Which Game Platform(s) Do You Use? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which Game Platform(s) Do You Use?
Microsoft Xbox 360 482 25.22%
Nintendo Wii 243 12.72%
Nintendo Wii U 89 4.66%
Sony PlayStation 3 621 32.50%
PC 478 25.01%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1911. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Still haven't quite figured out a decent setup for mouse/kb on a couch

Your search is over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaKats View Post

I loved the first F.E.A.R. That was on of the last games I ran competition for back in the day.

That was a revolutionary game--the GeForce 7X00 series ushered that generation in.  The sequels were released on consoles, but pale in comparison.

Although I own a PS3, 360, and gaming PC--I find the 360 getting the most use...primarily due to the end of the hardware races from the Crysis days. I see PS3 is ahead in this poll though--Sony made a great bet with blu ray. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I've been playing games on a PC since the first Wolfenstein and Doom games were released. I'm mostly into single player FPS games but have played some RTS in the past. Played MechWarrior in a league online for a year and a half too. To this day nothing beats a keyboard and mouse for control. For driving games a steering wheel and pedals are a must for the most enjoyment.

I've tried playing HALO on a friends console before but I just can't stand the controllers. They may be OK for some types of games but overall I hate them for what I play.

I have tried hooking the computer to the TV, playing with a wireless mouse and keyboard, but to tell you the truth I found it more hassle than fun. A good, large desktop monitor looks just as big when you're only 2 ft. away from it.

Oh yeah, I still have the Pentium 60 computer I played Wolfenstein and Doom on. Still have the original Doom and Duke Nukem' PC games too.

post #33 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Seeing as I don't have the money to build a PC gaming rig to my specs, I have to settle with the PS3 and 360. The PS3 mainly for blu-ray movies though. tongue.gif
post #34 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I love playing on my PC with a 28 inch monitor, but there is something about being able to relax on the couch and saw aliens in half on Gears for the 360. I intend to skip the next gen console for a new gaming PC unless of coarse the XBOX One gets some very enticing exclusives...

post #35 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Xbox 360 for me. I am building a machine and will try PC gaming once it is done.
post #36 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 11:14 PM

Liked: 16
PC gamer.
post #37 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 11:18 PM

@bd2003

In regards to your PC question I play on a monitor, projector and sometimes using the Sony HMZT head display.(cant wait for Occulus Rift, Virtuix Omni etc..)

I use all the consoles and PC/iMac to several displays using a 4x4 HDMI matrix.

Incidently I also use my iPad and Android to play games using on to the big screen as well sometimes:)

I'm a game enthusiast as much as an AV enthusiast.

I really hope AVS game reviews put a lot of focus on sound and video, what formats goes well with said type of games, receivers, speakers, settings etc..

I get my general gaming reviews from gaming sites but I think AVS can really be the place to help push games become even more immersive.
post #38 of 218 Old 08-10-2013, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 91
people playing on console need to see games running on a high end PC with all the eye candy turned up- Crysis 3, Metro: Last Light, Bioshock: Infinite, Battlefield 3 etc...the new consoles will only help PC's as everything will now be DX11 with less console ports...can't wait to see what Witcher 3 will look like eek.gif
post #39 of 218 Old 08-10-2013, 01:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

people playing on console need to see games running on a high end PC with all the eye candy turned up- Crysis 3, Metro: Last Light, Bioshock: Infinite, Battlefield 3 etc...the new consoles will only help PC's as everything will now be DX11 with less console ports...can't wait to see what Witcher 3 will look like eek.gif

Graphics don't impress me, as I'm an old skool gamer from back in the day (Atari 2600, Commodor 64, Colecovision etc) so as far as I'm concerned, everything these days has awesome graphics. For me its more about control scheme (can't stand keyboard/mouse controls) and content (the vast majority of games I purchase are console exclusive and not to be found on PC's like JRPG's and many Action/Adventure games like Castlevania, Devil May Cry, Bayonetta etc)

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #40 of 218 Old 08-10-2013, 01:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post

Graphics don't impress me, as I'm an old skool gamer from back in the day (Atari 2600, Commodor 64, Colecovision etc) so as far as I'm concerned, everything these days has awesome graphics. For me its more about control scheme (can't stand keyboard/mouse controls) and content (the vast majority of games I purchase are console exclusive and not to be found on PC's like JRPG's and many Action/Adventure games like Castlevania, Devil May Cry, Bayonetta etc)

I agree about content trumping graphics...but when you can have both it's the perfect mix...I think controls just taking getting used to...I tried using the Xbox controller (with PC games) and it felt strange to me and it never felt natural...I was always thinking too much about which buttons to push instead of reacting...but over time if I was forced to I would adapt

some of my all time favorite games have average to terrible graphics but excellent gameplay...Dark Souls (PC) and System Shock 2 being 2 examples (although both games are greatly improved with mods, which is another reason I prefer PC over consoles...you can't install mods on a console)
post #41 of 218 Old 08-10-2013, 01:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 601
The Wii has been collecting dust in the garage for the last 3 years. The PS3 is only use for bluray movies or Netflix, and the XBOX is used for kenict of online gaming.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #42 of 218 Old 08-10-2013, 02:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

The Wii has been collecting dust in the garage for the last 3 years. The PS3 is only use for bluray movies or Netflix, and the XBOX is used for kenict of online gaming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

My nephew went and hooked our Wii up to a TV and wirelessly streamed Netflix over analog RCA and I was very surprised with the quality of the picture.
post #43 of 218 Old 08-10-2013, 03:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Mostly PS3 and 360. Love the convenience of console gaming.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #44 of 218 Old 08-10-2013, 04:08 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have a 2 foot branding of the letters PC across my chest and named my first born daughter computer games. Yeah its alright....

My Equipment:

Fusion 12 Tempest (LCR)
DIY Sealed 18" Dayton HO Refrence Subs (2)
Electricity
post #45 of 218 Old 08-10-2013, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 95
PS3 for me play games once in a while,watch alot movies with it,the X-box-360 for the kids
post #46 of 218 Old 08-10-2013, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 27
where is the poll choice for Mac ?
post #47 of 218 Old 08-10-2013, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am mainly a PC gamer but have the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii for exclusives. I have passed over the WiiU as I haven't seen any compelling games. I use a Vizio M551d-A2 as my main screen for gaming.
post #48 of 218 Old 08-10-2013, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

For the guys voting PC....do you usually play connected to your TV/PJ, at a desk, or a little of both?

Its funny you ask that. I had my pc hooked up to the 73" DLP, seats have shakers(leather motorized recliners), all connected to 7.1 surround. I had the keyboard on one tray table, mouse on the other. Bad Bad idea. 1 week of playing Mechwarrior Online and BF3 I had to get the pc off there!! Too addicting, kept me from the gym, lol. Back on the 24 incher for now..... Mechwarrior was freakin epic with the seat shakers and 73 inches of goodness Felt so real.

Cool Beans.
post #49 of 218 Old 08-10-2013, 07:45 AM

Liked: 39
From reading this thread I wonder how many ps3 owners would have bought the Xbox if it had blu ray?

Ps3 here going for Xbox one now that it comes with blu ray.
post #50 of 218 Old 08-10-2013, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ps3 for gaming, Xbox 360 collecting dust and the wii for Netflix in the bedroom.

Bxbigpipi
post #51 of 218 Old 08-10-2013, 09:16 AM

Liked: 10
With all these double and triple owners, that probably explains why the poll adds up to 170%!
post #52 of 218 Old 08-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Was predominately a PS3 gamer with a 360 and Wii in tow, but gave up on my 360 and Wii and a while ago and gave them away.

About a year ago I started to see the graphics plateau the PS3 hit, especially at 110 inches with my Optoma HD33 projector so I switched to an i7/GTX 670 PC gaming set up and that has been my platform of choice for gaming every since, especially when it comes to 3D, relegating the PS3 to it's exclusives.

I've pre-ordered a PS4 so I'm sure the PlayStation will get more "play" come the fall, but thinking I'll still lean PC for Multiplatform games.

Quote:

For the guys voting PC....do you usually play connected to your TV/PJ, at a desk, or a little of both?

Exclusively on the projector, 110 inches, about 12 feet, using a Dualshock 3 in conjunction with MotioninJoy

PSN: futurecode
post #53 of 218 Old 08-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I personally have a PC connected to both a desktop monitor w/ mouse and keyboard, and a few 75ft cables running down to my HT setup.  I always play anything that supports it with an Xbox controller in the HT, but for RTS and such I stick to the mouse/kb at the desktop.  Still haven't quite figured out a decent setup for mouse/kb on a couch, although I'm not even sure I'd even use it if I could.

To be honest I'm a little surprised there's such a strong showing on the PC front. Glad to see it though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

If you do please let me know. I'd love to buy more games like Call of Duty for PC instead of 360. It's not even so much about graphics given that I'm using a Trinity A10 - I just love the idea of the all in one box and being able to launch games from the main home theater front end.

Haven't thought about it in a while but being a Gamepad since birth guy, but more of PC gamer as of late, I've always wanted to give the Logitech G13 a whirl in conjunction with a mouse, seems like it would be the easiest and most practical solution to bring the keyboard/mouse combo to the couch.

I might actually bite the bullet and get one and give it a whirl, I think it would work well ...... in theory.

post #54 of 218 Old 08-10-2013, 12:13 PM

Liked: 13
I have all of those, don't like to miss out on some of the future exclusive games that come to them all. I've never liked to stick to one platform, they all rock! smile.gif
porkys8077 likes this.

post #55 of 218 Old 08-10-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 1464
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode View Post

Was predominately a PS3 gamer with a 360 and Wii in tow, but gave up on my 360 and Wii and a while ago and gave them away.

About a year ago I started to see the graphics plateau the PS3 hit, especially at 110 inches with my Optoma HD33 projector so I switched to an i7/GTX 670 PC gaming set up and that has been my platform of choice for gaming every since, especially when it comes to 3D, relegating the PS3 to it's exclusives.

Kind of the same story here. Loved consoles when I was a kid, but jumped to PCs when 3D accelerators first came out. Then went back to almost exclusively console in 07-08, since PCs didnt play nice with all my HT gear. But by 2012 the the consoles had become so ancient, and PCs were getting so couch friendly that I jumped mostly back to PC.

Have to wonder how much ground the consoles lost to PCs because they stretched the generation out for so long. Had the PS4 come out in 2011, I'd probably never have gotten back into PC.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #56 of 218 Old 08-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Kind of the same story here. Loved consoles when I was a kid, but jumped to PCs when 3D accelerators first came out. Then went back to almost exclusively console in 07-08, since PCs didnt play nice with all my HT gear. But by 2012 the the consoles had become so ancient, and PCs were getting so couch friendly that I jumped mostly back to PC.

Have to wonder how much ground the consoles lost to PCs because they stretched the generation out for so long. Had the PS4 come out in 2011, I'd probably never have gotten back into PC.

The consoles did start to show their age about year or so ago, but for people who game on projectors like you and me, that age was much more a punch to the face graphically than people who game on 4-60 inch sets at 10-15 feet. It's a blemish in inches, in feet it's a disfigurement.

Besides FIFA and some Uncharted I'm predominantly and offline, single player campaign guy. So graphics and 3D capability are at the top of my list of "wants" when it comes to gaming, the general public seems to not care as much ...... Then again they have never seen Laura Crofts hair with TressFX on so they just don't know what they are missing wink.gif

Plus you can't discount cost. We all know a good PC cost bucks, my set-up (i7 2600k, 8GB, GTX 670) cost me just north of $1,100, and that was with crazy "deal" watching. While I had zero issues dumping that kinda of money into a system, I'm not the norm. Combine that with begin only a year in and already feeling my rig could use an upgraded graphics card soon, it's even a more bitter pill to swallow.

post #57 of 218 Old 08-10-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 1464
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode View Post

The consoles did start to show their age about year or so ago, but for people who game on projectors like you and me, that age was much more a punch to the face graphically than people who game on 4-60 inch sets at 10-15 feet. It's a blemish in inches, in feet it's a disfigurement.

Besides FIFA and some Uncharted I'm predominantly and offline, single player campaign guy. So graphics and 3D capability are at the top of my list of "wants" when it comes to gaming, the general public seems to not care as much ...... Then again they have never seen Laura Crofts hair with TressFX on so they just don't know what they are missing wink.gif

Plus you can't discount cost. We all know a good PC cost bucks, my set-up (i7 2600k, 8GB, GTX 670) cost me just north of $1,100, and that was with crazy "deal" watching. While I had zero issues dumping that kinda of money into a system, I'm not the norm. Combine that with begin only a year in and already feeling my rig could use an upgraded graphics card soon, it's even a more bitter pill to swallow.

Sure, but you get what you pay for. I think that's the one challenge consoles need to make to stay relevant...they need more than just an inexpensive model, they need a whole range that gets better over time. Technology moves too fast nowadays for any piece of gear to last 7-8 years. Its amazing what they managed to squeeze out of that xbox, but for years all I wanted to do was throw money at them, and I couldnt.    

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #58 of 218 Old 08-10-2013, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Ps3 and pc.....ps3 for online and offline gaming plus youtube crackle bluray watching and pc for Facebook gaming and printing cheats for my ps3. Mobile gaming is on the rise.
post #59 of 218 Old 08-10-2013, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post

where is the poll choice for Mac ?

I meant "PC" in the most general sense, so the Mac would be included there.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #60 of 218 Old 08-10-2013, 01:41 PM

PS3 owner here, used to be a pc gamer, but finally gave up for upgrading hardware

Bedroom theater
Dynaudio DM 2/6 - Dynaudio DM Center - Def tech pro monitor 600 - Def Tech Prosub 600 - Marantz NR1402 - Bantam Gold Power Amp - Clark Synthesis tst 239 - Dune H1 - PS3
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Xbox 360 Console , Playstation 3 160gb System , Playstation 3 320gb System , Wii , Nintendo Wii U Game Console 32 Gb Flash , Polls
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page