Do You Prefer Plasma or LED-LCD TVs? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Do You Prefer Plasma or LED-LCD TVs?
Plasma 570 81.66%
LED-LCD 128 18.34%
Voters: 698. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 496 Old 05-03-2013, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 806

Despite the recent news that Panasonic might halt research and development of plasma technology—and the fact that plasma TVs represent only about 10 percent of the flat-panel market—this remains the perennial question for all TV shoppers. Both types of flat panels have their pros and cons, so you must decide which pros and cons are important to you.

Which type of flat-panel TV do you prefer: plasma with its sharper motion detail, often better blacks, and superior off-axis performance, or LED-LCD with its brighter image, often less-reflective screen, and more economical power consumption?

Given some of the nasty comments in recent threads about plasma TVs, I'd like to remind you that all opinions are welcome, but comments designed to incite others will not be allowed. Please be respectful of those who disagree with you.

TerryofMPS likes this.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 496 Old 05-03-2013, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
In my opinion Plasma is the way to go. I have friends with very nice Sony LED displays and I have to say the PQ on my plasma is a world apart.
Djoel and dctrombly like this.

post #3 of 496 Old 05-03-2013, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
As someone who has worked as an installer plasma wins hands down. Of course because of the weight they are not as easily installed, but picture quality is everything. When I needed a new TV in 2004 I was interested in a Sony LCD, and after comparing the picture on the LCD against Sony's mammoth rear projection CRT I chose the CRT. LCD picture quality has improved dramatically over the years, but plasma is king, at least probably until OLED. I am now looking to replace the Sony with a Panasonic plasma so I'll be watching for an incredible deal. The Sony still works great but I doubt I could even give it away.
TerryofMPS likes this.
post #4 of 496 Old 05-03-2013, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Waiting for inexpensive site OLEDs.
post #5 of 496 Old 05-03-2013, 06:10 PM

Liked: 33
At the moment, I think the only situation I wouldn't choose plasma would be a bright room where the tv was viewed mainly during the day.
SimpleTheater and repete66211 like this.

post #6 of 496 Old 05-03-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Im a plasma lover thru and thru but it really depends on the situation; how light controled the room is. If the room is dark or you are able to put shades down over windows and block most of the light a good plasma is my top choice. But if the room is always bright and/or viewing is done during the day than an LED/LCD will be the better choice since they are brighter and wont look as washed out. In a dark room that brightness is overkill though.

Panasonic stopping plasma production sure is sad. But once OLEDs are out and have dropped down to real world prices I will not be so glum. Im holding on to my Kuro plasma in my living room with a death grip though.
gonzo90017 likes this.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #7 of 496 Old 05-03-2013, 06:15 PM

Liked: 14
I prefer plasma for the picture quality and uniformed black!
gonzo90017 likes this.

post #8 of 496 Old 05-03-2013, 06:18 PM

Liked: 12
I think the reports that Panasonic is halting the production of plasma TVs was a bit premature. The company has even come out and denied that it was true. I think they would probably like to get out of plasma production but I think they are kicking down the road a bit. The collaboration of Sony and Panasonic producing OLEDs together has been the best news for TV technology in recent years. At least maybe they won't stop production until we have something comparable that is at least as good.
post #9 of 496 Old 05-03-2013, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I like plasma for the better black levels and viewing angles, but I have a light controlled room. I don't need a new TV but the reviews the new Panasonics make me interested.
post #10 of 496 Old 05-03-2013, 06:37 PM

Liked: 11
I had gone from a DLP projector to a DLP rear projection set in my theater. When it came time to get a new TV for the living room for casual viewing, I got a Sony LED-LCD set (Bravia 720). I was very impressed with the picture on it so when it came time to get new display for the theater, I looked at the best LED-LCDs on the market (Sony 950 and Elite). I was seriously underwhelmed by the Sony with clouding, uneven backlighting and low black levels. The Elite was better, but still not totally uniform. Fortunately, I read the C-NET review of the new Panasonic ST60 plasma and was intrigued enough to look into getting a plasma which I had never considered before because of all the bad things I had heard about them (too dim, too much heat, too much buzzing, etc.). I have purchased the ST60 and, for the price, I don't think it can be beat. Given that all LED-LCD manufacturers have gone to edge lit sets, I think plasma will be the best solution for serious videophiles until O-LED is available.
gonzo90017 likes this.
post #11 of 496 Old 05-03-2013, 07:06 PM

Liked: 18
Plasma...IS the only way to go - overall picture quality, zero-blur motion, and superior black levels - perfect for sports and full-screen 1.78:1 features. However, I'd never recommend it for heavy usage of 2:35:1 features, unless you stretch-to-fit. LCD and LED eliminates this issue. It all depends on your criteria of usage...
post #12 of 496 Old 05-03-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Years ago i new not much about Flatscreens. Plasma seemed way to big for me and there were some ugly Plasma stories floating around so i bought my first LCd 28 inch. I had a CRT for five years and was not happy with the LCd replacement. For several years i had upgrade fever. I bought bigger LCd's with better PQ and start spending more time on Forums such as AVS. The upgrade fever stopped after buying a 46X4500/xbr8 ( Scott was one of the reviewers smile.gif). Its good enough for the time being, i am not in a hurry to upgrade. My main complaint is blooming but i can live with that. I am pretty shure that i would hate Plasma IR and i would not be happy with the ''taking care of my Plasma'' stuff especially since i watch a lot black bar stuff.

Spending a lot of time on Forums such as AVS means you will be confronted with lots of ''Plasma is superior'' and ''LCd sucks''. I don't know about that. When PQ is good enough its good enough. For me the X4500 was good enough to replace my CRT...

If i had to buy a TV now it probably would be a Local Dimming because i know what to expect. I am basically neutral in the Plasma/LCd ''debate'' so if i had the money i would buy a top Local Dimming and a top Plasma and enjoy them both. Since i am not in a hurry to upgrade i hope my TV will be ok till OLED is affordable.

btw a lot of things can happen and eventually we might all be forced to buy a 4K Edge Lit Dimming tongue.gif
post #13 of 496 Old 05-03-2013, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
Currently Plasma and preferably Panasonic's but that could change when OLED is affordable and lives up to its promises.
post #14 of 496 Old 05-03-2013, 07:53 PM

Liked: 16
post #15 of 496 Old 05-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Plasma, my VT50 is beautiful, its hard for me to watch friends LCDs.
Nick_si likes this.

post #16 of 496 Old 05-03-2013, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Up until 2 years ago, I was convinced that LED-LCD was the way to go, mostly due to marketing and the erroneous information spread about Plasma displays. Surprisingly, it was a Best Buy employee who suggested I try a Plasma when I was looking to upsize the 55" LED-LCD I had at the time. They convinced me to try the Panasonic 65VT30, and I have never looked back. I was amazed at what I had been missing for all of these years and the LED-LCD that was relegated to my bedroom, pales in comparison to my plasma. The plasma has deeper blacks, better screen uniformity, better depth and an all around more lifelike image.

fdsfds
post #17 of 496 Old 05-03-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 94
Depends on the room for me.

If you have a nice dark man cave, or any other room with controlled lighting, then a Plasma! Great blacks and color accuracy wink.gif

If you have a bright room with uncontrolled lighting, like lots of windows, french doors or glass patio sliding doors, then a LED. For the most part they're brighter and less reflective than plasmas. And, in that kind of room the (more marginal every year) difference in color accuracy can't really be seen.
post #18 of 496 Old 05-03-2013, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Plasma hands down.

I just recently downgraded screen sizes from a 70" Sharp LE847U (Their flagship 2012 model) to a 2013 Panasonic 60ST60. I have owned both plasma and LCD and nothing can compare to the pop of colors and shadow detail of a plasma. While it does have its drawbacks, I feel that the trade offs of going with plasma do not outweigh the drawbacks of an LCD.

Before the Sharp I owned a Samsung PN50C8000 plasma display which I loved dearly, and before that I owned a samsung D550 and Panasonic G25 for a short time, before then a few different LCD's and rear projection HDTV's.

The two biggest complaints of Plasma displays seems to be luminance and image retention. I personally do not find luminance to be that much of an issue even in a realitivly bright room. Even without the screen filter of lower end displays, while black do not look black, the picture is certainly bright enough to look good. Some shadow detail does get crushed, but not many people do their critical viewing during the day, or while their room is lit up like the 4th of july. Image retention is a non issue, burning in a plasma display these days is nearly impossible, while it can be done and im sure has been done, someone would really have to neglect their TV, leave a screen on for days for this to happen..

The drawbacks of an LCD? Bad screen uniformity, less shadow detail, lighter blacks, colors not as accurate, less depth to picture etc..

All the LCD's ive seen have one thing in common, this includes Samsungs 8000 series, the Sharp elite etc, they all lack the depth and sharpness and plasma naturally has. They all lack the screen uniformity a plasma has, and while some higher end displays do get close to the black levles, that comes with drawbacks of its own (Flash lighting, Haloing etc)

LCD's use less power, they don't get image retention and they can get bright enough to burn out your retnas.. Higher end LCD pictures look great, but side by side to even a low end plasma and you can see how much they lack. I loved my Sharp 847u, it was a great TV, gave me close to a home theater experiance at hom being so big.. but having had a high end plasma for 2 years previously.. after 3 months I just couldent take it anymore, I craved that natural depth and picture sharpness the plasma offers and went to a new ST60.. oh and did I mention the black levels? Oh lord the black levels.. first time ever I enjoyed turning every light off in my room because the black bars looked black with the ST60, and all for 1400 bucks? Yes please. you'd have to spend 2-3x that much to get this kind of performance out of an LCD of the same size.

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #19 of 496 Old 05-03-2013, 08:52 PM

Plasma. For sports you cannot beat it. No blur, very sharp picture, great colors.

Panasonic 65 inch GT30. great price, great picture.

I have seen the 2013 sets, even better!
vaix77 likes this.
post #20 of 496 Old 05-03-2013, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Took 3 years to get here where I have an absolutely beautiful LG LED/LCD 55LHX with it's Matte Screen, and full 3360 LED BackLight. Thanks to the New Calman 5.1.1, and the Spectracal C6 profiled off the i1Pro. (Plus some neat calibrating tricks I've learned on the set.) Even the wife now commenting that I finally got it right! When calibrated right, the LED/LCD gives a great bright and clear PQ! Have to admit though, I think LED/LCDs have taken a step backwards with this so called Edge Lit! Glad I bought my back lits when I did.
post #21 of 496 Old 05-03-2013, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Plasma, of course. Started shopping for a flat panel about 2004. Looked at the Sony LCD's and was astounded at how bad they looked so I stuck it out with a 10 year old Sony Trinitron 27" CRT television for a while longer. Then I started reading about plasma TVs. LCD's still sucked even compared to the Sony SD CRT I had. Well, in 2008 the trusty CRT finally died and I was forced to get something to replace it (YAY!). The replacement? A Panasonic TH-50PZ850U and it's still going strong at my brother's house. Right now I have a 2009 model TH-65PZ850U and am very happy with it.

I tell everyone I know looking for a new TV to give plasma's a shot, pointing out all the deficiencies of both plasma's and LCD sets. One friend disregarded my advice and got a LED-LCD anyway. He thought it looked so much better in the store than the plasmas did. Once he got it home and started watching it his eyes were opened. 2 days later he took it back and bought a Panasonic plasma. Happy camper ever since.

post #22 of 496 Old 05-03-2013, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by conehead433 View Post

I think the reports that Panasonic is halting the production of plasma TVs was a bit premature. The company has even come out and denied that it was true. I think they would probably like to get out of plasma production but I think they are kicking down the road a bit. The collaboration of Sony and Panasonic producing OLEDs together has been the best news for TV technology in recent years. At least maybe they won't stop production until we have something comparable that is at least as good.

They have not said they are stopping plasma production, only R&D.
post #23 of 496 Old 05-03-2013, 10:13 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

They have not said they are stopping plasma production, only R&D.

I feel.as though the plasma television as an entity in.the HDTV race, has peaked itself out technologically years ago, aside from all the other universal flat-panel enhancements technology has to offer to keep the plasma television concept refreshing to the consumer. This doesnt change the fact that plasma is still superior in picture clarity.
post #24 of 496 Old 05-04-2013, 12:52 AM

I own a KRP-500m which I have calibrated with an Eye One Pro meter. I absolutely HATE lcds. I think it is a travesty that average consumers have been misled and "sold" on lcd technology when, for most people, there is NO benefit over obviously superior plasma displays. I understand the average consumer is not that bright and generally is sold on "screen size" and little else, but if you honestly sat down any person looking to buy a new TV with a quality plasma versus an LCD and they were both being sold for about the same price, I think 99% of people would choose the plasma. Unfortunately, when you walk into Best Buy, something like 95% of the tvs on display are LCDs. Plasma displays aren't pushed by sales representatives and consumers aren't educated about their benefits.

And a good plasma can get plenty bright enough for daytime viewing. My KRP-500m can put out 50+ fl of light while maintaining a perfect grayscale and gamma. But even during the day that is too bright for me, so I keep it at 42 fl, and 33 fl for night.

The ONLY reason I see for LCDs to even exist is for very low priced tvs (under $1000) where quality is not important or they need to be viewed in an extremely bright area. And for computer monitors, since Plasma tech cannot handle regular computer work due to burn in.

I really see no reason for high end displays to use LCD or LED technology. Why are so few companies developing plasma displays? Given the relative parity of prices and the obvious superiority of black levels, viewing angle, color accuracy and motion handling, why would anyone spend $2000 or more on a display that is based on LCD technology?

It really doesn't make much sense to me at all. I think Pioneer proved that plasma tech can be developed to be nearly on the level of OLED and that plasma can be the basis of amazing image quality if only companies would put the effort into development of the technology. Instead, virtually every company except Panasonic are screwing around with LCD and LED tech which has so many inherent flaws that no amount of research and development can overcome.

And if it is true that the ZT60 is the last Panasonic plasma, I feel that would be a travesty as well. The last company making quality plasma screens abandons the technology.

I understand the desire to move towards OLED tech, but honestly how long do you think it will be until we can buy a 50 or 60" OLED display that blows away the Kuro (or the ZT60) for $3000 to $4000? I would say it will be a good four or five years at least.

I would like to see plasma tech continue to be developed, taking the baton from Pioneer, and see plasma as a lower cost (but relatively comparable) display technology that can coexist with OLED and be supported and developed until OLED is ubiquitous and cheap and clearly performing better than any plasma display.

And I would love to see LCD tech die off for good.

That is my 2 cents on this subject.
post #25 of 496 Old 05-04-2013, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Until something can approach the film like quality of my Mitsubishi 73738 Dlp , I'm staying put! Oled, perhaps! as long as its more than 80". I have led displays around the house and think there great but as a film buff I can't deal with the cons. front projectors aren't out but will have to better in both pricing and bulb life. So until the time is right and 4k is native and a curved 90" oled is priced right , I purchased 2 extra lamps for my Dlp ;)http://www.avsforum.com/t/1471218/do-you-prefer-plasma-or-led-lcd-tvs/0_40
post #26 of 496 Old 05-04-2013, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Plasma for all the reasons previously mentioned.
post #27 of 496 Old 05-04-2013, 04:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had a 32'' sharp LED about 1.5 years ago in my living room where i can easily control the light by the curtains. I upgraded to a 65'' VT30 Panasonic plasma and i have to admit that the black levels , viewing angles and picture quality is a phenom ! Not to mention the full HD 3D ... it's simply gorgeus ! So yeah , plasma all the way.
post #28 of 496 Old 05-04-2013, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

Plasma for all the reasons previously mentioned.

Agree
terminaldawn and vaix77 like this.
post #29 of 496 Old 05-04-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
PLASMA. Its nice that, as of today, about 85% of forum members prefer plasma (at least we dodged the sales lies). I had samsung c650 and the power supply went out (but it had beautiful color), and now a Panasonc VT30, which I could be satisfied with forever. My brother has a ten year old Panasonic 720p plasma that he's praying goes out (his kids even shot it with a bb gun and knocked a chip out of the glass screen! Nothing...no problems). I watch 2.35:1 movies on my VT30 ALL THE TIME and have had no problems that don't resolve within 20 minutes of viewing 1.85 material, DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE, ITS GARBAGE PROPAGANDA! Buy what looks best and buy the warranty in case lightning strikes! (or your power supply fails).
post #30 of 496 Old 05-04-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
I prefer plasma, but for my environment, the 70 inch Sharp gives me very good performance for the price paid. I don't want to sit in the dark to watch tv during the day, so I needed a screen that did not reflect light when my pocket doors are open. I upgraded from a 51 inch Sony to a 65 inch Mitsubishi DLP back in 2006. The DLP had very accurate color, more natural than my current set. I did not want to want to risk ir - wife puts stuff on pause for extended amounts of time - so LED for me in the living room. The biggest benefit for me in upgrading from DLP to LED is the lack of fan noise. I use this set more as a large monitor - the text is much sharper (no pun intended) than on the DLP. I appreciate the great black levels, off axis viewing angles, and true to life color of a plasma panel, but glare and reflections off the screen were a downer.

Browsing AVS in the living room

blu-ray playback over network

hd dvd

hd dvd

hd dvd on the Mits DLP

Sony 51 inch from 2001- check the reflection of my dining room. That's why I went with a screen with a matte finish. Look at all of those remotes! eek.gif

I find that having a pc connected to the television is sometimes more efficient than having a "smart TV"

Originally Posted by jrodefeld:
"I own a KRP-500m which I have calibrated with an Eye One Pro meter. I absolutely HATE lcds. I think it is a travesty that average consumers have been misled and "sold" on lcd technology when, for most people, there is NO benefit over obviously superior plasma displays. I understand the average consumer is not that bright and generally is sold on "screen size" and little else, but if you honestly sat down any person looking to buy a new TV with a quality plasma versus an LCD and they were both being sold for about the same price, I think 99% of people would choose the plasma. Unfortunately, when you walk into Best Buy, something like 95% of the tvs on display are LCDs. Plasma displays aren't pushed by sales representatives and consumers aren't educated about their benefits."

Part of the problem in shopping for a new television is the lack of training of store staff. Coming a retail training background, I found that the average consumer wants to be educated about the technology, and your average store rep (in some but not all cases) just wants to make the sale without asking the right questions. I do disagree that the average customer is not that bright, and sold on screen size, and little else. It is very difficult to evaluate a television in the retail space. If you had a plasma panel and lcd/led that were calibrated next to each other in a lighting controlled area, with good demo content, the plasma would win. I'd always tell my customers that their set will look better in their home than it does under these ungodly bright lights - especially with my plasma customers. On the other hand, there are no reasonably priced plasma displays in the 70 to 80 inch class - so Sharp and Vizio have that game locked in for the moment.

Shoppers today sometimes are pre-sold on LCD and have heard myths about plasma:
"I heard that they don't last."
"They need to be recharged."
"They burn in."
"My electric bill is gonna go up. They use a lot of power, don't they?"

When was the last time you saw an television ad for a plasma panel from Panasonic, Samsung or LG? Consumers do research before shopping, and they are much brighter than you assume. Just my 2.5 cents.
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Plasma Vs Led , Plasma Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page