Is the End of Physical Media Inevitable? - Page 32 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Is the End of Physical Media Inevitable?
Yes, physical media will quickly disappear altogether 23 2.13%
Yes, physical media will slowly disappear altogether 203 18.81%
No, new physical formats will continue to be developed 378 35.03%
No, but physical media will become a niche market for enthusiasts 475 44.02%
Voters: 1079. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #931 of 938 Old 12-06-2014, 01:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
If we where talking dvd quality the internet can offer that quality with no problem IMHO. But as far as 1080p content goes the quality is all over the map and while downloads may come close to bluray it generally doesn't offer lossless audio with the HD content. And streaming is not as good as bluray hd IMHO. So since the average person not having enough bandwidth in some cases to handle high quality HD streaming over the internet. How many people are going to be able to stream or even download 4K movies? How will the stream it without enough bandwidth and how will they download 4K content without it taking 10 hours or more? Alot of the just good enough crowd will not even bother because there internet is not fast enough anyway but more importantly the view there dvd or bluray as more than good enough. But the fact remains with the extremely large file size that 4K will use for the foreseeable future physical media will be the most reliable way to deliver a true 4K movie! Just imagine the data requirements of 8K and what it would take to get that content to consumers using the internet. Meridian is says they have a new system for improving audio quality for music formats to fix what the low quality mp3 has done to the quality of music. But how will studios get 4K to consumers with superior audio and video? There is only one answer physical media and I think unless studio really push to kill off physical media the deliver requirements will keep physical media viable for the foreseeable future.
MauneyM likes this.

Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 938 Old 12-06-2014, 01:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke M View Post
20 years from now, blu-ray and 4K blu-ray will be dead, but some people will still be using DVD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post
I wish the poll had the option of...."Yes, but will continue for a long while in 3rd World Countries".......Let's face it, there's many places that don't even have running water (yet).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottLux View Post
I don't see physical media at the high end (Blu Ray, and in 2015, 4k Blu Ray) going away until ISP's like COX add an extra zero to the end of their monthly data caps for home internet service.
Agree with the poor country part. I'm from south east Asia. Here, broadband is defined as anything faster than 64kbps, with 512kbps being the norm, that's if you surf within a monthly quota of 3GB data plan, which throttle will kicks in to 64kbps.
10years ago, standard definition (SD) content was the norm. Today, SD is still the norm. I believe that 10 years from now, SD is still the norm.
Hence, physical media is here to stay, even in the future (next 30years).
post #933 of 938 Old 12-06-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Let's face it....'Our' (and most of you get that) technology comes first, and then eventually trickles down to 'Them'.....I really think this mostly applies to hardware and hard media..with the state of affairs in the World right now, and what I have described since '09, "The Beautiful Destruction", WHO KNOWS....JUST MY POINT OF VIEW

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #934 of 938 Old 12-06-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Local VideoStop went out of business today and I bought 20 Blus for $40.

Bringing my total to 1348 Blu Rays and a couple hundred left over DVDs.

Physical Media won't disappear here... Unless Something terrible happens.

Now, ... the fact all the small video shops are going out of business is in general very, very bad... but such is life.
post #935 of 938 Old 12-06-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Local VideoStop went out of business today and I bought 20 Blus for $40.

Bringing my total to 1348 Blu Rays and a couple hundred left over DVDs.

Physical Media won't disappear here... Unless Something terrible happens.

Now, ... the fact all the small video shops are going out of business is in general very, very bad... but such is life.
Impressive collection. It puts my collection to shame. Do you store them on a server?

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #936 of 938 Old 12-06-2014, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As long as people in Japan continue to buy or rent pr0n, anime and Hollywood movies... Bluray will live on. Seriously, Japan seems to be the only nation on earth these days that totally support physical media. The fact that 4K bluray is coming out in 2015 confirms that.
post #937 of 938 Old Yesterday, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post
Impressive collection. It puts my collection to shame. Do you store them on a server?
Getting started with my first 12TB NAS ... have only about 200 on there so far. Will need 3 of those and some of the titles are just "ok" so they won't be on the server any time soon.

Edit- Even though I don't care for iTunes of Vudu it's ironic that for the moment I have more (about 240) titles in those clouds than I do on my own server.

Last edited by Brian Hampton; Yesterday at 03:15 AM.
post #938 of 938 Old Today, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34HFX83 View Post
Seriously, Japan seems to be the only nation on earth these days that totally support physical media.
And they're paying about 3X what norteamericanos pay for optical media too. (smaller production runs and fewer buyers)
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Polls