AVS Forum banner

Review Your Blu-ray Player, Win an Amazon Shopping Spree!

12K views 91 replies 83 participants last post by  PGTweed 
#1 ·

If you own a Blu-ray player (and who doesn't on AVS?), here's your chance to tell the world how much you enjoy it—or not—and possibly win one of three Amazon gift cards.

First prize is $300, second and third prizes are $100 each!

To enter, all you have to do is post a review of your Blu-ray player, and post a link to your review in this thread. Three of the reviews will be selected at random as the winners after verifying their eligibility.

What makes a review eligible?

1) The review must be submitted between May 31 and June 14, 2013, on a product within the AVS Blu-ray player category;

2) The review must contain a title, overall rating stars, review-detail ratings, pros, cons, and a minimum 100-word body;

3) The review must be new, original work and not republished, in whole or in part, from another location on AVS Forum or elsewhere on the Internet;

4) AVS Forum reserves the right to disqualify reviews of very low quality at our discretion. Be thorough and helpful to your readers, and use good punctuation, spelling, and grammar.

Never written a review on AVS Forum before? It's easy! Click here for a tutorial . To summarize, first go to the Blu-ray player product page and click on "Add Item" in the upper right. Next, enter the make and model number of your player into the search box, then click on the product in the resulting list. Finally, click on "Write a Review" in the upper right of that product's page, and input your review. It doesn't matter if someone else has already reviewed the same player; we love multiple perspectives!

The most important things to cover in the main body are:

1) Features—Does it provide 3D and/or streaming capabilities? Which features are useful and which are not?

2) Setup—How did you connect it to your system, directly to the display or to an AVR or pre/pro? How easy is it to set the correct aspect ratio?

3) User Interface—Are the remote and menu system well designed? Are they easy or difficult to use?

4) Performance—How quickly does the player boot up, how quickly do Blu-rays load and start to play, how good does the image look, how good does the audio sound, how well does it upscale DVDs? Cite examples from content you've watched.

So what are you waiting for? Fire up your Blu-ray player and take a critical look, then submit your review and post a link to it in this thread for a chance to win a shopping spree on Amazon!

For complete contest terms and conditions, click here .

See less See more
#4 ·
#7 ·
#10 ·
Can I review my HD-DVD Player for this?

#11 ·
My PS3 has served me very well....It's the slim, and has the ability to bitstream, unlike my old 'fat' PS3. My only gripe is that there are slight 'pauses' on blurays, and it is noticable with a 115" scope screen. PQ is pretty good and is one of the fastest loaders of the whole bunch......I think I would get an Oppo down the road for a dedicated player

#12 ·
#15 ·
1) Features—Does it provide 3D and/or streaming capabilities? Which features are useful and which are not?

My Philips Blu-ray player was purchased in Hong Kong for my apartment there in 2009. It does have a broadband interface, but no 3D. The broadband interface has NOT AT ALL BEEN USEFUL.

2) Setup—How did you connect it to your system, directly to the display or to an AVR or pre/pro? How easy is it to set the correct aspect ratio?

Connection is made through a Yamaha A/V receiver using HDMI. Aspect ratio is easy to set up & adjust.

3) User Interface—Are the remote and menu system well designed? Are they easy or difficult to use?

Basic features are programmed into a universal remote, but there are minor issues with menu and chapter access. These can be directly accessed through the Philips remote.

4) Performance—How quickly does the player boot up, how quickly do Blu-rays load and start to play, how good does the image look, how good does the audio sound, how well does it upscale DVDs? Cite examples from content you've watched.

This 2009 player takes a while to boot up and load. Image quality is excellent and sound quality is quite good, but not "outstanding". Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scotts is my measure of performance and it comes across adequately, attributing sound quality to my receiver and loudspeakers. The upscale feature is marginally noticeable, but a far cry from DVD as I also own a conventional DVD of the Jeff Beck performance. The Blu-ray disk far outperforms the DVD - even with upscaling.

Frankly, I've "Handbrake'd" a number of my music DVDs for use with Apple TV which is my convenient access to music and a few feature motion pictures. I rarely use my Blu-ray anymore.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baenwort  /t/1475152/review-your-blu-ray-player-win-an-amazon-shopping-spree#post_23382411

Can I review my HD-DVD Player for this?

I too am an "obsoletist" - not one piece of equipment I use is still made! I was briefly disqualified from this designation when I bought an Oppo BDP-93 last year, but welcomed myself back into the fold when it was replaced by a newer model within a few months.

-Phil

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson  /t/1475152/review-your-blu-ray-player-win-an-amazon-shopping-spree/0_100#post_23375091

If you own a Blu-ray player (and who doesn't on AVS?), here's your chance to tell the world how much you enjoy it—or not—and possibly win one of three Amazon gift cards.
I know it is the cat's pajamas but I am truly resisting the urge to own a BD player; as I have had this weird issue with the territorialism by Sony, going even beyond the demise of the DAT availability for consumers.

#22 ·
I have never felt the need to even purchase a 'Blu-ray Player'. I've been using Arcsoft TotalMedia 5 on my HTPC, launched from SageTV. Plays everything perfectly, including media copied to harddisk, full menu support, BDLive, HDAudio, 3D (even on my older pre-3DBD standard Samsung DLP - something most consumer players cannot do without an adapted box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.