Do You Prefer Plasma or LED-LCD TVs? - Page 10 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Do You Prefer Plasma or LED-LCD TVs?
Plasma 570 81.66%
LED-LCD 128 18.34%
Voters: 698. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 496 Old 05-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Icon13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by themrclean View Post

You must have just learned how to read then because there was nothing ignorant about it. I simply stated what I like and why I like it, and what I don't like and why I don't like it. I believe the people that still stand behind plasma are the people who already had plasma when LCD first became available and they just simply want to still believe that what they have is better than the new stuff. It's just like my grandpa who thinks all of his stuff from "back in the day" is better than today's new technology. He believes his VCR looks as good as a blu ray player and we are all crazy for spending so much money on new stuff. People want to hold on to their old toys and believe there's no reason to try new stuff and even when you show them the proof they still won't believe you (or they do and they just won't admit it).

So plasma lovers, throw away those VCRS and plasma tvs and step up to blu rays and LED TVs. It is okay to let go of the past and grab a hold of today's much better TVs.
Actually, the vast majority just purchased our plasmas. To state you like led-lcd is fine. To say you are looking for the best PQ and plasmas are unwatchable is ignorant. Plasmas lead the industry in PQ every year including now... until OLED.

Also, LCD is not a newer technology. It has been around since the 70's.
losservatore likes this.

THE ALL MIGHTY MACACASIAH HAS SPOKEN!
Icon13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 496 Old 05-10-2013, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Who likes to watch movies in a bright environment ?
losservatore is offline  
post #273 of 496 Old 05-10-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
myoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

Who likes to watch movies in a bright environment ?

I'll have a couch potato weekend and watch a flick during the day. No worries here mon.
myoda is offline  
post #274 of 496 Old 05-10-2013, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
David Susilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Markham, Canada
Posts: 9,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by themrclean View Post

You must have just learned how to read then because there was nothing ignorant about it. I simply stated what I like and why I like it, and what I don't like and why I don't like it. I believe the people that still stand behind plasma are the people who already had plasma when LCD first became available and they just simply want to still believe that what they have is better than the new stuff. It's just like my grandpa who thinks all of his stuff from "back in the day" is better than today's new technology. He believes his VCR looks as good as a blu ray player and we are all crazy for spending so much money on new stuff. People want to hold on to their old toys and believe there's no reason to try new stuff and even when you show them the proof they still won't believe you (or they do and they just won't admit it).

So plasma lovers, throw away those VCRS and plasma tvs and step up to blu rays and LED TVs. It is okay to let go of the past and grab a hold of today's much better TVs.

Where is the TROLL emoticon when I need one?
losservatore and Chris5028 like this.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

David Susilo is offline  
post #275 of 496 Old 05-10-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Blu_One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: LiVe from the Nation's Capital | Canada
Posts: 1,148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

Who likes to watch movies in a bright environment ?

Not me man... not on my plasma. Still looks great in daytime, but when it gets dark in here.. wow cool.gifbiggrin.gif

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
Blu_One is offline  
post #276 of 496 Old 05-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Member
 
Chuckie -Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by themrclean View Post

You must have just learned how to read then because there was nothing ignorant about it. I simply stated what I like and why I like it, and what I don't like and why I don't like it. I believe the people that still stand behind plasma are the people who already had plasma when LCD first became available and they just simply want to still believe that what they have is better than the new stuff. It's just like my grandpa who thinks all of his stuff from "back in the day" is better than today's new technology. He believes his VCR looks as good as a blu ray player and we are all crazy for spending so much money on new stuff. People want to hold on to their old toys and believe there's no reason to try new stuff and even when you show them the proof they still won't believe you (or they do and they just won't admit it).

So plasma lovers, throw away those VCRS and plasma tvs and step up to blu rays and LED TVs. It is okay to let go of the past and grab a hold of today's much better TVs.

The fact that some people are hell bent of saying that Plasma is better than LCD-LED or vise versa makes it hard for a person to get an honest opinion, at the moment i cant afford to go and spend big money on a LCD-LED TV, but if i did have the money to do so, i can assure you that some people on this forum are not helping the cause. i bet some Plasma lovers opinions are based on the fact that they have not sat down for an hour or so watching movies or sports to assess the LCD-LED's that are on offer now and not going by the past LCD's, i used to hate looking at the LCD's i never thought that they where worth the money, that is until i saw the Panasonic 32 inch LCD-LED and the 24 inch Hisense LCD-LED, they seem OK to me, but i haven't sat down to see LCD-LED in a bigger size screen so i cannot comment, but if the size of the screen doesn't make any difference to motion blur, then i can tell you people that LCD-LED is great as far as i am concerned, but then again i am not as fussy with the blacks as some might be, unless the blacks look like a dark brown that i get on the Samsung 65 inch Plasma PS64E550.
Chuckie -Z is offline  
post #277 of 496 Old 05-10-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Blu_One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: LiVe from the Nation's Capital | Canada
Posts: 1,148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie -Z View Post

The fact that some people are hell bent of saying that Plasma is better than LCD-LED or vise versa makes it hard for a person to get an honest opinion, at the moment i cant afford to go and spend big money on a LCD-LED TV, but if i did have the money to do so, i can assure you that some people on this forum are not helping the cause. i bet some Plasma lovers opinions are based on the fact that they have not sat down for an hour or so watching movies or sports to assess the LCD-LED's that are on offer now and not going by the past LCD's, i used to hate looking at the LCD's i never thought that they where worth the money, that is until i saw the Panasonic 32 inch LCD-LED and the 24 inch Hisense LCD-LED, they seem OK to me, but i haven't sat down to see LCD-LED in a bigger size screen so i cannot comment, but if the size of the screen doesn't make any difference to motion blur, then i can tell you people that LCD-LED is great as far as i am concerned, but then again i am not as fussy with the blacks as some might be, unless the blacks look like a dark brown that i get on the Samsung 65 inch Plasma PS64E550.

Panasonic ST60 or VT60 cool.gif

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
Blu_One is offline  
post #278 of 496 Old 05-10-2013, 07:46 PM
Member
 
Chuckie -Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

Panasonic ST60 or VT60 cool.gif

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but are them models Plasma or Led.
Chuckie -Z is offline  
post #279 of 496 Old 05-10-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Blu_One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: LiVe from the Nation's Capital | Canada
Posts: 1,148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie -Z View Post

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but are them models Plasma or Led.

Both 2013 plasma models

Both highly reviewed

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
Blu_One is offline  
post #280 of 496 Old 05-10-2013, 08:03 PM
Member
 
Chuckie -Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

Both 2013 plasma models

Both highly reviewed

Thank you very much, i am in a position at the moment where Samsung are in the process of deciding what to do with my faulty unit, so hence the questions on here. But if i was offered a LCD-LED as a replacement i would accept it for the simple reason that it waste's less power than a Plasma, but my biggest concern with a LCD-LED is will it have motion blur. Here in Victoria Australia the power bills are getting higher by the year and it is getting harder for us pensioners to run a Plasma TV. I know some people will say a pensioner wants to run a large TV, nothing wrong with wanting to enjoy a large screen just like anybody else, we are human a swell and like to have the best just like anyone else. I love watching sports and nature documentaries and they look great on a large screen, so i am trying to make the best of my years left on this earth.
Chuckie -Z is offline  
post #281 of 496 Old 05-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Senior Member
 
howzz1854's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie -Z View Post

The fact that some people are hell bent of saying that Plasma is better than LCD-LED or vise versa makes it hard for a person to get an honest opinion, at the moment i cant afford to go and spend big money on a LCD-LED TV, but if i did have the money to do so, i can assure you that some people on this forum are not helping the cause. i bet some Plasma lovers opinions are based on the fact that they have not sat down for an hour or so watching movies or sports to assess the LCD-LED's that are on offer now and not going by the past LCD's, i used to hate looking at the LCD's i never thought that they where worth the money, that is until i saw the Panasonic 32 inch LCD-LED and the 24 inch Hisense LCD-LED, they seem OK to me, but i haven't sat down to see LCD-LED in a bigger size screen so i cannot comment, but if the size of the screen doesn't make any difference to motion blur, then i can tell you people that LCD-LED is great as far as i am concerned, but then again i am not as fussy with the blacks as some might be, unless the blacks look like a dark brown that i get on the Samsung 65 inch Plasma PS64E550.

might as well call this thread plasma appreciation thread.

i venture to doubt that not a lot of people have brought home a high end LED current gen model and sit down for an honest comparison. bright room or not, current gen high end LEDs have VERY deep blacks and local/micro dimming that makes picture stunning and sharp. my current ES8000 60 inch's black level blends in completely with the black color chart that i hold up against it, and that's in a scene with lots of stuff going on at the same time.

TV: Samsung 60inch 60ES8000 LED TV,
Sound System: Pioneer VSX 1120-K, 2x JBL Stadium fronts, 1x JBL EC35 center, 4x JBL L820 surrounds, 1x JBL SUB12 for a complete 7.1
Headphones: Sennheiser HD598, HD650 headphone, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, AD900X
howzz1854 is offline  
post #282 of 496 Old 05-10-2013, 08:16 PM
Member
 
Chuckie -Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzz1854 View Post

might as well call this thread plasma appreciation thread.

i venture to doubt that not a lot of people have brought home a high end LED current gen model and sit down for an honest comparison. bright room or not, current gen high end LEDs have VERY deep blacks and local/micro dimming that makes picture stunning and sharp. my current ES8000 60 inch's black level blends in completely with the black color chart that i hold up against it, and that's in a scene with lots of stuff going on at the same time.

Seriously the blacks are the least of my worries unless they look like they do on the Samsung Plasma that i own, they look dark brown at time and no amount of tweaking can get rid of it. Like i said previously the main thing that i look at is the skin tone.

Edit:

I did not mean to say that the blacks are not important, what i meant is if the LCD-LED don't show pure black i would not worry about it, what is more important to me is the fact that a LCD-LED can be set to show true skin tones and not have motion blur.
Chuckie -Z is offline  
post #283 of 496 Old 05-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Newbie
 
2gej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Our 54" Viera plasma sits midway along the long wall of our 24x16 family room. We frequently host a neighborhood movie night, and an LED or LCD could simply not provide enough contrast in the picture for those who sit at the widest angles (and one loafer who likes to lie on the floor). Also we enjoy tennis and college softball, both of which require the extra speed that plasma provides (to avoid jerkiness of the ball motion). We also noticed that golf greens and fairways show contours considerably better with the plasma than with our LCD set in another room. The one drawback of the plasma is the necessity of drawing the blinds during the day to avoid reflections--a small price to pay since we rarely watch TV in the morning or afternoon.
2gej is offline  
post #284 of 496 Old 05-10-2013, 08:43 PM
Member
 
Chuckie -Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gej View Post

Our 54" Viera plasma sits midway along the long wall of our 24x16 family room. We frequently host a neighborhood movie night, and an LED or LCD could simply not provide enough contrast in the picture for those who sit at the widest angles (and one loafer who likes to lie on the floor). Also we enjoy tennis and college softball, both of which require the extra speed that plasma provides (to avoid jerkiness of the ball motion). We also noticed that golf greens and fairways show contours considerably better with the plasma than with our LCD set in another room. The one drawback of the plasma is the necessity of drawing the blinds during the day to avoid reflections--a small price to pay since we rarely watch TV in the morning or afternoon.

At our place we wont have a such a problem, we sit mainly directly in front of the TV, so no problem there. Please note that i am not against or for Plasma or LCD.
Chuckie -Z is offline  
post #285 of 496 Old 05-10-2013, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Blu_One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: LiVe from the Nation's Capital | Canada
Posts: 1,148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie -Z View Post

Thank you very much, i am in a position at the moment where Samsung are in the process of deciding what to do with my faulty unit, so hence the questions on here. But if i was offered a LCD-LED as a replacement i would accept it for the simple reason that it waste's less power than a Plasma, but my biggest concern with a LCD-LED is will it have motion blur. Here in Victoria Australia the power bills are getting higher by the year and it is getting harder for us pensioners to run a Plasma TV. I know some people will say a pensioner wants to run a large TV, nothing wrong with wanting to enjoy a large screen just like anybody else, we are human a swell and like to have the best just like anyone else. I love watching sports and nature documentaries and they look great on a large screen, so i am trying to make the best of my years left on this earth.


Right gotcha.. well I hope you find a nice display that suits your needs, and you're absolutely right, you have to live it up a little sometimes.. cool.gif

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
Blu_One is offline  
post #286 of 496 Old 05-10-2013, 08:51 PM
Member
 
Chuckie -Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

Right gotcha.. well I hope you find a nice display that suits your needs, and you're absolutely right, you have to live it up a little sometimes.. cool.gif

Thanks for understanding. pity the girls don't share you view,lol.
Chuckie -Z is offline  
post #287 of 496 Old 05-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Icon13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie -Z View Post

Seriously the blacks are the least of my worries unless they look like they do on the Samsung Plasma that i own, they look dark brown at time and no amount of tweaking can get rid of it. Like i said previously the main thing that i look at is the skin tone.

Edit:

I did not mean to say that the blacks are not important, what i meant is if the LCD-LED don't show pure black i would not worry about it, what is more important to me is the fact that a LCD-LED can be set to show true skin tones and not have motion blur.
Your plasma has poor black levels because the e550 is a lower end model. If you want high PQ, spend more.

THE ALL MIGHTY MACACASIAH HAS SPOKEN!
Icon13 is offline  
post #288 of 496 Old 05-10-2013, 09:14 PM
Member
 
Chuckie -Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon13 View Post

Your plasma has bad black levels because the e550 is a lower end model. If you want high PQ, spend more.

No it has nothing to do with it, the TV has problems, the blacks are brownish because of i think is a faulty chip-set, this unit has extra menu settings for blacks, to make the blacks even blacker. even using that extra blacks setting it just wont make any difference, i don't know if you are familiar with the Samsung PS64E550 user menu settings, but if you are then you don't know what you are talking about, sorry to be so blunt.

Edit:

Oh by the way, this model is supposed to have the best blacks ever from any past models. Being the cheaper model has nothing to do with it. On top of that Plasma's are supposed to have the better blacks, so where does being a cheap model come into it.
Chuckie -Z is offline  
post #289 of 496 Old 05-10-2013, 11:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Icon13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie -Z View Post

No it has nothing to do with it, the TV has problems, the blacks are brownish because of i think is a faulty chip-set, this unit has extra menu settings for blacks, to make the blacks even blacker. even using that extra blacks setting it just wont make any difference, i don't know if you are familiar with the Samsung PS64E550 user menu settings, but if you are then you don't know what you are talking about, sorry to be so blunt.

Edit:

Oh by the way, this model is supposed to have the best blacks ever from any past models. Being the cheaper model has nothing to do with it. On top of that Plasma's are supposed to have the better blacks, so where does being a cheap model come into it.
I own a Samsung PN64E7000, and the menus are practically identical. I know all about the black tone settings. And what does the user menu have to do with it? Your TV is second tier to the bottom. You get what you pay for. It is known that your set is a poor black level performer as far as plasma is concerned. Just because it has blacker levels than previous bottom tier sets says nothing. Of course it improves year after year, especially when there is so much room for improvement on the lower end models. As an owner of a much nicer panel, I was thoroughly unimpressed with the black levels and over all PQ of the e550 when I viewed one in person; not good PQ at all. I would take a decent lcd over that particular model any day.

THE ALL MIGHTY MACACASIAH HAS SPOKEN!
Icon13 is offline  
post #290 of 496 Old 05-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Member
 
Chuckie -Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon13 View Post

I own a Samsung PN64E7000, and the menus are practically identical. I know all about the black tone settings. And what does the user menu have to do with it? Your TV is second tier to the bottom. You get what you pay for. It is known that your set is a poor black level performer as far as plasma is concerned. Just because it has blacker levels than previous bottom tier sets says nothing. Of course it improves year after year, especially when there is so much room for improvement on the lower end models. As an owner of a much nicer panel, I was thoroughly unimpressed with the black levels and over all PQ of the e550 when I viewed one in person; not good PQ at all. I would take a decent lcd over that particular model any day.

And so according to your judgment the Plasma then is absolute rubbish, If the blacks are going to look brown because it's the low end model then Plasma are not worth the money that people are paying for them. Again i point out that you have no idea what you are talking about, this unit has problems and have had them out the box, which i have explained previously. To keep pointing to the fact that it is the lower end model that's why according to you is the problem, that goes to show that you have no idea what's so ever, no manufacturer is going to come up with a TV that has dark brown for blacks, you are being very childish with your comments, why don't you find me a review that says the blacks on this particular model have dark browns for blacks. I have been in dispute with Samsung for the last 11 months not just because of the blacks, but because of other issues. Here is one example this photo shows the mess the picture is in. the blacks are not brown all the time so have a look and get the facts right before you comment about models.This picture is taken from FTA TV, then there is the second picture which is taken while playing a blu-ray movie, the last one is short movie, take a look at the flicker and distortion of the trees and so on. so like i said please don't talk unless you know the facts and keep pointing your finger at the tv because it is not the high end model. Also as far as i know the quality of the blacks have nothing to do with the price, but the difference is more to do with the options rather than the blacks being not blacks.

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n545/Worldgamefan1/IMG_0671.gif

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n545/Worldgamefan1/IMG_0672.gif

http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/Worldgamefan1/media/vid.mp4.html
Chuckie -Z is offline  
post #291 of 496 Old 05-10-2013, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Blu_One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: LiVe from the Nation's Capital | Canada
Posts: 1,148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie -Z View Post

And so according to your judgment the Plasma then is absolute rubbish, If the blacks are going to look brown because it's the low end model then Plasma are not worth the money that people are paying for them. Again i point out that you have no idea what you are talking about, this unit has problems and have had them out the box, which i have explained previously. To keep pointing to the fact that it is the lower end model that's why according to you is the problem, that goes to show that you have no idea what's so ever, no manufacturer is going to come up with a TV that has dark brown for blacks, you are being very childish with your comments, why don't you find me a review that says the blacks on this particular model have dark browns for blacks. I have been in dispute with Samsung for the last 11 months not just because of the blacks, but because of other issues. Here is one example this photo shows the mess the picture is in. the blacks are not brown all the time so have a look and get the facts right before you comment about models.This picture is taken from FTA TV, then there is the second picture which is taken while playing a blu-ray movie, the last one is short movie, take a look at the flicker and distortion of the trees and so on. so like i said please don't talk unless you know the facts and keep pointing your finger at the tv because it is not the high end model. Also as far as i know the quality of the blacks have nothing to do with the price, but the difference is more to do with the options rather than the blacks being not blacks.

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n545/Worldgamefan1/IMG_0671.gif

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n545/Worldgamefan1/IMG_0672.gif

http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/Worldgamefan1/media/vid.mp4.html

As far as picture quality goes, you can't beat the value of plasma versus LCD/LED when comparing prices per square inch..

I had 3 LCD/LEDs, switched to plasma cool.gif

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
Blu_One is offline  
post #292 of 496 Old 05-10-2013, 11:33 PM
Member
 
Chuckie -Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

As far as picture quality goes, you can't beat the value of plasma versus LCD/LED when comparing prices per square inch..

I had 3 LCD/LEDs, switched to plasma cool.gif

My unit is a Plasma but the picture is worst than the old analogue tv picture.

My argument here is not about which is the best between Plasma or LCD-LED, but rather about the blacks on my unit.
Chuckie -Z is offline  
post #293 of 496 Old 05-10-2013, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Blu_One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: LiVe from the Nation's Capital | Canada
Posts: 1,148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie -Z View Post

My unit is a Plasma but the picture is worst than the old analogue tv picture.

Something is very wrong then.. you need to get it checked out, calibrated or replace the set in my opinion.

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
Blu_One is offline  
post #294 of 496 Old 05-10-2013, 11:50 PM
Senior Member
 
howzz1854's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
this thread is going sour fast.

you're not gonna find a single person talk negative about plasma here.

Plasma:
pro- great color, cheap, good for fast action, wide viewing angle, usually better black level
con- power hungry, less sharp compare to LCD/LED, grainy due to dither, Image Retention, not as bright

LCD/LED:
pro- bright, sharper image, energy efficient, light weight, no dither effect, much less prone to image retention,
con- narrow viewing angle, less accurate color in comparison, prone to motion blur or judder, clouding, banding, flash lighting

i am sure i missed a few. but i thought i point out all the pros and cons, since it seems most here are just plasma lovers talking how great plasma is. and of course, plasma fanboy will see the plasma con as none con, or might defend it as pro, and vise versa, lcd fanboy will do the same for LCD.

flame suit on.

TV: Samsung 60inch 60ES8000 LED TV,
Sound System: Pioneer VSX 1120-K, 2x JBL Stadium fronts, 1x JBL EC35 center, 4x JBL L820 surrounds, 1x JBL SUB12 for a complete 7.1
Headphones: Sennheiser HD598, HD650 headphone, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, AD900X
howzz1854 is offline  
post #295 of 496 Old 05-10-2013, 11:50 PM
Member
 
Chuckie -Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

Something is very wrong then.. you need to get it checked out, calibrated or replace the set in my opinion.

Like i said before, the matter at the moment is in Samsung's hands, they are deciding what the next step should be, I had a tech to look atb the tv one week after the tv was setup, he said that the clouding and other rubbish appearing on the screen is due to low resolution, but i never had a blu-ray movie to show him so the blu-ray pictures have been taken just recently, i sent them to Samsung Australia support via their web site. If they don't come up with a satisfactory solution then it will take it to the ACCC, once it's int he ACCC's hands then things will get moving fast i hope, hopefully i at least get my money back.

As for calibration, i can spend thousands of dollars doing that and it will not fix the picture, actually the latest firmware has improved the picture colours but not the clouding, plus here in Australia we have a freeview guide and when i use it instead of thee Samsung guide the tv freezes up at times and can't change channels, so either the chip-set in he main board is bad or the one in the DMD board. none the less the tv needs to be fixed or replaced, i prefer the latter.
Chuckie -Z is offline  
post #296 of 496 Old 05-11-2013, 12:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Icon13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie -Z View Post

And so according to your judgment the Plasma then is absolute rubbish, If the blacks are going to look brown because it's the low end model then Plasma are not worth the money that people are paying for them. Again i point out that you have no idea what you are talking about, this unit has problems and have had them out the box, which i have explained previously. To keep pointing to the fact that it is the lower end model that's why according to you is the problem, that goes to show that you have no idea what's so ever, no manufacturer is going to come up with a TV that has dark brown for blacks, you are being very childish with your comments, why don't you find me a review that says the blacks on this particular model have dark browns for blacks. I have been in dispute with Samsung for the last 11 months not just because of the blacks, but because of other issues. Here is one example this photo shows the mess the picture is in. the blacks are not brown all the time so have a look and get the facts right before you comment about models.This picture is taken from FTA TV, then there is the second picture which is taken while playing a blu-ray movie, the last one is short movie, take a look at the flicker and distortion of the trees and so on. so like i said please don't talk unless you know the facts and keep pointing your finger at the tv because it is not the high end model. Also as far as i know the quality of the blacks have nothing to do with the price, but the difference is more to do with the options rather than the blacks being not blacks.

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n545/Worldgamefan1/IMG_0671.gif

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n545/Worldgamefan1/IMG_0672.gif

http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/Worldgamefan1/media/vid.mp4.html
I never said anything in relation to the so called problem your set has and its naturaly poor black levels. Maybe read more closely, and make no inferences. Independently of your issues the e550 has poor black levels for plasma, and I stick to my statement. I have read reviews that agree with my own eyes as well. Perhaps the lighting in Costco was the culprit, but the blacks looked washed out and dark grey. And yes price has a lot to do with black levels. Again, you get what you pay for. Where you expecting top level performance? Do you think they were going to be as good as the higher models? Of course blacks get darker the more you spend, not just more features. You do not know what you are talking about. The pne7000 and pne8000 share the top Samsung black levels for 2012, but differ in features.Your set is an entirely different panel with inferior black levels. In testing your tv had inferior black levels to the ut50 Panny's low end plasma, and a Vizio led TV on hand. Just because it is plasma does not guarantee better black levels than high end lcd.

Skip straight to black levels:

http://m.cnet.com/reviews/samsung-pn64e550/35190840

I hope you find that wacky "chipset" that is resposible for your TVs poor performance rolleyes.gif

THE ALL MIGHTY MACACASIAH HAS SPOKEN!
Icon13 is offline  
post #297 of 496 Old 05-11-2013, 12:07 AM
Member
 
Chuckie -Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzz1854 View Post

this thread is going sour fast.

you're not gonna find a single person talk negative about plasma here.

Plasma:
pro- great color, cheap, good for fast action, wide viewing angle, usually better black level
con- power hungry, less sharp compare to LCD/LED, grainy due to dither, Image Retention, not as bright

LCD/LED:
pro- bright, sharper image, energy efficient, light weight, no dither effect, much less prone to image retention,
con- narrow viewing angle, less accurate color in comparison, prone to motion blur or judder, clouding, banding, flash lighting

i am sure i missed a few. but i thought i point out all the pros and cons, since it seems most here are just plasma lovers talking how great plasma is. and of course, plasma fanboy will see the plasma con as none con, or might defend it as pro, and vise versa, lcd fanboy will do the same for LCD.

flame suit on.

I have to agree with everything that you said, no real and honest opinions on her i am afraid. But in the end we have to consider that somje people love apple pie and some people love some other sort of pie.
Chuckie -Z is offline  
post #298 of 496 Old 05-11-2013, 12:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Chris5028's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Blu_One,
How is your ST60? I purchased the ST50 in February and was beating myself up for not waiting on the ST60 when I saw the price.

For the record the ST50 is gorgeous, only thing I could ask for on it would be better blacks but you get what you pay for and I don't need to be such a black level whore. (the blacks are GREAT! I am just never satisfied...)

Chris5028 is offline  
post #299 of 496 Old 05-11-2013, 12:17 AM
Senior Member
 
Chris5028's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzz1854 View Post

this thread is going sour fast.

you're not gonna find a single person talk negative about plasma here.

Plasma:
pro- great color, cheap, good for fast action, wide viewing angle, usually better black level
con- power hungry, less sharp compare to LCD/LED, grainy due to dither, Image Retention, not as bright

LCD/LED:
pro- bright, sharper image, energy efficient, light weight, no dither effect, much less prone to image retention,
con- narrow viewing angle, less accurate color in comparison, prone to motion blur or judder, clouding, banding, flash lighting

i am sure i missed a few. but i thought i point out all the pros and cons, since it seems most here are just plasma lovers talking how great plasma is. and of course, plasma fanboy will see the plasma con as none con, or might defend it as pro, and vise versa, lcd fanboy will do the same for LCD.

flame suit on.

I think it really comes down to what a guy can live with. I chose plasma after months of research and am very happy. You are right about a "fanboy making a con a pro too... I love that my TV has some weight to it, my kids couldn't tip it over if they wanted to.

Chris5028 is offline  
post #300 of 496 Old 05-11-2013, 12:20 AM
Member
 
Chuckie -Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon13 View Post

I never said anything in relation to the so called problem your set has and its naturaly poor black levels. Maybe read more closely, and make no inferences. Independently of your issues the e550 has poor black levels for plasma, and I stick to my statement. I have read reviews that agree with my own eyes as well. Perhaps the lighting in Costco was the culprit, but the blacks looked washed out and dark grey.

You are the one that kept saying that this particular model has bad blacks which i still disagree with, your are saying because it's the low end model then the blacks are bad, i never heard of such a think at all so far except from you, as for blacks looking washed out, then again you are wrong because at Costco they would have very bright lights like any other big store, so taking that into consideration you are not going to see the blacks or any other colour as they really are unless they dim the light down or turn them off, we all know what bright lights do to a plasma picture don't we, or do we, so your judgment is still way of. As for the problems that my set has, i was pointing that out because you kept blaming the brownish blacks on the lower end model, so i put up pictures for you to see what i am talking about. The blacks problem i still think are due to a faulty chip-set and not due to the tv being not an expensive one.
Chuckie -Z is offline  
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Plasma Vs Led , Plasma Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Polls

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off