Do You Prefer Plasma or LED-LCD TVs? - Page 17 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Do You Prefer Plasma or LED-LCD TVs?
Plasma 570 81.55%
LED-LCD 129 18.45%
Voters: 699. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 496 Old 11-20-2013, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

I'm not going to respond anymore as you must be more of an industry insider than myself.

I'm out of here.

Sorry if I offended you, no offense intended,,, But inside the industry you work in many times there are views that don't match what is on the ground. A trip to your local tv big box tv seller shows exactly what I am saying is the truth.

I spent the last couple months shopping for a new TV and even the places still selling them are pushing buyers away from 3D TVs today.

3D TVs never have sold very well and with most of available content going away even inside the industry they are coming to the realization that it's a hard sell.

And like has been said in the ESPN & BBC interview, the industry is going in a different direction today.

I am not against UHD, it sounds like a really cool toy... But what use is it if all of it's capabilities will likely never be of any use to the average consumer in the real world for at least the next decade???

VW,Audi, Porsch guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 496 Old 11-20-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Just like LaserDisc flourished although they were not designed for regular consumer, just like DAT (Digital Audio Tape) was extremely successful but only in professional studios and serious audiophiles, UHD was never designed for the average crowd.

Put it this way. For most HDTV each unit only make about $10 per unit and for UHDTV each unit can make about $2000 per unit. So why bother selling and servicing 200 units if you can sell one and make the same amount of money?

That is the logic behind many of these new and over engineered technologies.

I'm not offended with what you're saying but unless you know what each industry's target to be considered as "success", we (myself included) can only see it from one side of many angles.

PS: I do agree that 3D is not reaching anywhere near its potential, I only disagree with the statement that the manufacturers are backtracking on the 3D technology.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #483 of 496 Old 11-20-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

It is not that important what the BBC does. That is tax payers money tongue.gif What about Sky, Virgin etc.. and 3D

What about them????

Is anyone getting in line today to offer or putting out plans to soon offer real 3D content in a usable with the currently and recently sold 3D TVs>>>>>??????

That what it will take for this technology to survive in it's present form... I hope I am wrong but that is not I am finding on the ground today...

VW,Audi, Porsch guy
post #484 of 496 Old 11-20-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Just like LaserDisc flourished although they were not designed for regular consumer, just like DAT (Digital Audio Tape) was extremely successful but only in professional studios and serious audiophiles, UHD was never designed for the average crowd.

Put it this way. For most HDTV each unit only make about $10 per unit and for UHDTV each unit can make about $2000 per unit. So why bother selling and servicing 200 units if you can sell one and make the same amount of money?

That is the logic behind many of these new and over engineered technologies.

I'm not offended with what you're saying but unless you know what each industry's target to be considered as "success", we (myself included) can only see it from one side of many angles.

PS: I do agree that 3D is not reaching anywhere near its potential, I only disagree with the statement that the manufacturers are backtracking on the 3D technology.

Here is the difference as I see it....

Laser Discs had new releases available almost from their inception until a couple of years ago,,... I have two players that saw almost weekly use for close to 3 decades until a couple of years ago,,,,,,

I know small market offerings well, I have almost daily used for close 3 decades on SuperBeta & EDBeta recorders... I could/did for decades make & watch high quality in their native format recordings made on these players of many types of programs & movies,...

But you compare that to the current 3D TVs and the coming UHD TVs, What good are they when there is almost no or there isn't any native resolution programming to watch???? While it might be cool to say I have one of these what can use it for when all the programming available is not in a native format>>>??

What will upconverted 480i look like on one of these UHD TVs>>>?? Any clearer than it does on my 720p or 1080P TV>??? That is a lot of filling in to do, I am betting not very clear,,......

VW,Audi, Porsch guy
post #485 of 496 Old 11-20-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

As a person who has daily access to UHD display and projector, as long as you're using Sony or at least JVC, you don't really need native 4K content. The upscaling engines are so mind bogglingly amazing that it's hard to tell the difference between upscaled (from HD) and native 4K from THX viewing distance, let alone SMPTE viewing distance.

You may or may not realize that more than 90% commercial theatre 4K projectors are not even using native 4K but only upscaled content in real time.

As for 480i material, well they don't look good on HDTV and they look as bad on UHDTV, there is only so much interpolation you can do. The worse the material, the worse the interpolated end result will be.

my home theatre

post #486 of 496 Old 11-20-2013, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselrat 

What about them????
Do commercial british broadcasters offer 3D channels? And do they intend to stop or extend their 3D stuff?
post #487 of 496 Old 11-28-2013, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

So I have a question for y'all with older plasmas, would you recommend that I pick up a friend's 8 year old plasma (which has been his primary display and he claims is still going strong) 50" for $200? I'm mostly worried about heat, buzzing and longevity with such old tech.

post #488 of 496 Old 11-28-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Even as a staunch plasma backer I'd say no Not because it's plasma but because it's 8 years old. Quite honestly other than speakers and turntables, I've never used any electronics more than 3 years.

my home theatre

post #489 of 496 Old 11-28-2013, 08:52 PM

Liked: 11
I'd prefer PLASMA but I don't have any bad words for LED anyways. Just that personally,I'll take Plasma. smile.gif
post #490 of 496 Old 11-29-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by feteru View Post

So I have a question for y'all with older plasmas, would you recommend that I pick up a friend's 8 year old plasma (which has been his primary display and he claims is still going strong) 50" for $200? I'm mostly worried about heat, buzzing and longevity with such old tech.

If your budget is really tight, maybe. I'd be more comfortable at that price if the plasma were closer to 5 years old than 8. It also really depends upon the particular model too, i.e., if it was one of the better quality models back then it would be more justifiable than a marginal/average quality model from that period. As far as heat and buzzing, can't you get an in-person demo of the plasma? That should answer those questions right there within 30 seconds.

Also understand that a decent quality 50" plasma can be had new for around $500 - $600 on occasion with a sale. For example, I've been seeing this model at this price recently. But if $200 is just about your absolute spending limit, then that would be a moot point.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #491 of 496 Old 11-29-2013, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by feteru View Post

Absolutely not.

Maybe $40 bucks. Maybe. If the kid's room needs one.

Not sure if you even have a budget or this is just a blind offer. But if you add $1,000 to that, you can get an utterly fantastic TV.

It's like anything though, you get what you pay for.

post #492 of 496 Old 11-29-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Well, it's pretty obvious that if he's seriously considering a $200 deal, chances are that he is unable or unwilling to lay down another $1000 on top of that. Nor is he seeking absolute "I must have the best" quality by considering such an older panel for purchase in the first place. rolleyes.gif

So the more pertinent consideration is whether or not he can swing a few hundred more or not for a new plasma which would provide a warranty along with (probably) a decent or better upgrade in performance quality.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #493 of 496 Old 11-30-2013, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoOne30 View Post

Absolutely not.

Maybe $40 bucks. Maybe. If the kid's room needs one.

Not sure if you even have a budget or this is just a blind offer. But if you add $1,000 to that, you can get an utterly fantastic TV.

It's like anything though, you get what you pay for.

I am with you on this. Every time I replace a set and I used LCD's and a big DLP, now LED's I end up going through a rewire, power and A/V, wall mounts, drywall,paint, and work.
post #494 of 496 Old 12-01-2013, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thought I would ask a question and this forum seems like as good as any. I have been contemplating updating my home theater TV. What I have now is a JVC 61" DLP. Its 7 years old and has been a great TV. It still works great and love the picture. My dilemma is this. I feel like this year is sort of a crossroads. I can either keep my current setup (I need to replace the bulb to brighten it back up (thats 80bucks, not a big deal but a few bucks)) until my TV bites the dust or upgrade. Why this year? The wife for some reason is open to me spending some money on a new TV (could have to do with the fact I just bought her an ellipitical wink.gif) AND I see that panasonic plasma is soon to be no more. I have my eye on 65S60. If the panny's were not going away I wouldn't feel such a rush. I can't tell from looking in the stores if a plasma would give me that much better picture than what I have with my DLP. My setup is mancave in basement with no windows, canned ceiling lights and side uplights with dimmers so reflection shouldn't be an issue. Im just comparing PQ, I have a 7.1 SVS (go SVS!) system for the room. Would it be such a improvement that its worth the upgrade now? I would hate to upgrade next year and have less choices than this year. I don't know if my DLP will last another 5 years until maybe OLEDs get close to my budget. Any suggestions?
post #495 of 496 Old 12-01-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I would never put my money on OLED until I see it being stable. The reason being is that I've seen OLED being dangled for at least a full decade and companies are still clueless in the proper way to manufacture them with higher yields. It can be next year, it can be 5 years.

my home theatre

post #496 of 496 Old 02-11-2014, 12:53 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbillen View Post

I don't get why it would seem that way. confused.gif

Most professionals use LCD displays that are kept constantly in perfect calibration.
I've owned professionally calibrated displays since my old Trinitron tube. Sometimes I DIY because it's interesting to me, especially on a set like this with full CMS, etc.

What I'm saying about plasma is not something I came up with because my VT50 is poorly calibrated. It's just what it is. I actually first learned about it reading posts from professional calibrators on this very site. Some like plasma and I guess think its only a gamma issue, (which can get slippery to pin down as a "standard" anyway). Others prefer LCD's because of it.

ain't that the truth.

i work in one of the largest visual effects studios in the world. and there's a reason why we use all EIZO LCD fully professionally calibrated monitors for all our real-time color critical visual effects work.

go with what makes you happy.

TV: Samsung 60inch 60ES8000 LED TV,
Sound System: Pioneer VSX 1120-K, 2x JBL Stadium fronts, 1x JBL EC35 center, 4x JBL L820 surrounds, 1x JBL SUB12 for a complete 7.1
Headphones: Sennheiser HD598, HD650 headphone, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, AD900X
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Plasma Vs Led , Plasma Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Polls