Votes: 32 8.7%
  • Only with passive glasses, not active-shutter glasses

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • I've never seen stereoscopic 3D

Votes: 16 4.4%

Do You Suffer From 3D Sickness?

14K views 133 replies 96 participants last post by  snowbob230 
#1 ·

One of the biggest complaints about stereoscopic 3D is that watching it can make some people physically sick with eye strain, headaches, dizziness, or nausea. Have you experienced any of these symptoms while watching 3D content? If so, under what circumstances?

See less See more
#2 ·
Eye strain, but only with a few SBS or T/B captures in 1080i. (Captured with Hauppauge HD-PVR via component from Comcast cable box.) So resolution is halved right off the bat.

One capture in particular comes to mind: 3D Sun. It has a few really aggressive pop out scenes. By that I mean aggressive enough so it feels like I'm going cross-eyed trying to bring the two views together. No doubt moving back would alleviate the problem, but 3D Blu-Rays never cause me any discomfort at the same viewing distance. I suspect the added loss of resolution on a passive set has something to do with it too. OTOH, some of my 3D captures look very nice, like the Mariinsky Theater version of the Nutcracker Ballet.

65" passive set, viewing distance ~ 8 feet.

#6 ·
I've never experienced sickness, but I did have bad eye strain for the first few days I used my Nintendo 3DS. It went away and has never come back. I view 3D (movies, PC games) with my projector almost daily now. My guess is it was just a matter of my eyes/brain needing to get used to viewing stereoscopic 3D.

I suspect many if not the majority of people who report sickness, eye strain, or headaches, wouldn't have problems if they were just exposed to stereoscopic 3D more, or more often.

#7 ·
Only if I turn Cinema Smooth on, which changes the refresh rate to 96hz vs 120hz with 3:2 pulldown. The slower refresh rate causes flicker in lighter shaded areas of the display. Oh, I have a Samsung PN64E7000.

#9 ·
I never get sick watching 3D. Wether it's active or passive. The only time I ever felt discomfort is when the left and right eye on my Tru Depth active shutter glasses got reveresed. I instantly got a headache from it and could immediately tell something was wrong.

One thing that does happen to me, espcially in a warm theater, is my glasses will fog up from my head sweating. It's happened at IMAX and my local theater with Real D. Its a real PITA when it happens cause you must take them off and wipe them off and risk smudging or blowing on them till it's dry.

Worst was during the midnite release of The Avengers. Packed house on a hot summer evening and the a/c was not working properly. Fogged over glasses for half the movie. I now bring a micro fiber mini cloth with me just in case. Never happend at home in my theater tho since i keep the temp always comfortable. Anybody else have this problem?

#19 ·
Both my wife and I both get sick when we watch in 3D. My wife actually had to run to the bathroom to throw up the first time we saw a movie in 3D (Alice in Wonderland). Avatar was the next and that was fantastic but still came away feeling nauseous.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed  /t/1464226/do-you-suffer-from-3d-sickness#post_23101932

For some reason I get sleepy.. Does that fall under eye strain?

I was wondering this too! I don't think it falls under that catagory because we are not getting headaches, dizzyness, or motion sickness.

I do feel like I went through a workout at times though lol.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by akcorr  /t/1464226/do-you-suffer-from-3d-sickness#post_23102190

Both my wife and I both get sick when we watch in 3D. My wife actually had to run to the bathroom to throw up the first time we saw a movie in 3D (Alice in Wonderland). Avatar was the next and that was fantastic but still came away feeling nauseous.

Your wife threw up during Alice in Wonderland because the movie sucks not because of the 3D.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.