Which Setup Disc(s) Do You Use? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which Setup Disc(s) Do You Use?
Avia Guide to Home Theater (DVD) 50 6.52%
AVS HD 709 (HD download) 112 14.60%
Disney WOW (Blu-ray) 203 26.47%
Disney WOW (DVD) 15 1.96%
JKP Digital Video Essentials (DVD) 31 4.04%
JKP Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics (Blu-ray) 99 12.91%
Monster/ISF HDTV Calibration Wizard (DVD) 6 0.78%
Spears & Munsil High-Definition Benchmark (Blu-ray) 118 15.38%
Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-Up (DVD) 12 1.56%
THX Optimizer (on THX-certified Blu-rays and DVDs) 56 7.30%
Other 25 3.26%
None 40 5.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 767. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 79 Old 05-09-2013, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by tang7969 View Post

Sell it. I'll buy it!!

If you had bought it thru amazon then, you'd be getting it tomorrow just in time to play with it over the weekend tongue.gif

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 79 Old 05-10-2013, 03:26 PM

Liked: 10
I did a lot of searching reading reviews about the various calibration disc and settled on the Blu-ray version of Disney's WoW. I used it on my HDTV and had great results. But then I used it on a cheaper plasma Samsung my friend had and didn't seem to be able to make much improvement over the settings I had made previously with the friends TV. This is the only calibration disc I have tried as I am a rookie at this. Also am I to understand correctly that I should re-calibrate every few months? Thanks and enjoy reading the posts here. smile.gif
post #63 of 79 Old 05-10-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I hesitate to participate in this discussion, since I obviously am biased. smile.gif

One advantage to the Spears and Munsil disc is that both of us are long-time AVS Forum members and you can ask us questions directly. As to which are easier to use, other folks can make that determination. I will say that on this 2nd edition we tried to make it much easier for a novice to figure out how to use the disc and get a good calibration.

And whether you buy our disc or not, the articles on calibration on our web site are free and generally apply to using any disc (though obviously the screen shots might not match up exactly). Drop by and take a look if you're interested:

http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/2nd-edition-articles/
post #64 of 79 Old 05-10-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 168
S&M - Too bad you couldn't have come up with a cute Red Head like on the DVE Blu-ray! A Rabbit - you got to be kidding! (Yes, I was one of the first to buy #2.)
OK, I get it - you need 4K to enjoy the Rabbit properly! (Plus the Montage)
Still, it would have been nice to have a cute Redhead!
Tried to find one to post, but all roads led to where you don't want to go to!

For those with the DVE Blu-ray, and haven't seen the Red Head, then you have to do some digging - uh, I mean clicking!
post #65 of 79 Old 05-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunsil View Post

I hesitate to participate on this discussion, since I obviously am biased. smile.gif

One advantage to the Spears and Munsil disc is that both of us are long-time AVS Forum members and you can ask us questions directly. As to which are easier to use, other folks can make that determination. I will say that on this 2nd edition we tried to make it much easier for a novice to figure out how to use the disc and get a good calibration.

And whether you buy our disc or not, the articles on calibration on our web site are free and generally apply to using any disc (though obviously the screen shots might not match up exactly). Drop by and take a look if you're interested:

I love both of your disk, thank you very much for all of your hard work!

Also as a Seattle resident I enjoy the scenes of my neck of the woods in the disk.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
post #66 of 79 Old 05-10-2013, 06:55 PM

Hi dmunsil!
I was hoping you could provide some more detailed description of the A/V sync tool on your new disc. How does it work, exactly? And do you also have a simple beep+flash movie on the disc? If so, does the whole screen flash? I own a Syncheck device (great geeky tool!), but one of my frustrations with my DVE Blu-ray disc is that the one flash+beep pattern on their disc only flashes a small sliver of the screen in time with the beep. This doesn't work very well with my projector, in terms of getting the flash reliably detected by the Syncheck. Of course, I can also play back custom files from a USB drive or computer, but I've run into the fascinating (and frustrating!) phenomenon of my receiver yielding distinct A/V sync results when dealing with Blu-ray movie content vs. other sources. Specifically, the audio from Blu-ray movie sources tends to get hugely delayed (100ms or more) when the video and audio are heading to my receiver together via HDMI (I've compared this to audio sent via optical cable, which is not severely delayed, and neither is audio from non Blu-ray movie sources even when sent over HDMI). Whatever the reason, I'm hoping the S&M v2 disc has a basic beep+flash pattern that flashes the whole screen so I can get a more reliable Syncheck measurement that I can use with my standard library of Blu-ray movies. It would be interesting to compare this to whatever measurement I get from your disc's built-in sync tool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunsil View Post

I hesitate to participate in this discussion, since I obviously am biased. smile.gif

post #67 of 79 Old 05-10-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael5 View Post

I did a lot of searching reading reviews about the various calibration disc and settled on the Blu-ray version of Disney's WoW. I used it on my HDTV and had great results. But then I used it on a cheaper plasma Samsung my friend had and didn't seem to be able to make much improvement over the settings I had made previously with the friends TV. This is the only calibration disc I have tried as I am a rookie at this. Also am I to understand correctly that I should re-calibrate every few months? Thanks and enjoy reading the posts here. smile.gif

HI, welcome to AVS !

You'll love the Wow BD !

Plasmas can change over time, especially in the first few hundred hours - 500 hours +.. I'm pretty sure they can still fluctuate after that also. So yeah, it would be good to check and re-calibrate as necessary once in a while.. shouldn't take too long and you'll get really efficient at it tongue.gif

PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
post #68 of 79 Old 05-10-2013, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischaflix View Post

Hi dmunsil!
I was hoping you could provide some more detailed description of the A/V sync tool on your new disc. How does it work, exactly?

We don't flash the whole screen, but we do flash the top and bottom. I'm not sure if that will work with a SynCheck, but the intent was to make it work with automated synchronization checkers. It should produce a pulse on the video signal, and if you're using a light meter aiming at the top or bottom should work well.

Our sync check pattern has a little of everything. There's timecode, flashing the top and bottom of the screen, a stylized clock indicator, and a bouncing or scanning marker. There are patterns for 24p and ones for 29.97 with 2-3 pulldown.
post #69 of 79 Old 05-10-2013, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

I love both of your disk, thank you very much for all of your hard work!

Also as a Seattle resident I enjoy the scenes of my neck of the woods in the disk.

You're quite welcome! The shots of Gasworks Park were fun to shoot, though the wind was shaking the cameras like crazy. Stacey was able to de-shake the video and now it looks pretty serene. If you look at the corners of the screen, though, you can see some of the shaking leaking through. smile.gif
post #70 of 79 Old 05-11-2013, 06:56 AM

I have used the Pixel Protector on my 2006 Pioneer. My family rarely used the zoom feature when all the commercials and shows broadcast in 4:3 and I did suffer black bar burn in. I contacted Pioneer and they advised to use the above disc. It did help even though it did not eliminate. I also used it on a spare bedroom low priced lcd/led that had terrible colors, and it really did improve the picture quality. I was amazed it actually worked.
post #71 of 79 Old 05-11-2013, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpauls View Post

I have used the Pixel Protector on my 2006 Pioneer. My family rarely used the zoom feature when all the commercials and shows broadcast in 4:3 and I did suffer black bar burn in. I contacted Pioneer and they advised to use the above disc. It did help even though it did not eliminate. I also used it on a spare bedroom low priced lcd/led that had terrible colors, and it really did improve the picture quality. I was amazed it actually worked.

Pixel Protector Blu-ray Washes are the Best: 6 Hours for the First Wash, 2 Hours for the Second and 1 Hour for the Third. Then shut your set off for a couple of minutes. Turn back on, then on to watching improved appearance TV, or start your calibration.
post #72 of 79 Old 05-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 191
Walmart has two different BluRay Disney WOW disks. It looks like one has more audio formats and was released more recently. Any preference of one or the other?

GO BLUE
post #73 of 79 Old 05-11-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

Walmart has two different BluRay Disney WOW disks. It looks like one has more audio formats and was released more recently. Any preference of one or the other?

The only versions I'm aware of are:

- 1 disc version
- 2 disc version

The second disc is only HD display material.

Are those the ones you're taking about here ?

post #74 of 79 Old 05-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 191
post #75 of 79 Old 05-11-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

Here are the links. The second one looks best to me. What do you think?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Disney-WOW-World-Of-Wonder-Blu-ray-Widescreen/15184078

http://www.walmart.com/ip/WOW-World-Of-Wonder-Blu-ray-Widescreen/20462075

Yeah the 1st link is the 2 disc set, you don't really need this unless you want that 'HD landscape BD. The second link is the one disc, and that's all you need really. I would get that one, price is better too smile.gif

post #76 of 79 Old 05-12-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

Just received Spears and Munsil 2nd Edition. Let me tell you guys it officially ROCKS!

Stacey Spears and Don Munsil will be guests on my podcast this Monday to talk about the new disc. Watch live on 5/13 from 2 to 3 PM Pacific time at http://live.twit.tv, where you can join the chat room (or at http://irc.twit.tv) and post questions for Stacey and Don.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #77 of 79 Old 05-12-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

Stacey Spears and Don Munsil will be guests on my podcast this Monday to talk about the new disc. Watch live on 5/13 from 2 to 3 PM Pacific time at http://live.twit.tv, where you can join the chat room (or at http://irc.twit.tv) and post questions for Stacey and Don.

Very nice - I'll check it out smile.gif

post #78 of 79 Old 05-12-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

Dang, right during my working hours!
post #79 of 79 Old 05-13-2013, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Dang, right during my working hours!

You can always catch it after the fact at http://twit.tv/htg or http://YouTube/TWiTHomeTheaterGeeks or here on AVS. The show is usually posted on Tuesday.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page