Home Theater of the Month: Popalock's "Bassment"—Big Screen, Bigger Subs - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 176 Old 08-20-2013, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

Yeah--Popalock has helped alot of us in that regard. smile.gif "See Honey, it's not crazy to have 2,3 or 4 subs--If you want to see crazy, let me show you something."
j/k

Lol soooo true, showed the wife this thread and u know what she said....."I would like to meet his wife".
Thanks to Popalock I have the green light for an HT equipment upgrade smile.gif.
Congrats to a fellow local!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 176 Old 08-20-2013, 05:59 PM

Liked: 14
That's my kind of subwoofer now. I feel so inadequate now with my (4) 18 inch Obsidian drivers.tongue.gif

Congrats on such a massive bass system. Thanks for all the pics too.

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe, nowhere else could things be this screwed up.
post #153 of 176 Old 08-21-2013, 04:33 AM

Liked: 10
That's rather insane, yet I love it...and here I thought I was going to be a bad@$$ and save up for a new SVS PB13, lol.

So 2 questions)

1) Who is now deaf?

2) how many windows have you broken?

...I want to hear Pendulum on this system...
post #154 of 176 Old 08-21-2013, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antimon View Post

That's rather insane, yet I love it...and here I thought I was going to be a bad@$$ and save up for a new SVS PB13, lol.

So 2 questions)

1) Who is now deaf?

2) how many windows have you broken?

...I want to hear Pendulum on this system...

1) No reported deaths as of this date. On occasion, I do feel as though I am developing an early onset of tinnitus in my right ear.

2) 0 windows broken. However, other damage has occurred.

...The Temptest, Hold Your Color and Witchcraft are always at the top of my playlist...Love them!
tongue.gif

post #155 of 176 Old 08-21-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 206
More drivers=less distortion=higher fi!

1+1=2!
post #156 of 176 Old 08-22-2013, 01:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post

Then there are "beer budget" sound systems...

Not mine, but -

These are folded horn subs, with split folded horn midrange speakers stacked on top.
The owner / builder waits for SWMBO to leave, before he cranks them up above "1".
Known to destroy unrestrained crockery.

Nice! I one day plan to build a few sets of Bill's DR250's as I've heard nothing but good things about all of Bill's designs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmansound View Post

I am considered the most outrageous HT guy in my group of friends/family, but I have nothing close to this!!
Just amazingly awesome!

Every family seems to have at least one of us. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmfer View Post

Lol nice room. Now let see a video or pic of pong on an old atari hooked up to that just for shots and giggles.

I wish! Would be epic. Don't have any classic pieces of kit lying around at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageless83 View Post

Lol soooo true, showed the wife this thread and u know what she said....."I would like to meet his wife".
Thanks to Popalock I have the green light for an HT equipment upgrade smile.gif.
Congrats to a fellow local!!!

Local? Where you at? Bring it man. Did a demo last weekend for a local AVSer. Shoot me a PM if you want to come check it out sometime. I always encourage people that want to stop by for a demo to bring their wives. What way they can drink wine and talk about how much they hate our hobby while we have a rock out session down stairs. Usually works out perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16hz lover View Post

That's my kind of subwoofer now. I feel so inadequate now with my (4) 18 inch Obsidian drivers.tongue.gif

Congrats on such a massive bass system. Thanks for all the pics too.

C'mon man! 4 18's is over the top for 99% of the population. Case in point, I just helped a friend hook up a soundbar with a wireless sub last night. That's the norm for most people...haha. You're doing it right.

post #157 of 176 Old 08-26-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

FYI.

For anyone interested in a potential DIY project, Stereo Integrity is giving away one of their new 24" subs to help raise money for Multiple Sclerosis research.

More info can be found here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1486885/si-24-sub-giveaway-fundraiser-for-the-national-ms-society/0_100#post_23668449

Just want to bring more attention to this great cause.

post #158 of 176 Old 08-26-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

FYI.

For anyone interested in a potential DIY project, Stereo Integrity is giving away one of their new 24" subs to help raise money for Multiple Sclerosis research.

More info can be found here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1486885/si-24-sub-giveaway-fundraiser-for-the-national-ms-society/0_100#post_23668449

Just want to bring more attention to this great cause.

Dang! Just explored their fb and video of that thing in action! Any idea what they will run? Man, the "bigger woofer is slower" theologians are gonna eat this one alive!
post #159 of 176 Old 08-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
post #160 of 176 Old 08-27-2013, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Im happy for him,as long he's happy with,that's all it matter.
post #161 of 176 Old 08-29-2013, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Excellent home theater and system., Question? You mentioned your screen was 16x9, i would like to know the actual WxH of your screen. How do you handle the different program displays 2:35.1.85, etc without black bar's? I am looking to buy a new fixed screen but my projector displays a minumum of 122x77 on a flat white wall. For now my projector is a Mits EW-270U with a great picture. My room is 18x14.5. Most of my movie viewing are Bluray's 2:35 but with a fixed screen everything else will overlap I'm sure. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I don't mind the plain wall it works, but my wife wants a fixed screen to make it look like a dedicated HT, not just a plain wall when it is not being used.
post #162 of 176 Old 09-02-2013, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFree View Post

Excellent home theater and system., Question? You mentioned your screen was 16x9, i would like to know the actual WxH of your screen. How do you handle the different program displays 2:35.1.85, etc without black bar's? I am looking to buy a new fixed screen but my projector displays a minumum of 122x77 on a flat white wall. For now my projector is a Mits EW-270U with a great picture. My room is 18x14.5. Most of my movie viewing are Bluray's 2:35 but with a fixed screen everything else will overlap I'm sure. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I don't mind the plain wall it works, but my wife wants a fixed screen to make it look like a dedicated HT, not just a plain wall when it is not being used.

Thanks Bill.

My screen, the FVHD110, is 117"W x 69"H. That includes the 3 1/2" frame. What that said, the "viewable area" of the screen is 110"W x 62"H.

I actually moved from a 2.35:1 (Scope Screen) to a 16:9 aspect ratio because the bulk of the content that I watch (Sports, Cable, a lot of movies even...) is in that format. I personally find the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen easier to deal with than the large black bars on the sides of the screens.

I believe the owner of Falcon Screens, Rich (snickers1), is working on developing some masking panels for his screens. I might hang around to see what he comes up with, or I might fabricate my own down the road.

FYI. I don't have any experience with utilizing an anamorphic lens as my current projector, Panasonic AE-7000U, has auto lens shift.

post #163 of 176 Old 09-02-2013, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Well guys. It's been a great August! Thanks for everyone's comments and I am really excited with Mark (imagic) and the AVS crew have up their sleeves for September's HT of the month.

post #164 of 176 Old 09-23-2013, 02:23 AM
AVS Special Member

For those interested, I recently had a chance to frame out the AT Screen, throw the L/C/R behind the screen and take some measurements. Here are the results...

No Screen:

No Screen vs Screen:

Here is the "no screen" response and the response after a quick EQ adjustment:

Just like the screen isn't even there... Very very pleased with the results!

Here are all graphs combined for reference:
[/quote]

This screen is awesome. No complaints anywhere. Well, I take that back. This screen is quite a bit more heavy that my last screen, which makes it almost impossible to manipulate by myself. Hence one of the reasons in delay of getting these measurements posted...I had to bug the wifey to come down to help me!

tongue.gif

post #165 of 176 Old 09-24-2013, 08:27 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 508

That is a pretty good testimonial for Woven acoustically transparent screens and Falcon screens in this particular case!
post #166 of 176 Old 09-25-2013, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

That is a pretty good testimonial for Woven acoustically transparent screens and Falcon screens in this particular case!

+1

I've seen before and after measurements in the past, but I do not recall anyone posting up a measurement after EQ'ing back to the original to the pre-measured response.

Nice to know that a few tweaks can literally put you right back to where you were before placing your gear behind the screen.

IMO, this objective data nullifies any concern people may have in regards to an AT screen adversly effecting "sound quality."

This is the first AT screen that I have owned, so I have not had the opportunity to measure any other AT screens, but if frequency response can easily (+/-3db) be EQ'd back to the orignal curve, I feel it makes response less of a concern when making your purchasing decision.

I'd buy this screen again without question.

post #167 of 176 Old 09-25-2013, 11:46 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:

+1

I've seen before and after measurements in the past, but I do not recall anyone posting up a measurement after EQ'ing back to the original to the pre-measured response.

Nice to know that a few tweaks can literally put you right back to where you were before placing your gear behind the screen.

IMO, this objective data nullifies any concern people may have in regards to an AT screen adversly effecting "sound quality."

This is the first AT screen that I have owned, so I have not had the opportunity to measure any other AT screens, but if frequency response can easily (+/-3db) be EQ'd back to the orignal curve, I feel it makes response less of a concern when making your purchasing decision.

I'd buy this screen again without question.

Yup.

Austin has seen the light and gone AT. Good man. smile.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #168 of 176 Old 01-21-2014, 11:22 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerTech0903 View Post

If you have more subs only so each one works less why would you need 18,000 watts? I don't buy for a second this system is flat. 18,000 watts for sub's and 1000 for your other speakers that's ridiculous. 18000 watts is more then a multiplex cinema with all the screens combined. Either way at a certain point you just like the feeling of low notes not the accuracy of your system like kids at a car SPL competition. Either way enjoy your system.

Im assuming you've never attended an SPL meet? Alma Gates would approve of this HT!

If I lived closer I would without a doubt drop by and demo this. I remember when SI made car audio subwoofers, I almost bought one of their Magnum 15's..

I think when it comes time to do my surround sound, Instead of running the 6.5'' powered subwoofer I might just go crazy and buy a 10" or 12"!! For sad lol

post #169 of 176 Old 01-22-2014, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Question about this build:

The subwoofers are setup in a line array so did they end up filling in all the nulls in bass response or was it necessary to do any other subs besides the ones at the front of the room. Was much EQ required to tame any major peaks in response?

Did you use electronic crossover in the pioneer or any other outboard crossovers with this build?

Is there anywhere else more "hidden" you could place the subwoofers if you wanted to and get the same effect?

Is your house close to any other houses? (I would assume not... Lol)

What kind of internal bracing was needed to hold those massive drivers inside of the boxes?

Is each sub in its own box or is the "stage" just one huge box. Is this all a sealed or ported system or infinite baffle?

Blazar!
post #170 of 176 Old 02-01-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Blazar,

My apologies for not getting back to you earlier. Answers to your questions are embedded below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

Question about this build:

The subwoofers are setup in a line array so did they end up filling in all the nulls in bass response...

Having so many drivers across the front/rear stage does a great job of addressing room nulls. I do notice a null if I stand up from the MLP, but as soon as I sit back down everything is perfect.

...or was it necessary to do any other subs besides the ones at the front of the room.

I have eight (8) subs in the rear of my room, right behind my theater seats.

Was much EQ required to tame any major peaks in response?

If I didn't have my miniDSP, my bass response would be HORRIBLE! I had a huge peak around 32Hz that I had to tame about 10db IIRC.

Did you use electronic crossover in the pioneer or any other outboard crossovers with this build?

Yes, external DSP is a necessity for anyone attempting a significant bass setup. There are several very capable product on the market that can accommodate.

Is there anywhere else more "hidden" you could place the subwoofers if you wanted to and get the same effect?

When I built the boxes originally, I didn't take into account that I would eventually be going for an acoustically transparent screen. If I would have taken this into account, I would have built my boxes a bit differently, so I could have had all 16 up front behind the screen. Then I would have put my LCR between the boxes and fabricated a baffle with no gaps to ensure all speakers were on the same plane to help address SIBR (still learning a lot about the subject myself, so I can't get into much more detail). Any who, taking the approach that I outlined above and framing out an AT screen wall in front of all of the subs would hide everything nicely.

Is your house close to any other houses? (I would assume not... Lol)

Yes, I have a house on each side of me, about 20ft separates us.

What kind of internal bracing was needed to hold those massive drivers inside of the boxes?

I wouldn't call these particular drivers "massive." Especially considering that I moved from the LMS-U to these. They weigh about 35lbs a piece IIRC. I have minimal bracing in the box. When the boxes are laid horizontally (per the original pic in the first post) I have witnessed them physically move during spirited playback. However, in their current configuration (vertical), they do not move. Yes, I could have braced them more, but I wasn't too worried about it. Any potential performance gain realized from adding a crazy amount of bracing or dampening the boxes to an extreme degree was lower on my priority list since I wanted to make sure I could manipulate/move these boxes by myself if I needed too.

Is each sub in its own box or is the "stage" just one huge box.

I have four (4) subs per box. Each box has two (2) chambers with two (2) subs per chamber.

Is this all a sealed or ported system or infinite baffle?

All sealed...currently.

post #171 of 176 Old 03-30-2014, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

great, thanks for answering all the questions!

One other thing, with the cabinets as-is, did you find that the cabinets themselves rattle or cause any trouble?

Would you do this any differently if you had to do it again?

Blazar!
post #172 of 176 Old 03-31-2014, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

great, thanks for answering all the questions!

One other thing, with the cabinets as-is, did you find that the cabinets themselves rattle or cause any trouble?

Would you do this any differently if you had to do it again?

The cabinets that I built are properly sealed and do not rattle at all. I have had instances where the boxes would physically shift because they do not have feet. In some cases, if they shift and touch the wall, I would hear rattling from the cabinet(s) bouncing off of the wall.

To answer your other question... I kind of inherited my space vs. having a blank canvas to mold into what I wanted.

With that said, I can’t say I would do things differently in this current space, but when we move to our next home, I will definitely do a few things differently.

In my current space, it’s apparent that I took the “more is more” approach and literally threw as much displacement as one wife could possibly stand for within such a small space. In my next space, I plan to focus primarily on the acoustical design aspect to ensure I am maximizing use of my available equipment. Take, for instance, @FoLLgoTT’s theater build. Here is a quick pic:

74e726d1__MG_0093_klein.jpeg

His design is based on the Single Bass Array (SBA) concept. I'd like to take his approach in my next space. Either the SBA or theDouble Bass Array concept. There is a very interesting thread on the the DBA concept here. It’s a pretty technical read, but the basic concept is easy to grasp and should not be very hard to implement if starting a theater space from scratch. I still have a lot to learn on the subject myself, so I may not be the best person to answer very technical questions about proper implementation, but from what all I have read, the acoustical benefits of taking such an approach are tremendous!
Scott Simonian likes this.

post #173 of 176 Old 03-31-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Cool, thanks for the info, the array looks like a great strategy if you can get drivers at a reasonable price

Blazar!
post #174 of 176 Old 03-31-2014, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 75
Quote:

His design is based on the Double Bass Array concept and there is a very interesting thread on the topic here.

Thanks for linking to my thread. smile.gif

Small correction: my design is a Single Bass Array in combination with a big absorber on the rear wall. This reduces the cost in comparison to a DBA. The absorber is described here.
post #175 of 176 Old 04-01-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoLLgoTT View Post

Thanks for linking to my thread. smile.gif

Small correction: my design is a Single Bass Array in combination with a big absorber on the rear wall. This reduces the cost in comparison to a DBA. The absorber is described here.

thanks for the correction FoLLgoTT. I edited my post above. Truly inspiring work sir!

post #176 of 176 Old 05-02-2014, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Looking back at the 1st page photos of this awesome theater there are 2 simple things I would change

1- turn the Klipsch rf7's upside down. This will put the horn on plane with the center channel to align the sound better.

2- there is glare/shine front the screen on the ceiling so it would either paint the ceiling black or install some 4x8 acoustic fabric panels on the ceiling above the screen out towards the audience.

Mikes Stuff
McIntosh MC207 Amps.........................DarbyVision Darblet
Marantz AV8801 Processor.................Da-Lite Screen
Klipsch Reference Series 7.2................Panasonic BluRay BDT500
Epson Pro 6010 Projector.....................Sony Playstation used for SACD and BluRay
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Home Theater Of The Month

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page