast majority of people can not tell the difference between a standard defintion tv and a high definition tv.

Do you have any source to backup such an absurd claim?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceg1 View Post

Or see the difference between dvd and blu-ray.

I have seen some people say they are happy with the PQ of DVD even though they admit BR does look better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceg1 View Post

Or see the "rainbow" effect in DLP projectors. Just because one can not perceive subtle changes in things does not mean the changes do not exist. I could easily set-up a blind test comparing a properly calibrated projector and another projector that is slightly out of calibration. I can surmise very few would be able to tell the difference. So I guess the conclusion would be one shouldn't calibrate a projector because the "average" person can't tell the difference.

Not all DLP's will give you the Rainbow Effect. You could easily setup a blind test of calibrated vs non-calibrated PJ and I could easily bring a Colorimeter.

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

Jinjuku is offline  
post #192 of 646 Old 03-05-2013, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vision-master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

Science is supposed to be about forming a hypothesis, then proving it. Given a sufficient number of papers on a subject, backed by proof and especially whose results are repeated by other scientists, the theories become accepted fact (.e.g plate tectonics.)

Religion is faith based. Many people prey for their loved one to get better, and they die. Most people I know don't assume that's disproved their faith. Bad analogy maybe. But maybe you get my point.

So you haven't heard of the Expanding Earth theory OR the Helical Model - our Galaxy is a vortex!
vision-master is offline  
post #193 of 646 Old 03-05-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
repete66211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kansas City area
Posts: 1,563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision-master View Post

So you haven't heard of the Expanding Earth theory OR the Helical Model - our Galaxy is a vortex!
Interesting, but fantasy. The Expanding Earth theory isn't a theory, it's a hypothesis. And it's unsupported by evidence. In fact, there's evidence against it. Wiki:
Quote:
The theory had never developed a plausible and verifiable mechanism of action, but neither had any of its competing theories. During the 1960s, the theory of plate tectonics made all other theories obsolete following the discovery of subduction, which was found to be an important part of a mechanism of action.
Phil Plait already tackled the problems with the helical galaxy model.

But in a world where inert cables can add information to a signal I suppose anything is possible...

repete66211 is offline  
post #194 of 646 Old 03-05-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vision-master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
lol - could dinosaurs live today?

Also, YOUR theory of evolution is hogwash. smile.gif

You have been SCHOOLED for the corporate world - not educated. smile.gif
vision-master is offline  
post #195 of 646 Old 03-05-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MichaelJHuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 18,767
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 99
To address an above statement, I believe a signal traveling though copper will change. There's a huge spectrum of electromagnetic waves which could be introduced for example. But will it be changed in any way which effects the audio band? I assume there's filters on the inputs. And those same waves could affect any part of the signal chain.

Anyway, I don't worry about analog audio transmission. I am pretty much all digital these days. With digital, you do have the potential issue that the signal degrades enough so that the bits can't be read properly or you have excess jitter. I have yet to see it demonstrated that in practice in a typical home setup, problems are occurring. Seeing how video over HDMI is much more demanding than audio, I would look for video artifacts. If I did not see that, I could guess that the audio is perfect (a guess I admit.)

"But this one goes up to 11"
MichaelJHuman is online now  
post #196 of 646 Old 03-05-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vision-master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Cymatic experiment

SumerCylinderSeal6.jpg
vision-master is offline  
post #197 of 646 Old 03-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Victor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: North Potomac, MD, USA
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarqueKnight View Post

Things like sound localization and sound characterization should not be overwhelmed by the distortions caused by rooms and loudspeakers. If your room and loudspeakers do not allow perceiving such differences, you should not be doing any critical listening with those loudspeakers in that room.
This is true for any loudspeakers in any room except anechoic chamber. Thing like "localization and sound characterization" depends mostly on the loudspeakers, room acoustics, the listener mood and other if the equipments functions properly. So, yes one shouldn't do any critical listening of the cables with any real loudspeakers, in a real room or with a real listener.
Victor is offline  
post #198 of 646 Old 03-05-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jinjuku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

You forgot a poll option: "no improvement, but I've heard expensive wires ruin things"

++^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

The first time, the wires were MITs with their blister-thingy, and the speakers were Martin-Logan Quest-Z's. Compared to other wires, the MITs sounded very dull.

Except any thing with a box of electronics in the middle isn't a cable. I thought you knew that DS biggrin.gif

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

Jinjuku is offline  
post #199 of 646 Old 03-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
hidefpaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Here is my experience: I'll try to be as concise as possible.

My equipment : Integra DHC 80.3 pre amp / Parasound Halo A52 - 5 Ch amp/ Oppo BDP 93/ Elac FS247 - L R C - & Surrounds / Audio Quest 80$ speaker cables (for 2 - 6' cables)/ 60" Pioneer Elite

Local A/V Boutique shop - loans me ( with Credit card deposit) a pair of Nordost Blue Heaven LS - 6' if I recall correctly.

Take them home for 1 week - listen to them playing my CDs & some 2 ch lossless tracks on BDs - both through analog and digital (HDMI ) connections (2 channel) obviously. I played the same music that I have been listening to for years, one track at a time, first with my (Audio Quest 80$ speaker cables) than the Nordost - after switching out my cables several times I came to the conclusion that I could not hear any differences.
I tried really hard to find even a minute difference! NO such luck! I called my wife and my daughter to have a listen, no one over the week period could tell any differences.

But it gets better!!!!

Thinking its a limitation of my equipment I take back the Nordost cables & I also take my cables to the A/V Boutique shop. I take my cds and start to play my music on their 2 Ch McIntosh gear with the Nordost Blue Heaven LS's in place. Yes, the McIntosh sounded warmer than my system and smoother ( I am not an audiophile so excuse the lingo). Than I proceeded to just swap out the Nordost with MY OWN Audio Quest 80$ speaker cables .
GUESS WHAT??? NO DIFFERENCE WHAT SO EVER IN SOUND.

Just my 2 cents.

Paul
hidefpaul is offline  
post #200 of 646 Old 03-05-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian-HD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 2,218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Round and round we go! If you can hear it that it is great. And some guys on here, aged very nicely but not their hearing. It's a fact that hearing loss is parting of aging. It's a pointless poll because all of us are not at the same point.


Tiny hair cells inside your inner ear help you hear. They pick up sound waves and change them into the nerve signals that the brain interprets as sound. Hearing loss occurs when the tiny hair cells are damaged or die. The hair cells do not regrow, so most hearing loss caused by hair cell damage is permanent.

There is no known single cause of age-related hearing loss. Most commonly, it is caused by changes in the inner ear that occur as you grow older. Your genes and loud noise (such as from rock concerts or music headphones) may play a large role.

The following factors contribute to age-related hearing loss:

Family history (age-related hearing loss tends to run in families)
Repeated exposure to loud noises
Smoking (smokers are more likely to have such hearing loss than nonsmokers)
Certain medical conditions such as diabetes
Certain medicines
imagic likes this.
Brian-HD is offline  
post #201 of 646 Old 03-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,555
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Liked: 2180
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

Here is my experience: I'll try to be as concise as possible.

My equipment : Integra DHC 80.3 pre amp / Parasound Halo A52 - 5 Ch amp/ Oppo BDP 93 / Audio Quest 80$ speaker cables (for 2 - 6' cables)/ 60" Pioneer Elite

Local A/V Boutique shop - loans me ( with Credit card deposit) a pair of Nordost Blue Heaven LS - 6' if I recall correctly.

Take them home for 1 week - listen to them playing my CDs & some 2 ch lossless tracks on BDs - both through analog and digital (HDMI ) connections (2 channel) obviously. I played the same music that I have been listening to for years, one track at a time, first with my (udio Quest 80$ speaker cables) than the Nordost - after switching out my cables several times I came to the conclusion that I could not hear any differences.
I tried really hard to find even a minute difference! NO such luck! I called my wife and my daughter to have a listen no one over the week period could tell any differences.

But it gets better!!!!

Thinking its a limitation of my equipment I take back the Nordost cabes & I also take my cables to the A/V Boutique shop. I take my cds and start to play my music on their 2 Ch McIntosh gear with the Nordost Blue Heaven LS's in place. Yes, the McIntosh sounded warmer than my system and smoother ( I am not an audiophile so excuse the lingo). Than I proceeded to just swap out the Nordost with MY OWN Audio Quest 80$ speaker cables .
GUESS WHAT??? NO DIFFERENCE WHAT SO EVER IN SOUND.

Just my 2 cents.

Paul

So far this is my favorite testimonial. Try before you buy has to be rule #1 when it comes to high-end audio gear of any kind. Did anyone from the HiFi store have any comment about your experience? Also I'd love to know what speakers you use and what speakers were used at the store, that's possibly where the "warmer smoother sound" is coming from.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
imagic is offline  
post #202 of 646 Old 03-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
hidefpaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

So far this is my favorite testimonial. Try before you buy has to be rule #1 when it comes to high-end audio gear of any kind. Did anyone from the HiFi store have any comment about your experience? Also I'd love to know what speakers you use and what speakers were used at the store, that's possibly where the "warmer smoother sound" is coming from.

Hi imagic, sorry I forgot the speakers in my post.... I just added them to my original post, but FYI they are Elac's FS247 - L R C - & Surrounds. The AV Boutique store were using McIntosh speakers I do not recall the model. As for their reaction, they were not at all surprised. I believe they already were aware that there was not going to be any difference in sound, at least I did not hear anything on the 6 different tracks (4 diffrent CD's) we tested. The funny thing was, that the speaker wires ran behind some curtain so they actually (at first) were not aware of which cables (mine or theirs) was at "play".


Paul
hidefpaul is offline  
post #203 of 646 Old 03-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Member
 
DarqueKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SDA Sweetspot
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

I'm not arguing whether there is a perceived difference but whether that perceived difference really exists. My argument is that if a difference can't be measured and is only perceived by people observing in an uncontrolled setting, some of whom may be motivated to perceive a difference, then such perception is at best unreliable. Control the observational setting against bias and those perceived differences evaporate.

In post #161 of this thread I quoted from a Bell Laboratories study with trained listeners under controlled conditions. Perhaps you do not have any confidence in the integrity and competence of the Bell Labs scientists who invented and developed the first home stereo systems.

What do you consider to be the best published example of a stereophonic audio system test under controlled conditions?
DarqueKnight is offline  
post #204 of 646 Old 03-05-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
primetimeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 3,709
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarqueKnight View Post


In post #161 of this thread I quoted from a Bell Laboratories study with trained listeners under controlled conditions. Perhaps you do not have any confidence in the integrity and competence of the Bell Labs scientists who invented and developed the first home stereo systems.

What do you consider to be the best published example of a stereophonic audio system test under controlled conditions?

What were the results of the study?  Your quote just mentions how they chose experienced listeners, nothing about the test or the results.  And I didn't want to pay for the paper but looks like a good read.  :-)

primetimeguy is offline  
post #205 of 646 Old 03-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Member
 
DarqueKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SDA Sweetspot
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonicLemming View Post

And what would happen to those "highly-trained critical listeners" if you sat them down in a live concert instead of in front of a set of speakers? Their heads would explode. Because it's not accurate reproduction of the studio-recorded music.

I am a highly trained critical listener, and a musician, and a scientist, and an audiophile. I frequently attend live concerts as well as perform. My head has not exploded yet, nor have the heads of any of my musician colleagues who are also audiophiles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonicLemming View Post

Course, the whole point of things like tube amps and vinyl in a now-digital world is to actively induce a specific set of distortions to more recreate the concert experience, not the studio experience.

This is true of some people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonicLemming View Post

As are (and for the sake of this argument I'll allow that cables do make a difference, although I don't believe they do) swapping all sorts of cables to change the way the music sounds. Unless you were personally present in the studio and listened to the music being recorded, then claims of making the soundstage wider, or the highs more transparent, or whatever other audible magic a power cable is supposed to do, is merely after the goal of actively increasing the distortion of music. Which seems rather counter to the stated goals of "absolute neutrality" I see so many cable guys claim to strive after.

Actually, the goal of high performance power cables is to reduce the amount of power line noise, and their attendant distortions, in the power signal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonicLemming View Post

We could run with the concept of behavioral training and resultant expected bias all night. Are there really that many people who take more joy in listening to their gear than their music? I guess when you're willing to spend $5,000 on a power cable, you're less interested in the music than the analysis.

Of course there are gear heads in every hobby. There are golfers who enjoy shopping for, and handling, exotic golf clubs more than they enjoy perfecting their swing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonicLemming View Post

I like using a broad brush on audiophiles because they believe their opinions trump science and physics.

Do you also apply this broad brush to the audiophiles at Bell Laboratories who invented and developed home stereo in the 1950's and 1960's? If you search the archives of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, you can also find many papers by audiophile scientists and engineers. In fact the term "sound stage" was introduced into the peer-reviewed technical literature in 1959 in a paper presented to the British Institute of Electrical Engineers Convention on Stereophonic Sound Recording, Reproduction and Broadcasting by British Broadcasting Corporation engineer T. Somerville:

"Sound Stage-It is proposed to use this term to describe the region between the loudspeakers in which the stereophonic images appear. The term "sound field" is deprecated because "field" has other connotations."

[Citation: Somerville, T., "Survey of Stereophony", Proceedings of the Institution of Electrical Engineers, Convention on Stereophonic Sound Recording, Reproduction and Broadcasting, London, March 1959, pp. 201-208.]
DarqueKnight is offline  
post #206 of 646 Old 03-05-2013, 02:40 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,555
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Liked: 2180
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarqueKnight View Post

a. I am a highly trained critical listener, and a musician, and a scientist, and an audiophile.
b. Actually, the goal of high performance power cables is to reduce the amount of power line noise, and their attendant distortions, in the power signal.

Briefly...

a. That's a great combination of passions, hobbies and knowledge
b. If you are that smart, you should know better than to think a power cable could possibly do any of that on its own
repete66211 likes this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
imagic is offline  
post #207 of 646 Old 03-05-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
repete66211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kansas City area
Posts: 1,563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarqueKnight View Post

In post #161 of this thread I quoted from a Bell Laboratories study with trained listeners under controlled conditions. Perhaps you do not have any confidence in the integrity and competence of the Bell Labs scientists who invented and developed the first home stereo systems.
Here is your quote:
Quote:
A long time ago, the Bell Laboratories scientists who invented and developed home stereo systems expressed a desire that people using those systems become proficient in sound localization techniques:

"Critical listeners were sought in these tests because of a desire to set permanent standards. At the moment, only a small percentage of people fully appreciate high fidelity. Even less appreciate or understand stereo. However, there is a growing sophistication evidenced among users of stereo equipment. Anticipating the future, it seemed wise to avoid naive or unconcerned personnel in these tests to prevent establishing loose standards which eventually might have to be abandoned.

The listeners chosen were sophisticated in the art of sound localization either by working in this field or by education before testing. They were felt to be the equal of any serious listener who is accustomed to playing the same records many times and thus becomes familiar with the more subtle artistic and technical effects."

The above quote is from F. K. Harvey and M. R. Schroeder, "Subjective Evaluation of Factors Affecting Two-Channel Stereophony", Journal of The Audio Engineering Society, Vol. 9, No. 1, January 1961, pp. 19-28.
What does that have to do with whether expensive cables make a discernible difference improvement in performance?

repete66211 is offline  
post #208 of 646 Old 03-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
Fat Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 591
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarqueKnight View Post

In post #161 of this thread I quoted from a Bell Laboratories study with trained listeners under controlled conditions. Perhaps you do not have any confidence in the integrity and competence of the Bell Labs scientists who invented and developed the first home stereo systems.

What do you consider to be the best published example of a stereophonic audio system test under controlled conditions?

You are citing a single reference from 1961 when stereophonics was quite new to the home and extremely problematic (both in effective recording and playback). I don't think many believe the science has failed to advance since then.

Further, what did this fifty-two year old paper have to say regarding wire composition that you found so revelatory and still relevant?

There are an extremely limited number of parameters and environmental factors (crosstalk/interference) that can impact the signal through a conductor. If these parameters are within range and environmental factors are mitigated, an audible difference is impossible. If wires are tested using the most sophisticated test equipment available, and there is no measurable difference in signal quality at any frequency near audible, how do you suppose it's possible that a difference could be heard?

Unless perhaps the speakers are just "happier" when connected to fancy cables, and perform better as a result?

Non-ABX listening tests are just anecdotal. ABX listening tests are preferable, but still subjective.

If the oscilloscope can't see the difference, it doesn't exist. The 'scope is much less likely to lie than your ears.
Fat Dave is offline  
post #209 of 646 Old 03-05-2013, 03:05 PM
Member
 
DarqueKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SDA Sweetspot
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

What were the results of the study?  Your quote just mentions how they chose experienced listeners, nothing about the test or the results.  And I didn't want to pay for the paper but looks like a good read.  :-)

This is from page 19 in the "Basic Equipment and Listening Conditions" section:

"Commercially available equipment of high quality was used for reproducing the stereo signals and program material. Specifically, an Ampex 350-2P two-channel tape recorder, a Rek-O-Kut transcription turntable, a Grado stereo cartridge, a Scott stereo preamplifier, a pair of 30-w McIntosh power amplifiers, and a pair of KLH loudspeakers were used."

"Systems were checked out for balance and frequency response with standard test tapes and test records obtained from Ampex, ECA, and Westrex. The frequency response from either the tape or the disc system was reasonably flat from 30 cps to 15 kc."

"At first, listening was done in an anechoic chamber to avoid room effects which might obscure some of the more subtle spatial characteristics. Later, listening was done briefly in a small auditorium and then finally in a laboratory acoustically treated to have absorption characteristics similar to a living room. All of the stereo spatial effects observed in the anechoic chamber were still noticeable in the other locations but seemed somewhat less pronounced."

From the results section, pages 25-28:

"If good center images are to be retained, the time difference between the two direct paths from the loudspeaker to the listener is also critical. A 2-in. displacement of one loudspeaker forward or back calls for a readjustment of loudspeaker or listener positions.

"A center listener generally needs to confine his sidewise movement to about +/- 4 in. to preserve center images for the loudspeaker-listener geometry used here."

I am attaching a copy of the author bios copied from the paper.

DarqueKnight is offline  
post #210 of 646 Old 03-05-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
EricN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,187
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarqueKnight View Post

Are there snobs who like to feel special because they spent a lot of money on equipment? Sure there are, but there is no justification for painting all audiophiles with the same elitist brush because of some people's ignorance.

When I see a bird that walks like a duck and swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, I call that bird a duck.
EricN is online now  
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Polls

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off