Which Game Platform(s) Do You Use? - Page 8 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which Game Platform(s) Do You Use?
Microsoft Xbox 360 482 25.22%
Nintendo Wii 243 12.72%
Nintendo Wii U 89 4.66%
Sony PlayStation 3 621 32.50%
PC 478 25.01%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1911. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 218 Old 03-04-2014, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougofthenorth View Post

Well I guess smoking kills more that humans eh?

It will take a while for the latest GFX cards to be rendered useless - anyone who went with QuadFire or 4X, 6X Sli - will be in it for still at least a good few more years.

I suspect When Direct X 11 & beyond ONLY games are produced with no retro-patches - then "older" ones will be toast...
Tests done with PCI 3 vs PCI 2, doesn't even show much of a difference either.

I hope at some point that the GFX CPUS will ACTUALLY do the GFX work, rather than still relying so heavily on CPU use.
Essentially removing the FSB bridge to the RAM helped a lot, but still...
I use multiple demountable drives & my "game" drive is stripped down to run only bare OS essentials, so virtually nothing runs in the background - that also helps.

There is also so much "discussion" about 4K gaming on a monitor vs seating differences, due to the acuity limits of the human eye
- same issue as for 4K TVs in HT rooms - I follow the science
- sitting ~ 3 feet from the screen, is why I always bought the "Pro" series monitors which are 3 to 4 (or more) times the cost of a "normal" one - they are used in graphics & scientific labs, vs offices.
They also have/had a minimum 3-5 year warranty & a 0 dead pixel & at your door replacement policy, at least when I bought my lastest one 3-4 years ago.
See http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/646265-REG/HP_Hewlett_Packard_GV546A8_ABA_DreamColor_LP2480zx_24_Professional.html

My old equivalent one 12+ years old is still being used by my wife - she finally wanted a WS, so I had an excuse to freshen up!

I'm sure that the picture on that monitor is better than mine, but there is no way I'd pay over 5x the price for a gaming monitor. To me, that's crazy unless you are doing graphics work on it as well.

EDIT: The overheating on my 680 is a repeat; it happened with the first one I got, when it blew up after less than 6mos. of use. So no, the smoke didn't kill either one, but I do know that it helped kill my 580 in two years, because while I cleaned the case and the card's fan/blower areas, I never took it apart, and when my son did, he found that the smoke had caused the dust to cling around the possibly already crappy paste job.

I ate that loss, not knowing that, because smoking is still legal, I would have gotten a replacement card if I'd requested an RMA, but I felt like it was my fault, so I just dropped the issue and bought a 680. The difference for me was that the way the blower system on the stock nVidia cards are designed, you'd have to take the shroud off to clean the fins and other areas inside. I don't have that problem with the new 780 because you can get inside via the fan areas.

i7-2600k @4.4ghz/gtx 780(stock clocks)/Samsung 830 @256gb/WD Veloc. 1TB/Sound via Sony 7.1ch cheapo/B&W 601se/KEF C-40(dual-8"driver mini-towers)/(arriving soon)SVS PB-1000 sub/FiiO E17 Alpen DAC/Audio Technica M50 headphones(never used! heheh)/Crossover 2560x1440 monitor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 218 Old 03-24-2014, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I see that a good percentage of us use a PC for gaming.

Of those of you (us) that have an HTPC, what do you use as a controller?

I believe a big advantage of a mouse over an Xbox type controller is instant and precise cursor movement instead of scrolling across the screen. I used a PS3 for many years. That said, most of us with an HTPC are likely to play from our couch rather than at a desk. This makes a keyboard and mouse awkward for me and I don't get the response I would like from my wireless mouse and keyboard.

Do you settle for the Xbox type, some kind of mouse/keyboard setup or a controller like a Logitech G-13 or Razer Tartarus?

post #213 of 218 Old 03-24-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 1380
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSpeedRon View Post

I believe a big advantage of a mouse over an Xbox type controller is instant and precise cursor movement instead of scrolling across the screen. I used a PS3 for many years. That said, most of us with an HTPC are likely to play from our couch rather than at a desk. This makes a keyboard and mouse awkward for me and I don't get the response I would like from my wireless mouse and keyboard.

Do you settle for the Xbox type, some kind of mouse/keyboard setup or a controller like a Logitech G-13 or Razer Tartarus?

I use an Xbox gamepad on my TV/projector, and mouse/KB at my desk. I'd prefer to use the dual shock 4, but the configuration is too tricky when you're mixing and match with Xbox controllers. (All the displays are wired to a single PC in my office.)

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #214 of 218 Old 03-25-2014, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSpeedRon View Post

Driving games that are more simulation oriented - Steering Wheel
Arcade racers - Xbox360 Controller
Most 3rd person games - Xbox360 Controller
First Person Shooters - Mouse & Keyboard

I couldn't imagine playing a first person shooter with anything other than a mouse and keyboard. Well actually I can, and did, when I had a xbox 360 and it was horrible along with the blocky and blurry graphics and slower framerates (compared to a PC)....
post #215 of 218 Old 03-25-2014, 06:52 PM

Liked: 12

Made some changes to the media unit, notable I got a PS3 and moved the media centre pc across the room.

Currently running:

• PS2
  • PS3
  • Original Xbox
  • Xbox360
  • PC/HTPC
  • Nintendo Wii

As for controlling the HTPC I have a logitech combined keyboard trackpad that runs on some AAA batteries. It's served me well for about a year. Also have the wireless Xbox adapter for the PC so I can play games with the controller on the TV.

PebblesHD

Student at UTS (Computer Science)

Speakers: Rebuilt Onkyo S-510; Amplifier: Technics SA-GX130 (Placeholder for Yamaha M-4 and NAD 7020 Pre)

post #216 of 218 Old 03-26-2014, 09:39 AM

Liked: 15

Need to update this poll now that PS4 and XBox One are out... Loving my XBox One so far!

post #217 of 218 Old 03-26-2014, 06:26 PM

Liked: 10

Me too! I'm glad I can finally play blu rays on the xbox now. I used to use PS3 exclusively for the blu ray playing and Xbox for all my games. 

post #218 of 218 Old 03-30-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I have all the consoles mentioned in the poll, but I seldom use them. My enthusiasm for games came and went a while back. I think I would like to get back into gaming someday, so I keep buying consoles out of habit. Just in case. I worked a little on recoding the old tty-style Adventure, and later I worked a lot on implementing multichannel sound on free PC games, years ago, but except for a few simple arcade games, I never much liked to play them, myself. I spent most playing time, probably, on the N64, playing Zelda, then I also played some Gamecube games. My wife and I had fun playing the tennis game on the Wii, when it first came out, but I got good enough to beat her consistently, and then she wouldn't play with me any longer.

Greg Lee
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Xbox 360 Console , Playstation 3 160gb System , Playstation 3 320gb System , Wii , Nintendo Wii U Game Console 32 Gb Flash , Polls
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page