Do You Prefer Plasma or LED-LCD TVs? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Do You Prefer Plasma or LED-LCD TVs?
Plasma 570 81.66%
LED-LCD 128 18.34%
Voters: 698. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 496 Old 05-04-2013, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Myoda, why didn't you take off that reflective protective screen? Did it not come off? There is no better non reflective screen than a CRT-RPTV. I'm still watching my 73" Mitsubishi. It's protective screen was designed to be optional and easily removed. CRT (RPTV) is still king, plasma is second.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 496 Old 05-04-2013, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfingMatt27 View Post

LCD only because i'm a heavy gamer, otherwise plasma if your into movies.

I thought LCDs have a greater input lag than plasma displays? Or are you mainly concerned with burn in?

On my KRP-500m using Game Mode, you can completely eliminate ANY input lag by enabling "Game Control Pref." in the picture settings menu. And the picture quality for games is way beyond any lcd. And as far as burn in is concerned, unless you are completely stupid and abuse your display, gaming on a good plasma (Kuro or newer Panasonics) will not lead to any burn in whatsoever.
post #63 of 496 Old 05-04-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

Probably only because you can't really get a plasma above 65"..

http://www.panasonic.com/business/plasma/TH-85PF12U-inch/index.asp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #64 of 496 Old 05-04-2013, 06:01 PM

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsdsmith View Post

I am not going to say this for sure (though I would bet money on it ), but you are likely seeing 720p plasmas when you see this. The only plasmas I seem to see lately at stores like target and walmart are of the 720p variety. These are bottom of the barrel 1024x768 plasmas. Even the old 1366x768 plasma I used to have would not show much in the way of pixel structure, but these 1024 x 768 models are pretty jaggy. An lcd/led of the same resolution would give the same impression, its not a "plasma thing", its resolution. Oh, btw, I prefer plasma lol.

Well, I see what you mean. However, when I look at displays and I can detect the line structure of the pixels I always notice that I am seeing a plasma (1920X1080). I think LCDs have a smoother look and while this may not translate as sharper, I find it less distracting.
I will try and be more detective-like and be certain of this. It's just something I have noticed. I guess I would say that for a cinema experience I prefer a projector (DLP). For a TV that must be seen in a bright room I have so far opted for LCDs. But I will consider Plasmas when the day comes to get another TV. (A long time from now I think.)

Also, the lighter weight of the LCDs is a consideration for me. But PQ really is the best factor to consider. (And perhaps I am responding (in my preference) to the burn-in factor that some still refer to in Plasmas.)

I wrote my initial "pixel-structure" comment about Plasmas because whenever I see Pixel structure (from the same distant for all candidates) I find it is a Plasma.
post #65 of 496 Old 05-04-2013, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62

I know that - they're everywhere in boardrooms / monitoring centres at work..

That's why I said 'can't really', you can't walk into BB and get one of those

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
post #66 of 496 Old 05-04-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 204
2015 for video display performance will be like 1974 was for car performance.

2015 will be the year that video will be in the sewer.

LCD--both 2K and 4K will suck.

LCD will just be edge lit 120 crap!

4LK Chinese LCD will suck just like it.

OLED will be perpetual vaporware.

They'll sell about 10 OLED displays in 2015 and charge $9,999 and act like that is the break through of the century.

Plasma will be gone.

The display forums will be places where the posters massacre each other over exactly HOW MUCH does 4K LCD suck compared to what OLED might be one day?!!!.

And all the patents that Panasonic bought from Pioneer--the ones they didn't use when they built the 2013 and 2014 ZT60s--

those patents will be in that radioactive storage site in that mountain in Nevada where they have stored the Colonel's ORIGINAL RECIPE for Kentucky Fried Chicken!
vance87 likes this.
post #67 of 496 Old 05-04-2013, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

I prefer Plasma in general over LCD yet oddly enough I ended up with a Sharp Elite 70" LCD. eek.gif

Yeah, same here. Would rather have the plasma but the heat it generates and the lighting issues (very bright room) steered me towards the same TV as you.

Dyslexics are teople poo.
post #68 of 496 Old 05-04-2013, 09:29 PM

Liked: 10
Plasma all day...long live my Kuro!
post #69 of 496 Old 05-04-2013, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Not so much burn-in i'm concerned with, it's mainly the IR you get from static huds on certain games, sometimes it goes away in a short amount of time. Sometimes you get the really stubborn IR which sometimes takes weeks to wipe away. I do like plasma for movies but for lots of gaming i recommend LCD so i don't have to baby my set and just play.

Input lag isn't so much a problem depending on the tv, you just have to do some research and find the one with the least amount of inputlag or just enable game mode.
post #70 of 496 Old 05-04-2013, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd View Post

Yeah, same here. Would rather have the plasma but the heat it generates and the lighting issues (very bright room) steered me towards the same TV as you.

Indeed. I always wanted a Kuro but couldn't afford one before they stopped selling them. I kept a close eye on Panny and Samsung Plasmas for a few years until I saw them side by side with the Elite at Value Electronics. The Sharp Elite was the perfect choice for me due to the near Kuro performance, larger screen size, light output, deep blacks, and great 3D performance. I don't see myself upgrading anytime soon and will wait for OLED to become more mainstream.

The rest of my family owns Plasmas BTW. My brother has a 50" Panny GT30, and my parents have 3 Pioneer Plasmas. One 50" non Elite Kuro, and two 60" Elite Kuros (8g and 9g). Guess who helped them choose what TV to buy? wink.gif
post #71 of 496 Old 05-04-2013, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

Indeed. I always wanted a Kuro but couldn't afford one before they stopped selling them. I kept a close eye on Panny and Samsung Plasmas for a few years until I saw them side by side with the Elite at Value Electronics. The Sharp Elite was the perfect choice for me due to the near Kuro performance, larger screen size, light output, deep blacks, and great 3D performance. I don't see myself upgrading anytime soon and will wait for OLED to become more mainstream.

The rest of my family owns Plasmas BTW. My brother has a 50" Panny GT30, and my parents have 3 Pioneer Plasmas. One 50" non Elite Kuro, and two 60" Elite Kuros (8g and 9g). Guess who helped them choose what TV to buy? wink.gif

Nice Plasma collection ! cool.gif

PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
post #72 of 496 Old 05-05-2013, 01:32 AM

Liked: 12
Having only owned my VT60 (my first Plasma display) for 4 days I have to say I love the picture quality.

However I will likely be returning the set this Monday due to the humming and buzzing noises the set makes. To be fair I'm in a very small room (mini-man cave) and I'm sitting 6.5 feet away from my 55 inch. I was very plasma phobic before I purchased this tv but was just sold on the outstanding reviews and it seemed like every sales person (contrary to what I heard in this forum) pushed me into a plasma. When I say every sales person I mean EVERY sales person said Panasonic Plasma was the way to go over any LED on the market. I was told the plasma symptoms of the past were just that, a thing of the past. I have the extended Best Buy warranty so I wasn't as concerned about IR/Burn in because that would be covered through BB however I was worried about humming and buzzing noises. They swore to me up and down it wouldn't do it and even the display models seemed to run silent.

Sure enough I got my new VT60 home and plugged all up and turned it on and it buzzes and hums a tune of 48dbs (by the fans). It sounds very much to me like a server (fan and electric noises). I'm not sure if this is related to my room being small, consistently being hot and being at altitude in Colorado but none the less it is noisy. I had a plasma fan boy buddy of mine who I really respect in regards to his knowledge of audio and video and he seemed to think what I was hearing was inherent to the technology. He noted that even though we were below Panasonic's rating of 7200 feet that 5800 feet was still high and made the set work harder than it would say in New Jersey. He associated that with the fact the fans had to work so hard to keep the set cool and the elevated noise level of the humming noises.

I watched the Mayweather fight tonight on a friends later model LED (lower end than anything I've been looking at) and I honestly really enjoyed the colors and brightness. I didn't notice any issues with its refresh rate or strange motion. Granted the blacks weren't as black but it didn't bother me any. Frankly I much rather have the tv silent and have mild light bleeding etc. than tolerate this consistent bees nest noise.

To be fair my set isn't officially broke in yet and hasn't been calibrated but I've noticed some mild motion issues on it as well when watching sports.

I certainly don't dispute the PQ of my VT60 and can easily see why its popular but honestly I prefer the LED sets. I'm not an expert and by no means believe my opinion, lessons and experience trumps anyone else's knowledge in this department however this week has left a really bad taste in my mouth with plasma tech.

Just a note. I was in BB today talking to my sales guys that helped me on this Plasma and we were just shooting the bull by the new Sony 4K set and WOW!!!! It's awesome. Too expensive for the time being for my taste but I liked it a lot more than my Plasma (that's going back).
post #73 of 496 Old 05-05-2013, 03:39 AM

I like the picture quality of plasma but room brightness dictates LCD at my home.
post #74 of 496 Old 05-05-2013, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I prefer plasma over LCD/LED for the picture quality, though we all know plasma televisions do have their issues. Though it's not part of the poll, I still prefer the picture quality of CRT over them all!

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I bought all this "stuff" to enjoy it!
post #75 of 496 Old 05-05-2013, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Pioneer Kuro. 5 years out, would buy it again over anything I've seen in the stores recently. Only regret is I didn't buy the 60". I have 3 LCD screens between 24"-32" and they are nice, I especially like my new NEC EA244WMi monitor for work...but I don't think they've scaled that screen any larger yet.

I would be surprised if LCD ever approaches Plasma for black levels but on everything else, LCDs have improved greatly.

Its not just a hobby, its a 401K reduction plan.
post #76 of 496 Old 05-05-2013, 05:53 AM

Liked: 12
I currently have an LCD, but am considering plasma for my next purchase. My main reservation is that I keep hearing stuff along the lines of "Plasma doesn't have a burn-in problem anymore. Just don't watch 2.35 or 1.33 material much or zoom/stretch to fit and don't watch channels with a bug or play videogames much, either."" Basically, it won't burn in if you don't do any of the stuff that causes burn-in, i.e. normal use. What good is superior picture quality if you can't watch what you want or have to watch it distorted or cropped?
Tarheel1400 and Mark12547 like this.
post #77 of 496 Old 05-05-2013, 06:24 AM

Liked: 49
Plasma all the way.......................i own 4 of last year top tv's by each manufacture .......2 Samsung led, 1 Sony led, and a Panasonic plasma for my basement theater. The Panasonic is king in my house the picture is very nice even though not as bright as my led tv's.
post #78 of 496 Old 05-05-2013, 06:55 AM

Liked: 14
I prefer plasma. To me, they have a more natural looking picture than LCD. To me, LCD picture is too cartoonish. Sort of like looking at a photograph of a scene, versus looking at the real thing. My plasma is in a fairly bright room during the day due to indirect ambient light and it still looks great to me.

post #79 of 496 Old 05-05-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_of_Sevens View Post

I currently have an LCD, but am considering plasma for my next purchase. My main reservation is that I keep hearing stuff along the lines of "Plasma doesn't have a burn-in problem anymore. Just don't watch 2.35 or 1.33 material much or zoom/stretch to fit and don't watch channels with a bug or play videogames much, either."" Basically, it won't burn in if you don't do any of the stuff that causes burn-in, i.e. normal use. What good is superior picture quality if you can't watch what you want or have to watch it distorted or cropped?

That's bs, you don't need to crop, just watch normally, unless its a really cheap plasma set..
Icon13 likes this.

post #80 of 496 Old 05-05-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Voted Plasma.

I bought my first 720p Panasonic plasma back in 2004, and I bought my second Panasonic (50" 1080p) in 2008. Still have both of them and they perform flawlessly today.

October HorrorFest Participant
post #81 of 496 Old 05-05-2013, 08:21 AM

Liked: 49
Quote:

That's bs, you don't need to crop, just watch normally, unless its a really cheap plasma set..

You are 100% correct, because at first i was afraid myself and try to baby mine...............i just got fed up and decide to watch tv and don't care. I can tell you i haven't gotten a burn in up to now and i watch a lot of cnn with logo and all. The only thing i suggest is to watch a variety of programs letter box, full screen and all and you should have no problems.
post #82 of 496 Old 05-05-2013, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_of_Sevens View Post

I've owned 4 plasmas in the lat 9 years (I upgrade alot) never had burn in, I'm a heavy gamer. I've even used my Panny G10 as a PC screen and have never had burn in, never known anyone who has.

post #83 of 496 Old 05-05-2013, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Plasma all the way...It seems that ever time a company get there plasma right they can't proceed on making them because the average consumer isn't willing to pay for a superior picture (Most of the time because they can't tell the difference, being in the A/V business these people which represent 90% of the buying population LOVE there sets in Dynamic mode LOL). There was Fujitsu who got there first, then Pioneer Elite, then Hitachi Directors Series, now Panasonic with there VT & ZT series. LCD's are horrible and at this point LED's other that the sharp elite(Which they stopped production of) & the new Sony. The only time I use LED's is when the set needs to be under 46"s as the only 42" plasmas to date are Costco worthy, even the samsung's(42" samsung, there bigger sets are very good when you get to the 7000 & above series)
post #84 of 496 Old 05-05-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullpuss View Post

You are 100% correct, because at first i was afraid myself and try to baby mine...............i just got fed up and decide to watch tv and don't care. I can tell you i haven't gotten a burn in up to now and i watch a lot of cnn with logo and all. The only thing i suggest is to watch a variety of programs letter box, full screen and all and you should have no problems.

Exactly, same here. I watch lots of sports, news etc and haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood). You just can't leave that stuff on pause for a day ! tongue.gif

If you do, then you just run the pixel flipper on the Disney WOW BD or something similar.. that should get rid of most IR, even persistent IR, but obviously won't help with burn-in (rare)

post #85 of 496 Old 05-05-2013, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

Exactly, same here. I watch lots of sports, news etc and haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood). You just can't leave that stuff on pause for a day ! tongue.gif

If you do, then you just run the pixel flipper on the Disney WOW BD or something similar.. that should get rid of most IR, even persistent IR, but obviously won't help with burn-in (rare)

For me it was as simple as being mindful of what I watched and having the TV on all day for the first 100 hours, I hit about 90 on my set (ST50) when gears judgment came out and said good enough, 4 hours into the game no IR. Now I just run the bars at the end of the day before bed... To me its not inconvenient to take a little extra care of my set.

post #86 of 496 Old 05-05-2013, 09:18 AM

Liked: 29
I love that everybody votes plasma yet plasma sales are in the trash. So what's the discrepancy?

Either you're all liars, which is fine.

Or you're all enthusiasts who know plasma is better. This is fine also, but I must ask, why didn't you advise your friends to buy plasma? If you're an enthusiast why didn't they take your advice?

I think everyone owns LCD and LED TVs and won't admit it.
post #87 of 496 Old 05-05-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris5028 View Post

For me it was as simple as being mindful of what I watched and having the TV on all day for the first 100 hours, I hit about 90 on my set (ST50) when gears judgment came out and said good enough, 4 hours into the game no IR. Now I just run the bars at the end of the day before bed... To me its not inconvenient to take a little extra care of my set.

Exactly, I ran 100+ hours of break in slides before really watching it, that definitely helps

post #88 of 496 Old 05-05-2013, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I just bought a Panasonic 60U50 a month and a half ago to replace my 40 inch Sony EX500 (which is a good TV) which has been relegated to basement duty. I love my new Panny, and its the lowest Panasonic 1080p plasma they make, which isn't a big deal because most of the money goes into the 3D and smart features beyond this model until you get to the GT/VT series. I have big bay windows to the left of my viewing area, and when the TV is off I could probably use the reflection in the screen to shave if I had to, but when the TV is on all I have to do is draw the shades, and the reflection is a non issue, it's still watchable with the shades open too. I had a friend come over after I got my tv and he went out and bought a plasma 2 weeks later (all be it a Samsung, not a Panny) and he loves it. Plasma sales are down because a huge majority of people buying TV's are either uninformed about the PQ of plasmas, they still think plasmas have the same issues they did 10 years ago, and most people aren't buying big screen (50" +) tv's. I think the smallest plasma you can get is in the 42" range. Not to mention a large amount of tv purchases consist of people that don't care about the specs of the tv their buying, only the price, walking out of Wal-Mart with 37" Sansui's or Scepters, or Emersons that they paid $225 for and are just going to screw the cable into the back of them and watch it just like they did their old tube TV.

Panasonic P60U54
Pioneer VSX-1122 K
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PC12 Plus, PC Ultra (12")
PS3, PS2
post #89 of 496 Old 05-05-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Prefer plasma even though 3D is dimmer than a good LED set, but I'm still loving the picture on my calibrated Panasonic 60GT30.

"The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests. And cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed!"

-Bane

post #90 of 496 Old 05-05-2013, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by dochollerin View Post

I love that everybody votes plasma yet plasma sales are in the trash. So what's the discrepancy?

Either you're all liars, which is fine.

Or you're all enthusiasts who know plasma is better. This is fine also, but I must ask, why didn't you advise your friends to buy plasma? If you're an enthusiast why didn't they take your advice?

I think everyone owns LCD and LED TVs and won't admit it.

The issue is that the poll here only represents AVS Forum users, which is not an accurate representation of the actual panel display market. Average Joe Sixpack shopping at Wal-Mart using an IQ that might be less than the diagonal screen dimension is picking up a Sceptre or a Vizio LCD and calling it good. What is attracting the eye of A.J. Sixpack? The LCD panel with the brightness pushed to 11 and visible from orbit (or at least 100 yards down the aisle on the endcap). Combine that with the historical stigmas that plasma technology continues to labour under into the present and it's not a mystery as to why LCD panel sales trump plasma.

I do personally own a Pioneer Kuro KRP-600M and it's the most fantastic viewing experience I've ever had in any home, including projection screen setups. When friends have looked into purchasing flat-panels I advised them on the pros/cons of both technologies, and ultimately their viewing needs are what should govern their choice, not my personal bias. If you have a bright room with lots of natural or artificial ambient lighting and the viewers are only watching for casual entertainment then LCD/LED becomes the more attractive/appropriate choice. If you are regularly watching feature films and have lighting control over the room then plasma is the go-to. I personally think a lot of the ancillary considerations in the LCD/plasma debate are superfluous.

Power consumption? It's not as though running a plasma display is going to add thousands of dollars to your yearly electric bill. In my mind watching a film is entertainment; I'll be energy frugal with my dishwasher and clothes dryer.
Weight? This argument is trotted out every now and again and has no bearing on the actual performance of a display. Might be a concern if you are using an articulating mount but beyond that so long as your house wasn't built by hydrocephalic monkeys any wall will handily support the weight of a plasma.
Buzzing? Maybe if you are watching silent movies all the time or prefer your movies on MUTE. It's been my experience that any panel noise from a plasma panel is masked by the ambient noisefloor of the programme material. Buzzing really loud? Guess what, your panel needs to be serviced or replaced.
Chris5028 likes this.

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Plasma Vs Led , Plasma Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page