Is the End of Physical Media Inevitable? - Page 32 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

View Poll Results: Is the End of Physical Media Inevitable?
Yes, physical media will quickly disappear altogether 26 2.33%
Yes, physical media will slowly disappear altogether 209 18.74%
No, new physical formats will continue to be developed 386 34.62%
No, but physical media will become a niche market for enthusiasts 494 44.30%
Voters: 1115. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #931 of 953 Old 12-06-2014, 12:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 53
If we where talking dvd quality the internet can offer that quality with no problem IMHO. But as far as 1080p content goes the quality is all over the map and while downloads may come close to bluray it generally doesn't offer lossless audio with the HD content. And streaming is not as good as bluray hd IMHO. So since the average person not having enough bandwidth in some cases to handle high quality HD streaming over the internet. How many people are going to be able to stream or even download 4K movies? How will the stream it without enough bandwidth and how will they download 4K content without it taking 10 hours or more? Alot of the just good enough crowd will not even bother because there internet is not fast enough anyway but more importantly the view there dvd or bluray as more than good enough. But the fact remains with the extremely large file size that 4K will use for the foreseeable future physical media will be the most reliable way to deliver a true 4K movie! Just imagine the data requirements of 8K and what it would take to get that content to consumers using the internet. Meridian is says they have a new system for improving audio quality for music formats to fix what the low quality mp3 has done to the quality of music. But how will studios get 4K to consumers with superior audio and video? There is only one answer physical media and I think unless studio really push to kill off physical media the deliver requirements will keep physical media viable for the foreseeable future.
MauneyM likes this.

Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 953 Old 12-06-2014, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke M View Post
20 years from now, blu-ray and 4K blu-ray will be dead, but some people will still be using DVD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post
I wish the poll had the option of...."Yes, but will continue for a long while in 3rd World Countries".......Let's face it, there's many places that don't even have running water (yet).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottLux View Post
I don't see physical media at the high end (Blu Ray, and in 2015, 4k Blu Ray) going away until ISP's like COX add an extra zero to the end of their monthly data caps for home internet service.
Agree with the poor country part. I'm from south east Asia. Here, broadband is defined as anything faster than 64kbps, with 512kbps being the norm, that's if you surf within a monthly quota of 3GB data plan, which throttle will kicks in to 64kbps.
10years ago, standard definition (SD) content was the norm. Today, SD is still the norm. I believe that 10 years from now, SD is still the norm.
Hence, physical media is here to stay, even in the future (next 30years).
post #933 of 953 Old 12-06-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Let's face it....'Our' (and most of you get that) technology comes first, and then eventually trickles down to 'Them'.....I really think this mostly applies to hardware and hard media..with the state of affairs in the World right now, and what I have described since '09, "The Beautiful Destruction", WHO KNOWS....JUST MY POINT OF VIEW

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #934 of 953 Old 12-06-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Local VideoStop went out of business today and I bought 20 Blus for $40.

Bringing my total to 1348 Blu Rays and a couple hundred left over DVDs.

Physical Media won't disappear here... Unless Something terrible happens.

Now, ... the fact all the small video shops are going out of business is in general very, very bad... but such is life.
David Susilo likes this.
post #935 of 953 Old 12-06-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Local VideoStop went out of business today and I bought 20 Blus for $40.

Bringing my total to 1348 Blu Rays and a couple hundred left over DVDs.

Physical Media won't disappear here... Unless Something terrible happens.

Now, ... the fact all the small video shops are going out of business is in general very, very bad... but such is life.
Impressive collection. It puts my collection to shame. Do you store them on a server?

Diy Sound Group - Information & Tips
Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #936 of 953 Old 12-06-2014, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 18
As long as people in Japan continue to buy or rent pr0n, anime and Hollywood movies... Bluray will live on. Seriously, Japan seems to be the only nation on earth these days that totally support physical media. The fact that 4K bluray is coming out in 2015 confirms that.
post #937 of 953 Old 12-07-2014, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post
Impressive collection. It puts my collection to shame. Do you store them on a server?
Getting started with my first 12TB NAS ... have only about 200 on there so far. Will need 3 of those and some of the titles are just "ok" so they won't be on the server any time soon.

Edit- Even though I don't care for iTunes of Vudu it's ironic that for the moment I have more (about 240) titles in those clouds than I do on my own server.

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 12-07-2014 at 02:15 AM.
post #938 of 953 Old 12-08-2014, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34HFX83 View Post
Seriously, Japan seems to be the only nation on earth these days that totally support physical media.
And they're paying about 3X what norteamericanos pay for optical media too. (smaller production runs and fewer buyers)
post #939 of 953 Old 04-12-2015, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 213
From engadget: "'The Simpsons' seasons won't be available on disc from now on"

Quote:
If you've been diligently building a collection of Simpsons episodes on disc, you're in for a rude surprise. Show runner Al Jean has revealed that Fox is discontinuing disc releases of the long-running cartoon. As sources confirmed to us and The Hollywood Reporter, the studio doesn't believe there's a point to hard copies at this stage
(Article has more information; click on the story title at top of this post.)

While I think physical media will be around for a long time, at least for a decade, this is a data point indicating that there is a possibility that I just might be wrong again.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (120Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
post #940 of 953 Old 04-14-2015, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Three years ago I picked up The Venture Bros Season 4 on BD, and discovered that they packed all 16 24 minute episodes (6+ hours) plus extras onto a single Blu-ray disk. If the disks are going to be handled like that, I'm okay with owning animated TV shows as digital only. It sucks losing the extras and commentary- but if they're going cram content onto a single disc like that to save money- no thanks.
post #941 of 953 Old 04-14-2015, 04:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post
Three years ago I picked up The Venture Bros Season 4 on BD, and discovered that they packed all 16 24 minute episodes (6+ hours) plus extras onto a single Blu-ray disk. If the disks are going to be handled like that, I'm okay with owning animated TV shows as digital only. It sucks losing the extras and commentary- but if they're going cram content onto a single disc like that to save money- no thanks.
I have that season. The episodes are about 20 minutes long and are a couple GB per episode which is far higher bitrate than a stream or download.

Also, it's a cartoon. It does not need a huge bitrate.

Finally, where are you going to "buy downloads" for these episodes? Any media available for "purchase" is loaded with DRM and only plays on specific devices. There is no guarantee that iTunes, ultraviolet, etc, will even exist in 10 years when you want to re watch them. Downloads and streams in the cloud are a ripoff for collectors.
post #942 of 953 Old 04-15-2015, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I hope physical media remains with new formats on the way, but I'm doubtful
Mark12547 likes this.
post #943 of 953 Old 04-23-2015, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Physical will slowly disappear as a main stream way of sharing and showing content. However, always save and back up and store your favs on some type of physical media!

JOE MATTERA
http://matteradesigninc.com
post #944 of 953 Old 04-23-2015, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 471
It really depends on the studio. Too many studios are pulling crap such as Fox is doing. They released Glee seasons 1-4 on blu ray but the subsequent seasons only on DVD. After falling for this BS too many times with TV series, now I completely stop buying TV seasons.
post #945 of 953 Old 05-18-2015, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm in the process of selling my blu-ray collection and going with uv/vudu. I'm already digital download only on books, games, and music. There are many valid concerns with digital downloads and I would like to see more rights for us to protect our virtual purchases.

I'm sort of a minimalist but even so we rarely watch movies over again. Its nice to have access to the video from any roku box in our house. To me physical media is unnecessary clutter but I hope it stays around for those that need it.
post #946 of 953 Old 05-19-2015, 12:17 AM

Liked: 13
End of digita media

Well I hope you enjoy the spectacular quality of your choice of steaming media, I for one will be sticking with physical media as long as it is available, the quality is far superior to any service offered by steaming media, if you want to see your movie of choice as the director of the movie intended than, at this time, physical media is your only choice
David Susilo and Edllguy like this.
post #947 of 953 Old 05-19-2015, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Maybe I'm old fashioned, I sure physical media doesn't disappear. I collecting things, and possessing the physical object. No different for me with video. I like being able to see the physical media sitting on a shelf plus the cool special edition sets that come with other goodies that make them even more collectible in my opinion!
David Susilo and Edllguy like this.
post #948 of 953 Old 05-21-2015, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 4
A few random thoughts come to mind...

1) IF I purchase a movie on the Comcast cloud, what happens if I switch to another cable provider?

2) Apparently anything in the world can be hacked, so personally I would like to have a hard copy.

3) Streaming is fine for discovery but I would not want to buy movies on the cloud.

4) I would like Netflix and others to step up and stream with an option to buy a new disc.
I just hate waiting 3 months, then at the end of the 10 million member line, only to determine I didn't like it after all the hype.

5) Make streaming cheaper and I would be more likely to watch the Indie's etc, paying $7 to rent a download is outrageous.
David Susilo likes this.
post #949 of 953 Old 05-21-2015, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick View Post

5) Make streaming cheaper and I would be more likely to watch the Indie's etc, paying $7 to rent a download is outrageous.
MUBI. I love it. The only drawback is you have to use Airplay or the android equivalent to cast it to your screen. $4.99/month with an outstandingly eclectic selection of rotating movies.

Looky here!
post #950 of 953 Old 07-06-2015, 01:32 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Actually NAS are selling better now than ever before.... so I think you are a bit mistaken that the TREND is away from local storage, even though eventually that might be what happens.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/20410...-says-idc.html

"Global sales of external server storage have dropped for the first time since 2009, according to data from research firm IDC.

IDC said that first-quarter sales fell in developed markets, causing an overall decline of 0.9 percent year on year in worldwide external server storage revenue. Revenue during the first quarter of 2013 came to US$5.91 billion, down from $5.97 billion a year earlier."
post #951 of 953 Old 07-06-2015, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Technology is here to allow for the end of physical media but companies will hold on to the old ways for long as they can to make the most money from it. If vendors can still sell 128kb mp3 files for $0.99 each then that is what it is. Until I can buy an exact copy of the wav file from a cd or stream a 50gb disc that I purchased online and store it on my computers for long as I like then physical media will still exist.
post #952 of 953 Old 07-06-2015, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Focazio View Post
http://www.pcworld.com/article/20410...-says-idc.html

"Global sales of external server storage have dropped for the first time since 2009, according to data from research firm IDC.

IDC said that first-quarter sales fell in developed markets, causing an overall decline of 0.9 percent year on year in worldwide external server storage revenue. Revenue during the first quarter of 2013 came to US$5.91 billion, down from $5.97 billion a year earlier."
The article is two years old and also fails to point out that 2011/2012 were the years there were drive shortages driving prices up 20-25%. Prices went back down in 2013 when production started ramping back up.

Even so it points out the capacity was was higher in Q1 2013 compared to Q1 2012:

Quote:
IDC noted that the total server storage capacity shipped during the quarter totaled 7.8 exabytes (7.8 million terabytes), a 26.4 percent gain from the first quarter of 2012.
Since then, much better per TB prices along with advances in compression and de-duplication have driven prices down again. The 700TB or so of storage that I'm replacing over the next 6 months will cost me half what I paid 5 years ago, fit into 1/5 of the rack space, and outperform it by at least a 4X margin. Advances in storage over the last two years alone with all flash, hybrid, and converged devices have been just fantastic for people like me that love the stuff (and buy it occasionally).

Looky here!

Last edited by robnix; 07-07-2015 at 06:27 AM.
post #953 of 953 Old Today, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Never knows, technology is unpredictable; I still rely in paper and pen so maybe in the future the physical media will have a place to live
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page