Home Theater of the Month: Popalock's "Bassment"—Big Screen, Bigger Subs - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #31 of 177 Old 08-03-2013, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Wow!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 177 Old 08-03-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 1309 Post(s)
Liked: 1813
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Great write up Mark!

Just now seeing the article. If any fellow AVSers happen to be in the DC area, please feel free to reach out if you are interested in a demo. This community has given so much to me, it's the least I could do in return.
imagic and abatsky like this.
post #33 of 177 Old 08-03-2013, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
That's awesome .. I had so much fun that I don't even mind that PaulyC got credit for being there instead of me (pauleyc) tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Thanks again Austin for letting us take a ride ....

post #34 of 177 Old 08-03-2013, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 372 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 961
Very cool write-up Mark and congratulations Austin for making it into the first HTotM.
post #35 of 177 Old 08-03-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Nice Write-up Mark and congratulations Popalock on building such a nice looking and sounding Home Theater!!!

There was some talk on the Klipsch Owners Thread about needing an external amp to drive Klipsch RF-7s efficiently, but I bet your Pioneer Elite SC-57 does the job just as well without having one.
post #36 of 177 Old 08-03-2013, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4783
Awesome! Wish I were closer to come over for an audition.

I'd like to see some better systems/proposals from the complainers....not high end, that one was funny.
post #37 of 177 Old 08-03-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Awesome! Wish I were closer to come over for an audition.

I'd like to see some better systems/proposals from the complainers....not high end, that one was funny.

Sorry, but the design of the system is so unbalanced for that room that I must say it's not really high-end. Not in the technical sense. If you actually tune that to a flat response, it would be a grand waste because just a few of those properly placed would tune up with those speakers and give great low end bass. While the man and boy in me admire the effort, the realist in me facepalms.
post #38 of 177 Old 08-03-2013, 09:05 PM

The concept of "high-end" from the poster with his overpriced Cary stuff was funny. Popalock put a lot more effort into this for the purpose of awesome bass, which is as high end as it comes in many ways. You can face-palm all you want. Unbalanced? That's funny. Tune up with speakers? Please explain just wtf that means.....
javi404 likes this.
post #39 of 177 Old 08-03-2013, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 198
I'm sure he meant a few subs would keep up with the klipsch no problems. But it's ok haters gonna hate. Jealousy is the word that comes to mind. Let us know when your home theater gets featured and we will drop by to bash on it instead of just congratulating you. This forum is full of extremely rude people.
mjaudio, Tasdom, javi404 and 1 others like this.
post #40 of 177 Old 08-04-2013, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Quoted: 6594 Post(s)
Liked: 11341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91 View Post

Sorry, but the design of the system is so unbalanced for that room that I must say it's not really high-end. Not in the technical sense. If you actually tune that to a flat response, it would be a grand waste because just a few of those properly placed would tune up with those speakers and give great low end bass. While the man and boy in me admire the effort, the realist in me facepalms.

If you have not seen or heard PL's system, how can you already have a firm opinion regarding the system's capabilities and relative value? Don't judge this book by its cover. Ultimately, the whole point of a system like this is to be able to tune flat to reference with zero strain, zero distortion... and then have the headroom to go where you want from there. The only relevant question is "how low can you go?" i.e. How much bass extension have you got? I get away with four 12" in my system, but I have ported my subs, so the cutoff is around 14Hz. What I experienced at the demo of this system was on a whole another level—and make no mistake, this is home theater not music. That kind of raw power can be used... all of it.

While your statement is correct—a pair of 18" subs would do for most people's needs—if you read my piece then it should be clear is that the capability of the system extends beyond the audible realm, deep into infrasound territory, and that some movies take advantage of this sort of capability. You won't find that sort of visceral impact in a movie theater, or in a typical "high-end" home theater.

I heard a rather nice Krell/Martin Logan system recently, and this system exceeded the Krell system's capabilities in some ways—with performance per dollar being off the charts. Sometimes, the term "high end" makes me giggle, because of all the pretentiousness that goes along with paying exorbitant prices in order to achieve some sort of symmetrical audio nirvana. Reproducing 8Hz at reference takes a whole lot of power and displacement—and if one were to pay "high-end" prices for capability like this it would cost far more to achieve this level of intensity.

Another thing I noticed—there were no measurable standing waves whatsoever. Bass response was consistent, no matter what one's position. With calibrated sound, and at modest volume, the quality of the bass was simply exceptional, because THD was so low.wink.gif

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum
post #41 of 177 Old 08-04-2013, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
that's got to be insane. I wish I could do something like that, but I don't have the space or money. the best part of audio is feeling it.
post #42 of 177 Old 08-04-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 511
congrats to Popalock

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #43 of 177 Old 08-04-2013, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Unreal some of the negative comments on this thread. A guy builds a fantastic home theater and shares it with us,

What did Mom used to tell us about if you don't have anything nice to say...

Congrats Popalock, I bet it is awesome watching a movie in your theater!

JTR Noesis 212HTR (LR)JTR 228 (Center and Surrounds)Seaton SubMersive HP Plus and Minus (Subs)Denon 3312 (Receiver)Sherbourn PA 7-350 (Amp)Oppo BDP-103 (BluRay Player) and Sharp 80" TV
post #44 of 177 Old 08-04-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I am glad all your research and hard work on this killer system resulted in the Home Theater of the Month! Congrats, well deserved.

To those facepalmers out there who don't think this is "High End" you really should experience a system like this before you judge, you are making ignorant comments.
post #45 of 177 Old 08-04-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Great review thanks for sharing biggrin.gif. That room looks amazing would love to hear it.

Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-904 L/C/R, Pro Cinema KPT-1201-T2 for sides and Heresy II for backs.
SVS PB13-Ultra, PB12-Plus x2, and Velodyne SMS-1 Sub EQ
SC-55 elite and B&K 200.7 S2
JVC RS-45 Projector, and Seymour CS 125” 2.35 screen
Oppo BDP-103 9 ATS Acoustic panels
post #46 of 177 Old 08-04-2013, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Great write up Mark!

Just now seeing the article. If any fellow AVSers happen to be in the DC area, please feel free to reach out if you are interested in a demo. This community has given so much to me, it's the least I could do in return.

Hi Austin! It was a pleasure meeting you at Andrew's GTG. Congrats on your system! Sounds killer! I'm putting you on my "new hero" list along with Andrew! LOL. From your screen name I thought you were a locksmith by trade. LOL. I see from your bio that's not true. Anyways, thanks to Mark also for the write-up. Always nice to hear about new systems and new reference material, BlackHawk Down and Flight of the Phoenix. Since I'm getting old and can't hear as well these days, I'm now interested in "feeling" the music instead, so this piece was very informative.
post #47 of 177 Old 08-04-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza View Post

Can your Klipsch speakers keep up with all those subwoofers? I had to upgrade my speakers because my 2 12's overpowered them.

Man, to be honest... The RF-7II's impress me more and more everyday. They can hang quite nicely on AVR power alone. I can't imagine any pair of 12's pulling sub duty being able to hang with what the RF-7's are capable of when crossed @ 80Hz.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #48 of 177 Old 08-04-2013, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Awesome and congrats on theater room of the month! I run RF-7's as my front three but sub wise I'm running 3 tiny little subs in comparison lol. I thought my dual Epik Empires and Paradigm Servo 15 were kicking out some bass - wow! Very impressive and motivating at the same time! You have thinking about the possibilities!
post #49 of 177 Old 08-04-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Great write up! Congrats Popalock!

JBL Pro Cinema-JTR subwoofers-Sony projection-Elite AT screen-Denon AVR-Oppo BD player-Acoustimac panels-SeatCraft HT seating
MANCHESTER UNITED!!
post #50 of 177 Old 08-04-2013, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 292 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4147 Post(s)
Liked: 3504
Quote:
Originally Posted by easycruise View Post

Hi Austin! It was a pleasure meeting you at Andrew's GTG. Congrats on your system! Sounds killer! I'm putting you on my "new hero" list along with Andrew! LOL. From your screen name I thought you were a locksmith by trade. LOL. I see from your bio that's not true. Anyways, thanks to Mark also for the write-up. Always nice to hear about new systems and new reference material, BlackHawk Down and Flight of the Phoenix. Since I'm getting old and can't hear as well these days, I'm now interested in "feeling" the music instead, so this piece was very informative.

Dave, you demo that setup, and every bone in your body will "feel it." At one point before PL updated his electrical my eyes were vibrating so hard I had trouble focusing on the screen. Then we popped a breaker. Now that the single 20a service has been upgraded, I don't know how much further PL can take it, but I don't know if I could have taken it in the first place (lies, read as lies). Austin and I both have had the chance to visit Stereo Integrity and listen to Nick's demo vehicle for Obsidian Audio (SI's car audio counterpart) and with the two 15's (maybe they were 18's) in a CRX was truly criminal what it was doing to me when Nick cranked it up...I bet we were near mid 140-ish dB's and it was just ridiculous.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #51 of 177 Old 08-04-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

I am glad all your research and hard work on this killer system resulted in the Home Theater of the Month! Congrats, well deserved.

To those facepalmers out there who don't think this is "High End" you really should experience a system like this before you judge, you are making ignorant comments.

+1

Congrats Austin!! smile.gif
post #52 of 177 Old 08-04-2013, 10:55 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Quoted: 5972 Post(s)
Liked: 5035
Just saw this.

Congrats man! The transformation your HT has gone through has been a ride to witness.

You also pulled off a sweet, avatar-worthy shot of the front end with a wall of bass. I love it! *thumbs up* cool.gif

Keep it going and bring on the AT screen. biggrin.gif
imagic likes this.
post #53 of 177 Old 08-05-2013, 01:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

So glad a DIY'er got the first HT of the month. Thanks for the write up and great exposure to our little DIY corner of the forum. Pop's sub build is very intense. My 4x12" is pathetic by comparison. This is the kind of theatre that really sets the commercial theatre several paces behind the enthusiast's.

Thanks Tux!

I had a guy come by my place this last weekend to give us a quote for installing some wood flooring in my den. He made a comment about being impressed with the dual opposed box I built for a pair of SI 15's. I just have it chilling as an end table in my den because I haven't gotten around to integrating it into my up stairs surround setup. Anyway, he sounded like he was really into music and mentioned that he used to play for a band, so I figured I'd show him what I had going on in my theater downstairs.

He told me that he's installed flooring in some insanely nice homes and really enjoys the opportunity give any home theater a listen. That's all I needed to hear...lol.

After we handled our business with the flooring, I cranked it for him. He told me that a guy up in Maryland gave him a demo of his HT a few months back and was all but bragging about dropping $300K on his HT gear. Then he went on to mention that the short demo I just gave him trumped that system in spades. Thought that was pretty funny and kinda sad at the same time, ya know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post

Nice setup would be an understatement... eek.gifbiggrin.gif

Hey Austin, have you had a chance to play the "Pulse - Control Room" clip? This movie even has a WARNING label regarding possible equipment damage.
It would be interesting on how it plays in your room. If you have a chance to play it please let us know.

Great room and HT write up.

Yes, I've heard the scene on my current setup! I actually made the mistake of forcing my wife and daughter to sit through the entire movie with me when it came on cable a few months back...just for that scene in particular.

I think I have the pulse scene on one of the three demo discs I have laying around. I need to give it another spin. Definitely one of my favorite scenes!
imagic and superleo like this.
post #54 of 177 Old 08-05-2013, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:

Great write up Mark!

I'm in Montgomery county and would take you up on it, but I'm too scared my eardrums would implode.
imagic likes this.
post #55 of 177 Old 08-05-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:

Man, to be honest... The RF-7II's impress me more and more everyday. They can hang quite nicely on AVR power alone. I can't imagine any pair of 12's pulling sub duty being able to hang with what the RF-7's are capable of when crossed @ 80Hz.

I REALLY like the RF-7II's and I'm glad you are enjoying them. Outside of DIY, when you think about what you can get them for- new and used- they are absolute value kings in my estimation.

James
imagic likes this.

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

Actual phone call (see pic to left):
 Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"
Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."
post #56 of 177 Old 08-05-2013, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 48
"High End". That term makes me laugh. You know what high end gets you ? Nicer cabinets. Its safe to assume that most "high end" setups would not out measure this setup in any way. SPL, distortion, frequency response, seat to seat consistency. This is true high end. Where you don't want to go to an IMAX theater for a movie because you don't want a sub par experience.
CruelInventions and imagic like this.
post #57 of 177 Old 08-05-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 1630
Very cool idea Mark (nice writeup) and congrats Austin. Bass impact like your system is capable of makes the HT expierence something special. The pretty theater rooms are nice to look at but when the lights go down, the picture and sound take over.

I'd love to hear your system sometime but being a left coaster it is unlikely.

Anxiety is contagious, please keep yours to yourself.
post #58 of 177 Old 08-05-2013, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Any idea on the SPL of the woofers with 1w?
post #59 of 177 Old 08-05-2013, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanc View Post

"High End". That term makes me laugh. You know what high end gets you ? Nicer cabinets. Its safe to assume that most "high end" setups would not out measure this setup in any way. SPL, distortion, frequency response, seat to seat consistency. This is true high end. Where you don't want to go to an IMAX theater for a movie because you don't want a sub par experience.
Don't get high end confused with over the top.
javi404 likes this.

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, OPPO BDP-103, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #60 of 177 Old 08-05-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanc View Post

Don't get high end confused with over the top.

Then there's the adage that one can never have too much bass smile.gif I'd gladly go over the top if I owned my own place...someday.
ellisr63 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Home Theater Of The Month

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page