Home Theater of the Month: Popalock's "Bassment"—Big Screen, Bigger Subs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1 of 176 Old 08-01-2013, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1040 Post(s)
Liked: 2194
A couple of years ago, I fell into a dangerous addiction. At the time, I had a Polk PSW110 subwoofer, which I had purchased from Best Buy. I knew very little about subwoofers, and I thought the 10" Polk sounded good, but every now and then I craved a more tactile experience—I wanted bass I could feel. The main problem was my budget; I was not in a position to spend lavishly on a new sub, but I knew I wanted something much better than what I had. One day, as an experiment, I opened up the Polk and wired a pro amp (Crown XTi-1000) directly to the driver. The result was profoundly better sounding; from that point onward, I knew that I would have to learn more about subwoofers.

That impulse led me to the AVS DIY Speakers and Subs forum. AVS was already my go-to source for DIY screens and projectors, and I was thrilled to find a large community of DIY subwoofer enthusiasts. Since I already owned a decent amplifier, I decided to learn more about passive subwoofer designs. There is a lot to learn, but subwoofer design is easier than ever, thanks to software tools that aid in designing the right enclosure. After hanging around in that forum for a while, I started to notice some characters—bass addicts, if you will. These enthusiasts are willing to go far beyond what most people would consider reasonable in the name of low-frequency transduction.

Take AVS member Austin, aka popalock. I watched in amazement as he upgraded from twin LMS-Ultra 18" subwoofers ($1000 each just for the drivers) to his current DIY arrangement, an 18,000-watt beast with sixteen 18" drivers. That amount of power and displacement is on par with what one finds in a medium-sized digital IMAX auditorium. Austin posted an excellent build thread, which is well worth a look.

Once I saw pictures of popalock's system, I realized it was something I had to experience in person. Putting that much power into such a small space results in a completely different level of bass pressure, as anyone who has ever been into car audio—and especially SPL competitions—can attest.

Popalock's profile photo: The Klipsch RF-7 II towers are big, but they look tiny here

One of the many aspects of DIY subwoofer building that I find fascinating is the large selection of design and configuration options. Dipole, infinite baffle, ported, T-line, sealed, horns, dual-opposed—there are so many subwoofer types to choose from. Austin decided pursue maximum displacement in the least amount of space. He chose the most direct route: employing multiple sealed subs, and feeding them a lot of power.

When I recently approached Austin about demoing his system, he mentioned that he was about to have a new screen installed by Rich, aka snickers1 on AVS. Rich is the owner of falconscreens.com, a company specializing in high quality—yet affordably priced—acoustically transparent screens. Austin suggested that I coordinate my visit with the installation of his new screen. We made the arrangements, and on Saturday, July 13, I had my opportunity to experience some of the most intense bass reproduction I have ever heard and/or felt. Adding to the fun, AVS members pauleyc and NathanJ were on hand to help with the install and witness the demo.

With that much power on tap and that much driver displacement, it becomes possible to reproduce frequencies that are outside the musical and audible spectrum, and to do so at tremendous volume levels. These ultra-low sound waves—called infrasound—are technically inaudible, but easily felt. In modern movies, the LFE track sometimes utilizes infrasound, usually to excite—or scare—the audience. Once the movie demo got rolling, it became clear what a unique experience it is to hear and feel so much audio power in such a small space.

I want to take a moment to discuss the actual subwoofers, since they were the star of the show. The drivers came from an independent distributor called Stereo Integrity. Enthusiasts on the AVS DIY Speakers and Subs forum tout the 18-inchers popalock used for their great price/performance ratio. At $190 per unit, the Stereo Integrity HT 18" driver is relatively affordable for such a large and powerful driver—and the design is claimed to be specifically tailored for home-theater applications. Bass management was handled by a MiniDSP 10x10HD.

9000 Watts of Sub power behind the seats...

...and 9000 Watts of Sub power in front.

The goal of the extreme-bass lovers in the DIY forum often includes achieving beyond reference-level bass, all the way down to single-digit hertz. Austin's system has that capacity, and as a result, the demo was an eye (and ear) opening experience.

Before discussing the demo, I want to mention the screen installation I witnessed during my visit. I timed my arrival to coincide with the installation of a new 16:9, acoustically transparent screen, the Falcon Vision HD. From unpack to hanging, the entire process took about half an hour, minus a few brief breaks to take pictures of the process. I was impressed with the quality of the frame—I had a chance to give it a good shake; it felt like a single, rigid, and solid piece of thick aluminum. The black velvet was in perfect condition—not a spot of velvet "crush." The fabric screen unrolled and stretched onto the frame with ease, and before I knew it, we were in the theater, hanging and centering the new screen on the wall.

The screen was assembled on-site. The kit even included a tarp.

The screen material was stretched onto the rigid aluminum frame.

Very nice indeed!

The screen is acoustically transparent fabric with a gain of 1.1, but popalock's theater was not ready to install the center speaker behind the screen. We decided to demo the new screen with a phantom center channel instead. Prior to the demo, we spent a few minutes scrutinizing the weave in the fabric, concluding that from any distance six feet back or farther, it was impossible to see the fabric's weave. The main viewing position was ten feet back—from a ten-foot-wide screen—so the perforation and weave was invisible.

"Hanging the new screen"—this picture gives a good sense of scale.

The screen itself looked great—the size was an upgrade for Austin—the material really made colors "pop," and everything was nice and sharp. The Panasonic PT-AE7000U projector proved up to the task of filling the screen with sharp, colorful, contrasty images. Nathan noted there was no hint of moiré, which we all agreed with. A demo of a scene from Avatar displayed all the sharpness and saturation I would hope to see from a Blu-ray. It is the first time I have watched an extended cinematic-quality clip from Avatar in 2D (as opposed to 3D), and it looked great.

Avatar looked great in 2D, on the new screen

Powered directly by a Pioneer Elite SC-57 AVR, the 4.1 configuration had dynamic range to spare and pulled off visceral displays of raw power—crucial when so much bass power is on tap. It is a good thing Klipsch makes relatively efficient speakers; the SC-57 is a stout receiver, but some of the peak levels we achieved that evening were off the chart. The main front speakers—a pair of Klipsch RF-7 IIs—played the part of monstrous satellites, crossed over at 80Hz despite nothing about them being "small," while a pair of Klipsch RS-62s handled the surround sound duties with aplomb.

Two clips in the demo really stood out in terms of bass—a legendary pulse of ultra-low energy during a scene in Black Hawk Down that fans refer to by the key line: "f***ing Irene!" The resulting bass pulse emulates the effect of standing under the blades of a Blackhawk helicopter preparing for takeoff. I gathered that Austin has actually experienced this in real life, while most people have not. I've flown in a few helicopters myself (although not in a Blackhawk), and I can vouch that the feeling of being near those spinning blades was tangible—the thump was accurately reproduced by Austin's system. When combined with the new screen, which filled one's vision, the effect was more than immersive, it was like a simulation.

Watching the demo, from left to right: NathanJ, snickers1, popalock, and PauleyC

Whereas the Irene scene was a very specific emulation—standing under the blades of a chopper—the crash scene from "Flight of the Phoenix" was a considerably more complex example of how massive amounts of bass can alter the viewer's experience. This was the piece-de-resistance, one of the truly great subwoofer demos—ever. Thuds, creaks, churns, and explosions felt utterly real. My eyes were suddenly diverted from the screen by the spectacle of eight 18" subwoofers moving in unison, with over an inch of total excursion; the cones looked as if they were going to pop right out of those boxes. Eyes back to the screen, and a huge groaning shudder took over everything—if not for the total suspension of disbelief this created, I might have noticed that the 100-pound Klipsch RF-7 IIs were hopping around, that the house itself was shuddering as if in an earthquake. In effect, Austin's 18,000-watt subwoofer system brought the disaster scene to life, made it tangible.

We watched a few more clips—the ease with which the system handles the booms and bangs of modern movies is sublime—but those two scenes really left an impression. Due to the length of my ride home—Austin is in the D.C. area, and I live in Philly—I had to depart sooner than I would have preferred. It would have been nice to enjoy a full movie on that uniquely capable, gloriously powerful system. Nathan agreed, calling it "pure bass indulgence."

The next day, I asked Rich about his impressions in an AVS private message. His response: "I may not be someone that is very well versed in the world of insane bass, but I must say after hearing/feeling Austin's impressive setup, I realized that my theater is missing something. Austin started his demo with that scene from Black Hawk Down, and I felt so out place when everyone else kept chanting "Irene...Irene," all I could say when the helicopter fired up was WOW!

That is exactly how I felt as well, and I believe it is how everyone else who witnessed the demo felt: Genuinely wowed. Bravo, popalock!

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 176 Old 08-01-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 857

To all AVS members: If you'd like us to consider your home theater for Home Theater of the Month, PM me with some photos or send me a link to your photo album in the galleries. I know there are plenty of great theaters out there, and I want to feature them right here on AVS Forum!

ellisr63 and Jamo8 like this.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #3 of 176 Old 08-01-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Awesome write up Mark!!!

What amp is driving them?

What was the total cost of this behemoth?
post #4 of 176 Old 08-01-2013, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post

Awesome write up Mark!!!

What amp is driving them?

What was the total cost of this behemoth?

The amps are a pair of the rather controversial/infamous but admittedly powerful Sanway "LG FP14000" Clones.

Here is the complete equipment list, not sure what the grand total would be.

AVR: Pioneer Elite SC-57
Center: Klipsch RC-64
Left/Right: Klipsch RF-7II
Rear Surround(s): Klipsch RS-62
Subwoofer(s): DIY Stereo Integrity 18" x 16
Sub Amp(s): LG FP14000 Clones x 2
Speaker Wire: 10AWG
Digital Sound Processor: MiniDSP 10x10HD for Sub Equalization
Projector: Panasonic PTAE7000U
Video Enhancer: Darbee Darblet
HDMI Cables: Monoprice High Speed 24AWG

post #5 of 176 Old 08-01-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 655
My bass brother and a buddy to boot takes the cake for the first HT of the month!?!?! Great job bud! Looks like I need to add 8 more SI's to be considered at this point eh? Great write-up DK, enjoyed the read, but enjoyed the room when I visited THAT much more. Even though the smaller theater "area" opens to the rest of the basement, the visceral impact is as if you were in an automobile, the the nearfield subs really just kick you right in the guts. It is not for the faint of heart, which I certainly am not biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif What a great time!
imagic likes this.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #6 of 176 Old 08-01-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 509
So glad a DIY'er got the first HT of the month. Thanks for the write up and great exposure to our little DIY corner of the forum. Pop's sub build is very intense. My 4x12" is pathetic by comparison. This is the kind of theatre that really sets the commercial theatre several paces behind the enthusiast's.
djgill likes this.
post #7 of 176 Old 08-01-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 205
That is just so much craziness that it would be AWESOME to experience it. Is he married? No way my wife would approve of that setup. LOL. Seems like way, WAY too much power for that sized room, but again, I bet the response in the room is outstanding.

I think that is the first subwoofer array that I've seen that serves as a front stage too. smile.gif
djgill likes this.
post #8 of 176 Old 08-01-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Nice Austin!!! You're friggin famous now! biggrin.gif
gw742296 likes this.
post #9 of 176 Old 08-01-2013, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 265
awesome dude. im really gonna have to make the trip down to check it out.

and Yes he is married
gw742296 likes this.
post #10 of 176 Old 08-01-2013, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
eek.gif That is absolutely awesome!

Does it get any better than that!?!?
post #11 of 176 Old 08-01-2013, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Can your Klipsch speakers keep up with all those subwoofers? I had to upgrade my speakers because my 2 12's overpowered them.

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #12 of 176 Old 08-01-2013, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
"Video Enhancer: Darbee Darblet"

For all the talk of feeling immersed in the scene, the guy "enhances" his video rather than having it reference as intended for true immersion. It's sad that a properly calibrated home theatre was not chosen as home theatre of the month.
Charlie Kocis and mo949 like this.
post #13 of 176 Old 08-01-2013, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 37
great write up! amazing theater, war of the worlds must sound mind blowing in there!! Congrats Austin!
post #14 of 176 Old 08-01-2013, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect View Post

For all the talk of feeling immersed in the scene, the guy "enhances" his video rather than having it reference as intended for true immersion. It's sad that a properly calibrated home theatre was not chosen as home theatre of the month.
hater! I think they were more worried about the subs and the extreme wow factor that it would give you. lets keep it positive! nice job on the build. I'm getting ready to start with a 1/4 of what you have lol.
post #15 of 176 Old 08-01-2013, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappydue View Post

hater! I think they were more worried about the subs and the extreme wow factor that it would give you. lets keep it positive! nice job on the build. I'm getting ready to start with a 1/4 of what you have lol.

+1

I was looking for a thumbs down button after reading that rude post and then I remembered there isn't one... maybe there should be.
ellisr63, stormwind13 and Bukley like this.
post #16 of 176 Old 08-02-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:

How do you know his system wasn't calibrated using a darblet? The two aren't mutually exclusive.
Bukley likes this.
post #17 of 176 Old 08-02-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 232
All I can say is............DAMN!!!!! That's one heck of a setup. biggrin.gif
post #18 of 176 Old 08-02-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Quote:

Send your pics in to be nominated then! Maybe you can be next. You want to talk about calibration? I don't know how many hours (days) PL spent down there getting the sound to his liking, but it wasn't just a plug and go situation. He even has 4 different target curves programmed into his remote depending on what type of sound he is aiming for. The Darblet for $250 is really a piece of work too. A good compromise for those who choose to focus on areas of the theater OTHER than a perfect color palette.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #19 of 176 Old 08-02-2013, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

FYI we spent a fair bit of time cycling through the sharpening options on the Darblet. I agree there is no real need for it with pristine 1080p Blu-ray source material, but that doesn't accurately describe everything out there.

For some material, I found light sharpening did look better than no sharpening. The moment artifacts are introduced, it goes from improvement to destructive. But, the Darblet did not have any effect on the color or contrast of the video—so I don't see how it's related to calibration.

When it's not needed, the Darblet should be turned off—but when it was used, I felt it did a good job, so long as the effect was matched to the source, which is made rather easy thanks to the way the device splits the screen and allows the user to dial-in the right amount of sharpening.
Anodyne likes this.

post #20 of 176 Old 08-02-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Nice setup would be an understatement... eek.gifbiggrin.gif

Hey Austin, have you had a chance to play the "Pulse - Control Room" clip? This movie even has a WARNING label regarding possible equipment damage.
It would be interesting on how it plays in your room. If you have a chance to play it please let us know.

Great room and HT write up.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

post #21 of 176 Old 08-02-2013, 08:39 AM

Liked: 46
I'm really enjoying this article versus the old CEpro articles. Bang for the Buck should be the common theme, where the owners have put in their own work to get good results.

Good job PL ! And good job AVS for covering an INTERESTING setup!
beastaudio likes this.
post #22 of 176 Old 08-02-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

'

How is the Darbee preventing him from having true immerison? Immersion has nothing to do with a calibrated or non calibrated display.
post #23 of 176 Old 08-02-2013, 11:48 AM

Liked: 10
Amazing build. That's a true "Bassment."
post #24 of 176 Old 08-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 68
Teenage dream.

Would be interesting to contrast with a system comprised of hi-end audio components.

HT 3.1: Panny BDT 220 | 60" Panny VT60 | Marantz AV7005 | Focal CMS50 (L/R), CMS40 & CMS Sub

Stereo system: Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
post #25 of 176 Old 08-02-2013, 12:26 PM

Liked: 20

Very nice setup,

but i wonder if the owner has room to put a acoustical transparent screen and put the speakers behind it,it would look more "Less Clutter". Overall, it must sound awesome. :)

Hsu Research HB-1 MK2
Hsu Research Hc-1 MK2
Hsu Research VTF3 mk4 12" subwoofer
JBL Surrounds ES 20's
post #26 of 176 Old 08-02-2013, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcGeek626 View Post

Very nice setup,
but i wonder if the owner has room to put a acoustical transparent screen and put the speakers behind it,it would look more "Less Clutter". Overall, it must sound awesome. smile.gif

I think that's the plan. The new screen is AT, but the wall needs to be modified to help fit the speakers, or perhaps new speakers are needed. But, the new screen anticipates that upgrade, and I believe Austin has plans to follow through with it.

post #27 of 176 Old 08-02-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:

It's quite easy to calibrate the system with the Darbee in bypass and use the Darbee as needed. That's what I imagine most people do.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #28 of 176 Old 08-02-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Three things.
1. Very rude comment by the member who didn't think the "right" theater was selected.
2. WOW....I have 4 SI 18's and I think I am getting overwhelmed at times in a smaller area. Great room!
3. I vote for Brandon's(Beast audio) setup. It blew me away.
post #29 of 176 Old 08-02-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 320
YES!!

I've got to make another trip down there again soon man. biggrin.gif

DIY FTW! I love the fact that there is nothing off the shelf available quite like this setup. biggrin.gif
post #30 of 176 Old 08-03-2013, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
kudos to popalocks wife
chirpie, quamosa, Anodyne and 3 others like this.
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Home Theater Of The Month

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page