Is Online Delivery Acceptable for Home Theater Use? - Page 6 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Is Online Delivery Acceptable for Home Theater Use?
iTunes HD and Vudu HDX are totally acceptable for HT use 38 11.41%
iTunes HD and Vudu HDX are barely acceptable for HT use 25 7.51%
Vudu HDX and Blu-ray are acceptable for HT use, iTunes HD is not 37 11.11%
iTunes HD and Blu-ray are acceptable for HT use, Vudu HDX is not 7 2.10%
Blu-ray is acceptable for HT use, iTunes HD and Vudu HDX are not 226 67.87%
Voters: 333. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 171 Old 03-17-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Does Kaleidoscope saves your purchases in their cloud, or do save them via download? The quality looks great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 171 Old 03-17-2013, 02:48 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Does Kaleidoscope saves your purchases in their cloud, or do save them via download? The quality looks great.
You download in BD quality to your Kaleidescape server. They also log your purchases in your online account, so you can download again if you need to.
David Susilo likes this.
post #153 of 171 Old 03-17-2013, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Plus the cost of telco infrastructure is much higher in Canada than in the US. heck, the cost of everything is much higher in Canada. My 1,700 sq ft townhome in the outskirt of Toronto is approx US$550,000 and that's about a60-minute drive from downtown eek.gif

That's a legitimate argument as to why it might cost more to get internet in Canada, not why caps are so absurdly low, or why it's not rolled out in certain areas. Two different discussions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Scott, do you have any info on how they are going to broadcast 1080/60p? I thought the max capability for broadcast is 1080/60i?

They're recording it at 1080/60p, the broadcasts would still be 1080/60i.
post #154 of 171 Old 03-18-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben Van Duyl View Post

You download in BD quality to your Kaleidescape server. They also log your purchases in your online account, so you can download again if you need to.

Great thanks.
post #155 of 171 Old 03-19-2013, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 229
I voted Blu ray only. I love Vudu but to get the best quality possible for my HT setup its Blu or nothing.
David Susilo likes this.
post #156 of 171 Old 03-19-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 208
The answer to this question, of course, is whether you watch the content or the container. If you're an AR kinda guy who obsesses and shudders at each pixel that's out of place I postulate that not even Blu-Ray is good enough. Too bad, as Blu Ray is about the best currently available to us. There is a well established Technical Hierarchy of Quality and when possible it does make sense to follow it. I'm sure we all prefer the best source available but I for one will watch in whatever format is available. I suppose that makes me out of place around here because when I watch a movie I enjoy the story. On the other hand if anything less than perfection in presentation upsets you then you probably will miss much of the movie anyway. Relax, it's only TV...
post #157 of 171 Old 03-19-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

The answer to this question, of course, is whether you watch the content or the container. If you're an AR kinda guy who obsesses and shudders at each pixel that's out of place I postulate that not even Blu-Ray is good enough. Too bad, as Blu Ray is about the best currently available to us. There is a well established Technical Hierarchy of Quality and when possible it does make sense to follow it. I'm sure we all prefer the best source available but I for one will watch in whatever format is available. I suppose that makes me out of place around here because when I watch a movie I enjoy the story. On the other hand if anything less than perfection in presentation upsets you then you probably will miss much of the movie anyway. Relax, it's only TV...

Yeah, well said. I think the exception is when quality issues start to get in the way of the content, like some channels on Comcast, but for VUDU or Amazon, the quality is enough to enjoy the movie. There are certain movies, like the Avengers, where HDX/Blu-ray hugely benefits, since the movie is more about the A/V experience than a good story line though.
post #158 of 171 Old 03-19-2013, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

It is fun to rattle the walls a bit...biggrin.gif
post #159 of 171 Old 03-19-2013, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

I agree. When there is no choice then anything goes. However, when the better option is available, I'll go with the best option I can afford; convenience be damned. After all, if I want convenience, why bother with building a dedicated room with calibrated audio and video and build a second room just to put all the AV equipments.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #160 of 171 Old 03-20-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
While I always prefer BD, I was forced to experiment the other night with iTunes. I started recorde Red Widow on DirecTV HD (but didn't hit record until the 3rd episode), rather than wait for the rerun, I went to iTunes and downloaded the first two episodes in HD. I watched all three episodes on my Infocus SP8602 single chip DLP at 13' from 106" diagonal 16X9. The iTunes weren't bad, definitely not as crisp and vibrant as BD, but not distracting (after all, its TV). After the second episode I immediately cued up the DirecTV HD version and played episode. I was absolutely blown away at how much more false contouring I saw on the DirecTV feed. Also, there was severe macroblocking of dark backgrounds, and just a seriously dirty picture all around. I see now why so many people are "cutting the cord". I only usually watch movies, network series and a few cable series (that could be rented from Netflix or iTunes or Hulu).

If the rumors are true, and the Blu-ray group was short sighted enough to totally handicap the ability of a BD disc not to handle 4K, downloads will be the new medium of choice and H.265's stock will seriously go through the roof (Netlix is alreay starting the wheels turning to use it for their 4K streaming).

Ahh Sony...one of these days you won't be able to buy yourself out of the hole you dig...
David Susilo likes this.
post #161 of 171 Old 03-20-2013, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Don't get it, why spend all that money on a HT setup and then use streaming media.... I tried netflix on my HT with a 50meg internet service so was streaming their HD pq.... it was crap on my 120" screen so really not interested. I'll stick with DVD and BR thanks :-)
David Susilo likes this.
post #162 of 171 Old 03-20-2013, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

While I always prefer BD, I was forced to experiment the other night with iTunes. I started recorde Red Widow on DirecTV HD (but didn't hit record until the 3rd episode), rather than wait for the rerun, I went to iTunes and downloaded the first two episodes in HD. I watched all three episodes on my Infocus SP8602 single chip DLP at 13' from 106" diagonal 16X9. The iTunes weren't bad, definitely not as crisp and vibrant as BD, but not distracting (after all, its TV). After the second episode I immediately cued up the DirecTV HD version and played episode. I was absolutely blown away at how much more false contouring I saw on the DirecTV feed. Also, there was severe macroblocking of dark backgrounds, and just a seriously dirty picture all around. I see now why so many people are "cutting the cord". I only usually watch movies, network series and a few cable series (that could be rented from Netflix or iTunes or Hulu).

If the rumors are true, and the Blu-ray group was short sighted enough to totally handicap the ability of a BD disc not to handle 4K, downloads will be the new medium of choice and H.265's stock will seriously go through the roof (Netlix is alreay starting the wheels turning to use it for their 4K streaming).

Ahh Sony...one of these days you won't be able to buy yourself out of the hole you dig...

You could just stick a 4K file on a blu-ray disc, although there's no standard format for playing it back yet. It will be interesting to see how 4K delivery plays out (or doesn't play out).
post #163 of 171 Old 03-20-2013, 09:47 PM

Liked: 11
"Is Online Delivery Acceptable for Home Theater Use?"
No.
David Susilo likes this.

100 proof women, 90 proof whiskey, 14 carat gold...
Is this epitaph taken, amigos?
post #164 of 171 Old 03-21-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 2111
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

You could just stick a 4K file on a blu-ray disc, although there's no standard format for playing it back yet. It will be interesting to see how 4K delivery plays out (or doesn't play out).

I think that's one of the things that's going to happen. Samsung hedged their bet on the future; now all their premium TV sets are compatible with an upgrade module: The "Smart Evolution Kit", which future-proofs their TVs against new CODECs, HDMI standards, etc. - I was looking at 4K footage on an 84" Samsung yesterday playing off a USB thumb drive, no different than reading the same data off a Blu-ray.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #165 of 171 Old 03-21-2013, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I had just searched Vudu from another article I had read before voting.
I went to VUDU and not being a member went to browse.
I came upon the section, trailers, and was surprised when the movies I viewed
came up 48K on my fairly new 7.1 sound system. the PQ/sound on the videos I looked at
were as good as BR in my opinion. I have 60Mb download now that I moved into the country
so much faster that I had in sillycon valley......
VUDU may get a view from me in the future....

my HT
post #166 of 171 Old 03-21-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

I think that's one of the things that's going to happen. Samsung hedged their bet on the future; now all their premium TV sets are compatible with an upgrade module: The "Smart Evolution Kit", which future-proofs their TVs against new CODECs, HDMI standards, etc. - I was looking at 4K footage on an 84" Samsung yesterday playing off a USB thumb drive, no different than reading the same data off a Blu-ray.

I think a standard will have to be around before there's mass adoption, but the very early content may be just burned on a data disc or a flash drive or something like that. 4K video is 17GB/hour, so it's not completely unthinkable that it would be put on dual-layer blu-ray discs or downloaded. DirecTV or DISH could do something like DISH has done in the past, where you can automatically "DVR" some movies off the satellite overnight, and there are always a few popular titles there already on the hard drive, and if you want to buy, it unlocks the file at that point. I don't know how a 38mbps QAM maps to satellite TP's, which use totally different bandwidths and modulation, but I know DirecTV does plan to carry 4K content. That method would cost DirecTV little, as they could build a larger hard drive into the 4k-capable box, and they could use the "download" channels for something else like PPV or sports packages the rest of the time. Obviously not the be-all-end-all because it doesn't give you a wide selection, but it would be a great start.
post #167 of 171 Old 03-22-2013, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

I think a standard will have to be around before there's mass adoption, but the very early content may be just burned on a data disc or a flash drive or something like that. 4K video is 17GB/hour, so it's not completely unthinkable that it would be put on dual-layer blu-ray discs or downloaded. DirecTV or DISH could do something like DISH has done in the past, where you can automatically "DVR" some movies off the satellite overnight, and there are always a few popular titles there already on the hard drive, and if you want to buy, it unlocks the file at that point. I don't know how a 38mbps QAM maps to satellite TP's, which use totally different bandwidths and modulation, but I know DirecTV does plan to carry 4K content. That method would cost DirecTV little, as they could build a larger hard drive into the 4k-capable box, and they could use the "download" channels for something else like PPV or sports packages the rest of the time. Obviously not the be-all-end-all because it doesn't give you a wide selection, but it would be a great start.
I am not sure but years ago when I was a dish subscriber. the movie downloaded at 1080P was never done
over the satellite signal. it was downloaded through the online connection you had....over night. (charlie chat)
it is my guess it will be done that way when 4K TV becomes available.....on line delivery.
otherwise it will take up too much bandwidth.
I dumped dish when they were starting that service.

my HT
post #168 of 171 Old 03-22-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaamon View Post

I am not sure but years ago when I was a dish subscriber. the movie downloaded at 1080P was never done
over the satellite signal. it was downloaded through the online connection you had....over night. (charlie chat)
it is my guess it will be done that way when 4K TV becomes available.....on line delivery.
otherwise it will take up too much bandwidth.
I dumped dish when they were starting that service.

The service DISH started on the DISH 922 DVR was through the satellite, and used half the hard drive. No way that anyone could afford wasting that much internet bandwidth. With satellite, it's just like DVR'ing TV, so a few % take rate or less can be very profitable, as there is basically no cost to doing the distribution.
post #169 of 171 Old 04-05-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I tried VUDU HDX for the first time a few weeks ago through my TV's VUDU app. We watched Rise of the Guardians. I was blown away by the quality of the video and sound.

post #170 of 171 Old 04-16-2013, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 107
A physical disc still contains a superior image and especially sound, I'm not going to argue that point. Especially sound.

However, one thing I will hand it to iTunes, when they added 1080p movies, everything I had purchased in 720p was instantly available to me in 1080p at no extra charge. I'm curious to see what will happen when the next quality advancement hits the store...if the same thing happens, I'm not going to lie, it's a pretty sweet deal to get the higher resolution upgrade without having to pay extra.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #171 of 171 Old 04-16-2013, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post

A physical disc still contains a superior image and especially sound, I'm not going to argue that point. Especially sound.

However, one thing I will hand it to iTunes, when they added 1080p movies, everything I had purchased in 720p was instantly available to me in 1080p at no extra charge. I'm curious to see what will happen when the next quality advancement hits the store...if the same thing happens, I'm not going to lie, it's a pretty sweet deal to get the higher resolution upgrade without having to pay extra.
It's an almost unbelievable deal that Apple didn't charge for the upgrade...tongue.gif
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page