How Often Do You See a Movie in a Theater Before Watching it at Home? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: How Often Do You See a Movie in a Theater Before Watching it at Home?
I never go to the movie theater 67 23.93%
1-30% of the movies I watch at home, I've seen in a theater 156 55.71%
31-60% of the movies I watch at home, I've seen in a theater 31 11.07%
61-80% of the movies I watch at home, I've seen in a theater 16 5.71%
Nearly all the movies I watch at home, I've seen in a theater 10 3.57%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 81 Old 06-10-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 857

Most of us remember the first movie we saw on the big screen in a commercial theater. That larger-than-life picture and tremendous sound was amazing! Today, we have the technology to bring much of that experience into our homes with large-screen displays and lossless surround-sound audio. But it's still not the same—or is it? We were wondering how the cinematic experience impacts your home-theater habits, and vice versa. Does the fact that you're a home-theater enthusiast mean that you go out to the movies more or less often than before? Take our survey and find out what it reveals about our entertainment habits today.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 Old 06-10-2013, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Considering the last movie I have seen in the theatre was Star Wars - Phantom Menance, I voted never.

I prefer my modest surround set-up at home to that at the theatre plus the popcorn is cheap, beer in the fridge, and no annoying people around me.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #3 of 81 Old 06-10-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
I usually only go to the theater for a highly anticipated movie, one that I just can't wait to see. My desire to see the movie has to overcome my aversion towards the public theater experience. Crackling bags and the constant crunch of popcorn, teenagers who can't keep their mouths closed and their cell phones off, seating that's the luck of the draw, and all too often a less than stellar A/V experience. At home, everything is on my terms, I can even pause it if I need to. A good home theater often surpasses the A/V experience you get at the public theaters.

If I had a choice, I'd never go to a movie theater ever again.
Five28 likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #4 of 81 Old 06-10-2013, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I barely go to the theater, last time was forced to go to watch 007 Skifall because my sister blackmailed me tongue.gif , just don´t enjoy many people around me, I prefer my budget HT and 32" TV over the theater, still, as a zombie fan, World War Z is DEMANDING me to go to the theater.cool.gif
post #5 of 81 Old 06-10-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I voted in the 31-60% range because I am not very consistent but I also dont go often. For instance, here a couple weeks ago me and my wife saw both the new Star Trek and The Great Gatsby in a two week period of time. However, it is usually a month or two(sometimes more) between going to the theater.

Biggest problem is that here there really is not anything to do on the weekends other than watch a movie. However, as time has gone on we have both found that we are going to the theater less and getting in our "comfies" more and staying home for a movie or two. Even though it is a little more expensive than redbox, we can watch brand new movies in HD with HD sound from DirecTV Cinema without leaving the comfort of the couch.

I would even say that my system, which is a modest one compared to many I see on here, sounds better than the theaters in my home town. It seems to me like they can never get the sound correct. When we watched, "Les Misrables" in the theater we couldnt even hear the music in the back ground and had to strain to understand anything that was going on....

In The Great Gatsby the music was so loud I left with a headache...

None of these issues occur at home...

I also hate cell phones in the theater!

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #6 of 81 Old 06-10-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I used to love going to the theater - always attending movies opening weekend if not opening night. The joy of being part of that excitement to see the movie, coupled with the positive feeling the crowd generated was very satisfying for me.

Over time I grew less enthused about going to the theater to watch a movie, and this wane in enthusiasm was sped up by my foray into the home theater world.

1. I became overly critical of my viewing experiences in the theater. If the film was just out of focus, or audio was off, it would impact me enough to detract from my overall experience.
2. Crowds changed from fun to annoying. As cell phones spread like wildfire, it became more and more distracting to see 5, 10, 15+ cell phones lighting up - off and -on - just under my line of sight throughout a movie. There always seemed to be someone a few rows over who had their "tones" on their keypad and would type anyway...
3. With dvds/blurays coming out so quickly after theatrical release, I found myself simply waiting to enjoy movies at my home - where I could watch when I wanted, could control audio and PQ, didn't have distracting attendees with me.

The last movie I recall seeing in the theater was "Haywire", before that "Star Trek".

-JR
DeadEd and TheGigaShadow like this.
post #7 of 81 Old 06-10-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 205
I have a great a/v setup at home but I still love going to the theater. Because "going to a movie" isn't just about the movie, it's an event--large dark room, other people, big screen, popcorn, previews, credits, etc. I'm not thrilled that a movie for three costs the same as three Blu-rays but it's a memory thing and it's something the family can do together as a unit. Also, I'm not big on crowds so I like to see a movie after it's been out a couple of weeks.
Five28 and robnix like this.

post #8 of 81 Old 06-10-2013, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 56
JuiceRocket echos my feelings exactly. I can't remember the last movie I saw in a theater though I do want to try and see the new Star Trek.

Dyslexics are teople poo.
post #9 of 81 Old 06-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I only go to the Theater when I just can't wait for a movie. Usually it's one of those blockbuster types, like Batman The Dark Knight. All other releases I wait until the bluray and we watch it in our dedicated theater in the basement! Being able to hit "pause" for a restroom break, has advantages as well!! smile.gif
post #10 of 81 Old 06-10-2013, 02:01 PM

Liked: 16
Not to much for me anymore. With some movies having a longer running time, the seat can get uncomfortable for me. But the cell phones lighting up so someone can send a text or whatever is really annoying anymore.
post #11 of 81 Old 06-10-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I go to the theater quite a bit. Id say 20-30 times a year. Im definitly a cinema NUT!! My wife is too. I voted 31-60%. Im very satisfied with my home theaters audio and video quality but theres just something about going to the theater and seeing a movie on a gigantic screen. And even though most of our home theaters sound great and look wonderfull you just cant recreate the way big cinema speakers fill up a giant room with sound. Theres many bad cinemas out there with poor, lackluster sound but once you find one that does it right its very hard to recreate that sense of largeness at home. MIne comes close though as do many on here im sure. Also that feeling of communtiy from seeing a movie in a packed house can be a great experience. Thats assuming the people your sharing the movie with arent' the super obnoxious type we all know and love lol. But the cinema is where most if not all of us began our love affair with movies and A/V. Lets keep that spirit alive. Long live the CINEMA!!!

JBL Pro Cinema
post #12 of 81 Old 06-10-2013, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ill only go for anticipated Big action blockbuster and take my son for the experience still good to go to a theatre
post #13 of 81 Old 06-10-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 509
The lower braket needed to be more like 1 to 5%. I rarely go, or care to go, but sometimes get roped in by friends. So less than 5% of the time for me, but not never.

Not long ago, my wife and I had plans to go see Great Gatsby and we talked ourselves out of it saying we can just wait to rent it and it'll be better.
post #14 of 81 Old 06-10-2013, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I make it my business to see a new-release movie at least once, though usually not more than twice, during its initial run. (The only movie I broke that rule with was the English dub of Princess Mononoke, which I saw nine times in various theaters during its initial run.) If I ever see a movie again outside of the first run, it'll usually be during a retrospective at a small theater, or during a marathon like the recent ones for the Iron Man or Indiana Jones movies.

As for home viewing, I only get to watch whatever I buy whenever I can and am inclined to do so. I don't always have the time or the wherewithal to sit down for a movie that isn't on cable, so the frequency is somewhere around once every two or three weeks or so for me.

post #15 of 81 Old 06-10-2013, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Pretty infrequently. I love seeing movies on the big screen but at the end of the day, I would rather watch them in the comfort f my own home.

post #16 of 81 Old 06-10-2013, 03:30 PM

Liked: 12
I don't have a stellar home theater setup by any means. Pretty cheap HTIB and midrange LCD TV, and I would still rather watch at home than go to the theater, minus going to see 3D/IMAX and those types of movies. Case in point, I went to see Iron Man 3 with my family because they love the theater and there was this group of thugs behind that wouldn't shut up. I turned around and told them to shut up 3 separate times and they never did. One even got a phone call and let it keep ringing because, as he said to his friend, he liked the song. They didn't whisper at all, just pure talking in full volume. They ruined the movie for everyone. That right there is why I hate the theater.
Five28 likes this.
post #17 of 81 Old 06-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

I voted 1-30% the last two movies I saw were Titanic 3D and Skyfall.. Before Titanic 3D I can't tell you the last movie I went to see before that.. I do know it was well before 2003....
post #18 of 81 Old 06-10-2013, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I love the theater, but it seems that so few are of good quality anymore. Our local theater has a couple of decent screens, but if the movie is playing on any of the others, you are better off staying home. I too, love my home theater; I'm very proud of it. It can be hard to get lost in a movie sometimes, with all the adjustments I tend to make on my setup - drives my wife nuts. If I can truly get immersed, I would take my home theater any day of the week, but still love the cinema experience when it's the right setup.....IMAX anyone?

fdsfds
post #19 of 81 Old 06-10-2013, 04:25 PM

Liked: 21
I have not been in a theater since 'Apocalypse Now' was first released.
What-ever year that was?

Never had cable or satellite.
Never rented a movie

If it ain't free it ain't for me.
post #20 of 81 Old 06-10-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 232
I quit going to movie theaters a long time ago.
post #21 of 81 Old 06-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I usually watch two or three movies a year on average in a theater. I'll probably see more this year since there seem to be a lot more sci-fi movies in the lineup. I saw Star Trek Into Darkness a couple weeks ago and will probably see Pacific Rim, Ender's Game, World War Z, and Elysium. I'll pass on all the Marvel and DC comics stuff this year and just buy the discs. I passed on Oblivion but will buy the disc.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #22 of 81 Old 06-10-2013, 05:25 PM

Liked: 13
I put myself in the 1-30% range. Mostly I go when chaperoning my kids. There are some nice theaters around here, and I can't remember the last time I heard someone on their cell phone during a movie.

Of course, I have a Popcorn Hour and media server at home, so I get kind of spoiled by having the movie start instantly. At the multiplex I have to sit through what seems like 5 minutes of ads for the concession stand and 30 minutes of trailers.

Lastly, I miss the bass in commercial theaters. Sometimes the volume and envelopment are correct, but I don't often feel the chair rattle during explosions like I do at home.

The last two pictures I saw (Iron Man 3 and Skyfall) were quite good in the PQ department.

Funny, I took my niece to see Quantum Of Solace in a commercial theater when it came out. She said "Uncle Marc, the picture is better in your home theater". It's comments like that that explain why I do what I do for my home theater.
post #23 of 81 Old 06-10-2013, 05:35 PM

Liked: 15
I saw the new Star Trek on opening day. I think that might be a first. I see maybe four a year in theater. I have nice HT setup. I like movies at home.

LG 55 LM7600, LG BP 620, Yamaha RX-V 677, Direct TV HR24-200, NHT Classic Ten sub, TwoC Center, NHT Classic Three's Mains, NHT IC2 surrounds.
post #24 of 81 Old 06-10-2013, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisrandomguy View Post

One even got a phone call and let it keep ringing because, as he said to his friend, he liked the song. They didn't whisper at all, just pure talking in full volume. They ruined the movie for everyone. That right there is why I hate the theater.

This is a huge reason why I never attend the theater. Although it may seem like they "just ruined" that movie, in reality for me they ruined an experience I've probably been waiting for over a period of a year or so.

Using your example, I've been excited about "Man of Steel" back when it was first green lit, and as time has progressed my excitement has increased with the casting, first photos, then the trailers, etc. The last thing I want to do is go opening day, after a year + of anticipation, only to have a single person ruin not only my first viewing of the movie, but bring to an end in a negative manner something I've been looking forward to experiencing for some time.

I'd rather wait a few months, get excited when the blu-ray shows up, sit down on my couch with a tasty beer, have the lights just right, fire it up and watch it with my wife. No thugs, no distractions, no annoyances. smile.gif

-JR
Five28 and Richard Perkins like this.
post #25 of 81 Old 06-10-2013, 06:29 PM

Liked: 10
I don't go to movie theaters anymore primarily due to cost. It is close to a $40 visit for me and my Fiance to go once we factor in our munchies. No thanks!. I will happily wait and watch it on my 60 inch HDTV and modest sound system within the privacy and comfort of my own home. If the price was more realistic I might go a few times a month but then you have other issues that pop up. All in all I find watching movies at home far more enjoyable, especially now that most people can assemble a half decent theater experience for far less then it use to cost even just 10 years ago. The movie going experience is pretty much dead to me.
post #26 of 81 Old 06-10-2013, 08:10 PM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Not only do I not go to the multiplex anymore, now some of our friends also refuse to see some movies in the cinema house if it is highly anticipated. They cite the same reasons as us, better picture at my house, better sound, cheaper evening out, pause if needed, no talking teens, better seats, and just as rewarding an evening, if not even more so.

I loathe to pay +$40 for a movie for two, and have someone ruin the night by munching like barn animal. Hell, don't start me on the cell phones...and that was during the last movie I saw "the incredibles", I can't imagine the cell phone use now!?!
post #27 of 81 Old 06-10-2013, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 258
I take my son to the theater. He deserves the same type of experience that I had as a kid as well. Our local theater does a great job with audio and video quality, and for the most part the people are well behaved.

Shortly we'll be taking our first trip together to the Cinerama in Seattle so he can see and hear one of the truly great cinema experiences in the country:

http://seattlecinerama.com/the-experience/

We love watching movies at home, but we also love going to the theater.

Looky here!
post #28 of 81 Old 06-11-2013, 01:06 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1040 Post(s)
Liked: 2194
I voted "never" because I swore off of movie theaters years ago. There have been a couple of exceptions, namely Avatar, Star Trek and Iron Man 3. With Avatar it was the sheer novelty that brought me to the theater. I recently screened IM3 in order to have a point of reference of what a modern 3-D IMAX presentation looks like.

For Star Trek, I have a "grandfather clause,"—long ago I committed to watching all Star Trek movies in the theater. I'm actually breaking that commitment with the latest installment.

I am confident that overall my attendance at movie theaters has been under 1% of the total that I have viewed for the last several years.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #29 of 81 Old 06-11-2013, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

The lower braket needed to be more like 1 to 5%. I rarely go, or care to go, but sometimes get roped in by friends. So less than 5% of the time for me, but not never.

Not long ago, my wife and I had plans to go see Great Gatsby and we talked ourselves out of it saying we can just wait to rent it and it'll be better.
You should have went, even the 3d was good.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #30 of 81 Old 06-11-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Let's go ahead and get this out there: If people stop going to movies in the theater we may not be able to watch them at home. Disc sales and rentals, cable distribution, etc. are all part of the revenue stream but those follow from the theatrical release, no?
Five28 and Reddig like this.

Closed Thread Community News & Polls

Tags
Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page