Which Game Platform(s) Do You Use? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which Game Platform(s) Do You Use?
Microsoft Xbox 360 482 25.22%
Nintendo Wii 243 12.72%
Nintendo Wii U 89 4.66%
Sony PlayStation 3 621 32.50%
PC 478 25.01%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1911. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 218 Old 08-11-2013, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

most people don't want (or don't know how) to update anything on their PC's such as video card drivers hence the reason a lot of people prefer consoles...they are simple to use with no upkeep required (any updates are automatically downloaded)...ALL games created for consoles are optimized for that system...the biggest issue with PC is probably the upgrade cycle...to maintain the highest frame rates and graphics quality requires frequent upgrades...plus not all games are optimized in the same way...Bioshock Infinite had major issues for AMD owners when first released...Tomb Raider had issues for Nvidia owners...RAGE had texture pop in issues which wasn't patched for months...all these things contribute to the perception that consoles are 'better'

Yes I think the brand problems is the main thing I hate...these games run best on ATI graphics...others prefer Nvidia....an yet others have problems with a specific Intel processor etc...so many variables...it didn't matter 10 years ago because I was on top of all of that....but now after being out of the PC arena for so long I see a huge learning curve. I'm naturally a tweaker but I like actually enjoying my tweaks too without random brand related bugs. Nonetheless as the other poster said I do see signs that everything is easier nowadays compared to years ago. I didn't know about the controller setup. Thats pretty cool. I know back in the day very few games supported controllers.

Mancave System:
Mains: RF-7IIs
Center: RC-62 (need to upgrade)
Surrounds: RF-82s
Display: Optoma 1080p 3d projector with 120" Screen
Misc: PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Roku 3, Harman receiver, Wii, Blu Ray player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 218 Old 08-11-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjennings2510 View Post

Yes I think the brand problems is the main thing I hate...these games run best on ATI graphics...others prefer Nvidia....an yet others have problems with a specific Intel processor etc...so many variables...it didn't matter 10 years ago because I was on top of all of that....but now after being out of the PC arena for so long I see a huge learning curve. I'm naturally a tweaker but I like actually enjoying my tweaks too without random brand related bugs. Nonetheless as the other poster said I do see signs that everything is easier nowadays compared to years ago. I didn't know about the controller setup. Thats pretty cool. I know back in the day very few games supported controllers.

there are still 'features' which are exclusive to certain hardware...for example PhysX is limited to Nvidia hardware...a new hair simulation feature called TressFX (used in the new Tomb Raider game) was created by AMD and is supposed to be open source but will most likely be optimized for AMD hardware...hardware exclusives are a major thumbs down for the PC industry...not to mention the fact that no one knows what impact the next-gen consoles will have on the PC industry since both will be using AMD hardware...how this will affect Nvidia is yet to be seen
post #93 of 218 Old 08-11-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

there are still 'features' which are exclusive to certain hardware...for example PhysX is limited to Nvidia hardware...a new hair simulation feature called TressFX (used in the new Tomb Raider game) was created by AMD and is supposed to be open source but will most likely be optimized for AMD hardware...hardware exclusives are a major thumbs down for the PC industry...not to mention the fact that no one knows what impact the next-gen consoles will have on the PC industry since both will be using AMD hardware...how this will affect Nvidia is yet to be seen

Sounds very interesting. I will have to check out PhysX and TressFX....I have always been an ATI guy as I'm sure you figured out from my earlier lengthy post, lol...Intel for processors, ATI for graphics and Kingston for memory...thermaltake for power....But with me being an ATI guy I'm happy about the consoles using their graphics. I was impressed when I purchased my Gamecube back in the day and saw the ATI badge on it....I think Nvidea will still be fine because I had friends that were opposite from me...Strictly AMD processors and Nvidia Graphics etc. They have their hardcore fans not to mention the people that will buy them strictly because the games they want run best with exclusive features only on Nvidia....I will check out PhysX and TressFX...you may get me back into PC gaming....the HT is pretty much done now and I love tech stuff. My only concern will be the possible hassles. I will research everything a little more

Mancave System:
Misc: PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Roku 3, Harman receiver, Wii, Blu Ray player
post #94 of 218 Old 08-11-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 1390
Quote:

Yeah, don't get me wrong...it's not quite 100% hassle-free compared to consoles yet, but it's so much better than it used to be. The hardware specific stuff is just fringe stuff, both AMD and NVIDIA have comparable offerings at any given price point. CUDA and PhysX will be obsolete due to OpenCL and DirectCompute once the new consoles hit anyway.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #95 of 218 Old 08-11-2013, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I was into PC gaming 10+ years ago, like back when the radeon 9700pro was the best video card out. My computer aged and i got out of it. Recently got a PS3 for bluray playback but ended up getting a few games for it too
post #96 of 218 Old 08-11-2013, 03:44 PM

Liked: 14
XBOX 360 and PS3

post #97 of 218 Old 08-11-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 45
You can enable PhysX with an AMD card in a game like Borderlands 2 by shifting the load to the CPU. All this means is that you'll need a decent CPU if you want to maintain playable framerates. On my 3770k, I get a few dips here and there, but it's worth it since the game feels more alive with PhysX enabled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

I run dual and can run 3 if i wanted but i never game on more than one. the bezels just piss me off. If someone made a zero bezel monitor so there was not a .5-1 inch black band between screens id fire it up again
I hate the bezels as well. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidcorpse View Post

I own a PS3, but I never play games on it. I've never really cared for gaming. Basically, when I hear guys talking about gaming, I respond with (and sorry for being crude here), "you have fun with all that....I'm gonna go have sex with girls!" I purchased a PS3 because I wanted something that could serve as a media hub, play blu rays, stream Netflix, etc.
Don't take this the wrong way, but you sound like Lieberman or Thompson when they talk about gaming...completely uneducated on the subject. Here are a few facts about gamers, keeping in mind that it includes both casual and hardcore gamers.
post #98 of 218 Old 08-11-2013, 04:10 PM

Liked: 10
I play games on 2 PC's ( Laptop & Desktop), 2 PS3's (1 is used as a dedicated bluray player in my home theater) , Xbox 360 & WII.... all in that order.

As a poster above said, its mostly dependant on the game, FPS, RPG & MMO -> PC. Action/Platform, Sports -> PS3 & Xbox. Family Games -> WII.

And my wife plays (Candy Crush Saga) on my Ipad, so its slowly becoming her Ipad.. frown.gif
post #99 of 218 Old 08-11-2013, 04:15 PM

Liked: 13
PS3 and XBOX 360. Both are my main platforms for gaming.
post #100 of 218 Old 08-11-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:

I own a PS3, but I never play games on it. I've never really cared for gaming. Basically, when I hear guys talking about gaming, I respond with (and sorry for being crude here), "you have fun with all that....I'm gonna go have sex with girls!" I purchased a PS3 because I wanted something that could serve as a media hub, play blu rays, stream Netflix, etc.

Gimme a break, saying that makes you sound like a 13 year old kid trying to be cool. Get married and try it with the same person for a few years, You'll be glad you have some games to play biggrin.gif
hyghwayman likes this.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #101 of 218 Old 08-11-2013, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:

Who gave this middle-school kid an AVS account? Any adult would know gaming and sex are not linked; an adult would also know that a surplus or deficiency in one is not directly related to a surplus or deficiency in the other.

Kids...confused.gif

Flavius likes this.

The Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| The System:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #102 of 218 Old 08-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 46
I am glad you are doing this. I have ALL the platforms. smile.gif But I expect this site to focus on the console with the reference quality video and BluRay playback. Today, that is the PS3. Tomorrow, well, we'll have to see, but most likely PS4.
post #103 of 218 Old 08-11-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Yeah, don't get me wrong...it's not quite 100% hassle-free compared to consoles yet, but it's so much better than it used to be. The hardware specific stuff is just fringe stuff, both AMD and NVIDIA have comparable offerings at any given price point. CUDA and PhysX will be obsolete due to OpenCL and DirectCompute once the new consoles hit anyway.

Thats cool to know...I can't wait for the new consoles to come out...Generally I'm blown away each generation....hopefully these new systems won't disappoint! Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on one or both for the holidays

Mancave System:
post #104 of 218 Old 08-11-2013, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

You might be surprised how many women game these days. my wife games and years ago i had a girl seduce me by claiming she was "scared" to play silent hill by herself so she brought it over to my apartment to play....at 12am. so yeah, i think i'll play some games AND have some sex after!
BrolicBeast and Chris5028 like this.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #105 of 218 Old 08-11-2013, 10:20 PM

Liked: 18
I can also confirm that there's no inverse relationship between sex and gaming. I quit gaming completely for 6 years and still couldn't get laid.
Chris5028 likes this.
post #106 of 218 Old 08-11-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:

Uh, it seems we have The man in the forum. What an ignorant guy... and sorry for being crude here ; )

Back on topic:

I own the three systems and playing sports games on the Wii with my family is really funny on rainy days or those weekends when too tired to go out. PS3 is for my personal playing and mostly watching BD's. While 360 with Kinect is barely used for some familiar reunions. Don't like PC gaming maybe because I work all days with computers and don't use to play FPS.
post #107 of 218 Old 08-11-2013, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 85
PC on a plasma display. I used to have a PS3 but sold it since I rarely touched it after building my gaming rig.

post #108 of 218 Old 08-12-2013, 03:19 AM

Liked: 11
I use the Sony PlayStation 3 on my 60 inch Mitsubishi DLP HDTV most of the time not only as a videogame system but as my main blu-ray disc player and video watching device. The Xbox 360 I used to use when it 1st came out as videogame console but I use it now as a video watching device. Great poll question Scott Wilkinson.
post #109 of 218 Old 08-12-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

I am glad you are doing this. I have ALL the platforms. smile.gif But I expect this site to focus on the console with the reference quality video and BluRay playback. Today, that is the PS3. Tomorrow, well, we'll have to see, but most likely PS4.
I too thought there would be more discussion on video quality and the PS4/XBOX up coming releases.
I enjoyed the read down memory lane and miss my old PC games! And agree for the most part with everyone. For me I've invested a lot in my home theater and enjoy what little time I have on movies and a brief PS3 game. Now talk to me about an even better picture on my 10FT screen and you can take my hard earned cash away from the movies and back to games!
post #110 of 218 Old 08-12-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstahl View Post

I too thought there would be more discussion on video quality and the PS4/XBOX up coming releases.
I enjoyed the read down memory lane and miss my old PC games! And agree for the most part with everyone. For me I've invested a lot in my home theater and enjoy what little time I have on movies and a brief PS3 game. Now talk to me about an even better picture on my 10FT screen and you can take my hard earned cash away from the movies and back to games!

Well, there's a ton of discussion going on in the gaming subforums.

As far as gaming visual quality goes, the PS4 will almost certainly be a step ahead of the Xbox one...but they'll still be way behind PCs, so I'm not sure how much that matters in the long run.

As far as movie video quality goes....I can't imagine either will have difficulty with blu-ray, 4K, 3D or anything video related. Sony seems to get it right more often when it comes to the minutiae of video quality, but MS seems to be ahead of them when it comes to getting content.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #111 of 218 Old 08-12-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 212
I used to have a 360, played a few games on it (halo & Forza) and later gave it to my cousin because his had the RROD. My launch PS3 has still been going strong and serves as the BD player in my HT room. I have the PS4 launch edition ordered and I cannot wait to see what that thing can do!

October HorrorFest Participant
post #112 of 218 Old 08-12-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:

Well, there's a ton of discussion going on in the gaming subforums.

As far as gaming visual quality goes, the PS4 will almost certainly be a step ahead of the Xbox one...but they'll still be way behind PCs, so I'm not sure how much that matters in the long run.

As far as movie video quality goes....I can't imagine either will have difficulty with blu-ray, 4K, 3D or anything video related. Sony seems to get it right more often when it comes to the minutiae of video quality, but MS seems to be ahead of them when it comes to getting content.

The PS4 over XboxOne is debatable at best, the ps3 was rated the better machine than the 360 but games still looked fairly similar and sometimes the 360 would look better. And spec wise they are even more similar in this next gen war. Alo sony sucks at software where Microsoft has them whooped. So again debatable.

Anyhow i have them all except for the wii. I normally play my xbox360 and once in a while playstation throws Infamaus, Resistance, MGS4, Last of us, good type of game and makes me play the ps3. For blu-ray play i got myself a separate player, the fans on the ps3 are ridiculously loud. (Oh yes still rocking the 1st generation PS3).

End of the day the games, their content and experience will determine this next gen console war.
post #113 of 218 Old 08-12-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPMorph View Post

The PS4 over XboxOne is debatable at best, the ps3 was rated the better machine than the 360 but games still looked fairly similar and sometimes the 360 would look better. And spec wise they are even more similar in this next gen war. Alo sony sucks at software where Microsoft has them whooped. So again debatable.

Anyhow i have them all except for the wii. I normally play my xbox360 and once in a while playstation throws Infamaus, Resistance, MGS4, Last of us, good type of game and makes me play the ps3. For blu-ray play i got myself a separate player, the fans on the ps3 are ridiculously loud. (Oh yes still rocking the 1st generation PS3).

End of the day the games, their content and experience will determine this next gen console war.

Yes it is debatable but likewise the Xbox had a full year headstart so developers were more comfortable programming for it....They hated programming for the Cell....which is why most multiplatform games run better on Xbox...but the exclusives really flex the power of the PS3. Like Uncharted...God of War 3 etc. Nonetheless they are close and yes this next generation will probably be closer but I expect the exclusives to once again flex their muscles on each system. And I'm surprised your fans are so loud. My PS3 is dang near silent at around 4 feet away while my Xbox fans have that annoying whine. One reason why I haven't put a PC in my theater yet. Worried about noise. Nonetheless I'm excited and will probably have both....Sony might suck with software (I guess it helps when your company makes the most used OS in the world right Microsoft? smile.gif ) but they are more open to new concepts and know how to put out quality exclusives.

Not trying to start a which is better debate. They are both good systems. Just stating my opinion.
MPMorph likes this.

Mancave System:
post #114 of 218 Old 08-12-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:

Yes it is debatable but likewise the Xbox had a full year headstart so developers were more comfortable programming for it....They hated programming for the Cell....which is why most multiplatform games run better on Xbox...but the exclusives really flex the power of the PS3. Like Uncharted...God of War 3 etc. Nonetheless they are close and yes this next generation will probably be closer but I expect the exclusives to once again flex their muscles on each system. And I'm surprised your fans are so loud. My PS3 is dang near silent at around 4 feet away while my Xbox fans have that annoying whine. One reason why I haven't put a PC in my theater yet. Worried about noise. Nonetheless I'm excited and will probably have both....Sony might suck with software (I guess it helps when your company makes the most used OS in the world right Microsoft? smile.gif ) but they are more open to new concepts and know how to put out quality exclusives.

Not trying to start a which is better debate. They are both good systems. Just stating my opinion.

QFT. Wasn't trying to start that debate either. Just stating my personal experience. Its beyond me why my PS3 is so loud maybe it needs some cleaning.

But definitely exclusive content will determine the next console war. But currently at our house the 360 won, because of game content and because of the Windows media center. We have one in each room connecting to my HTPC with a ceton card, everybody in the house uses it to watch tv and record their shows, plus their gaming!
post #115 of 218 Old 08-12-2013, 09:37 AM

PS3 for me, though I own an Xbox 360 a Wii and an older gaming PC.

The PS3 serves as a media center, BD player and gaming rig. All I could ever want in a console!

The Wii was fun for a time but has lost it's charm. The 360 turned me off when I realized I had to pay for a Live Gold subscription to watch Netflix. ThePC simply became to expensive to update continuously.

post #116 of 218 Old 08-12-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPMorph View Post

QFT. Wasn't trying to start that debate either. Just stating my personal experience. Its beyond me why my PS3 is so loud maybe it needs some cleaning.

But definitely exclusive content will determine the next console war. But currently at our house the 360 won, because of game content and because of the Windows media center. We have one in each room connecting to my HTPC with a ceton card, everybody in the house uses it to watch tv and record their shows, plus their gaming!

Thats pretty cool. I wanted to do the same thing since I had a computer that had Windows Media Center 2005 back when the 360 came out. And as luck would have it 90% of my vids were in the wrong formats...now when it did work it looked great...but likewise I was trying to archive all of my DVDs at the time so that I could have a movie server..but that would have required me to convert everything which took hours per movie back then. So I gave up on it. Plus my PC did have a tv tuner built into my ATI video card but I just ended up using my Tivo. Maybe the new systems will support streaming Blu Ray files that way I can go back to my goal of having a movie server....with the Dolby and DTS custom promos playing before every movie like in the theaters! But yes the media center extender is cool and I actually wanted one when it was just a stand alone box (dang I feel old) and once they released the 360 I was ecstatic. They just need more format support. Hopefully the One will add to it. I'm sure transcoding on the fly is possible but that requires some beefy power in your PC.

Mancave System:
post #117 of 218 Old 08-12-2013, 10:06 AM

Liked: 13
I personally have PS3 and Xbox 360 (and a Wii in a closet somewhere). Actually in the house there are 2 PS3's and 4 Xbox 360's. PS3 is basically for Netflix and Blu-rays. 99% of all gaming is done on the Xbox and projector set-up. When the new consoles drop, I'll get those. Started as a PC gamer (about 100 years ago, it seems), but cannot beat the convenience and immersion of sitting on the couch and playing on a big screen.
post #118 of 218 Old 08-12-2013, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

For the guys voting PC....do you usually play connected to your TV/PJ, at a desk, or a little of both?

I had my PC hooked up to my TV. It was awesome gaming with my home theater setup but have since moved it to a dedicated area in the garage. It isn't as great sounding since I went to a HTiB setup when I moved my computer but I bought myself a 27 inch 2k monitor so the overall improvement in picture quality balances things out. Plus it's nice having a space all my own. Yes, it is in the garage. Yes it gets humid as hell in here but living in a house with 3 females, 4 including the dog, I'll take what I can get!

I also have a 360, Wii and PS3. The Wii rarely gets used.

post #119 of 218 Old 08-12-2013, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My PS3 gets the most use for games (and does extra work as a blu-ray and Netflix player). It is hooked up in our primary theater along with a PS2, original XBox, and a Sega Dreamcast.

Our basement theater has a Wii, Nintendo 64, Super Nintendo, original NES, and an Atari 2600. Thankfully my wife does not complain about all the consoles filling our equipment racks.

I rarely use my gaming PC but occasionally I fire up one of the old school XWing games. Those are still incredible even though they are about 20 years old now! I built my gaming PC nearly 9 years ago so it would struggle with modern games.
post #120 of 218 Old 08-12-2013, 01:04 PM

I'd probably have to say PC. But I'm really not a big fan of wintel .. Especially the Windows part (hint Linux man). If I we have to select what people actually buy I'd have to go that way.. In my dreams I'd probably would have said X1000 hehe.
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Xbox 360 Console , Playstation 3 160gb System , Playstation 3 320gb System , Wii , Nintendo Wii U Game Console 32 Gb Flash , Polls
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page