Do You Prefer Plasma or LED-LCD TVs? - Page 16 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Do You Prefer Plasma or LED-LCD TVs?
Plasma 570 81.66%
LED-LCD 128 18.34%
Voters: 698. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 496 Old 10-21-2013, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Panasonic have had 103" plasma since 2005. I have calibrated a handful of them in Toronto area alone.

Quote:
eek.gif
Panasonic, TH103PF10UK, 103-Inch 1080p High Definition Professional

Part# TH103PF10UK
Price$46,672.68

eek.gif

Not really practical for anyone I know!

I just had a ~7 year old toshiba 50" plasma fail about 8 weeks ago, screen went out.mad.gif And by the way it was a good space heater, just insert fan to circulate the produced heat around the room...........

confused.gif What is up with that a complete unfixable failure on a ~$2,000+ 2006 built tv??????confused.gif

I am right now watching a perfectly operating ~ 29 year old 25" NEC CRT, why can't a flat screen LCD/LED or Plasma last that long. For the price I would have expected my Toshiba to last for at least another 10 years before the trash bin got it........

Granted the Toshiba 50" was a only a 720p/1080i picture, but my analog stuff really did look good on it. And I was more than happy with it's HD picture.

I have a very bright room so I decided to give a back lit LED/LCD a try, a 58" Sanyo from Wally world.

I am in the crowd of I wish it was possible to have a 60" CRT but we all know that ain't gonna ever happen......

I really miss the plasma picture, I may be experiencing the placebo effect but I believe they do have a better picture.

VW,Audi, Porsch guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 496 Old 10-29-2013, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I realize that I am going against the flow of this forum however I have worked at Future Shop for over 6 years and I have watched the insurance rates that we charge for our extended warranties almost double for plasmas of the past few years. The technology of the plasmas TV's is not as reliable as the LED and they are more expensive to fix and have a higher failure rate than LED.

My opinion and I will continue to sell the TVs that way.

post #453 of 496 Old 10-29-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Toshiba sold plasma? That's news to me eek.gif

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #454 of 496 Old 10-29-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Also people talking about reliability have to consider this.

A 28" HDTV was priced at $2000 10 years ago
Now a 50" is $1000 while the price of manufacturing, shipping, labour, marketing, etc have gone up by at least 50% in the past 10 years.

So, if you want a 50" that is as reliable as a 28" CRT HDTV of 10 years ago, you must spend at least $12,000 today (screen size multiplied by around 4 times, then add 50% of true accumulated infation of manufacturing, raw materials, shipping, labour, etc. tongue.gif

my home theatre

post #455 of 496 Old 10-29-2013, 05:24 PM

Toshiba 50HP16, manufactured in April 2006

VW,Audi, Porsch guy
post #456 of 496 Old 10-29-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselrat View Post

Toshiba 50HP16, manufactured in April 2006

Thanks for the info. Maybe they never released in Canada. I remember clearly that it's the time I was buying a plasma TV and my choice was between Pioneer or Panasonic and Toshiba only had LCD.

my home theatre

post #457 of 496 Old 10-29-2013, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUTUREPMAC View Post

I realize that I am going against the flow of this forum however I have worked at Future Shop for over 6 years and I have watched the insurance rates that we charge for our extended warranties almost double for plasmas of the past few years. The technology of the plasmas TV's is not as reliable as the LED and they are more expensive to fix and have a higher failure rate than LED.

My opinion and I will continue to sell the TVs that way.

That is an interesting point, I would be curious to see what information a major warranty provider like Square Trade could provide.

post #458 of 496 Old 10-31-2013, 04:27 AM

Liked: 20
Living in Australia, our power bills are ridiculously high and getting higher almost daily.

For me it's a no brainer. LED/LCD all the way to keep energy costs low and heat to a minimum (because the air conditioner is one of the few things that uses more electricity than a TV).

And frankly, whether it's the technology or my eyes (which I know are bad from computers), I can't see the difference between the 2 anymore.
post #459 of 496 Old 11-09-2013, 03:57 PM

I used to be all for plasma until I bought a gt50 last year. It had a very nice picture but I had to return it. The dithering in dark areas on plasma tvs is out of control. I could see the dithering on a 50" screen from 7ft away. I tried all kinds of different picture modes but nothing worked. What also bothered me was the terrible line bleed on it. I tried keeping it because the for the most part the picture was really good but the dithering and line bleed was a deal breaker. I'm going to try led but I am a little worried.
post #460 of 496 Old 11-10-2013, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
^What was the source? I have to be less than 3 feet away to see any dithering on my ST50.

post #461 of 496 Old 11-10-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

If you can see dithering from 7ft away, then there is something wrong with the TV, not the technology.

my home theatre

post #462 of 496 Old 11-10-2013, 10:41 PM

I was watching the dark night and in the night scenes it was everywhere. I'm really hoping it was a defect but I have seen reviews of that tv model where people said they had the same problem. Even the review site flatpanelsHD said panasonic and samsung need to work on it. I'm thinking of buying the vt60 because the review site said it had less dithering than the st60 but they said it was still there. I could be one of the unlucky people that are just sensitive to it. If I get the 55" vt60 and it has no defects do you guys think I shouldn't see any noticeable dithering from 8ft away. That distance is measured from my eyes to the tv.
post #463 of 496 Old 11-18-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Wow! I see Plasma won this poll by a wide margin. To bad it aint gonna be around next year.
post #464 of 496 Old 11-19-2013, 02:35 AM

I went led last week, and it was a huge mistake. I now know Plasma is a clear winner. I think I can deal with some of the trade offs with plasma tv's because their picture is awesome.
post #465 of 496 Old 11-19-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

Wow! I see Plasma won this poll by a wide margin. To bad it aint gonna be around next year.

You DO know that both LG and Samsung still make and sell PDPs?

post #466 of 496 Old 11-19-2013, 04:21 PM

Liked: 11
Hi Guys

The legendary Pioneer KRP500M-Just happens to be a Plasma.

Its tough to best this baby.

Shawn:)
post #467 of 496 Old 11-19-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post

Doesn't LG only have one current model left? I thought I read something to that effect in the Cnet article by David K. written in the wake of Panasonic announcement (officially ending production). And not even a good one, like they aren't even trying anymore, according to Cnet. If accurate, then LG is not even dipping their big toe in the plasma waters anymore, just barely a pinky toe at best. frown.gif

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #468 of 496 Old 11-19-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

For now. Its only a matter of time before LG and Samsung quit the plasma deal as well.
post #469 of 496 Old 11-19-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

It's only a matter of time that the world comes to an end... Your point? this thread is about people's preference between plasma vs LCD. rolleyes.gif
Chris5028 likes this.

my home theatre

post #470 of 496 Old 11-19-2013, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Plasma won't die until OLED is at an affordable area. Until then, Samsung and LG will continue to make money off their maximized tech.

I chose plasma. They should change the name plasma to "the whiz", cause nothing beats it wink.gif
post #471 of 496 Old 11-20-2013, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
Unless my Pro-111FD dies (or one of our smaller bedroom LCDs), I'm planning to take a pass on purchasing a 2160p set. I first said it in a half-joking way about a year ago, but have found more and more reasons to stick to it as time has gone on. For me, there is a question about how 2160p and 1080p OLED TVs will fit into the market. The absence of HDMI 2.0 chipsets in any source devices is a put-off, as is the content availability question. The best educated guess I've heard is that we're probably going to see an updated Blu-ray spec that supports 2160/60 (and the other HDMI 2.0 features). That new Blu-ray and internet delivery is likely going to be the way in which we get our 2160p fix, using the HVEC/ h.265 codec.

This higher-bandwidth internet delivery system (Netflix, for example is set to begin offering 2160p now) http://news.yahoo.com/netflix-starts-streaming-4k-content-115222888.html is a major WIP, and is coming concurrently with the sets themselves, instead of preferably before it, so the infrastructure is mature and stable, and optimized to avoid compression artifacts on existing home internet connections. NHK is set up to offer OTA broadcasting options in 8K (4320p), which is quite forward thinking, and bodes well for 4320p adoption sooner rather than later (unless broadcast television goes away in the next 4-5 years). http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/31/nhk-flaunts-8k-ultra-hd-compact-camera/ .

Put simply, for me, the foundations being put in place for 2160p will also make 4320p adoption go more smoothly.

post #472 of 496 Old 11-20-2013, 01:06 PM

What I wonder when I read about Doubling or Tripling resolution is will it stick in the market or will it be like 3D TV of today, be short lived?? If you don't Know every manufacturer of 3D TVs has back tracked in the last year in a half pulling offerings from the market and most making no new models with this feature.

We have a history of things making it to market too soon then going the way of the dinosaur.........

I could list hundreds of great advanced tech that came out too early before the market was ready so couldn't survive in the market.

For OLED high resolution tech to get advantage in the marketplace it will first have to come to market in current resolution at a significant price drop in line with other techs today( in line in cost with 1080p Plasma & LED/LCD ). Once it starts to make it to market in similar to current LED/LCD & Plasma screen size and resolution spec it will require similar reliability to what is offered today.

Once current to similar design are in the market OLED higher resolution can start to be sold but this will also require a almost immediate industry wide adoption of the higher video standard. Simultaneously along with a device at reasonable price will have to begin to offer video content with the tech that supports it, not just upconverted content...It doesn't matter how great this tech is if one of these things are not ready for prime time this tech will be short lived. If one of these pieces isn't in place all high resolution OLED will be are really expensive TVs capable of showing a really clear picture that nothing can be watched in........

Only when the all of the above pieces are in place will High Res OLED offering have a chance of being anything more than a novelty.. I can't see people lining up to throw money at a device that can only be used with a device that upconverts the picture.....

We all here know for most things( 97-99+%) of what we watch the in current HDTV signal today is nothing more than a upconverted 480i signal......

Not one TV station in the US transmits in anything above 1080i or 720p today with the majority of what we watch in a non-upconverted native 480i format.

In a audit of local tv in 20 major US cities only 6 % of what is transmitted today over the air in 1080i or 720p. With only 0.3 to 3 % of content being in native 1080i or 720p. And ~94%, the majority being transmitted digitally in still in 480i, most of which is native 480i .!.!.!....

For me and a lot of the tech savvy out there, not really seeing the point of getting a High REs OLED to continue to watch a signal that doesn't yet tax the what the current offerings can show......

VW,Audi, Porsch guy
post #473 of 496 Old 11-20-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

As for your UHD argument, it's virtually the same argument when HDTV was introduced in North America. As for your 3D argument...please name one manufacturer that ended their 3D offering.

my home theatre

post #474 of 496 Old 11-20-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:

As for your UHD argument, it's virtually the same argument when HDTV was introduced in North America. As for your 3D argument...please name one manufacturer that ended their 3D offering.

VEry little of what is sent over the air is actually native HD content today. The only reason it is broadcast today digitally is by act of congress. Only 3-6 % of over the air channels today are actually broadcast today in real HD, most of that content is upconverted 480i.

No station in the US has ever broadcast 1080p! The maximum resolution today over the air, that is rebroadcast over cable, sat, & internet today is 720p & 1080i, most of that content is only upconverted native 480i ...Content supplied in 1080p today to your home in one of the available options is upconverted not native....... so please explain in what world that is a success...?...

On 3D TV.....:......

The one network that has 3D content today is planning to end transmission at the end of 2013.

A trip to your local Costco & Sams comparing what they were offering last year to what they are offering today shows that 3D in it's current form is on the way out....No one is pushing 3D TVs this year as the wave of the future any longer....

Manufacturers & sellers have found it really hard to push a tech like 3D TV that today is becoming even more useless with the limited available content along with the one network that did send a usable signal for their new TV ending transmission.....

Not really seeing the success of either, can someone make a real case for adding more tech that like UHD to our TVs that will be unusable for the foreseeable future....?.....

VW,Audi, Porsch guy
post #475 of 496 Old 11-20-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Where do you get your percentage numbers from? because literally ALL of my TV viewing are all either in 720p or 1080i... both of which are HD specs. There is no need for 1080p as the TV can do the de-interlacing pretty well anyway, so why waste the bandwidth.

As for 3D, you said manufacturers backtrack on 3D tech. Yet your comment is about the lack of 3D TV programs.

HD is barely sufficient for front projection beyond 120" viewed from 12ft away. UHD is sorely needed for that application.

my home theatre

post #476 of 496 Old 11-20-2013, 03:16 PM

here is a quote of the statement ESPN made on ending broadcast of 3D TV....
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatinaArnoldESPN 
ESPN 3D was great at home but due to low adoption of 3D to home, we are discontinuing to focus on other products for fans and affiliates
— Katina Arnold (@KatinaESPN) June 12, 2013

In a statement to The Verge, a network spokesperson said, "Nobody knows more about sports in 3D than ESPN, and we will be ready to provide the service to fans if or when 3D does take off." ESPN 3D launched in June 2010 with a three-dimensional broadcast of the 2010 FIFA World Cup's opening contest. The network began broadcasting nonstop 3D sports content in early 2011.

Viewer demand aside, adoption among cable providers was also mixed; Comcast, DirecTV, Verizon FiOS have all carried ESPN 3D at various points. AT&T, however, pulled the plug in 2011, claiming the high costs of carrying the channel were outweighed by low demand.

As it sunsets one TV trend, ESPN is already looking ahead to another, more impactful upgrade: 4K. "We continue to experiment with things like Ultra High Definition television (also known as Ultra HD television or UHDTV) production tools to produce our current ESPN family of HD channels," it said in a statement

VW,Audi, Porsch guy
post #477 of 496 Old 11-20-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:

Where do you get your percentage numbers from? because literally ALL of my TV viewing are all either in 720p or 1080i... both of which are HD specs. There is no need for 1080p as the TV can do the de-interlacing pretty well anyway, so why waste the bandwidth.

As for 3D, you said manufacturers backtrack on 3D tech. Yet your comment is about the lack of 3D TV programs.

HD is barely sufficient for front projection beyond 120" viewed from 12ft away. UHD is sorely needed for that application.

The lack of programming is relevant. It has lead every TV maker to switch from pushing 3D TVs last year to barely offering them today. And most of the 3D TVs still out there are last years models with no new version being offered.

Take a trip to your local seller and look at what meets you as you come in the door. Today it isn't a 3D TV, but a 70" or 80" offering with internet If that suddenly changes then 3D might not be dead but if places that sell a lot of TVs like Walmart, Sams, Costco drop 3TVs from their sales areas like they have this year it will be dead as available tech sooner than later....

Are you really expecting a adoption of UHD for wide broadcast?? ... LOL...The TV broadcast industry has never adopted 1080p, not likely to at any point in the foreseeable future.... I wouldn't hold my breath on UHD...... You buy one of these UHD OLED TVs and it will likely be in the trash bin before you can turn it on to watch a real UHD signal with native UHD programming.......Maybe some sports in UHD when it is on it's last legs but that will be it.....

a little search of the available channels in your area will show stats that match my numbers. All you need do is Look up what is broadcast over the air in any local city you wish, primary channels are the only channels broadcast in 720p or 1080i. But if you use over the air as your primary tv the secondary channels are watched a lot. Every secondary and a some primary channels are today sent out in 480i.

That means in a city like Denver ( 25 to 30 a max of~50 channels that can be picked up with a amplified antenna).....

Primary 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 31 are in HD. A primary channel that is 480i (PBS12.1,12.2,12.3) ( a few more are part time 1080i with almost all of their content being 480i shown over a HD signal)

2.2, 6.2,6.3, 7.2,7.4, 10.1,10.2,10.3,10.4 , 14.2,14.3, 20.2, 31.2, are 480i. ( about 15-20 more that are 480i)

a sample of three other TV markets I spend time in show similar....

VW,Audi, Porsch guy
post #478 of 496 Old 11-20-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not going to respond anymore as you must be more of an industry insider than myself.

I'm out of here.

my home theatre

post #479 of 496 Old 11-20-2013, 04:22 PM

BBC ending 3D transmisssion....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC 
BBC to drop 3D plans after trial run
Olympic ceremonies, Strictly Come Dancing and Wimbledon broadcast in format, but corporation says take-up has been slow.

The BBC has broadcast coverage of the Wimbledon Championships in 3D, but will drop the format when the trial run ends. Photograph: Adam Davy/AP

The BBC's head of 3D says there are no further plans for the format after a trial period draws to a close.

Kim Shillinglaw said many viewers have found it a hassle at home which has led to few people tuning in to the broadcasts.

She told RadioTimes.com that the technology had not taken off with the public and it was the right time "for a good old pause".

This week, the BBC announced it was broadcasting the semi-finals and finals of Wimbledon singles matches in the format.

During a pilot scheme over the past two years, the BBC has televised a number of programmes in 3D, including Strictly Come Dancing, the Christmas family drama Mr Stink and the ceremonies for the Olympics last year.

However, even though it has been estimated 1.5 million homes have enabled sets, only around half of the homes which were able to watch London 2012 in 3D did so. And only around 5% of potential viewers watched Mr Stink and the Queen's speech in 3D.

Shillinglaw said: "I have never seen a very big appetite for 3D television in the UK. Watching 3D is quite a hassly experience in the home. You have got to find your glasses before switching on the TV."

She said viewers concentrate on TV in a different way to cinema-goers who have embraced the concept.

The BBC's 50th anniversary of Doctor Who will still be broadcast in 3D, as well as the already-commissioned series Hidden Kingdom, but the format will then take a rest.

Shillinglaw will concentrate on her main role as head of science and natural history.

"After that, we will see what happens when the recession ends and there may be more take-up of sets, but I think the BBC will be having a wait and see. It's the right time for a good old pause. I am not sure our job is to call the whole 3D race," she said.

The BBC said they had conducted a two-year pilot 3D project which is coming to an end.

VW,Audi, Porsch guy
post #480 of 496 Old 11-20-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 205
It is not that important what the BBC does. That is tax payers money tongue.gif What about Sky, Virgin etc.. and 3D
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Plasma Vs Led , Plasma Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page